Not open for further replies.

Aaliyah

Sep 5, 2009
✟7,916.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Does anybody ever wonder what is the point of life? If we're supposed to live for God, then we are not living for ourselves. We can't do anything that WE want to do, it's what God wants. So what is the point? I guess I'm kind of struggling with this. :help:

I'm just so used to living for my self and doing what I want, that when God actually told me to do something I was like what? :confused:

I just don't understand why I was a Christian before and I did basically whatever I wanted and now I feel differently. I just feel like I've been robbed or something. I know it is possible to be happy doing what God's wants but it doesn't feel that way right now. I'm so confused. Does anyone else feel this way?

Aino

God's own
May 16, 2009
Finland
✟37,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think of this a lot too, though I sort of am on my way to the solution... You might live for God and you have some things that come along with it - having a relationship with him to start with - but it doesn't need to mean, that your life wouldn't be just what you make of it. God doesn't limit our ways of living or dreams so much, if you come to think of it - he just gives an outline in the law, which helps you not to hurt yourself or others while acting out your dreams and plans. Yes, we live for God, but our life is still our own. We still have endless choices to make!

Think about what you want to do and what kind of plans you have for yourself. What is it that you so much miss in living for yourself? Do those things clearly go against the scripture? If they do, could you perhaps think of a way to change them a little into a more godly way, without changing the main point of the thing too much? How high do you value the things you want? It's just a matter of compromise, viewing things from different standpoints and being creative. I hope my two pence was worth something, and if not, feel free to ignore. :) God bless!

Upvote 0
F

freeport

Does anybody ever wonder what is the point of life? If we're supposed to live for God, then we are not living for ourselves. We can't do anything that WE want to do, it's what God wants. So what is the point? I guess I'm kind of struggling with this. :help:

I'm just so used to living for my self and doing what I want, that when God actually told me to do something I was like what? :confused:

I just don't understand why I was a Christian before and I did basically whatever I wanted and now I feel differently. I just feel like I've been robbed or something. I know it is possible to be happy doing what God's wants but it doesn't feel that way right now. I'm so confused. Does anyone else feel this way?

What did God tell you to do?

Often doing God's will can involve struggles, but they include great joy, and ultimately leads to our own good. Which means greater joy and peace.

A lot of Christians have submitted themselves to bondage of condemnation which they had escaped from and get lost in "doing" one thing or another which God actually never asked them to do.

We are asked to do what is right and best even when it is tough, but God gives us the capability to do that... and do you really not want to keep your word, or to lie, or steal, and so on?

Upvote 0
B

Bridgit

The closer you get to God the more your life will have meaning, the less you will want to live for yourself. What you are experiencing now is normal. You just need to get to know Him (read your Bible, talk to Him) then your eyes will be open and you will experience the wonders of being transformed by Him.

Upvote 0

childofGod31

May 13, 2006
✟17,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Your problem is that you don't love God deeply. When you are in love with somebody, then you WANT TO do what they want. Imagine a boy you are crazy about. Would you NOT want to do what he wants?

Don't worry, it's not too late. I felt that way about five months ago. But that was before I fell in love with God.

Did you know that Jesus Christ is your groom? Did you know that He WANTS YOU? He wants your attention. He wants your love. He cherishes you and adores you and loves you deeper than you can ever imagine. Did you know that He is actually IN LOVE with You? He loves to stare at you. Just thinking that He has you makes Him happy. I know it's hard to believe. I wouldn't believe it myself unless He Himself revealed Himself to me and told me all this.

Now I am happier than I ever was. Living for one's self is not as much fun as being in love with Jesus Christ and experiencing His love. It's fun and it's delightful. (But of course, it's not about fun, it's about love. Our love is what He cherishes and desires most from us.)
And besides, living for yourself, means you are living in bondage to your flesh. God's will for us was to become like Jesus Christ. (Rom 8:29) When we still live for our flesh and obey its desires, we are not doing God's will. It's bad for our soul. We won't be set free and we won't be saved.

