What is YOUR philisophical view of life!?!

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Shadowsun;31280817]Funny coincidence, because I discovered the meaning of life a few days ago:D. Richard Dawkins told me.:thumbsup:

Hehe, this is my view on the matter of course, but I think some people will agree with me. As I firmly believe in no God and no afterlife, our ultimate purpose is to spread our "selfish genes". But because I don't believe in an afterlife, this time I spend here on this world is so much more magical. We humans have the gift of being able to think about these things, to learn more things about our world, the secrets of the universe are ours to unravel. What an adventure. Enjoy, you only get one chance and you're VERY lucky to be here. I'd like to quote Dr. Dawkins:
born
We are going to die and that makes us the lucky ones.
Yes we have the gift of this life and we should make better use of it than just eating sleeping and dying.
Most people are never going to die because they're never going to be born.
What nonsense. People who are never born are never people.

This truly touched me and gave me my answer. To me, no creator makes everything seem more magical than with one.
I see nothing magical about having no hope of being any more significant than an insect, after I and the insect are both dead.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I see nothing magical about having no hope of being any more significant than an insect, after I and the insect are both dead.

After both of you are dead, neither of you are a human being or an insect.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Reactions: nadroj1985
Upvote 0

Shadowsun

Jan 29, 2007
✟7,667.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
No, actually with this he means that the universe could have unfolded in countless other ways. The fact that you are here at this time means you are incredibly lucky. Our existence is but a tiny spotlight inching along the giant ruler of time. And the chances of you existing here nad now are immensly small. Behind us, everything is covered in the darkness of the past, and in fornt of us, everything is dark because we cannot predict everything what will come to pass. So what matters is our time now.

Indeed, you are no more significant than an insect. But that means we have no preset purpose (except passing on genes, which is basically what animals live for). Us humans are different in that we have the luck of having the power to think about all this, thus being able to create our own goals and purposes.

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Quote:

No, actually with this he means that the universe could have unfolded in countless other ways. The fact that you are here at this time means you are incredibly lucky. Our existence is but a tiny spotlight inching along the giant ruler of time. And the chances of you existing here nad now are immensly small. Behind us, everything is covered in the darkness of the past, and in fornt of us, everything is dark because we cannot predict everything what will come to pass. So what matters is our time now.
I agree with all that but it has nothing to do with all the people who were never born and therefore never people.
If God does not exist, He does not matter. If people never exist they do not matter.
Quote:

Indeed, you are no more significant than an insect.
That is not magical to me or wonderful nor from my observations of the insects around me is it reasonable.

But that means we have no preset purpose (except passing on genes, which is basically what animals live for).
If that is true we have no hope for anything much. We live a brief spark and die and it doesn't matter. This is not magical or wonderful to me.
Us humans are different in that we have the luck of having the power to think about all this, thus being able to create our own goals and purposes.
Right on. That makes it where we have hope that we can get a glimpse of why we exist as we do and why we have this ability that the other animals do not have. If we have this ability, it may not be coincidence. There may be a reason for it and if there is a reason for it, there is a mind or being that we can consider the existence of and what the purpose of that mind or being might be in causing us to be here as we are. It just might not be luck and we might be able to not just create our own meaning but create our meaning that coincides with the reason we exist. If we are succesful in finding and creating the meaning behind the reason we are here, perhaps, our limited life span will not be ultimately meaningless, but will continue to be meaningful after this life is over, not only to the mind or being who caused us to be here, but perhaps also to us.

Upvote 0

Shadowsun

Jan 29, 2007
✟7,667.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Right on. That makes it where we have hope that we can get a glimpse of why we exist as we do and why we have this ability that the other animals do not have. If we have this ability, it may not be coincidence. There may be a reason for it and if there is a reason for it, there is a mind or being that we can consider the existence of and what the purpose of that mind or being might be in causing us to be here as we are. It just might not be luck and we might be able to not just create our own meaning but create our meaning that coincides with the reason we exist. If we are succesful in finding and creating the meaning behind the reason we are here, perhaps, our limited life span will not be ultimately meaningless, but will continue to be meaningful after this life is over, not only to the mind or being who caused us to be here, but perhaps also to us.
I firmly believe that evolution made us what we are now. So for me, it is a huge matter of luck. I never found it necessary to have a creator in the process. Also, I think having no afterlife is more of a blessing than a curse. It makes me appreciate everything even more so. But to each his own I guess. I have found my meaning of life, and I hope everyone does.

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I firmly believe that evolution made us what we are now. So for me, it is a huge matter of luck. I never found it necessary to have a creator in the process. Also, I think having no afterlife is more of a blessing than a curse. It makes me appreciate everything even more so. But to each his own I guess. I have found my meaning of life, and I hope everyone does.

Why does a belief in an afterlife make me unable to appreciate this life as much as you? I don't believe you are able to appreciate this life more than I am. I have questions how evolution can explain our difference from the other animals, but I am not interested in fighting over the truth or untruth of evolution. Its truth or untruth has nothing really to do with the existence of God or not or the cosmos being created or not. I think everyone does find their own meaning in life but if they find a meaning that is selfish and harmful to others it is not a good meaning to find.

Upvote 0

Shadowsun

Jan 29, 2007
✟7,667.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why does a belief in an afterlife make me unable to appreciate this life as much as you? I don't believe you are able to appreciate this life more than I am.
Never said I appreciated life more than you. Just that my evolution from theist to atheist, made ME appreciate it more.
I think everyone does find their own meaning in life but if they find a meaning that is selfish and harmful to others it is not a good meaning to find.
My purpose is to enjoy what this world has to offer and learn all I can before I fade away. Yes, some people who make their own purpose might end up hurting others. If for example, an atheist decides he wants to rape as much virgins as possible. However, a religious person might also find a purpose in killing infidels. It's not so much a matter of belief or non-belief, as of possessing the right morals.

