Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So I gotta ask then, cease from struggling __________?

Many people try to behave a certain way via their own efforts. There is no way that they will be able to change their behavior on their own, so they struggle. If they enter God's rest and cease trying to achieve peace and harmony on their own they will find what they're looking for.

Reactions: Nathan@work
Upvote 0

Nathan@work

Always ready :)
Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟19,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Many people try to behave a certain way via their own efforts. There is no way that they will be able to change their behavior on their own, so they struggle. If they enter God's rest and cease trying to achieve peace and harmony on their own they will find what they're looking for.

Ok. I know we still ‘struggle’ against sin, so I was just wondering if you included that too.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Ok. I know we still ‘struggle’ against sin, so I was just wondering if you included that too.

I do not consider struggling to be valid. Christians have been given the Holy Spirit, and He will lead you. When I am tempted I pray, as struggling against sin is fruitless. All it does is give permission to "the flesh" to be a factor in one's behavior.

I and every other Christian has entered God's rest. Hebrews 4:10, "For the one who enters God’s rest has also rested from his works, just as God did from his own works."

Am I sinless? Of course not; I am human. But I do not struggle with sin. I let the Holy Spirit do His work inside of me.

Please excuse the poor analogy, but it's similar to getting vaccinated for COVID-19. I cannot defeat the virus on my own; it would probably kill me. But I have received both vaccinations, so while I may be somewhat affected I will prevail because of the protection I have received.

I feel badly for all those Christians who feel that they must continuously struggle with sin.

Romans 6 begins with this...
"What shall we say then? Are we to remain in sin so that grace may increase? Absolutely not! How can we who died to sin still live in it? Or do you not know that as many as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? Therefore we have been buried with him through baptism into death, in order that just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too may live a new life.

For if we have become united with him in the likeness of his death, we will certainly also be united in the likeness of his resurrection. We know that our old man was crucified with him so that the body of sin would no longer dominate us, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. (For someone who has died has been freed from sin.)

For if we have become united with him in the likeness of his death, we will certainly also be united in the likeness of his resurrection. We know that our old man was crucified with him so that the body of sin would no longer dominate us, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. (For someone who has died has been freed from sin.)"

Perhaps my attitude can be perceived as "pie-in-the-sky" thinking but it's what the Bible says. Many people can believe that they must struggle continually with sin after they have received the Holy Spirit, but I believe differently. I have accepted Christ as my personal savior. He died to pay the penalty for my sins and sent me the Holy Spirit to live within me and guide me, so I have entered God's rest.

Upvote 0

Nathan@work

Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟19,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do not consider struggling to be valid. Christians have been given the Holy Spirit, and He will lead you. When I am tempted I pray, as struggling against sin is fruitless. All it does is give permission to "the flesh" to be a factor in one's behavior.

I and every other Christian has entered God's rest. Hebrews 4:10, "For the one who enters God’s rest has also rested from his works, just as God did from his own works."

Am I sinless? Of course not; I am human. But I do not struggle with sin. I let the Holy Spirit do His work inside of me.

Please excuse the poor analogy, but it's similar to getting vaccinated for COVID-19. I cannot defeat the virus on my own; it would probably kill me. But I have received both vaccinations, so while I may be somewhat affected I will prevail because of the protection I have received.

I feel badly for all those Christians who feel that they must continuously struggle with sin.

Romans 6 begins with this...
"What shall we say then? Are we to remain in sin so that grace may increase? Absolutely not! How can we who died to sin still live in it? Or do you not know that as many as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? Therefore we have been buried with him through baptism into death, in order that just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too may live a new life.

For if we have become united with him in the likeness of his death, we will certainly also be united in the likeness of his resurrection. We know that our old man was crucified with him so that the body of sin would no longer dominate us, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. (For someone who has died has been freed from sin.)

For if we have become united with him in the likeness of his death, we will certainly also be united in the likeness of his resurrection. We know that our old man was crucified with him so that the body of sin would no longer dominate us, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. (For someone who has died has been freed from sin.)"

Perhaps my attitude can be perceived as "pie-in-the-sky" thinking but it's what the Bible says. Many people can believe that they must struggle continually with sin after they have received the Holy Spirit, but I believe differently. I have accepted Christ as my personal savior. He died to pay the penalty for my sins and sent me the Holy Spirit to live within me and guide me, so I have entered God's rest.

Ok, I see what you are saying.

How do you interpret this passage?

[Heb 12:3-6 ESV]

Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? "My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives."

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Ok, I see what you are saying.

How do you interpret this passage?

[Heb 12:3-6 ESV]

Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? "My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives."

