What "is" time...?

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
I'm not sure what I've gotten myself into but this is pretty typical of what I've stumbled across over the years:

However, in a remarkable paper written in 1905, when he was a clerk in the Swiss patent office, Einstein showed that the time and position at which one thought an event occurred, depended on how one was moving. This meant that time and space, were inextricably bound up with each other. The times that different observers would assign to events would agree if the observers were not moving relative to each other. But they would disagree more, the faster their relative speed. So one can ask, how fast does one need to go, in order that the time for one observer, should go backwards relative to the time of another observer. The answer is given in the following Limerick.

There was a young lady of Wight,
Who traveled much faster than light,
She departed one day,
In a relative way,
And arrived on the previous night. (Stephen Hawking. Space and Time Warps)​

My interest wasn't really in string theory, but what I have always seemed to encounter is this problem with time. I am in no way shape or form a student of String Theory, this is just something I have repeatedly encountered with regards to String Theory and the problems of relativity and time.
What you quoted is a description of Special Relativity; it doesn't contain any problems regarding time, it simply explains how spacetime works. As far as I'm aware, it's not a problem with String Theory either - which is why I'm keen to know what makes you think it is.

I wasn't interested in a debate, I thought this was a recurring problem. Perhaps I simply misunderstood or misspoke in some way.
Frankly, it sounds like you just made it up...

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What you quoted is a description of Special Relativity; it doesn't contain any problems regarding time, it simply explains how spacetime works. As far as I'm aware, it's not a problem with String Theory either - which is why I'm keen to know what makes you think it is.

Frankly, it sounds like you just made it up...
I seriously don't know what you mean, this is more of a contradiction then a solution:

She departed one day,
In a relative way,
And arrived on the previous night. (Stephen Hawking. Space and Time Warps)
How does she leave one day and arrive the previous night? So of course I realize I don't understand advanced physics but this is a contradiction of reality. I didn't make it up, I have just stumbled over it a time or two.

Upvote 0

Everybodyknows

The good guys lost
Dec 19, 2016
Australia
✟45,191.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are their particles that travel or are in motion, at the speed of light...?

Didn't Einstein have some interesting theories regarding time, and motion, and the speed of light...?
All particles without mass (such as photons) travel at the speed of light, always. Particles with mass cannot ever reach the speed of light.

Reactions: YouAreAwesome
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
All particles without mass (such as photons) travel at the speed of light, always. Particles with mass cannot ever reach the speed of light.
What is the substance of a photon...? Or particles without mass...? Are they matter...?

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
I seriously don't know what you mean, this is more of a contradiction then a solution:

She departed one day,
In a relative way,
And arrived on the previous night. (Stephen Hawking. Space and Time Warps)
How does she leave one day and arrive the previous night? So of course I realize I don't understand advanced physics but this is a contradiction of reality. I didn't make it up, I have just stumbled over it a time or two.
It's just a joke limerick - nothing can accelerate to the speed of light, let alone past it. It plays on the idea that if you could go faster than light, you'd go backwards in time. It's a Learian nonsense verse.

In GR theory, time machines might be possible, but at least hugely impractical or improbable. Hawking has suggested that whatever General Relativity might seem to make possible along those lines, quantum mechanics actually prevents (that's how it seems to go with wormholes). This has been (rather playfully) called the Chronology Protection Conjecture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Everybodyknows

The good guys lost
Dec 19, 2016
Australia
✟45,191.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is the substance of a photon...? Or particles without mass...? Are they matter...?
Well matter by definition has mass so I guess no. However all particles, whether they have mass or not, are just fluctuations in quantum fields. I'm no physicist, but from what I understand, the property of mass arises from a particles interaction with the Higgs field. So essentially there is nothing more substantial about a particle with mass than one without, just that some particles can have the property of mass.

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Well matter by definition has mass so I guess no. However all particles, whether they have mass or not, are just fluctuations in quantum fields. I'm no physicist, but from what I understand, the property of mass arises from a particles interaction with the Higgs field. So essentially there is nothing more substantial about a particle with mass than one without, just that some particles can have the property of mass.
Do only the ones without mass move at the speed of light...?