Upvote 0

Martin^^

Feb 11, 2005
Scotland
✟8,860.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
No, actually with this he means that the universe could have unfolded in countless other ways. The fact that you are here at this time means you are incredibly lucky. ...the chances of you existing here nad now are immensly small.

We only know of one universe. Therefore the probability of any of us existing is exactly 1. (i.e. 100%). The alternate universes, in which we do not exist, are imaginary and cannot be used in any calculation of probability.
In other words, this use of probability to lend weight to a philosophical argument based on speculation is not logically valid. Probability lies in the area of finite mathematics and has no value in describing a single data point.
I'm calling the math police...

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
True and our meaning is the same at that point, nothing magical in that to me.

No, meaning is undefined at that point. The issue does not apply. There is no "sameness", only irrelevancy. I agree there is nothing magical about nonexistence, but there doesn't have to be.

However, there is something "magical" about being a living human being. We are certainly not insects at that point.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Never said I appreciated life more than you. Just that my evolution from theist to atheist, made ME appreciate it more.
My purpose is to enjoy what this world has to offer and learn all I can before I fade away. Yes, some people who make their own purpose might end up hurting others. If for example, an atheist decides he wants to rape as much virgins as possible. However, a religious person might also find a purpose in killing infidels. It's not so much a matter of belief or non-belief, as of possessing the right morals.

I dont' quite agree that enjoying this world as much as possible and learning as much as possible is the hightest moral meaning one can find. I think the higher moral meaning is about compasion for others.

Upvote 0

HolyGuardianAngels

Merry Christmas Everyone
Mar 10, 2005
Southern California, just minutes from the beach !
✟17,081.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Truth be known:

Do unto others as you would have them do to you
. . .

• HOWEVER, when I was born into the World; people were already here:
  • Sooo, I must do to them; as they have done to me . . .

This philosophy is NOT absurd .

:angel:

Upvote 0

FishFace

Senior Veteran
Jan 12, 2007
✟13,130.00
Faith
Atheist
I dont' quite agree that enjoying this world as much as possible and learning as much as possible is the hightest moral meaning one can find. I think the higher moral meaning is about compasion for others.

The greatest good attainable for one person is happiness, therefore the greatest good for society as a whole is happiness for everyone; accomplished through compassion. Enjoying the world and learning, however, are both part of happiness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GryffinSong

open-minded skeptic
May 7, 2007
✟8,739.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
To expand a little on my "go with all your heart" philosophy... ;)

I feel that all of us are born both as part of a community, and as a unique individual. Each of us has gifts that we can choose to nurture. A well-lived life is one in which one takes the opportunies to love, to create, to seek beauty and truth, to help others, to live with honor, and to develop and share their own unique talents/gifts.

I feel that my own life is a continuation of a blooming process. Over time I find more about myself, my community, others, and how to best give of myself to the world. Imagine one's life as a lotus blossom, continueing to unfold. Only, this "virtual bloom" has seemingly endless layers yet to come.

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The greatest good attainable for one person is happiness, therefore the greatest good for society as a whole is happiness for everyone; accomplished through compassion. Enjoying the world and learning, however, are both part of happiness.

Enjoying the world and learning may bring self contentment and perhaps this is the a kind of happiness, but I think true happiness is never achieved on your own. I think it always involves relationships with others and it always involves being loving to others. If you remove the loving others, I think you never really achieve true happiness.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
To expand a little on my "go with all your heart" philosophy... ;)

I feel that all of us are born both as part of a community, and as a unique individual. Each of us has gifts that we can choose to nurture. A well-lived life is one in which one takes the opportunies to love, to create, to seek beauty and truth, to help others, to live with honor, and to develop and share their own unique talents/gifts.

I feel that my own life is a continuation of a blooming process. Over time I find more about myself, my community, others, and how to best give of myself to the world. Imagine one's life as a lotus blossom, continueing to unfold. Only, this "virtual bloom" has seemingly endless layers yet to come.

That's a great philosophy. :)

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

meebs

The dev!l loves rock and roll
Aug 17, 2004
Alpha Quadrant
Visit site
✟17,879.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Oh boy, this requires thinking...

All that exists is natural. Everything that exists in the universe is a part of a dynamic cycle, ever changing, though some base foundations remain the same. For example - somethings change but resemble things that have existed before, or you could call the universe itself as a base foundation. Umm think of it all as a putty like substance.

Life: Well that is a small part of things. We should try to respect life, and the universe as much as possible. We should recognise that some things that happen that seem bad for life, may be better in the long run, and sometimes vice versa. Because life, like the universe it is contained in is dynamic, and it relies on the universe, heck we rely on the universe. We (humans) are so not in touch with the nature we are a part of it's unbeleivable, yet nature governs us even now!

We humans have a special ability (and some other animals on a cruder scale) we recognise the universe around us to an extent and have found we can shape it with tools. Only so far though this capacity grows everyday. We are shaping this planet (though not succesfully yet, not in a way that is balanced). One day we will shape this planet toward our needs through environmental engineering based on the patterns we observe in nature, we will make room for the other life that lives here. If we do this right, then i see no problems with it.

How should we treat each other? Well i beleive in the creed: Do as you will as long as no harm comes to another. I try to follow this as much as i can.

We have to realise everything we do affects others, and our little part of the universe arounds us. We have a responsibility toward each other and this planet and ourselves.

I guess that is my philosophy (which like this universe is dynamic but foundations remain the same ^_^ ). I beleive in no universal "truth" Just that the "truth" is subjective.

Upvote 0