Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am not here to be a troll. I do not want to argue with anybody. I just want to learn.

I know what Christians believe. I know the Believers Creed.

But I'm want to know what really is a true Christian? I mean, I keep hearing from other Christians that if you don't do such and such you are not a true Christian. For example, there was a thing on Facebook where Paul Washer is saying if you do not attend fellowship with other believers then you are not being a true Christian.

Now, I am a big believer in Daily repentance, although this is an area that I struggle with myself. And of course, I still question my salvation. But I am working towards it. Without repentance, from what I got from the Bible, you cannot see the kingdom of God. Now, is this right?

This is why I really want to repent. I do know that I should go to church. I just don't enjoy people, mainly because I am afraid of being hurt; not because I hate them. I do not hate people.

But can someone practice daily repentance and daily submission to Jesus without going to church? I mean, this is the lifestyle that I want to live. I know I need to read the gospels and do what the gospel says to do.

No, I am not talking about me not going to church. But the reason why I'm bringing this up is because I know some Christians who do not attend Fellowship and yet they have all the fruits of being a Christian.

But then again, fruits can also be deceiving. I remember picking apples from my apple tree and sometimes the fruit with looks so good round and juicy only for it to be rotten inside. So fruits can still be deceiving.

Now, I am not judging anyone for I have a lack of fruit myself. I do believe that my neighbor is a Christian, even though she doesn't go to church.

I think I got sidetracked here. The question is what makes a true Christian? Does going to church? Being nice to the poor and helping them? Is not going to the bar? I don't quite understand.

Or do certain things just come natural for Christians? For example, is it natural for Christians to go to church, and that is why other Christians question whether a person who claims to be a Christian, and yet does not go to church, whether they are a Christian or not?

I don't live by the spirit like I should. So, these questions are not meant to criticize. These are actual questions that I want to know. And I can definitely understand why somebody would question my salvation.

So basically all I'm asking, If something doesn't come natural to someone who claims to be a Christian like he doesn't go to church or he prefers to hang out at the bar, then it is questionable whether he is a Christian or not?

I am terrible with words so I apologize if my question makes no sense to you.

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's really pretty simple. Fundamentally, a true Christian is someone who has accepted Christ as their savior. It has nothing to do with what you do or don't do. If you're counting on Jesus to save you, you're a Christian.

After that we could get into all sorts of details like what being a Christian looks like, what a Christian "should" do or not do in order to be a follower of Christ, etc. And we can talk about those details if you like, but try to grab hold of the fundamental truth of the definition of a Christian first.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am not here to be a troll. I do not want to argue with anybody. I just want to learn.

But I'm want to know what really is a true Christian? I mean, I keep hearing from other Christians that if you don't do such and such you are not a true Christian. For example, there was a thing on Facebook where Paul Washer is saying if you do not attend fellowship with other believers then you are not being a true Christian.

Now, I am a big believer in Daily repentance, although this is an area that I struggle with myself. And of course, I still question my salvation. But I am working towards it. Without repentance, from what I got from the Bible, you cannot see the kingdom of God. Now, is this right?

This is why I really want to repent. I do know that I should go to church. I just don't enjoy people, mainly because I am afraid of being hurt; not because I hate them. I do not hate people.

But can someone practice daily repentance and daily submission to Jesus without going to church? I mean, this is the lifestyle that I want to live. I know I need to read the gospels and do what the gospel says to do.

No, I am not talking about me not going to church. But the reason why I'm bringing this up is because I know some Christians who do not attend Fellowship and yet they have all the fruits of being a Christian.

But then again, fruits can also be deceiving. I remember picking apples from my apple tree and sometimes the fruit with looks so good round and juicy only for it to be rotten inside. So fruits can still be deceiving.

Now, I am not judging anyone for I have a lack of fruit myself. I do believe that my neighbor is a Christian, even though she doesn't go to church.

I think I got sidetracked here. The question is what makes a true Christian? Does going to church? Being nice to the poor and helping them? Is not going to the bar? I don't quite understand.

Or do certain things just come natural for Christians? For example, is it natural for Christians to go to church, and that is why other Christians question whether a person who claims to be a Christian, and yet does not go to church, whether they are a Christian or not?

I don't live by the spirit like I should. So, these questions are not meant to criticize. These are actual questions that I want to know. And I can definitely understand why somebody would question my salvation.

So basically all I'm asking, If something doesn't come natural to someone who claims to be a Christian like he doesn't go to church or he prefers to hang out at the bar, then it is questionable whether he is a Christian or not?