What is there to interpret? Jesus endured hostility from His opponents; we can expect the same. People will continue persecuting the church until Jesus returns, and we are to endure it as Jesus did.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Agreed. Hebrews 8:10-12 which is Paul quoting from Jeremiah 31:31-34 with application from Ezekiel 36:24-27 say God's new covenant application of writing his laws in our hearts and mind and being born again in His Spirit to walk in His law is for God's new covenant promise to ISRAEL!

God's ISRAEL according to the new covenant scriptures are no longer those who are born in the flesh of the seed of Abraham but all those who are born again in the Spirit of God (John 3:3-7; 1 John 3:4-9; 1 John 2:3-4) who are all those who believe and follow Gods' Word *Romans 9:6-8; Galatians 3:28-29; Romans 2:28-29; Ephesians 2:11-13.

If we are not a part of God's ISRAEL then we have no part in Gods new covenant promise. Gentile believers are now grafted in with Jewish believers and we are all now one in Christ *Romans 11:13-27; Romans 12:5; Galatians 3:28-29. Therefore what this means is that Gods' Word and promises are for all those who now believe and follow Gods' Word.

Gods' 4th commandment Sabbath is a sign of who Gods' people are according to the scriptures which is given to Gods' true ISRAEL as a sign that the God of creation is the one who saved his people from their sins *Ezekiel 20:12; 20; from Exodus 31:13. God's 4th commandment Sabbath is one of Gods' 10 commandments that give us the knowledge of what sin is when broken according to Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4.

Therefore all those who believe and follow Gods' Word that the new covenant now defines as God's ISRAEL who are born of the Spirit by believing and following Gods' Word are given the Sabbath as a sign that is given to ISRAEL (God's people) that shows we are God's people and God is sanctifying us according to *Exodus 31:13; Ezekiel 20:12; 20; John 17:17; John 6:63 and as Paul says THEREFORE IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH -Hebrews 4:9.

According to the scriptures if we break anyone of God's 10 commandments when God gives us a knowledge of the truth of His Word according to James we stand guilty before God of sin in James 2:10-11. Paul also says the same thing in Hebrews 10:26-31.

In these times of ignorance however, God winks at according to James 4:17 and Acts of the Apostles 17:30-31 and does not hold us accountable for sin until we receive a knowledge of the truth of Gods' Word at which time God calls us to believe and follow it *Acts 17:30.
Your response here...
[Heb 4:9-10 ESV] So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his. How does one enter this Sabbath rest?

I think you missed the point of the post you are quoting from. What do you think the post you are quoting from means? Happy to discuss Hebrews 4 shortly.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 4:9 - So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. (NASB) Notice that the Greek word "sabbatismos" here is used no where else in the Bible! Amazing that Sabbatarians would suggest that this is the word for "keeping the weekly Sabbath" when it is never used anywhere else in the Bible!

W. E. Vine, Greek Dictionary points out:

Sabbath rest (4520) (sabbatismos from sabbatízo = keep the Sabbath) literally means a keeping of a sabbath or a keeping of days of rest. It is used in this passage not in the literal sense (meaning to keep a specific day, the "Sabbath" day) but to describe a period of rest for God’s people which is modeled after and is a fulfillment of the traditional Sabbath.

SABBATISMOS a Sabbath-keeping, is used in Heb. 4:9, R.V., "a Sabbath rest," A.V. marg., "a keeping of a Sabbath" (akin to sabbatizoµ, to keep the Sabbath, used, e.g., in Ex. 16:30, not in the N.T.); here the Sabbath-keeping is the perpetual Sabbath rest to be enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with the Father and the Son, in contrast to the weekly Sabbath under the Law. Because this Sabbath rest is the rest of God Himself, its full fruition is yet future, though believers now enter into it. In whatever way they enter into divine “rest,” that which they enjoy is involved in an indissoluble relation with God. (Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words)

HEBREWS 4:1-9 AND GOD'S SABBATH REST?

Not really Dan but let me explain why from the scriptures. Firstly the sections you have highlighted in Vines is his opinion it is not the literal Greek that you did not highlight from the same reference.

What you did not highlight is the actual literal Greek that disagrees with your application here and the scriptures and their context to Hebrews 4:1-9 that we will go through section by section shortly. In your post here you posted the opinion of Vine but not what the literal Greek says in the same quote which shows the literal meaning of Sabbatismos here...

Sabbath rest (4520) (sabbatismos from sabbatízo = keep the Sabbath) literally means a keeping of a sabbath or a keeping of days of rest.

The above being the literal meaning in the same passage of the Greek. The rest is not the literal meaning of the Greek but a commentary of Vines opinion of the meaning of the passage.

