What is your favourite scripture/most meaningful scripture to you and why?

Simon P

Jan 6, 2022
Rugby
✟13,250.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There are two scripture passages that have the most meaning for me personally - one Old Testament and one New Testament.

Old Testament
Isaiah 40:1-31

I remember studying this passage in a Bible study and it spoke very deeply to me. At the time, I was suffering from a deep depression and it gave me hope and encouragement that I could come through that experience.

The lines at the end of the chapter particularly resonated with me with the image of soaring like eagles:

Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

New Testament
John 21: 1-23

What I love most about this passage is the love and compassion Christ shows for the disciples, especially Peter. If I am living and working through and with Christ then I have abundance and this is seen through being able to catch so many fish. In relationship with Christ I can achieve more than I can on my own.

The second part of the passage strikes me the most. Christ forgives Peter for denying him three times. He's not angry, he understands our human fallibilities and forgives us. The strength of Christ's forgiveness is such that it empowers Peter to fulfil his duty as a leader.

I'd love to hear what your favourite scripture passages are and why.

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Matthew 11:28-30, " Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke on you and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and my load is not hard to carry.”

It was the Scripture that was read to me when Christ healed me in the hospital. Up until that moment I was an atheist!

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"But those who seek the LORD shall not lack any good thing."
(in Psalm 34:10)

For me, this means God guarantees He will give us what He knows is good, while we seek Him for Himself. Even right now . . . while we are truly seeking God, right now we have all the good He really desires to share with us.

Most of all, we are perfectly satisfied to share with Him in His love.

Reactions: Simon P
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One is the definitive record of what exactly the gospel is.
1 Corinthians 15:1-4
1. Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2. By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4. And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

The other is the definitive instructions on how to stay saved:

1 John 1:9-10
9. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
chapter 2
1. My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
2. And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Romans 8 38-39

For I am persuaded that neither life nor death,nor angels or demons
nor things above or things below, nor anything in all creation shall seperate us from
the Love of God.

Reactions: Simon P
Upvote 0

Simon P

Jan 6, 2022
Rugby
✟13,250.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 11:28-30, " Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke on you and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and my load is not hard to carry.”

It was the Scripture that was read to me when Christ healed me in the hospital. Up until that moment I was an atheist!

Wow, very powerful. Thank you for sharing pescador. I can imagine how comforting and strengthening hearing that scripture was when you were in hospital.

• Useful
Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0

Simon P

Jan 6, 2022
Rugby
✟13,250.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
One is the definitive record of what exactly the gospel is.
1 Corinthians 15:1-4
1. Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2. By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4. And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

The other is the definitive instructions on how to stay saved:

1 John 1:9-10
9. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
chapter 2
1. My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
2. And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

Thank you for sharing. I love how the 1 Corinthians passage succinctly describes the Christian faith - Christ died for our sins and rose again. The 1 John passage neatly describes Christ's atonement for us

• Agree
Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0