A true Christian is a person who has the new birth. Christianity is not a religion, but biology. The spirit of man died in the Garden of Eden, and Christ came to give us his eternal life. A true Christian is not a Christian by works but by faith. Of course if one has a true new birth faith in Christ one will have works, thus fruit. A true Christian knows the Living God because the Living God is his Father. A true Christian has learned to be led by the Spirit and to walk in the Spirit. True Christians know other true Christians by the witness of the Spirit.

Upvote 0

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
But I'm want to know what really is a true Christian? I mean, I keep hearing from other Christians that if you don't do such and such you are not a true Christian. For example, there was a thing on Facebook where Paul Washer is saying if you do not attend fellowship with other believers then you are not being a true Christian. But can someone practice daily repentance and daily submission to Jesus without going to church? I mean, this is the lifestyle that I want to live. I know I need to read the gospels and do what the gospel says to do.

Going to church will help you grow in spiritual maturity as a Christian. In the Bible, Paul tells Christians to gather together with other believers. Even if you cannot go to church every Sunday, I would advise you to gather together regularly with other Christian believers.

Hebrews 10:25 GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)
We should not stop gathering together with other believers, as some of you are doing. Instead, we must continue to encourage each other even more as we see the day of the Lord coming.

A true Christian is a person who trusts in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. A true Christian is a person who loves God and who loves other people.

Many people ignore this....but a Christian is a person who does not INTENTIONALLY hurt other people with malicious or vicious words.

Christians should be gentle and respectful when speaking with each other and when speaking with non-believers

Proverbs 12:18 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
There is one who speaks rashly like the thrusts of a sword, But the tongue of the wise brings healing.

Proverbs 15:1-2 Good News Translation (GNT)
A gentle answer quiets anger, but a harsh one stirs it up.
When wise people speak, they make knowledge attractive, but stupid people spout nonsense.

Proverbs 18:21 GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)
The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love to talk will have to eat their own words.

Matthew 12:36-37 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment. For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

I have been a Christian for two years, and I have never been to church. But I do have a very strong relationship with Christ.
It doesn't matter how many times you've been to church, how much you give to the poor or even how many times a day you pray.

The only thing that matters is that you have surrendered your life to the Lord and is living by His commandments, in love, faith, Spirit and Truth.

This all comes from Him, personally. He changes you, as you grow in Him. He can use the church to help you grow, but the church cannot do anything on its own.

The Christian lifestyle is the fruit of the Holy Spirit, and the changes He makes in us.

So just trust in Him and commit your life to Him. Love Him with all of your strength, all of your heart and all of your mind. He will guide your paths and show you who He is.

Then you will know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

What did Jesus say?

16) For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
Jesus says, to have everlasting life you have to believe in Him...and go to church, believe in Him...and do good deeds, believe in Him...and (insert any other action here). No, Jesus says if you believe in Him you will not perish and will have everlasting life...period.

Upvote 0

JingshenBianxi

So Cool
Mar 16, 2017
Houston, TX
✟17,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Acts 2:37-41 - Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, " Brothers, what shall we do?" And Peter said to them, " Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself." And with many other words he bore witness and continued to exhort them, saying " Save yourselves from this crooked generation." So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls.

You have to ask yourself an honest question, are you even a Christian?..cause you don't " go to church "...you are ADDED TO IT. The Church preached the gospel to the WORLD. That's what Peter did here in this passage. Preached the Gospel to those who were NOT IN THE CHURCH..aka the World. Once they heard...believed...they were BAPTIZED in the name of the LORD..received the HOLY SPIRIT...and were then ADDED...to The Church.

Many have been lied to by these " other churches " that simply confessing and believing saves you and you're a Christian. That's a false teaching and is leading many to the fire. Peter makes it clear here how to even become a Christian..and a TRUE CHRISTIAN...is one who has the HOLY SPIRIT. Look at your life so far and re-cap your salvation. If you did it WRONG..via...saying a Sinner's Prayer..and simply believing?...your not saved right now.

If you have been baptized but was told that it's just an outward act to show an inward change?...you are not saved.

You must believe...and make that confession that JESUS is LORD..cause that's what Jesus told PETER..." On this ROCK..I will build MY CHURCH ". And then be baptized in the name of JESUS for the remission of your sins...for even JESUS said this...

John 3:5 - Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

And what did Peter say?...be baptized...(( water ))...and receive the Holy...SPIRIT. Tah Dahhhhh..you are now...a TRUE CHRISTIAN..that has been ADDED TO...the Church. :)

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A true Christian is one who believes and trust Jesus, a simple statement, but one that is hard to do.
Suppose someone tells you they are a sports fan, yet they never go to a game or never talk about their team. Would you believe they were a sports fan?