Now let's look at both the literal Greek meaning of Sabbatismos and add all the scripture contexts in to see if it is saying what Vines says it is saying we all also add in other Lexicons and see if they are in agreement with Vine's.

WHAT IS GOD’S REST IN HEBREWS 3 and HEBREWS 4? (exegesis)

HEBREWS 4:1-11
[1], Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
[2], For to us was the gospel preached, as well as to them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
[3], For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
[4], For he spoke in a certain place of the SEVENTH DAY on this wise, And God did rest the SEVENTH DAY from all his works.
5, And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

KEY POINTS FROM THE SCRIPTURES OF HEBREWS 4:1-5 (exegesis)

NOTE: Context in Hebrews 4:1-5 is God's Rest from the seventh day Sabbath from the foundation of the world (v4-5) and those who enter Gods rest by and believing and following Gods Word [the gospel] who enter into God's Sabbath rest as God did on the seventh day of the week. The context here defining God’s rest/My rest/His rest is to God’s seventh day Sabbath rest created at the foundation of the world that those who believe or do not believe God's WORD do or do not enter into.

The new testament writer of Hebrews is warning us that if we do not believe and follow God's Word (the gospel) and continue in sin and unbelief (Hebrews 3:10-13; 18-19) we will never enter into God's rest (His Rest/My Rest) which is defined as the "seventh day" Sabbath rest in Hebrews 4:1-5. There are two rests here. One is to the rest we enter into by believing and following Gods Word which is our rest and the rest we enter into by believing and following God’s Word to God’s rest which is the seventh day Sabbath.

Hebrews 4:3-5 defines God's rest by saying [3], For we which have believed do enter into rest (our rest from or the gospel rest of believing and following God's Word), as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest (God's rest): although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. [4], For he spoke in a certain place of the "seventh day" on this wise, And God did rest the "seventh day" from all his works. [5], And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest ("seventh day").

[6], Seeing therefore it remains that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
[7], Again, he limits a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if you will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
[8], For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
[9] SO THEN, IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH.
[10], For he that is entered into his rest, he also has ceased from his own works, as God did from his. [11], Let us labor therefore to enter that rest, [God’s REST the SEVENTH DAY SABBATH] lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief [rejecting God’s WORD and sin; Hebrews 3].

KEY POINTS OF HEBREWS 4:9 (exegesis)

Now notice Hebrews 4, verse 9: “SO THEN, IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH.” In verses 1, 3, 4 and 8, the Greek word for “rest” is katapausin. It means “rest.” But in verse 9, the Greek word for “rest” is sabbatismos, which is a Hebrew word—Sabbat, which means “the Sabbath”—combined with a Greek suffix—ismos, which means “a keeping of” or “a doing of.” Put together, sabbatismo means “a keeping of the Sabbath.” When correctly translated, Hebrews 4:9 should read, “There remains therefore a keeping of the Sabbath to the people of God.

According to the Greek and scripture contexts of Hebrews 3:7-19 and Hebrews 4:1-9, Hebrews 4:9 is in regards to God’s seventh day Sabbath of the 4th commandment which in the context of Hebrews 4:1-5 which defines God’s rest/My rest/His rest (Hebrews 3:11; 18-19; Hebrews 4:1; 3; 5; 10) as the “seventh day” from the foundation of the world *Hebrews 4:3-4.

Greek
Hebrews 4:9 ἄρα ἀπολείπεται σαββατισμὸς τῷ λαῷ τοῦ θεοῦ·

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Hebrews 4:9 So then, it remains for the people of God to keep the Sabbath.

Lamsa Bible
Hebrews 4:9 It is therefore the duty of the people of God to keep the Sabbath.

Let's look at what other Interlinear and Lexicons say...

GREEK INTERLINEAR
HEBREWS 4:9 άρα (Then) απολείπεται (there is left) σαββατισμός (a Sabbath keeping) τω (to the) λαώ (people) του θεού (of God)

GREEK LEXICON OF THE NEW TESTAMENT, Abbott-Smith - G4520
*† σαββατισμός, - οῦ, ὁ
(< σαββατίζω, to keep the sabbath, Exod 16:30, al.),
a keeping sabbath, a sabbath rest: metaph., as in Mishna (Zorell, s.v.), Heb 4:9.†

LIDDEL/SCOTT/JONES GREEK-ENGLISH LEXICON - G4520
σαββατισμός
Σαββᾰτ-ισμός, ὁ, a keeping of days of rest, Ep. Heb 4:9, cf. Plu. 2.166a (codd., βαπτισμούς Bentley).

