up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Blessings in Christ Jesus. Keep your eyes(spiritual eyes) open and be alert, perhaps a spiritual battle is right around the corner, or perhaps even now. Extra sensitivity, or as you say (really kicking in) usually proceeds a spiritual battle. It is a way of being fully equipped when combined with the full armor of God.

Discernment is right in front of all here as man's will spars with God's will.

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
A truly astonishing deception, the claim that a regular title of Jesus was determined by man!

It is not me, but scripture that makes "The Rock" about God in Christ Jesus and rather than the revelation of an imperfect man.

Psalm95v1Come, let us sing for joy to the LORD; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation.

Psalm62v11.....Truly my soul waits upon God: from him comes my salvation.
2He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved.

(Take note, "he only is my rock..." ie. there can be no other rock!)

2Sam22v47"The LORD lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be my God, the Rock, my Savior!

Psalm89v26He shall cry unto me, Thou art my Father, My God, and the rock of my salvation.
27I also will make him my first-born, The highest of the kings of the earth.

Psalm19v14May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Isaiah26v4Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD himself, is the Rock eternal.

There are hundreds of scriptures that show God or Jesus as the title holder of the Rock. Every time you claim that the title belongs to a man or his revelation, you are robbing Christ and giving glory to another.
Jesus Christ is the Rock; the Church of Christ Jesus are the rocks.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jesus Christ is the Rock; the Church of Christ Jesus are the rocks.

Only if Jesus speaks the truth of the Father (which He did) and the church as pebbles like Peter, if following those truths ... which for the most part they don't, preferring a different gospel than the Gospel of the Kingdom and churches that align themselves with the world of man instead of the Kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I said the Rock is that truth comes from God, not man. That is what Jesus said. (for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven) This is what He was referring to in context when He said, upon this rock I will build my church
Absolutely foolishness.
When Jesus said "upon this Rock I will build my church", His faithful Jewish disciples would immediately recognise the title as that used constantly for God himself.-
Deut32v15"But Jeshurun grew fat and kicked-- You are grown fat, thick, and sleek-- Then he forsook God who made him, And scorned the Rock of his salvation.

Your theology, nice though it sounds, is just fleshly reasoning and still denies the plain intention of what Jesus was saying.

Matt16v18
And I also say to you that you are Peter (petros, Grk=pebble) and on this rock (Petra, Grk=mountain) I will build My church, and the gates of Hades not will prevail against it.
Jesus is making a very obvious play on Peter's given name (pebble), and His own eternal title (Rock of salvation). No mention is made here of Peter's revelation.

Paul knew that Jesus is and was the Rock of Israel's Salvation.
1Cor10v1For I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that our fathers were all under the cloud and all passed through the sea; 2and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 3and all ate the same spiritual food; 4and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was Christ.

Did you read that plain statement of Paul?
That Rock was Christ!
The Rock was never ever a mere revelation of Peter's, no matter how truthful it may have been.
How much more evidence do you need to be convinced that Jesus Christ is the Rock of Salvation throughout the OT and NT?

Every time you insist that the title belongs elsewhere, you demean Christ himself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Absolutely foolishness.
When Jesus said "upon this Rock I will build my church", His faithful Jewish disciples would immediately recognise the title as that used constantly for God himself.-
Deut32v15"But Jeshurun grew fat and kicked-- You are grown fat, thick, and sleek-- Then he forsook God who made him, And scorned the Rock of his salvation.

Your theology, nice though it sounds, is just fleshly reasoning and still denies the plain intention of what Jesus was saying.

Matt16v18
And I also say to you that you are Peter (petros, Grk=pebble) and on this rock (Petra, Grk=mountain) I will build My church, and the gates of Hades not will prevail against it.
Jesus is making a very obvious play on Peter's given name (pebble), and His own eternal title (Rock of salvation). No mention is made here of Peter's revelation.

Paul knew that Jesus is and was the Rock of Israel's Salvation.
1Cor10v1For I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that our fathers were all under the cloud and all passed through the sea; 2and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 3and all ate the same spiritual food; 4and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was Christ.