It's the same with Christianity, someone who never attends church, doesn't talk about Christianity, giveto charity etc etc etc you would be right to question their christianity.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Much of the Bible is directed at how we should have fellowship as a community of believers, so Christianity is meant to be practiced in such a community where we spur one another on to doing good works (Hebrews 10:24-25). Our spiritual gifts were given to us for our own benefit, but for the common good (1 Corinthians 12:7), to prepare God's people for works of service so that the body of Christ may be built up (Ephesians 4:12), and to serve others (1 Peter 4:10). If we do not learn how to use our spiritual gifts, which can only be done as part of a community, then that greatly hinders our own spiritual growth. We can not learn to love others without interacting with them. True love lays down its life for others and takes no account of its own, so if we can be hurt by the ones that we love, then we need them more for our sake than we understand love. According to 1 Corinthians 13:1-13, there are all sorts of great things that you can do up to giving everything that you have to the poor, but if you have not love, then you gain nothing.

Daily repentance is good, but it is important to know what we should be repenting of doing. How did the Israelites know what sins is? When Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message that the people should repent from their sins for the Kingdom of God is at hand, how did they know what they should be repenting of doing? According to Romans 3:20, God's Law was given to make us conscious of sin, according to Romans 7:7, we would not even know what sin is if it weren't for God's Law revealing it, and according to 1 John 3:4, sin is defined as Lawlessness. Jesus was sinless, which means that he set a perfect example for how to walk in obedience to the Mosaic Law. A Christian is by definition a follower of Christ or someone who seeks follow his example, and we are told to follow his example (1 Peter 2:21-22), that we ought to walk in the same way that he walked (1 John 2:3-6), and that we ought to refrain from doing what God has revealed to be sin (Romans 6:15).

The Bible speaks about our salvation in the past present and future tense (Ephesians 2:5, Philippians 2:12, Romans 5:9-10), so our salvation is all encompassing in that we have been saved from the penalty of our sins, we are being saved from continuing to sin, and we will be saved from God's wrath on the day of the Lord. According to Titus 2:11-14, our salvation involves having been saved from the penalty of our sins by Christ giving himself to redeem us from all Lawlessness, but our salvation also involves being trained by grace in the present tense to do what is godly, righteous, and good and to renounce doing what is ungodly and sinful. We are not made to be like Christ overnight when we become a believer, but rather our sanctification of being made to be more like him is an ongoing process, so while there is no Christian who has not fallen short and failed to live as we should, it is part of the ongoing training that we are receiving by grace through faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JingshenBianxi

So Cool
Mar 16, 2017
Houston, TX
✟17,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I know exactly who I am and what I have experienced with God. You will never know what I know or experienced as a servant of God after hearing His voice over 37 years ago. You have no idea what it takes for God to get a servant ready to testify on His behalf or preach the gospel for Him to His chosen believers.

I know your father who is lying to me. He lies to all created men.

Um..My Father is the Father of Creation. The Great I Am. God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. My Father doesn't lie, sir.

Upvote 0

JingshenBianxi

So Cool
Mar 16, 2017
Houston, TX
✟17,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It's a whole different experience being a player playing the game then a fan watching it. A player first has to confess and repent of all sins according to the will of God. Then he has to witness several miracles to show that the coach ( God ) is in total control of the game being played. Once the player is ready, then he has to start writing or typing the words God forms in him mind for a couple of years until he knows he and the coach are of one mind. Then the player has to start speaking those words until he's ready to go out and preach the gospel of God and witness thousands of chosen believers listening to God's voice and believing some or all of the knowledge of Christ that comes forth from the gospel. That player will continue to preach the gospel of God until he's killed.

Fans learn how to go to a building that is built with human hands according to the beast and go inside to hear coaches from the other teams confuse them with their false strategies and plays. They each get a playbook read and study that us players don't need because our coach makes sure that we get all that knowledge put right directly into our minds. We never need the playbook with us while we're playing the game but some of the fans sitting in the grand stand have their playbooks with them criticizing all the players for not playing exactly to the way they interpret the playbook.

All the fans will burn up with the buildings including the players but the coach and all his plays will remain in the mind until the next season when all new players will wake up in a brand new stadium. The coach will give them all new plays and all created men will be players on a new earth forever and ever. Never again will there be fans in the grandstand pretending they know how to play the game.

