Matthew 4:4
Sep 14, 2015
✟91,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wordkeeper said in post #56:

Again, in summation, salvation is contingent upon fruit.

That's right, with regard to ultimate salvation.

For John 15:2a shows that Christians, who are branches in the vine of Jesus Christ, can wrongly employ their free will in such a way they fail to produce good fruit, so that ultimately they're taken away from Jesus (John 15:2a), cut off from Him for their unrepentant laziness, to the ultimate loss of their salvation (Matthew 25:26,30).

Christians can also be ultimately cut off from Jesus, cast away, and burned; they can ultimately lose their salvation, for not continuing to abide in Jesus (John 15:6), in the sense of committing apostasy (Hebrews 6:4-8; 1 Timothy 4:1; 2 Timothy 2:12b) or unrepentant sin (Hebrews 10:26-29, Luke 12:45-46; 1 Corinthians 9:27).

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One must believe Christ's words before they can repent....."the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life." People believed Jesus existed but did not believe the words He said.
Works salvationists believe Jesus existed, but do not believe the words He said and instead twist His words, which does not result in repent and believe the gospel.

One's unbelief is demonstrated/proven by them NOT DOING what Christ said one must do to be saved in repenting, confession and submitting to baptism.
Jesus told us what to do to be saved in John 3:15,16,18; 6:40,47; 11:25,26. Repent (Luke 13:3) precedes saving belief and confession is an expression of faith and the mark of a genuine believer (Matthew 10:32-33), not a work for salvation. Believers receive water baptism BECAUSE they are saved and not in order to become saved (Acts 10:43-47).

The kind of belief in the NT that saves is always the same belief which includes repentance confession and baptism. You have consistenly failed to provide a logical, biblical reason as to why water baptism is not essential to being saved.
The kind of belief in the NT that saves is belief that trusts exclusively in Jesus Christ alone for salvation. Trusting in works for salvation = unbelief. I have provided numerous Biblical reasons as to why water baptism is not absolutely necessary for salvation on Christian Chat to you in the past, but the truth continues to go right over your head. Your 4 step plan of salvation is the result of bad semantics and flawed hermeneutics.

You posted
Many people (including myself) have refuted your watered down gospel and have defended the truth that salvation is by grace through faith, not works,

This proves my point in your inability to provide a logical, biblical reason against the necessity of water baptism in being saved.
I have already provided a Biblical reason why numerous times on Christian Chat and continue to do so. - "EIS" OR "DIA" OR "HOTI" ?? - Page 6 - Christian Chat Rooms & Forums

In Ephesians 2:8-10 the phrase "not of works" refers to works of merit one does to earn salvation whereby he could boast of those works. The faith onlylist creates a whole host of logical biblically contradictions by trying to claim "not of works" eliminates ALL works from being saved.
Works salvationists try to "get around" Ephesians 2:8,9 by teaching that works are limited to merely certain works (saved by these works and just not those works), yet Paul goes not to say in Titus 3:5 - "not by works of righteousness which we have done" and in 2 Timothy 1:9, Paul said "not according to our works," so good works in general are covered.

--Faith/believing is a work, so not of works cannot eliminate the work of faith.
Faith is not just another work in a series of works in a quest to receive salvation by works. Believing is not a work that merits salvation. Through believing, we are completely trusting in "Another's work," (Christ's finished work of redemption). Repenting is not a work that merits salvation either. We must first repent "change our mind" before we can believe (trust in Christ's finished work of redemption) to save us. Through repentance/faith, Christ is still the object of our complete trust in receiving salvation. Baptism is a work which follows faith and if it's necessary for salvation, that would add merit on our part to our salvation because now we are saved through Christ's finished work plus our baptism.

--Paul would contradict himself where twice just in this one chapter he put obedient works BEFORE salvation
Paul does not contradict himself by putting obedience works before salvation. You have misinterpreted Paul.

--it contradicts all the verse where Christ said men are to 'DO' to be saved Luke 6:46; Matthew 7:21-26; John 3:21; John 6:27; John 9:31; Luke 13:24; etc
There is nothing in any of these verses that teach DO works to be saved, but those who are saved DO works. You are putting the cart before the horse. The natural man does not understand - 1 Corinthians 2:14.

Matthew 7:21 - Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.

John 6:40 - For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in Him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.

These many people (unbelievers) in Matthew 7:22 had the wrong foundation. They were trusting in their works to save them and NOT IN CHRIST ALONE. Jesus NEVER knew them which means they were NEVER saved. Their hearts were not right with God, so their attempted external obedience was stained with sin. *Seeking salvation by works is not the will of the Father.

John 17:3 - And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. The term "know" implies intimate, experiential knowledge, through a relationship with Him, not merely theoretical knowledge. These many people were not true converts.