Did you read that plain statement of Paul?
That Rock was Christ!
The Rock was never ever a mere revelation of Peter's, no matter how truthful it may have been.
How much more evidence do you need to be convinced that Jesus Christ is the Rock of Salvation throughout the OT and NT?

Every time you insist that the title belongs elsewhere, you demean Christ himself.
'this rock' is the Gift of Word of Knowledge which Simon Peter spoke out of his mouth

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
'this rock' is the Gift of Word of Knowledge which Simon Peter spoke out of his mouth
Go read it again, and check the Greek words, because that is not what the scripture says.
Why are you so adamantly opposed to the truth that Jesus himself alone, always was and is and will be the Rock?
You can keep spouting your unbiblical ideas for eternity, but it still won't make it true.

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Go read it again, and check the Greek words, because that is not what the scripture says.
Why are you so adamantly opposed to the truth that Jesus himself alone, always was and is and will be the Rock?
You can keep spouting your unbiblical ideas for eternity, but it still won't make it true.
Francis, I am right. Revelation Knowledge is one of the Gifts that Jesus is building His Church with.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Francis, I am right. Revelation Knowledge is one of the Gifts that Jesus is building His Church with.
Of course revelation knowledge is a gift of the Spirit, and of course Peter understood who Jesus was by that gift. Jesus said as much.
Matt16v17And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
Flesh and blood had not revealed the character of Jesus to Peter, ie no resource of mankind, nor even the man Jesus himself.

Peter's revelation was absolutely revealed by Jesus's Father, and as always, the Father does it by the Holy Spirit, even prior to Pentecost.
None of that is in doubt!

What I am objecting to is that you wrongly extrapolate that fact into the next statement of Jesus.
18And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter (petros/pebble), and upon this rock (petra/rock, mountain) I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Peter correctly understood that Jesus was the Christ, son of the living God. But the general understanding of the disciples regarding the true nature of Christ still remained very flawed.

They expected a warrior king like David, which is why they pressed him right to the very end over whether he would deliver the kingdom back to Israel, ie. drive the Romans out of the land!

In calling himself "The Rock", Jesus was taking Peter one huge leap further than his initial revelation, He was applying to Himself the name of Jehovah God as used throughout the OT!

Additionally, the disciples were also familiar with the Greek word for "church", "ekklesia". They were familiar with that word because it was the word used throughout their scriptures to describe the congregation of Israel itself, not some new creation in the future.
So when Jesus tells Peter that He would build his church/congregation/assembly on the Rock it was an absolutely clear claim to Jesus being Jehovah, the creator God of the Old Testament. The mighty God who led Israel out of Egypt.

To claim that the word Rock refers to one truthful revelation that Peter was given, blinds people's eyes to one of the most significant revelations of scripture.
That's why Satan has placed so many false trails around this piece of scripture!

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Absolutely foolishness.

Denying God is truth (hence God's truth), serves only the Adversary and his human minions. The Adversary can attribute anything to God, except His truth, for God's truth is not of man or the Adversary but opposes it.

And yes Jesus' truth is God's truth, yet Christianity focusses on Jesus rather than His truth, which is the Gospel of the Kingdom. Subtle enough change that the Adversary draws man towards Jesus but away from His truth, the Kingdom. Sadly the majority in Christianity complies with this misdirection.,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Of course revelation knowledge is a gift of the Spirit, and of course Peter understood who Jesus was by that gift. Jesus said as much.
Matt16v17And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
Flesh and blood had not revealed the character of Jesus to Peter, ie no resource of mankind, nor even the man Jesus himself.

Peter's revelation was absolutely revealed by Jesus's Father, and as always, the Father does it by the Holy Spirit, even prior to Pentecost.
None of that is in doubt!

What I am objecting to is that you wrongly extrapolate that fact into the next statement of Jesus.
18And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter (petros/pebble), and upon this rock (petra/rock, mountain) I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Peter correctly understood that Jesus was the Christ, son of the living God. But the general understanding of the disciples regarding the true nature of Christ still remained very flawed.

They expected a warrior king like David, which is why they pressed him right to the very end over whether he would deliver the kingdom back to Israel, ie. drive the Romans out of the land!