Nice..so you're like Michael Jordan and what not. Went through the real process. You know, played high school ball...got cut..which was your trial and what not. You bounced back..made the team..was successful. Then went to college...got more training..then went to the professional level and became the greatest to ever do it.

Me?

I'm more like the Kobe Bryant type. Not as great as you, cause I didn't go through the process...still one of the greats though..I was just so gifted at playing the game that I decided to skip a few steps. And in doing so, opened the door for many others to do the same thing..and be great players. However, you're only as good as your TEAM MATES, sir.

ONE BODY...with MANY MEMBERS. You seem to have forgot about that. Perhaps, if you're going to use a sports analogy to describe your walk with GOD you should use a SOLO SPORT...like Boxing..or Golf...or...like the scriptures illustrated it as..

A Race.

Run your race, good sir. And run it to win a prize. Just realize...you are NOT THE ONLY ONE running the race. It's not a sprint...it's not about whose the fastest..or even the best runner. It's about who will ENDURE the RACE..and make it to the finish line.

Peace unto you. :)

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Micah 6: 8 He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God.

Billy Graham said --- "When names are called for crowns in heaven, they will be the nameless hidden saints among us. They may not be called Christians. They just love God."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's a whole different experience being a player playing the game then a fan watching it. A player first has to confess and repent of all sins according to the will of God. Then he has to witness several miracles to show that the coach ( God ) is in total control of the game being played.

It is an illistration of how true a fan someone is, nothing more.

One point. A Christian does not have to witness any mitacles to be a Christian or to be an effective Christian.
All that is needed is faith and obedience.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
All of us servants of God who are chosen to testify to the knowledge of Christ are removed from any religious groups in the world because they are influenced by Satan and the beast. If God is leading you away from religious people and the churches they build with their human hands according to the beast, then obey God, the one who is giving you the desire to not be involved with them and Satan.

If you obey God, He won't ever let you get involved with human beings who build visible church buildings with their human hands. God removed me from those visible church buildings and groups of religious people practicing man's traditions and teaching false doctrine's 24 years ago. I'm his last servant to testify to end the 1000 year reign of Christ so I know what's going on.

What about those who think God is telling them to do something that turns out badly for them or others?

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
A true Christian is one who believes and trust Jesus, a simple statement, but one that is hard to do.
Suppose someone tells you they are a sports fan, yet they never go to a game or never talk about their team. Would you believe they were a sports fan?

It's the same with Christianity, someone who never attends church, doesn't talk about Christianity, giveto charity etc etc etc you would be right to question their christianity.

Not so. There are no requirements to attend church, to talk about Christianity, give to charity, etc. These are all "works" which have little or nothing to do with one's faith. BTW, "Christianity" is always capitalized.
It's a whole different experience being a player playing the game then a fan watching it. A player first has to confess and repent of all sins according to the will of God. Then he has to witness several miracles to show that the coach ( God ) is in total control of the game being played. Once the player is ready, then he has to start writing or typing the words God forms in him mind for a couple of years until he knows he and the coach are of one mind. Then the player has to start speaking those words until he's ready to go out and preach the gospel of God and witness thousands of chosen believers listening to God's voice and believing some or all of the knowledge of Christ that comes forth from the gospel. That player will continue to preach the gospel of God until he's killed.

Fans learn how to go to a building that is built with human hands according to the beast and go inside to hear coaches from the other teams confuse them with their false strategies and plays. They each get a playbook read and study that us players don't need because our coach makes sure that we get all that knowledge put right directly into our minds. We never need the playbook with us while we're playing the game but some of the fans sitting in the grand stand have their playbooks with them criticizing all the players for not playing exactly to the way they interpret the playbook.

All the fans will burn up with the buildings including the players but the coach and all his plays will remain in the mind until the next season when all new players will wake up in a brand new stadium. The coach will give them all new plays and all created men will be players on a new earth forever and ever. Never again will there be fans in the grandstand pretending they know how to play the game.

This is the strangest analogy that I have ever read. There is nothing in scripture that agrees with this.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I know exactly who I am and what I have experienced with God. You will never know what I know or experienced as a servant of God after hearing His voice over 37 years ago. You have no idea what it takes for God to get a servant ready to testify on His behalf or preach the gospel for Him to His chosen believers.

I know your father who is lying to me. He lies to all created men.

So Peter, Stephen, Paul and the other apostles, who heard Jesus' voice for only a few years, couldn't possibly know what you know after 37 years? I have heard his voice for over 40 years, and I know that you are absolutely wrong.

Upvote 0