STRONGS LEXICON
So ἄρα (ara) Conjunction Strong's Greek 686: Then, therefore, since. Probably from airo; a particle denoting an inference more or less decisive.
there remains ἀπολείπεται (apoleipetai) Verb - Present Indicative Middle or Passive - 3rd Person Singular Strong's Greek 620: From apo and leipo; to leave behind; by implication, to forsake. a Sabbath rest σαββατισμὸς (sabbatismos) Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's Greek 4520: A keeping of the Sabbath, a Sabbath rest. From a derivative of sabbaton; a 'sabbatism', i.e. the repose of Christianity. for the τῷ () Article - Dative Masculine Singular Strong's Greek 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the. people λαῷ (laō) Noun - Dative Masculine Singular Strong's Greek 2992: Apparently a primary word; a people.
of God. Θεοῦ (Theou) Noun - Genitive Masculine Singular Strong's Greek 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.

STRONGS CONCORDENCE
sabbatismos: a sabbath rest Definition: a sabbath rest Usage (DOING): a keeping of the Sabbath, a Sabbath rest.

GREEK-ENGLISH LEXICON OF THE NEW TESTAMENT. THAYER - G4520
G4520 — σαββατισμός
σαββατισμου, ὁ (σαββατίζω to keep the sabbath);

W. E. VINE, GREEK DICTIONARY

Sabbath rest (4520) (sabbatismos from sabbatízo = keep the Sabbath) literally means a keeping of a sabbath or a keeping of days of rest. (Note the rest of Vines comments is not the Greek it is his opinion)

HEBREWS 4:9 [9], SO THEN IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH.

…………..

Hebrews 3:7-19 to Hebrews 4:1-11 is warning us that if we do not believe and follow God's Word (the gospel) and we continue in sin and unbelief (Hebrews 3:10-13; 18-19) we will never enter into God's rest (His Rest/My Rest) which is defined as the "seventh day" Sabbath rest in Hebrews 4:1-5. Hebrews 4:3-5 defines God's rest by saying [3], For we which have believed do enter into rest (our rest from or the gospel rest of believing and following God's Word), as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest (God's rest): although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. [4], For he spoke in a certain place of the "seventh day" on this wise, And God did rest the "seventh day" from all his works. [5], And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest ("seventh day"). There are two rests being described. One is our rest we receive through believing and following God's Word (the gospel) *Matthew 11:28-30; Hebrews 4:2-3 and God's rest *Hebrews 3:11; 18; Hebrews 4:1; 3; 5-6; 8-9; 10-11. Hebrews 4:9 THEREFORE IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH. Why? Because the true seventh day Sabbath rest is a sign of God's true people who God sanctifies to keep all the commandments of God through faith in God's Word *Exodus 31:13; Exodus 31:17; Ezekiel 20:12; Ezekiel 20:20; Revelation 12:17; Revelation 22:14.

SUMMARY
: God's rest is the "seventh day Sabbath" of creation. Our rest is that of believing and following Gods' Word. No one enters into God's rest (defined in Hebrews as the "seventh day Sabbath") unless they believe and follow Gods' Word (the gospel rest). Of course God's 4th commandment of the 10 commandments (Exodus 20:8-11) are a part of God's Word (the gospel) that God's people who enter into Gods rest believe and follow in Gods' Word just like Jesus did and the Apostles and prophets in Gods' Word. Everything provided here are not my words but have been taken directly from the scriptures which are God's Words not mine (exegesis). The warnings here are very clear. Those who do not believe and follow God's Word in order to continue in a life of known unrepentant sin (breaking anyone of God's commandments - James 2:10-11) just like those in the wilderness do not enter into Gods' rest (seventh day Sabbath) and will be in danger of the judgement to come (Hebrews 10:26-31)

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nathan@work

Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟19,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is there to interpret? Jesus endured hostility from His opponents; we can expect the same. People will continue persecuting the church until Jesus returns, and we are to endure it as Jesus did.
And the part about struggling with sin?

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And the part about struggling with sin?

"Think of him who endured such opposition against himself by sinners, so that you may not grow weary in your souls and give up. You have not yet resisted to the point of bloodshed in your struggle against sin." Hebrews 12:3-4

Obviously this means that the blood has been shed by others, who are motivated by sin to harm you.

Upvote 0

Nathan@work

Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟19,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Think of him who endured such opposition against himself by sinners, so that you may not grow weary in your souls and give up. You have not yet resisted to the point of bloodshed in your struggle against sin." Hebrews 12:3-4

Obviously this means that the blood has been shed by others, who are motivated by sin to harm you.

Yea, so, I don’t agree at all.

When you look at the chapter alone it is saying that we do have a struggle against our own sin.

Not that we are struggling against the sin of others.

Hebrews 12:1 (ESV) Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nathan@work

Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟19,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
HEBREWS 4:1-9 AND GOD'S SABBATH REST?

