What is the financial transparency of YWAM?

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I am the treasurer of my church and if anyone came to me and asked if our finances were transparent, I would tell them to mind their own business and to get on their bike and take off.

Upvote 0

TheNorwegian

Aug 17, 2015
Norway
✟89,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every worker in YWAM raises his/her own support. This goes directly to the worker/missionary and not through the organization. Many (most?) YWAM workers are sent out as missionaries form their local church. The financial support for those missionaries will then not show up in YWAM financial reports, but in the reports of each individual sending church. In other words: YWAM does not take financial responsibility for their workers, but "only" responsibility for their training, their conduct in the mission field, etc.

I believe YWAM is a very successful organization. I have had the pleasure to visit many YWAM bases and missionaries in several countries, and they are doing a great job. That is not to say that I agree with everything they do or that everyone who work with YWAM is fantastic - but they are a blessing

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am the treasurer of my church and if anyone came to me and asked if our finances were transparent, I would tell them to mind their own business and to get on their bike and take off.

Oscarr it sounds like you really do not trust god at all.

I was giving Yawm the benefit of the doubt in this thread --- follow the link in OP or one after it. But, from the way you have conducted yourself here, I have no doubt now about your sect being an abusive church at the very least and its behavior by your own example is cultic.

Charity Navigator - Your Search Results

I am guessing the 47 YWAM listed at charity navigator should be trusted as much as Judas should be trusted.

"
4. Secrecy. Most importantly, cults try to keep everything that goes on inside their walls a secret, often closing themselves off from the outside world. A cult will tell its members, “What goes inside our doors is none of anyone’s business, so don’t talk about it with non-members.” Run from that church. Secrecy hurts. Secrecy kills. That’s how physical and sexual abusers operate as well.

There are no “secrets” in true Christian churches. They are transparent and open. Instead of believing they are under threat from people outside the church, a true church engages the community, confident — not in their ability to hide in self-protection — but rather in the promise of Jesus, “I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it” (Matthew 16:18)."On churches, transparency and cults

toxic church http://thomrainer.com/2014/10/fourteen-symptoms-toxic-church-leaders/

Google YWAM abuse About 210,000 results (0.90 seconds)
Google

Cults and Psychological Abuse: A Resource Guide - Page 48

Cults and Psychological Abuse
1998 - ‎Snippet view
CSJ, 3(1), 36-56 Jacobson, L. (1986). My experience in YWAM: A personal account and critique of cultic manipulation. CSJ, 3(2), 204-233 McClung, Jr. F. (1988). Authority: Its use and abuse - A Christian perspective. CSJ, 5(1), 237-245 Long, ...
Cultic Studies Journal - Volume 5 - Page 237

Cultic Studies Journal
1988 - ‎Snippet view - ‎More editions
Abuse. -. A. Christian. Perspective. Floyd McClung, Jr. Executive Director, International Operations Youth With A Mission ... in YWAM: A personal Account and Critique of Cultic Manipulation," by Laurie Jacobson (CSJ, Vol. 3, No. 2, 1986, pp.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Every worker in YWAM raises his/her own support. This goes directly to the worker/missionary and not through the organization. Many (most?) YWAM workers are sent out as missionaries form their local church. The financial support for those missionaries will then not show up in YWAM financial reports, but in the reports of each individual sending church. In other words: YWAM does not take financial responsibility for their workers, but "only" responsibility for their training, their conduct in the mission field, etc.

I believe YWAM is a very successful organization. I have had the pleasure to visit many YWAM bases and missionaries in several countries, and they are doing a great job. That is not to say that I agree with everything they do or that everyone who work with YWAM is fantastic - but they are a blessing

Thank You for your kind response. Unfortunately, I have had the problem of counseling a lot of people leaving YWAM for spiritual abuse.

From all I have seen behind the curtains of YWAM dog and pony shows there is a ton of abuse going on there. I really do not think Jesus would be happy with them.

Matthew 18:6 “But whoever causes the downfall of one of these little ones who believe in Me—it would be better for him if a heavy millstone were hung around his neck and he were drowned in the depths of the sea!

Frankly, I was hopping this sect had gowned up and stop the psychological abusive behavior. But, from Oscur's behavior here. I have no doubt this is a group that needs to become transparent in order to expose and shut down abusive in its ranks.

When I was young, I visited the camps of many cults like Children of God, The Way, Moon, etc., and they all put on great shows too.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

I agree. I was a member of a Charismatic church in Palmerston North, NZ from 1973 to 1979. I had close association with YWAM through one of the senior leaders, Ken Wright. I actually went on a three week outreach trip to Wellington with YWAM under his leadership. I am also good friends with Ross Tooley, an evangelist and missionary with YWAM. Through these men I learned much of the inner working of it. I know that Ken and Ross would never have countenanced spiritual abuse or dodgy finances and would have put a stop to such practices right away. I know that every YWAM worker had to raise his own finances to provide travel costs and accommodation support while on missionary trips. Offerings to YWAM were used to support indigenous pastors in the countries where YWAM workers went. Local ministry (In New Zealand at least) involved workers going around neighborhoods offering to do gardening and other physical house work for elderly or disabled people, and this opened the way to share the gospel. I know of a couple who had to move house and could not afford a moving company, and they had only a short time to get the moving done. A whole team of YWAM workers arrived at their house with vehicles, and moved their whole house to their new home in a matter of hours. They would not accept any money for it because they told the couple that this is what they did in serving the Lord. I think that would have been one of the most powerful testimonies in support of the gospel that I know.

It is one thing to criticise an organisation when one has had nothing much to do with it. But those within the organisation might be too loving to tell such a person to stick their criticisms where the sun don't shine, but I am different. I think that it is more loving of Christ and His faithful workers to tell criticising religious hypocrites to stick their comments right up their acres!

Upvote 0