Thank You BTW...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Everybodyknows

The good guys lost
Dec 19, 2016
Australia
✟45,191.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do only the ones without mass move at the speed of light...?

Thank You BTW...
Yes that is correct. The implication of Relativity is that anything with mass can never reach the speed of light as it would require infinite energy to accelerate it to the speed of light.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes that is correct. The implication of Relativity is that anything with mass can never reach the speed of light as it would require infinite energy to accelerate it to the speed of light.
Thank you very much,

See you around,

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
from what I understand, the property of mass arises from a particles interaction with the Higgs field

Only for W and Z particles. Without the Higgs mechanism, they would be massless like photons.

Quarks and leptons ("matter" in the traditional sense) have mass for other reasons.

However, even photons behave in some ways like they have mass: a moving photon has momentum, for example.

We don't fully understand mass, because we don't fully understand gravity.

Upvote 0

Everybodyknows

The good guys lost
Dec 19, 2016
Australia
✟45,191.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
However, even photons behave in some ways like they have mass: a moving photon has momentum, for example.
Momentum is the product of energy and velocity. Even though particles with mass have momentum, mass is not a requirement for momentum.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Even though particles with mass have momentum, mass is not a requirement for momentum.

Having rest mass is indeed not a requirement for momentum. But my point was that a moving photon has some of the properties of a particle with mass (although a particle with mass could never travel at the speed of light).

Momentum is the product of energy and velocity.

The momentum of a photon is E/c, yes. For a particle with rest mass, however, the relationship is quite different (see here). If you just look at kinetic energy in a nonrelativistic setting, momentum for a particle with rest mass will be 2E/v.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
Only for W and Z particles. Without the Higgs mechanism, they would be massless like photons.

Quarks and leptons ("matter" in the traditional sense) have mass for other reasons.
That's not how I've heard it described - yes, the W & Z are the only bosons that get mass via the Higgs interaction, but fermions - quarks and charged leptons - do also, to varying amounts. Particles composed of quarks get most of their mass from their binding energy, but the quark mass due to the Higgs interaction contributes to the total.

Do you have a reference for the description you gave?

Upvote 0

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
What "is" time...?

Comments...?

God Bless!
Time is movement, specifically it is a second measurement of distance.

Whether the distance a point on the earth revolves to arrive back at its starting point, the distance a second hand moves, the distance the earth revolves around the sun, or the distance between the crests of electromagnetic waves. It is a second measurement of distance to verify the first.

Mathematically this can be proven as in division both the numerator and denominator must be related. That is yards can not be divided by feet. One must first be converted into the other. To be able to divide distance by time d/t, the two must first be related and of the same nature. Since one needs not convert one into the other........

Upvote 0

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
The speed of light is a misunderstood concept.

C is the limit of our measuring devices proportionally to the energy this system contains. People simply do not understand why light travels at c regardless of your velocity. First get rid of the pseudoscience. The reason we can not attain the speed of light has nothing to do with mass, nor anything at all to do with energy requirements for acceleration. To someone traveling at 1/2 of c to us, it would take them no more energy to continue to accelerate than it took them to start accelerating. To them nothing has changed, you must stop thinking of this frame as an absolute frame. To them it is your clocks and rulers that have changed. It is you that requires more energy to accelerate, your mass that has changed. Ask yourself has your mass changed, because they say it has. Again, they see nothing different than before they began accelerating. Everything is relative to the velocity of a system through space and it's current energy content. Our measuring devices are simply unable to measure anything above the speed of c. In analogy, your speedometer is maxed out and unable to give you any readings above its upper limit.

Look at the speedometer on your car. Imagine that 100 mph is the speed of light and the maximum it can give readings. Accelerate to 50 mph. As you begin to accelerate your division mark spacing (clocks and rulers) begin to change proportionally to the energy added on the quantum level from your change in velocity. Now rotate the dial so that your zero point follows the needle.

Notice the consequences. 100 mph is still 100 mph and can not be reached. Also your velocity through space now reads as zero, not 50 mph, just as it does right now despite our traveling at an unknown velocity through space.