Not really Dan but let me explain why from the scriptures. Firstly the sections you have highlighted in Vines is his opinion it is not the literal Greek that you did not highlight from the same reference.

What you did not highlight is the actual literal Greek that disagrees with your application here and the scriptures and their context to Hebrews 4:1-9 that we will go through section by section shortly. In your post here you posted the opinion of Vine but not what the literal Greek says in the same quote which shows the literal meaning of Sabbatismos here...

Sabbath rest (4520) (sabbatismos from sabbatízo = keep the Sabbath) literally means a keeping of a sabbath or a keeping of days of rest.

The above being the literal meaning in the same passage of the Greek. The rest is not the literal meaning of the Greek but a commentary of Vines opinion of the meaning of the passage.

Now let's look at both the literal Greek meaning of Sabbatismos and add all the scripture contexts in to see if it is saying what Vines says it is saying we all also add in other Lexicons and see if they are in agreement with Vine's.

WHAT IS GOD’S REST IN HEBREWS 3 and HEBREWS 4? (exegesis)

HEBREWS 4:1-11
[1], Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
[2], For to us was the gospel preached, as well as to them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
[3], For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
[4], For he spoke in a certain place of the SEVENTH DAY on this wise, And God did rest the SEVENTH DAY from all his works.
5, And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

KEY POINTS FROM THE SCRIPTURES OF HEBREWS 4:1-5 (exegesis)

NOTE: Context in Hebrews 4:1-5 is God's Rest from the seventh day Sabbath from the foundation of the world (v4-5) and those who enter Gods rest by and believing and following Gods Word [the gospel] who enter into God's Sabbath rest as God did on the seventh day of the week. The context here defining God’s rest/My rest/His rest is to God’s seventh day Sabbath rest created at the foundation of the world that those who believe or do not believe God's WORD do or do not enter into.

The new testament writer of Hebrews is warning us that if we do not believe and follow God's Word (the gospel) and continue in sin and unbelief (Hebrews 3:10-13; 18-19) we will never enter into God's rest (His Rest/My Rest) which is defined as the "seventh day" Sabbath rest in Hebrews 4:1-5. There are two rests here. One is to the rest we enter into by believing and following Gods Word which is our rest and the rest we enter into by believing and following God’s Word to God’s rest which is the seventh day Sabbath.

Hebrews 4:3-5 defines God's rest by saying [3], For we which have believed do enter into rest (our rest from or the gospel rest of believing and following God's Word), as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest (God's rest): although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. [4], For he spoke in a certain place of the "seventh day" on this wise, And God did rest the "seventh day" from all his works. [5], And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest ("seventh day").

[6], Seeing therefore it remains that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
[7], Again, he limits a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if you will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
[8], For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
[9] SO THEN, IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH.
[10], For he that is entered into his rest, he also has ceased from his own works, as God did from his. [11], Let us labor therefore to enter that rest, [God’s REST the SEVENTH DAY SABBATH] lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief [rejecting God’s WORD and sin; Hebrews 3].

KEY POINTS OF HEBREWS 4:9 (exegesis)

Now notice Hebrews 4, verse 9: “SO THEN, IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH.” In verses 1, 3, 4 and 8, the Greek word for “rest” is katapausin. It means “rest.” But in verse 9, the Greek word for “rest” is sabbatismos, which is a Hebrew word—Sabbat, which means “the Sabbath”—combined with a Greek suffix—ismos, which means “a keeping of” or “a doing of.” Put together, sabbatismo means “a keeping of the Sabbath.” When correctly translated, Hebrews 4:9 should read, “There remains therefore a keeping of the Sabbath to the people of God.

According to the Greek and scripture contexts of Hebrews 3:7-19 and Hebrews 4:1-9, Hebrews 4:9 is in regards to God’s seventh day Sabbath of the 4th commandment which in the context of Hebrews 4:1-5 which defines God’s rest/My rest/His rest (Hebrews 3:11; 18-19; Hebrews 4:1; 3; 5; 10) as the “seventh day” from the foundation of the world *Hebrews 4:3-4.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Hebrews 4:9 So then, it remains for the people of God to keep the Sabbath.

Lamsa Bible
Hebrews 4:9 It is therefore the duty of the people of God to keep the Sabbath.

Let's look at what other Interlinear and Lexicons say...

