What is the difference between Conservative and Fundamentalist?

mothcorrupteth

Old Whig Monarchist, Classically Realpolitik
Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
?? I must be missing something because what I copied for us here is essentially what all the authoritative Fundamentalist statements have said in outlining the meaning of the movement.

Note, for example, that there is no mention of a literal interpretation of Scripture, evolution, and other doctrinal issues that you identified in your post.
The Fundamentals - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟745,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think the word “fundamentalist” was hijacked by secularists & added to those who adhere to being Bible believing Christians (usually Baptists). It seems prejudicial in its tone in implying a “simplistic” faith rather than a simple faith.

The key is the concept of a simple (or fundamental) Christian faith whether it is Orthodox, Catholic, or Protestant.

“Conservative” seems like it should be a secular term. I do not understand how being a “fiscal conservative” ( for ex.) applies to Christian faith ( although a Christian can often agree with it but in a secular sense).

Even in cultural issues, our values that appear “conservative” should be faith based. For ex.a Christian (Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant) of fundamental faith should be pro life. We should believe in the 10 commandments, love of God & neighbor etc.

Those who call themselves “liberal” Christians seem to embrace the fads of the world (redefining marriage, gender, pro choice etc.). Pondering nonsense like “what kind of car would Jesus drive?” etc.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Those who call themselves “liberal” Christians seem to embrace the fads of the world (redefining marriage, gender, pro choice etc.). Pondering nonsense like “what kind of car would Jesus drive?” etc.

I am a liberal or progressive Christian and it is obvious to me that Jesus would drive a Honda. ;)

Levity aside, in my experience the difference between conservatives and fundamentalists seems to be mostly one of attitude. Somewhat like your last paragraph in your post above.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The key is the concept of a simple (or fundamental) Christian faith whether it is Orthodox, Catholic, or Protestant.
Not simple exactly, but basic. Fundamentalism derives from an effort to unite, across denominational lines, all those who would agree on at least the fundamentals of the Christian religion, which was seen as under attack from the forces of secularism.

“Conservative” seems like it should be a secular term. I do not understand how being a “fiscal conservative” ( for ex.) applies to Christian faith ( although a Christian can often agree with it but in a secular sense).
To be sure, Conservatism is less about fiscal responsibility than the preservation of traditional values. However, "Traditionalist" sounds a bit stuffy, can easily be misunderstood, and "Conservative" is already a familiar word...so it seems to have won out.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Jimmy Carter wrote “Fundamentalism, means the thinker is absolutely sure he is right ... you don't want to learn new facts, because they might disturb your previous opinions. You become convinced that your truths have come from God and anyone who disagrees with you is wrong, and the next step is that they're inferior, and the ultimate case is they are subhuman. That leads to a lot of the persecution in the world.”

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Jimmy Carter wrote “Fundamentalism, means the thinker is absolutely sure he is right ... you don't want to learn new facts, because they might disturb your previous opinions. You become convinced that your truths have come from God and anyone who disagrees with you is wrong, and the next step is that they're inferior, and the ultimate case is they are subhuman. That leads to a lot of the persecution in the world.”

That sounds about right to me.

I grew up in a conservative Baptist family. For a while I went to a fundamentalist Baptist school, mainly on account of convenience since we were in a rural area & that school just happened to be the closest one by a long shot. The fundamentalist school taught that the Bible as you read it in modern English vernacular is inerrant & absolutely literal. Nothing is allegorical to them. In my own experience conservatives are more traditional in values & beliefs but are more receptive to differing interpretations. More receptive to learning about the Earth God created by honestly studying it. I don't think conservatives believe the Earth is flat, for example, but some fundamentalists do (at least they proclaim to on here).

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟745,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am a liberal or progressive Christian and it is obvious to me that Jesus would drive a Honda. ;)

Levity aside, in my experience the difference between conservatives and fundamentalists seems to be mostly one of attitude. Somewhat like your last paragraph in your post above.

Well my attitude is to try to avoid secular politics with my faith. I vote, as best I can, for candidates whose social policies try to perpetuate husband & wife marriage, the 10 commandments, male & female gender etc. ( Genesis 1:26-27, Mark 10:5-9, Deuteronomy 5, Deuteronomy 6, Matthew 19:16-19 etc. ). I am aware of the dangers of judging others ( Matthew 7:1-12, Romans 2 etc.).

I am suspicious of “liberal” Christianity just as many “liberal” Christians who perpetuate hysteria like this: Every Christian Needs To Watch 'The Handmaid’s Tale'.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am suspicious of “liberal” Christianity just as many “liberal” Christians who perpetuate hysteria like this: Every Christian Needs To Watch 'The Handmaid’s Tale'.