Gal 6:7,8 The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.

Imagine if God did not change your heart and you still blissfully were living to please your sinful nature, living for yourself? What would your end be? Thank God that He touched you, that He opened your eyes. It's something to be grateful about, not sad about.

You are lucky, Jesus Christ is calling you. Song of Songs is a prophetic poem about a journey of each soul towards her Lover. Your journey is probably soon to start. (Mine started 5 months ago and I am so happy).

You were made to love Him. Your soul will feel fully satisified when you fulfill your destiny.

If you feel interested, please read these. They are about love. About the love of the bride and groom, of Christ Jesus and you.

Fall in love with Jesus Christ. You are his bride and He is waiting for you. (To fall in love, you simply start talking to Him, He is always near you, He is in your heart. Start thinking about Him. Focus on loving thoughts. Negative thoughts will only give you a headache. But enter into the communion with Him by lovingly thinking everything you can about Him. Tell Him you love Him. He longs to hear your voice (read it in Song of Song, He said it there). He is calling you:

Son 2:13 Arise, come, my darling; my beautiful one, come with me."

SON 4:8 Come with me from Lebanon, my bride, come with me from Lebanon. Descend from the crest of Amana, ...from the lions' dens and the mountain haunts of the leopards.
9 You have stolen my heart, my sister, my bride; you have stolen my heart with one glance of your eyes

If you feel the desire in your heart stirring as you read this, then I am very excited for you. You are about to embark onto a very magical journey of a perfect love you have never known before.

Read this:

Bible 101 • View topic - Jesus Christ and YOU

Also read Song of Songs (or Song of Solomon).

Also, I share some of my experiences here:
(There are 5 parts)
Bible 101 • View topic - CONVERSATION WITH GOD, part one

And here are really good articles overall, you should technically read them all to grow in your knowledge:

Bible 101 • View forum - Questions by Christians

Upvote 0

Aaliyah

Sep 5, 2009
✟7,916.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Thank you all for your replies.

Aino, thank you very much it was very helpful.

freeport, thank you so much for replying.

A lot of Christians have submitted themselves to bondage of condemnation which they had escaped from and get lost in "doing" one thing or another which God actually never asked them to do.

What exactly do you mean by this? I think this may be part of my problem.

I just am not even sure anymore what God has really asked me to do. When I started college, I had no clue what to take. So I asked God, and he "told me" I don't really know if HE told me or if I "told myself". Anyway, I think if I didn't think that is what God wanted me to do I wouldn't be doing it. I'm just so confused.

Also, another thing is the way I dress. I feel like God has "told me" how to dress. But I just don't know. I just want to dress the way I want to.

So as you can see these are not major things(like lying or stealing or whatever) so I don't understand why I feel like I'm being told to do something. I don't know. :(

Thank you so much for replying though.

Bridgit, thank you so much for replying. I think you are very wise and have a lot of good advice. Thank you so much. :wave:

childofGod31, thank you so much for replying. Your post has really given me something to think about. I'm so happy that you are enjoying your walk with God. God bless you.

Upvote 0

Meeker

Just A Girl
Jan 10, 2008
Florida
✟7,846.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I think in the beginning, perhaps because we think too much, we worry about this. I think perhaps a lot of people go through it. God is Love. Just, pause and consider that, i nthe best way you can fathom it now, or feel it. Love is sacrifice, isn't it? It's giving yourself away, because it is unselfish. Completely. You are giving yourself away when you Love. Always always giving.

But think about what God does for people. Doesn't he give Him self away too? All God does is help us. Nothing God does is selfish. Everything he asks of us is good. If you just lived for yourself your whole life, what good does that do anyone else?

Really, it's all about love. Love keeps giving itself away. Alll the time. It's the most unselfish thing to do. God wants us to be like Him, like Jesus. Unselfish.