GREEK INTERLINEAR
HEBREWS 4:9 άρα (Then) απολείπεται (there is left) σαββατισμός (a Sabbath keeping) τω (to the) λαώ (people) του θεού (of God)

GREEK LEXICON OF THE NEW TESTAMENT, Abbott-Smith - G4520
*† σαββατισμός, - οῦ, ὁ
(< σαββατίζω, to keep the sabbath, Exod 16:30, al.),
a keeping sabbath, a sabbath rest: metaph., as in Mishna (Zorell, s.v.), Heb 4:9.†

LIDDEL/SCOTT/JONES GREEK-ENGLISH LEXICON - G4520
σαββατισμός
Σαββᾰτ-ισμός, ὁ, a keeping of days of rest, Ep. Heb 4:9, cf. Plu. 2.166a (codd., βαπτισμούς Bentley).

STRONGS LEXICON
So ἄρα (ara) Conjunction Strong's Greek 686: Then, therefore, since. Probably from airo; a particle denoting an inference more or less decisive.
there remains ἀπολείπεται (apoleipetai) Verb - Present Indicative Middle or Passive - 3rd Person Singular Strong's Greek 620: From apo and leipo; to leave behind; by implication, to forsake. a Sabbath rest σαββατισμὸς (sabbatismos) Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's Greek 4520: A keeping of the Sabbath, a Sabbath rest. From a derivative of sabbaton; a 'sabbatism', i.e. the repose of Christianity. for the τῷ () Article - Dative Masculine Singular Strong's Greek 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the. people λαῷ (laō) Noun - Dative Masculine Singular Strong's Greek 2992: Apparently a primary word; a people.
of God. Θεοῦ (Theou) Noun - Genitive Masculine Singular Strong's Greek 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.

STRONGS CONCORDENCE
sabbatismos: a sabbath rest Definition: a sabbath rest Usage (DOING): a keeping of the Sabbath, a Sabbath rest.

GREEK-ENGLISH LEXICON OF THE NEW TESTAMENT. THAYER - G4520
G4520 — σαββατισμός
σαββατισμου, ὁ (σαββατίζω to keep the sabbath);

W. E. VINE, GREEK DICTIONARY

Sabbath rest (4520) (sabbatismos from sabbatízo = keep the Sabbath) literally means a keeping of a sabbath or a keeping of days of rest. (Note the rest of Vines comments is not the Greek it is his opinion)

HEBREWS 4:9 [9], SO THEN IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH.

…………..

Hebrews 3:7-19 to Hebrews 4:1-11 is warning us that if we do not believe and follow God's Word (the gospel) and we continue in sin and unbelief (Hebrews 3:10-13; 18-19) we will never enter into God's rest (His Rest/My Rest) which is defined as the "seventh day" Sabbath rest in Hebrews 4:1-5. Hebrews 4:3-5 defines God's rest by saying [3], For we which have believed do enter into rest (our rest from or the gospel rest of believing and following God's Word), as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest (God's rest): although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. [4], For he spoke in a certain place of the "seventh day" on this wise, And God did rest the "seventh day" from all his works. [5], And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest ("seventh day"). There are two rests being described. One is our rest we receive through believing and following God's Word (the gospel) *Matthew 11:28-30; Hebrews 4:2-3 and God's rest *Hebrews 3:11; 18; Hebrews 4:1; 3; 5-6; 8-9; 10-11. Hebrews 4:9 THEREFORE IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH. Why? Because the true seventh day Sabbath rest is a sign of God's true people who God sanctifies to keep all the commandments of God through faith in God's Word *Exodus 31:13; Exodus 31:17; Ezekiel 20:12; Ezekiel 20:20; Revelation 12:17; Revelation 22:14.

SUMMARY
: God's rest is the "seventh day Sabbath" of creation. Our rest is that of believing and following Gods' Word. No one enters into God's rest (defined in Hebrews as the "seventh day Sabbath") unless they believe and follow Gods' Word (the gospel rest). Of course God's 4th commandment of the 10 commandments (Exodus 20:8-11) are a part of God's Word (the gospel) that God's people who enter into Gods rest believe and follow in Gods' Word just like Jesus did and the Apostles and prophets in Gods' Word. Everything provided here are not my words but have been taken directly from the scriptures which are God's Words not mine (exegesis). The warnings here are very clear. Those who do not believe and follow God's Word in order to continue in a life of known unrepentant sin (breaking anyone of God's commandments - James 2:10-11) just like those in the wilderness do not enter into Gods' rest (seventh day Sabbath) and will be in danger of the judgement to come (Hebrews 10:26-31)

Hope this is helpful.

I think you missed a lot.

First the weekly Sabbath is not a continuation of the Sabbath Day God rested. The weekly Sabbath was to remind them of that day.

Second, Hebrews is very specific how we enter that rest. It is definitely not by working. That would for sure be against what the Sabbath is.