I just read the opinion piece in your post above. I saw no hysteria in it, just a rather thoughtful analysis of the TV show based on Margaret Atwood's great novel. Mankind from time to time has experimented with organizing society as a theocracy. They have all failed in one way or another but none ended well. We need to learn from our past. As a liberal Christian I abhor hysteria and misrepresentation.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟745,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I just read the opinion piece in your post above. I saw no hysteria in it, just a rather thoughtful analysis of the TV show based on Margaret Atwood's great novel. Mankind from time to time has experimented with organizing society as a theocracy. They have all failed in one way or another but none ended well. We need to learn from our past. As a liberal Christian I abhor hysteria and misrepresentation.

It is a novel that creates a false phantom that gulls people into thinking they must always be vigilant of.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Well my attitude is to try to avoid secular politics with my faith. I vote, as best I can, for candidates whose social policies try to perpetuate husband & wife marriage, the 10 commandments, male & female gender etc. ( Genesis 1:26-27, Mark 10:5-9, Deuteronomy 5, Deuteronomy 6, Matthew 19:16-19 etc. ). I am aware of the dangers of judging others ( Matthew 7:1-12, Romans 2 etc.).

I quit watching that show just on account of it not being my cup of tea but that book has long been required reading in HS, including at fundamentalist & conservative Christian schools, homeschooling programs.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟745,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I quit watching that show just on account of it not being my cup of tea but that book has long been required reading in HS, including at fundamentalist & conservative Christian schools, homeschooling programs.

I would think it is required reading on the basis that this book scapegoats them and that they are being “wise as serpents...” (Matthew 10:16)?

I remember reading this book when I was young back in the 1980s and believing it as a possibility ( how pathetic of me). Nothing like this ever happened or was intended to but it keeps being recycled and, unfortunately, many people buy into it.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I would think it is required reading on the basis that this book scapegoats them and that they are being “wise as serpents...” (Matthew 10:16)?

I remember reading this book when I was young back in the 1980s and believing it as a possibility ( how pathetic of me). Nothing like this ever happened or was intended to but it keeps being recycled and, unfortunately, many people buy into it.

Nope.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
“Nope” & on semi hiatus well guess that’s all folks on this one.

Most folks have got things going on in their lives that take priority over an internet forum. You're not entitled to any response, much less one within a 48 hour turnaround during the middle of the work week.

Why is it that you think the book is routinely assigned to students at schools of all stripes - public, private, parochial, even homeschooling, in liberal areas, conservative ones? Not just in the US but in many countries around the world. It's been translated into numerous languages. It's one of the most commonly assigned books at the HS level. Do you think it's assigned to everybody on account of that verse? If not, then why would you assume that it's on account of that verse that it's assigned to Christians?

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟745,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Most folks have got things going on in their lives that take priority over an internet forum. You're not entitled to any response, much less one within a 48 hour turnaround during the middle of the work week.

Why is it that you think the book is routinely assigned to students at schools of all stripes - public, private, parochial, even homeschooling, in liberal areas, conservative ones? Not just in the US but in many countries around the world. It's been translated into numerous languages. It's one of the most commonly assigned books at the HS level. Do you think it's assigned to everybody on account of that verse? If not, then why would you assume that it's on account of that verse that it's assigned to Christians?

You said that this book is assigned reading in Christian evangelical schools. Since this book is anti Christian propaganda I would think they read it to know who hates them. Groups like Focus on the Family: https://dailycitizen.focusonthefami...e-a-show-that-hates-christianity-and-america/ seem to agree.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
You said that this book is assigned reading in Christian evangelical schools. Since this book is anti Christian propaganda I would think they read it to know who hates them. Groups like Focus on the Family: https://dailycitizen.focusonthefami...e-a-show-that-hates-christianity-and-america/ seem to agree.

Yes I said that on account of it being true. Evangelical schools have absolutely no obligation to follow what some review on the internet says about a book. You can keep having whatever opinion suits you best, but it's a fact that the book is assigned reading at many Christian evangelical schools such as the ones my sibs & I attended.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟745,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes I said that on account of it being true. Evangelical schools have absolutely no obligation to follow what some review on the internet says about a book. You can keep having whatever opinion suits you best, but it's a fact that the book is assigned reading at many Christian evangelical schools such as the ones my sibs & I attended.

Do you think this book is anti Christian?

Upvote 0