God also has a plan for your life, no matter how small or big or visible or invisible it is right now. No, God isn't going to tell you what to eat in the morning, or what to wear, but He wants you to fulfill this plan for your life, which is His will. There's a bigger picture =) The best thing to do is talk to God about this. Ask Him to help you understand, and to help your heart too.

Also, consider this: Whatever plan God has for you, it is going ot have a lasting effect, and will not be in vain. But the plans we make for ourselves, who knows how they will end up when we pass away?

Upvote 0

Meeker

Just A Girl
Jan 10, 2008
Florida
✟7,846.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
A, I believe what freeport may have meant was many have the wish and spirit to want to do God's will, but they never considered to ask Him what it was. They simple chose sometthing and thought it was what God wanted them to do, but wasn't. It's good to ask the Lord what he really wants you to do, to guide you to it, and also to ask Him to confirm that is what he wants you to do.

Upvote 0

Jeffz

one man free
Sep 3, 2009
Union Grove, WI, USA
✟8,183.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is our purpose in life, to know God and the one He Sent, Christ Jesus, through the work of the Holy Spirit we can actually know God, not just know about Him. One to One Christ In me the Hope of Glory, We become one with God through the redemtion the Christ has provided. He has paid the price of our sin, taken on our sin on the cross, died on the cross for you and me and all mankind, Oh my friend there is nothing in life more important than being born from above, for without it we can't even see the kingdom of God much less enter it. When God puts His seed inside of us through faith, He does the changing of our hearts. That is why we are not satisfied with what the world offers any longer, sometimes this doesn't happen all at once but it is imparted to us a portion at a time. from Glory to Glory, from faith to faith. It doesn't come from our efforts, but from the work of the Holy Spirit changing us from the inside out. So stay steadfast and keep pursuing God, and let him ravish you in His love. He is out to captivate your heart, soul, and mind in His love.

one man set free,
jeffrey

Upvote 0

emperormar

Hep Cat Daddio!
Aug 3, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
✟8,057.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just am not even sure anymore what God has really asked me to do. When I started college, I had no clue what to take. So I asked God, and he "told me" I don't really know if HE told me or if I "told myself". Anyway, I think if I didn't think that is what God wanted me to do I wouldn't be doing it. I'm just so confused.

Also, another thing is the way I dress. I feel like God has "told me" how to dress. But I just don't know. I just want to dress the way I want to.
The key to following God is to look into what His word already tells you to do. Many people think that God has a specific plan for them to follow, He does but what God wants you to focus is to obey His word being motivated by love to do so.

This mindset of looking for a specific plan in your life by God causes you to pay little to no attention to what God has already told us to do in His word. What God really wants us to do (and the most important things) are already laid out in His word. We look for specific targeted people to minister to when God told us to "preach the gospel to all creation" (Mark 16:15). We need to do what God already told us. If we don't how can we expect a special plan from God to be revealed to us if we aren't even faithful in doing the things He told us to do already?
Basically this is what the disciples and 1st century church did they preached the gospel and made disciples.

Pay close attention, this is what Jesus, who is God Himself, told His disciples to do.
make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.
This is how Christ started the church and was His only plan for it meaning this, no matter what, we should do. If you look at the tense of the verb in Greek for "Make disciples" it means basically means 'start doing this now and and continue to do it'
Notice Jesus wanted His disciples and all the ones coming after them to be taught to obey everything He has commanded.
That is your goal to obey everything God has commanded and teach others to do likewise and to do it motivated by love for God and love for others. These are the eternal things. Obey God and He will lead you into your earthly life choices dont' worry about those just do what God already says.
Know God, and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind; for the LORD searches all hearts, and understands every intent of the thoughts - 1 Chronicles 28:9
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil. (Proverbs 3:5-7)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ghs1994

Jul 1, 2005
Ohio
✟16,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God created us for His glory, honor and pleasure.

I'm curious, what to you mean we can't do anything we want to do? Do you think you are doing what God doesn't want you to do?