Without faith it's impossible to please God no matter how many alleged wonderful works that these many people set out to conjure up through the flesh. This is why Jesus referred to them as WORKERS OF INIQUITY/LAWLESSNESS! They were self righteous. Sound familiar?

As we read on in Matthew 7:24-27, we find two different foundations with two different results, and not salvation by works, as some would suppose. Each house has a different material upon which its foundation is laid, and each house has a different final outcome. One house is built by a wise man upon a rock and it stands. The other is built by a foolish man upon the sand and it collapses.

Those deceived by their own self-righteousness in Matthew 7:22-23 were "outwardly" doing all the things that the righteous would do yet they did not truly know Christ (had no personal relationship with Christ) which stemmed from not truly believing in Him. The rock the wise man builds upon is true righteousness found in Jesus Christ alone. The sand the foolish man builds upon is self-righteousness.

*Only those who truly believe in Him are wise and hear the words of Jesus and properly act on them. *The foolish man twists the words of Jesus and acts on their own self-righteous works system and calls that acting on the words of Jesus.

In regards to "strive" to enter through the narrow gate, this signifies a great struggle against conflict. Christ was not suggesting that anyone could merit heaven by striving hard enough to receive salvation based on the merit of their own works. No matter how rigorously people labor, we could never save ourselves by works. Entering through the narrow gate is nonetheless difficult because of it's cost in terms of human pride and because of the sinner's love for sin which prevents them from coming to FAITH. It's a struggle and an endeavor for unbelievers let go of their pride and their works and take hold of Christ by FAITH.

--the arguments against obedient works in doing God's will is based upon the faulty idea that if one does any work he is trying to earn salvation. Ye this false notion rejects the every day fact free gifts (as salvation) comes with conditions and meeting the conditions do not/cannot earn the free gift that has already been offered.
This is nothing but sugar coated double talk. Free gifts don't come with conditions other than accept the free gift or reject it. You are trying to earn your salvation based on works so you have rejected it. There is a difference between doing God's will in order to receive the gift of eternal life (John 6:40) and doing God's will after we have received the gift of eternal life (1 Thessalonians 5:14-18).

One must obey the gospel to be saved (2 Thessalonians 1:8) and the gospel is the death burial and resurrection of Christ (1 Cor 15:1-4) and water baptism is a form of the gospel's death burial and resurrection (Romans 6) therefore is HOW one obeys the gospel.
One must obey the gospel to be saved (2 Thessalonians 1:8) and we obey the gospel by choosing to believe the gospel (Romans 10:16; 1:16). Water baptism is a picture of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ and we get water baptized AFTER we believe the gospel and become saved (Acts 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:8,9; Ephesians 1:13). Your perverted Campbellism gospel is a "different" gospel.

Faith only is NOT that form of doctrine where one obeys the gospel in dying, being buried and resurrected for faith only is dead, it's nothing.
Faith only (per James) is an empty profession of faith (James 2:14) that merely claims to be genuine but demonstrates by the lack of producing any works that it's dead. That is not genuine faith, but a bare profession of faith. Dead faith cannot save and faith in works cannot save. Only faith (rightly understood) in Christ alone saves (Ephesians 2:8,9). "Obeying the gospel" and "obeying that form of doctrine" in these passages is really a synonym for BELIEVING the gospel. Being slaves of sin is put in the past tense. Paul goes on in Romans 6:18 - "You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness."

Notice in Romans 10:10 - For with the heart one believes unto righteousness..

Notice in Romans 4:5 - But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith (not works) is accounted for righteousness.

It's painfully obvious that you are still deeply indoctrinated into Campbellism (same old Seabass) and you still simply REFUSE to REPENT and BELIEVE the gospel. This has been an interesting trip back down memory lane with you, but I have better things to do than continue to waste my time beating a dead horse. As always, I will continue to pray for you. :praying:

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wrong, “justified” means “found righteous”.

James 2:21

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, in that he offered up Isaac his son upon the altar?

James 2:21 V-AIP-3S

GRK: ἐξ ἔργων ἐδικαιώθη ἀνενέγκας Ἰσαὰκ

NAS: our father justified by works

KJV: our father justified by works,

INT: by works was justified having offered Isaac

dikaioó: to show to be righteous, declare righteous

Original Word: δικαιόω

Part of Speech: Verb

Transliteration: dikaioó

Phonetic Spelling: (dik-ah-yo'-o)

Short Definition: I make righteous, defend the cause of, justify

Definition: I make righteous, defend the cause of, plead for the righteousness (innocence) of, acquit, justify; hence: I regard as righteous.
Actually, you are wrong and I already explained the truth to you in post #48 *using Scripture and properly harmonizing Scripture with Scripture,* but unfortunately, I can clearly see that the truth just went right over your head. :(

You seem to believe that man is saved by works and that salvation is also maintained by works (salvation based on the merits of man's performance) which also explains why you believe that salvation can be lost :rolleyes: which is a whole different thread. I can see that you are thoroughly indoctrinated into your "self righteous works system" and need to repent and believe the gospel.