Hebrews 4:3 (ESV) For we who have believed enter that rest, as he has said, “As I swore in my wrath, ‘They shall not enter my rest,’” although his works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Hebrews 4:10 (ESV) for whoever has entered God’s rest has also rested from his works as God did from his.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟304,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

First the weekly Sabbath is not a continuation of the Sabbath Day God rested. The weekly Sabbath was to remind them of that day.

Second, Hebrews is very specific how we enter that rest. It is definitely not by working. That would for sure be against what the Sabbath is.

Hebrews 4:3 (ESV) For we who have believed enter that rest, as he has said, “As I swore in my wrath, ‘They shall not enter my rest,’” although his works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Hebrews 4:10 (ESV) for whoever has entered God’s rest has also rested from his works as God did from his.
Even though crafty individuals may set out like a Philadelphia lawyer to explain away the truth, it’s really simple to understand. The “sabbatismos” rest in Hebrews 4:9, as Vines explained so well is the perpetual Sabbath rest to be enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with the Father and the Son, in contrast to the weekly Sabbath under the Law.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Even though crafty individuals may set out like a Philadelphia lawyer to explain away the truth, it’s really simple to understand. The “sabbatismos” rest in Hebrews 4:9, as Vines explained so well is the perpetual Sabbath rest to be enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with the Father and the Son, in contrast to the weekly Sabbath under the Law.

You have posted a mans opinion. I have posted the original Greek texts and the contexts you have left out provided for you in post # 587 while also showing that in the very quote you provide from Vines states that the literal meaning of sabbatismos means a "keeping of the Sabbath" which is also supported by numerous other Interlinears and Lexicons and Greek dictionaries used in the same post. If you disagree your welcome to address the linked post as it is God's Word not mine. All you have provided is an opinion of a man unsupported by scripture and context so we will have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Missed what exactly? Your comments here seem to be a hand waive of the scriptures your quoting from that disagree with you which are God's Words not my words. Of course you are free to believe as you wish but for me only God's Word is true and we should believe and follow them according to the scriptures in Romans 4:3; Acts of the Apostles 5:29.

You state in your post here
"First the weekly Sabbath is not a continuation of the Sabbath Day God rested. The weekly Sabbath was to remind them of that day"

Now were on earth does it say that in the bible?

All the context was provided from Hebrews 4:1-12 post # 587 linked. If you disagree your welcome to show why it is you disagree. All you have provided is your opinion unsupported by scripture. There are two rests spoken of in Hebrews 4:1-12. One rest is the gospel rest from believing and following God's Word as shown in the OP. The other rest spoken of is God's rest which is the "seventh day" Sabbath rest that those who believe and follow God's word (the gospel rest) enter into because they believe and follow Gods' Word. It is nothing to do with working. God's rest according to the scriptures is the "seventh day Sabbath" we enter it by believing and following Gods' Word (the Gospel rest). No one enters into God's rest (the seventh day Sabbath) if they do not believe and follow Gods' Word. Hebrews 4:9 THEREFORE IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH. What is it you do not believe?

PS. I am still waiting for you to answer post # 486 did you wish to answer it or not? You do not have to if you do not want to, just say so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nathan@work

Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟19,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your response here...

I think you missed the point of the post you are quoting from. What do you think the post you are quoting from means? Happy to discuss Hebrews 4 shortly.

The passage I posted was to let you see that you were misquoting that passage in Hebrews. I think you paraphrased the passage and jumbled up the words a little. I’m doing so someone could think it says something that it really does not.

The passage means exactly what it says. I don’t have any opinion on it really.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nathan@work

Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟19,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Missed what exactly? Your comments here seem to be a hand waive of the scriptures your quoting from that disagree with you which are God's Words not my words. Of course you are free to believe as you wish but for me only God's Word is true and we should believe and follow them according to the scriptures in Romans 4:3; Acts of the Apostles 5:29.

You state in your post here

Now were on earth does it say that in the bible?

All the context was provided from Hebrews 4:1-12 post # 587 linked. If you disagree your welcome to show why it is you disagree. All you have provided is your opinion unsupported by scripture. There are two rests spoken of in Hebrews 4:1-12. One rest is the gospel rest from believing and following God's Word as shown in the OP. The other rest spoken of is God's rest which is the "seventh day" Sabbath rest that those who believe and follow God's word (the gospel rest) enter into because they believe and follow Gods' Word. It is nothing to do with working. God's rest according to the scriptures is the "seventh day Sabbath" we enter it by believing and following Gods' Word (the Gospel rest). No one enters into God's rest (the seventh day Sabbath) if they do not believe and follow Gods' Word. Hebrews 4:9 THEREFORE IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH. What is it you do not believe?