In calling himself "The Rock", Jesus was taking Peter one huge leap further than his initial revelation, He was applying to Himself the name of Jehovah God as used throughout the OT!

Additionally, the disciples were also familiar with the Greek word for "church", "ekklesia". They were familiar with that word because it was the word used throughout their scriptures to describe the congregation of Israel itself, not some new creation in the future.
So when Jesus tells Peter that He would build his church/congregation/assembly on the Rock it was an absolutely clear claim to Jesus being Jehovah, the creator God of the Old Testament. The mighty God who led Israel out of Egypt.

To claim that the word Rock refers to one truthful revelation that Peter was given, blinds people's eyes to one of the most significant revelations of scripture.
That's why Satan has placed so many false trails around this piece of scripture!
Jesus NEVER called Simon Peter THE ROCK

• Agree
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

See above. God is truth. Focussing on God but not His truth denies His truth. The Adversary denies His truth but does not deny God. The Adversary has no problem calling Jesus the Rock, as long as Jesus' truth is not part of it. There is the twist that a majority of Christianity wrongly follows, proclaiming God but denying His will and Kingdom in favour of the will and world man has made. The Kingdom remains out of sight, out of mind, lessening it's threat to the will and world of mankind and the Adversary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Jesus NEVER called Simon Peter THE ROCK
Do you bother to read anything I post before retorting?
Nowhere did I even suggest that Jesus called Peter the Rock.

The premise of everything I have posted is that Jesus alone is the rock, and that neither Peter, nor Peter's revelation has a right to be called the rock.
Go read all my posts and you will see I have said the same thing repeatedly.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
and that neither Peter, nor Peter's revelation has a right to be called the rock.

Exactly. The revelation in itself was nothing compared to what it was, truth from God and not from man. That is what the church would be built upon, God's truth, not man's. Doesn't seen to be catching on in the forums though ,but then again the blind have lead the blind since the early diversion of Christianity.

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Do you bother to read anything I post before retorting?
Nowhere did I even suggest that Jesus called Peter the Rock.

The premise of everything I have posted is that Jesus alone is the rock, and that neither Peter, nor Peter's revelation has a right to be called the rock.
Go read all my posts and you will see I have said the same thing repeatedly.
What Peter confessed is 'this rock'

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
After receiving the Holy Spirit I can overcome the desires of the flesh at day one, and be able to understand and read the Bible with much more clarity before which is one of the reasons I enjoy reading it now.

Other than that I think the gift I received was the gift of miracles. My dog was in tremendous pain once, shaking and drooling I had no idea what was going on with him, and prayed for him to be healed. And after that he started feeling happy again, either coincidence or miracle.

one day my mom came home angry and frustrated which she sometimes takes that frustration on me. Sort of a reason why I tend to avoid contact with her. I pray for her to ease down and it works. She is not saved, and doesn't believe but I hope one day she decides to put trust in Jesus because I'm sure it will help her with her problems and give her a peace of mind.

I'm rather late coming into this thread :sorry:

I can very much relate to your situation with both the Holy Spirit and when I grew up with my parents.
When I grew up, my dad was like your mom when he wasn't a Christian. God turned that around though and I am glad He did! I pray for your mom that the same will one day happen to her. :yellowheart:

When I became a prodigal daughter in 2014, I suddenly had knowledge and wisdom from God. It was like God had unlocked something in my mind and heart. Now, I'm still learning His way and how to live by taking the whole Bible into account. I believe I have the gift of encouragement and discernment. I have been told I have a gift for teaching.

Upvote 0

Hishandmaiden

The Humble Servant
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2002
Singapore
✟35,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wow!!!!

It is profoundly encouraging to read about how what was once your weakest area... is now one of your strongest!

I think that Messiah Yeshua - Jesus has a great sense of humor and really likes making us strong in ways where we were once exceptionally weak!

Indeed, Jesus does have a sense of humor. He creates us, after-all.

AS for me, my gift is in the area of intercession. I enjoy praying.

• Winner
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

I do too.......
I work as a janitor and can pray quite a bit while doing my job that doesn't requite too much thought.

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

Intercession is not one of the 9 Gifts of the Spirit.

Upvote 0