*The gospel is HID to those who DON'T BELIEVE (2 Corinthians 4:3,4).

I can also see that you are just as mixed up as Seabass, so continuing to argue with you will just be a waste of time. I can't show a blind man anything (only the Lord can open your eyes to the truth) but I will certainly continue to pray for you. :praying:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, you are wrong and I already explained the truth to you in post #48 *using Scripture and properly harmonizing Scripture with Scripture,* but unfortunately, I can clearly see that the truth just went right over your head. :(

You seem to believe that man is saved by works and that salvation is also maintained by works (salvation based on the merits of man's performance) which also explains why you believe that salvation can be lost :rolleyes: which is a whole different thread. I can see that you are thoroughly indoctrinated into your "self righteous works system" and need to repent and believe the gospel.

*The gospel is HID to those who DON'T BELIEVE (2 Corinthians 4:3,4).

I can also see that you are just as mixed up as Seabass, so continuing to argue with you will just be a waste of time. I can't show a blind man anything (only the Lord can open your eyes to the truth) but I will certainly continue to pray for you. :praying:

And I refuted your post #48 point by point. You can't just say each and every one of my points is wrong: you have to prove it, through Scripture.

As prescribed by Scripture:

Jeremiah 23:28, 29
28“The prophet who has a dream may relate his dream, but let him who has My word speak My word in truth. What does straw havein common with grain?” declares the LORD. 29“Is not My word like fire?” declares the LORD, “and like a hammer which shatters a rock?

1 Corinthians 3:12-15
12Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13each man’s work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to berevealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work. 14If any man’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. 15If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

Bible2+

Sep 14, 2015
✟91,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Danthemailman said in post #62:

Through repentance/faith, Christ is still the object of our complete trust in receiving salvation.

Amen.

For only Jesus Christ can save people (John 14:6, John 3:36) by His sacrifice on the Cross for our sins (Romans 3:25) and the ability He gives Christians to continue in the faith (Hebrews 12:2), to continue to do good works (John 15:5), to continue to repent from any sin they commit (John 8:34-36), and to overcome to the end (Revelation 12:11), by their own choice. All NOSAS does is admit there's no assurance every Christian will choose to do these things to the end.

Baptism is a work which follows faith and if it's necessary for salvation, that would add merit on our part to our salvation because now we are saved through Christ's finished work plus our baptism.

That's right, with regard to ultimate salvation. For:

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved . . .

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Bible2+

Sep 14, 2015
✟91,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Paul does not contradict himself by putting obedience works before salvation.

That's right, with regard to initial salvation (Ephesians 2:8), but not with regard to ultimate salvation. For:

Romans 2:6 [God] will render to every man according to his deeds:
7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life . . .

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Bible2+

Sep 14, 2015
✟91,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

One house is built by a wise man upon a rock and it stands.

Note that the house is only built on the rock if the man is obedient. For:

Matthew 7:24 . . . whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock . . .

And nothing requires all saved people will be obedient. For Jesus will ultimately say to some of His servants, that is, to some saved people:

Matthew 25:26 . . . Thou wicked and slothful servant . . .

Matthew 25:30 . . . cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

--

Also, Matthew 7:24-27 includes the meaning that Christians, no matter what their rapture-timing view, need to be obedient to God now if they want to spiritually endure to the end during the future Tribulation of Revelation chapters 6 to 18 and Matthew 24 (Matthew 24:13). For only obedient Christians will have their spiritual houses on the rock, as it were, so they will endure the coming storm (Matthew 7:24-25). Disobedient Christians will have their spiritual houses on the sand, so they will fall away during the storm (Matthew 7:26-27). They will become part of the falling away, the apostasy (2 Thessalonians 2:3), the departure from the faith (1 Timothy 4:1), which will occur during the future Tribulation (Matthew 24:9-13, cf. Isaiah 8:21-22), to the ultimate loss of their salvation (Hebrews 6:4-8, John 15:6; 2 Timothy 2:12b).

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Bible2+

Sep 14, 2015
✟91,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Free gifts don't come with conditions other than accept the free gift or reject it.

Note that Romans 6:23 doesn't require once-saved-always-saved, for a free gift can be taken away. For example, imagine a father gives his young son a puppy as a free gift (cf. Romans 6:23) but warns him he has to remember to feed and water the puppy every day (cf. Luke 9:23) or it will die (cf. James 2:26). The son says no problem and takes good care of the puppy for a couple of weeks, but then gets so distracted playing video games he forgets to feed or water the puppy for three days and it dies. The father then takes the dead puppy away from the son and buries it in the back yard (cf. John 15:2a,6). Does this mean the puppy wasn't a free gift?

• Prayers
Upvote 0