PS. I am still waiting for you to answer post # 486 did you wish to answer it or not? You do not have to if you do not want to, just say so.

Your funny. :)

I was saying the Bible does not say what you are saying, and you try to turn that around and ask me where the Bible says it?

It does not say it. That is the point. Your not going to find what your saying about the Sabbath in the Bible.

I cannot show you something that is not there. :)

So let me ask you to show me where you find that the weekly Sabbath is a continuation of the Sabbath Day God created instead of a remembrance of that day?

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yea, so, I don’t agree at all.

When you look at the chapter alone it is saying that we do have a struggle against our own sin.

Not that we are struggling against the sin of others.

Hebrews 12:1 (ESV) Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,

If you're still struggling with sin then it seems to me that you aren't following the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Christians are supposed to be in God's rest and stop struggling with our own (inadequate) ability to combat sin.

In your quote above, what is it about laying aside sin that you don't understand?

• Winner
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

Nathan@work

Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟19,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you're still struggling with sin then it seems to me that you aren't following the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Christians are supposed to be in God's rest and stop struggling with our own (inadequate) ability to combat sin.

In your quote above, what is it about laying aside sin that you don't understand?

Maybe it is the difference in how we can define struggling.

There is a struggle when you hold on to something and won’t let go till you defeat it.

Then there is a struggle when something is trying to hold on to you, and you are ‘resisting’ it.

We lay aside the sin that clings to us because of our flesh. That would be the second type of struggle - probably better understood as resisting.

Just because you are following the Spirit does not mean you will not be tempted to sin. Jesus was tempted, and always resisted it.

Does that mean He struggled? Not in one sense of the word, yet in another we know He did.

Jesus ‘endured’ the cross. That is to say He persevered to stay on it. You cannot persevere if there is nothing to oppose.

So our ‘struggle’ against sin is to not let temptation lead us away - we persevere towards Faith which is to resist sin that would lead us away.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Your funny. :)

I was saying the Bible does not say what you are saying, and you try to turn that around and ask me where the Bible says it?

It does not say it. That is the point. Your not going to find what your saying about the Sabbath in the Bible.

I cannot show you something that is not there. :)

So let me ask you to show me where you find that the weekly Sabbath is a continuation of the Sabbath Day God created instead of a remembrance of that day?

To be honest and frank with you Nathan. I do not think there is anything funny about not believing and following Gods' Word (see Hebrews 10:26-31) and I did not say what you said I did in your post that you are quoting from so I suggest you re-read it. If you notice my posts for everything I have said I have provided God's Word as proof that I have been sharing the truth of Gods' Word with you. These are Gods' Words not my words that testify that what I am sharing with you are true. In response all you have provided is your opinions, accusations and claims that are not supported by scripture saying that Gods Word that has been shared with you is not true yet these are Gods' Words not my words. I only asked you what exactly do you not agree with in the scriptures that were shared with you and asked you for scriptures to support what your claiming here in regards to the Sabbath. You did not provide any. For me as posted earlier only Gods' Word is true and we should believe and follow it *Romans 3:4; Acts of the Apostles 5:29. Now I also asked you other questions from post # 486 for which I am still waiting a response. Of course you are free to believe and do as you wish as we all answer only to God for the words of God we accept and reject according to John 12:47-48 come judgement day and you do not have to answer the questions I asked of you if you do not want to. Just let me know. Perhaps you can pray about them and consider them at home in your own time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nathan@work

Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟19,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To be honest and frank with you Nathan. I do not think there is anything funny about not believing and following Gods' Word (see Hebrews 10:26-31) and I did not say what you said I did in your post that you are quoting from so I suggest you re-read it. If you notice my posts for everything I have said I have provided God's Word as proof that I have been sharing the truth of Gods' Word with you. These are Gods' Words not my words that testify that what I am sharing with you are true. In response all you have provided is your opinions, accusations and claims that are not supported by scripture saying that Gods Word that has been shared with you is not true yet these are Gods' Words not my words. I only asked you what exactly do you not agree with in the scriptures that were shared with you and asked you for scriptures to support what your claiming here in regards to the Sabbath. You did not provide any. For me as posted earlier only Gods' Word is true and we should believe and follow it *Romans 3:4; Acts of the Apostles 5:29. Now I also asked you other questions from post # 486 for which I am still waiting a response. Of course you are free to believe and do as you wish as we all answer only to God for the words of God we accept and reject according to John 12:47-48 come judgement day and you do not have to answer the questions I asked of you if you do not want to. Just let me know. Perhaps you can pray about them and consider them at home in your own time.
I already responded to your post #486.

Why do you not answer my question in the post your quoting?

Since you like for others to respond to your questions, seems logical you would respond to ours.

Upvote 0