Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What is your concept of Truth?

I have read a lot about this in books, and its interesting to see how people approach the question.

In Francis Schaeffer's books he says Truth is One. He faults Neo-orthodox theologians like Barth for having a divided concept of Truth. I don't know if Barth ever wrote about Truth as a concept, but this was Schaeffer's view and why he did not accept Neo-orthodoxy.

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am still trying to figure this one out.

Because people use different methods to determine truth, that is why every source will never have the same conclusion, even in science. I can show you scientific studies contradicting other research and it just doesn't make any sense.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
When Adam and Eve ate of the tree of tree of knowledge of good and evil, their desire transformed their knowledge of true and false into good and evil, so it clouded their judgement where they could never be certain whether a particular action was truly morally good or whether it was just something that they desired. So God's word provides the clarity of moral truth that our desire clouds and that truth is based on God's nature or character traits. The Bible often uses the same terms to describe the nature of God as it does to describe the nature of God's law, which is because it is God's instructions for how to act in accordance with His nature, such as with it being holy, righteous, and good (Romans 7:12), or with justice, mercy, and faithfulness being weightier matters of the law (Matthew 23:23). Likewise, God's ways reveal His nature and teach us how to express His character traits, and there are many verses that describe the Torah as being instructions for how to walk in God's ways, such as Deuteronomy 10:12-13, Isaiah 2:2-3, Joshua 22:5, Psalms 103:7, and many others.

So this is why the Torah is truth (Psalms 119:142) and trustworthy (Psalms 19:7, Nehemiah 9:13). Jesus is the exact expression of God's nature (Hebrews 1:3), so he expressed only God's nature through his actions and what that looked like was sinless obedience to the Torah, so he is the personification of the truth (John 14:6). This is also why 2 Timothy 3:8 says that those who oppose Moses also oppose the truth and why partaking in God's nature is established in truth (2 Peter 1:3-12). The Spirit has the role of leading us in truth (John 16:3), the Spirit has the role of leading us to obey the Torah (Ezekiel 36:26-27), and again the Torah is truth.

Upvote 0

John Helpher

John 3:16
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

The teachings of Jesus. For example, Jesus said that we will be judged in the same way we judge others. If were were fair (or at least tried to be fair) to others, then we will be judged fairly. If we were impatient, self-righteous, or hypocritical toward others, then that is the standard God will use when judging us. You can see something like this illustrated in the parable of the talents, when the lazy servants says, "I was afraid of failing, because I know you are a harsh master" and the master responds, "So you think I'm harsh, huh? Then, by your own words, that is how I will judge you now".

This idea that we'll be judged the same as we judge others is truth because it forces us to think about how we judge. Any teaching which causes us to examine the motives behind why we behave the way we do, and encourages accountability for those motives will be consistent with what truth is.

• Informative
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I have read a lot about this in books, and its interesting to see how people approach the question.

In Francis Schaeffer's books he says Truth is One. He faults Neo-orthodox theologians like Barth for having a divided concept of Truth. I don't know if Barth ever wrote about Truth as a concept, but this was Schaeffer's view and why he did not accept Neo-orthodoxy.
Truth is the agreement of your belief with the realities in existence.

Upvote 0