Light travels at c regardless of ones velocity because our zero points for our measuring devices also change proportionally to energy along with our measuring devices. This change in zero points compensates exactly for our change in velocity and c will always calculate to c regardless of our true velocity through space.

Regardless of what your true velocity through space may be, your devices will say you are stationary. There is no traveling at 1/2 of c, 99.9% of c, or any number for yourself. You will at all times according to your own clocks and rulers be stationary. Your zero points resetting will compensate for your change in velocity and light will calculate to c regardless if you are now traveling at what once would have been c to you.

People simply have no understanding of why light calculates to c regardless of ones velocity, to most it is simply a magical speed limit that can not be reached. At no other time but right now at this exact velocity will the same distance and time ever be calculated for the speed of light. This is not to say others will not still call their clock ticks of a different duration seconds, nor their rulers of different lengths meters, but at no other velocity will they ever be the same. The shift of our zero points combined with these new measurements is why it will always calculate to c and can never be obtained.

We simply never notice the relative changes to our zero points nor our clocks and rulers and we never will because we call different duration ticks of time seconds and different length rulers meters. All clocks and rulers are equally accurate in every frame because our zero points have shifted proportionally to energy along with those clocks and rulers.

Hence Einstein telling us that only in frames moving in relative motion (the same approximate velocity) are the laws of physics the same. And that in frames not traveling with the same approximate velocity are the laws of physics different. They are different because they no longer share the same zero points or units of measurement.

Understand there is no such thing as a constant, everything is relative to the energy a system contains due to its velocity through space. The measurements nor zero points are not the same, they are proportional to energy. That we call two different ticks of time the same thing or two different lengths rulers the same does not mean they are the same. We are simply unable to tell when our own measuring devices change, even if we know they do. So most confuse proportional as being the same, when it is anything but.

Don't be confused by the magical mumbo jumbo of its impossibility. They themselves are simply confused and don't understand why light always travels at c regardless of ones velocity. They continue to think that a second in the accelerated frame is of the same duration as a second to us. Confusing two different times as being the same because they don't understand that our zero points for every measurement also shift as well. And hence a clock tick of a longer duration can calculate the same result as a clock tick of a shorter duration, as well as longer and shorter rulers. Zero points have shifted compensating for the change in velocity. With every change in velocity, you will calculate new times and distances for light, but since you will still call these new times seconds, and these new distances meters, you will never even realize your measuring devices or your zero points have changed. You will always think everything has remained the same and will argue against anyone that tells you they have changed and be convinced they are wrong. Like the twin who believed it was the stationary twins clocks which changed, believing his remained the same until he returned to the stationary frame and reality came crashing down. We simply have no stationary frame to return to, to make our error in thought of the consistency of time clear to us. Not that we would know a stationary frame even if it existed, because to all our measuring devices we are stationary and it is everything else that is in motion. Which is why every device we have reads as stationary, despite our understanding we are anything but…..

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Didn't Einstein have some interesting theories regarding time, and motion, and the speed of light...?
Gerold Schroeder talks about this from an interesting perspective.

His works frequently cite Talmudic, Midrashic and medieval commentaries on Biblical creation accounts, such as commentaries written by the Jewish philosopher Nachmanides. Among other things, Schroeder attempts to reconcile a six-day creation as described in Genesis with the scientific evidence that the world is billions of years old using the idea that the perceived flow of time for a given event in an expanding universe varies with the observer’s perspective of that event. He attempts to reconcile the two perspectives numerically, calculating the effect of the stretching of space-time, based on Einstein's general relativity.[7] wiki

Namely, that from the perspective of the point of origin of the Big Bang, according to Einstein's equations of the 'stretching factor', time dilates by a factor of roughly 1,000,000,000,000, meaning one trillion days on earth would appear to pass as one day from that point, due to the stretching of space. When applied to the estimated age of the universe at 13.8 billion years, from the perspective of the point of origin, the universe today would appear to have just begun its sixth day of existence, or if the universe is 15 billion years old from the perspective of earth, it would appear to have just completed its sixth day.[8] Antony Flew, an academic philosopher who promoted atheism for most of his adult life indicated that the arguments of Gerald Schroeder had influenced his decision to become a deist.[9][10] wiki

Upvote 0