There are a lot of Christians out there doing God's work because they feel it is the right thing to do. They don't understand the relationship aspect. They don't understand the Spirit of God because they don't study the Bible. The Spirit of God works thru the knowledge and wisdom contained in the Word. If they knew the Bible, they would know why things are the way they are and they would know how to handle it and not get confused, discouraged, anxious, etc.

My advice would be to study the Bible and let the Spirit of God work in that knowledge. We are not bound by the law of the letter (unless you are unsaved), but by the law of the Spirit. He speaks thru the Bible, but if you don't know the Bible, how can you know what God wants.

Check out: 1 Cor. 2:10-15. See if that helps.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟97,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Condemnation is not from God. Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of churches that are pretty negative and guilt inducing. That is a very wrong focus.

God gave us brains, creativity, imagination, the ability to learn and choose. he is not at all interested in dictating every aspect of our lives - what to wear, where to go, who to have as friends etc. That's largely up to us.

Self denial is not living some narrow, dull life. Rather, we give up on our small ideas about life and discover how to embrace the 'much better'. This is not an empty 'spiritual' thing (pray, bible study) either, but learning to live in God's world the way God wants us to. That's what God's kingdom is all about - bringing the life of God into all that we do in all the various activities of life.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

MLEN

Aug 4, 2009
✟8,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When we are not totally surrendered to God, we may feel like we want to do our own thing at times and that God's ways are too restrictive (BTDT). But once we seek God's perfect will for our lives and walk in it, our outlook is different and we can't imagine doing anything else but his will. Keep walking with him by faith. Ask him to show you his perfect will and to give you the desire/strength to do it. He will lead you as you follow.

On the issue of dress. I remember at one point God clearly giving me a specific command about something I used to wear. I did not want to give it up, but I did (while sulking). Soon after, the whole matter became clearer when he revealed to me that it was not appropriate because it would encourage the desires of on lookers in the wrong way. It drew men to me (for all the wrong reasons), not to Christ.

Many Blessings.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Aaliyah. The point? God made us in His image, we are the only beings in this world who can think, and reason out things. God made us GOOD, and we were, (Adam and Eve, our proto-type) until Temptation became our downfall. Adam and Eve believed a lying tempter, rather than a loving God. They were banned to Earth, and all who came after strayed farther and farther away from God. In time Jesus came, and He showed us God as He really is, a loving Heavenly Father, who wants us back again. We live in an imperfect world, where temptation surrounds us day and night. Jesus told us to Repent, to exchange our selfish and wilful nature into loving God with with all our hearts, all our souls, and all our minds. That makes sense, does`nt it? Without God, we would not be, we owe Him so very much. We also have to learn to love our neighbour, i.e. all others, friend or foe, AS we love ourselves. That is how God wants us to become, and it is not easy. Here is what is on our side, what will help us to learn to become what we are made for. Jesus paid the price which we were unable to pay, His Blood washed us clean, and He reconciled us to God. Jesus is waiting to help and guide us, He is the Way back to our Father in Heaven, and we have God who will forgive us every time we fail or stumble, IF we ask sincerely and forgive others, as God has forgiven us. That is more than " a point," Aaliyah, that it the most wonderful Miracle. I say this humbly and with love. Greetings from Emmy, sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Read Luke 22:42, I remind myself of this when I sometime feel like im "missing out" by turning from sin.

even Jesus said "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."

Our will as humans are different from God's will, all we can do is pray that His will be done, for it is not our own that is ALWAYS best for us. More importantly, realize (and I need to do this too sometimes) that we are not our own, but belong to him, as a child does to a father.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Straybullet

May 16, 2008
✟7,639.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
It may seem that God is restricting you, but I agree with some of the posts here that he is not. Ok, he did hand us some rules to live by, but do not get caught up in small things in life. You want to go to univ to be a lawyer, go for it. Not all lawyers are shysters. Or what ever you want to do with your life. Just aks yourself, Am I hurting anyone, am I hurting myself and would God approve? If you can answer these questions you should be ok. Remember, we are all human

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.