What is the difference between Conservative and Fundamentalist?

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
It is basically the same thing. Have a nice day.

No they are not. Have you never read the book for yourself? The book was written in the 1980s. The show is based on the book, sure, but was updated quite a bit for modern audiences. It's got a different tone to it. My sister was assigned the book the year before last. At her Christian school. Her teacher specifically told them to not think the show could stand in place of the book on account of the differences. She made her tests reflect those differences so students couldn't take shortcuts.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟745,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No they are not. Have you never read the book for yourself? The book was written in the 1980s. The show is based on the book, sure, but was updated quite a bit for modern audiences. It's got a different tone to it. My sister was assigned the book the year before last. At her Christian school. Her teacher specifically told them to not think the show could stand in place of the book on account of the differences. She made her tests reflect those differences so students couldn't take shortcuts.
I read the book in the 1980s as I had posted earlier & saw the miserable movie in 1990 or 91.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,512.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I read The Handmaid's Tale for year 12 English and thought it was brilliant. Not for a second did I think it was anti-Christian, but a very well-thought-through critique of where Christianity can go bad. (And as someone who was born under apartheid, and was aware of how Christian tropes were used to justify apartheid, that isn't even an a particularly controversial thought).

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟745,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Can you provide a source for this quote? I would like to look it up but I can't seem to find in my search engine.

I came across that quite some time ago and I can't locate a source either. I suspect I found it quoted in an essay by John Spong.

Upvote 0

HardHead

Supporter
Sep 8, 2019
GTA
✟84,378.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I came across that quite some time ago and I can't locate a source either. I suspect I found it quoted in an essay by John Spong.

Thanks for the reply.

Spong is tricky with him being a high-ranking presbyter vs. what he writes. I read one of his books a few years ago, and it seemed to be almost anti-christian in its theology to a large degree. His sayings about the nature of the resurrection are not easy to fathom relative to being christian, at least not to me. This is a topic for another thread though. :)

Upvote 0