What is the correct denomination or faith?

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you follow Christ, you cant go wrong. If you follow man....you have to make sure you are following the right men, with the correct doctrine, in the right churches of the right denomination. So to limit my chances of being wrong....I follow Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How do you determine whether you follow the correct denomination or faith? How can you be sure your denomination is the right one and all the others are wrong and full of lies that have deceived you?

For me it's just if it lines up with the word. LIke I don't go based off denomination....just based off if they go by the apostles doctrine and their teaching lines up with the Word.

If it's not based off the Word then it's yeah wrong. That's why it's important to study.

Upvote 0

MyGivenNameIsKeith

Oct 16, 2017
xcxb xcvb n bv b
✟33,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I thought it inherent in the responses, as some denominations have "pieces missing", as it were. How do you determine the correct fellowship? How would singing Joy to the World with unbelievers not attribute one to be in communion with them?

Upvote 0

MyGivenNameIsKeith

Oct 16, 2017
xcxb xcvb n bv b
✟33,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Galatians 1:6-8 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
2 Corinthians 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

Reactions: ICONO'CLAST
Upvote 0

MyGivenNameIsKeith

Oct 16, 2017
xcxb xcvb n bv b
✟33,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The gospel I have is titled Holy Bible. It states that salvation comes by my belief in Jesus Christ and comes by way of his grace. It does not include the Book of Mormon, which teaches that salvation comes by works, steps, etc.
Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
Titus 3:5-6 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;
Isaiah 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
So, not the same gospel. It is another gospel, as I stated before.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge..
Galatians 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do you determine whether you follow the correct denomination or faith? How can you be sure your denomination is the right one and all the others are wrong and full of lies that have deceived you?

I think first you need to decide whether or not you accept the Nicene creed. After that it’s mainly about differences of opinion and practice, so just find a church that suits you and has the basics right.

Upvote 0

MyGivenNameIsKeith

Oct 16, 2017
xcxb xcvb n bv b
✟33,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think first you need to decide whether or not you accept the Nicene creed. After that it’s mainly about differences of opinion and practice, so just find a church that suits you and has the basics right.
Seeing as believers were first called Christians at Antioch in the middle of the first century. And the First Council of Nicaea met in 325 A.D. and began the construction of the Creed at that point, there are almost 300 years of believers that are conveniently left out for purposes of substantiating your argument for what constitutes a Christian.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seeing as believers were first called Christians at Antioch in the middle of the first century. And the First Council of Nicaea met in 325 A.D. and began the construction of the Creed at that point, there are almost 300 years of believers that are conveniently left out for purposes of substantiating your argument for what constitutes a Christian.

What do you think was left out? In terms of teachings or fundamental beliefs?

Upvote 0

Cat Loaf You

Dec 11, 2017
Warsaw
✟22,505.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Very simple , you read Bible and do what it says .
1 Corinthians 3:16
Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

Matthew 6:6
But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Bible does not say about paying 10% to sit in front row of some building so pastor can have 1M USD income every year , but it says these above .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[Staff edit].

Right - see what you mean. I would say that the creed sums up what was already believed at that point. Certainly it’s consistent with what I have read. Do you think there is more, i.e more that was believed before that point, before it was written down in that format, that might or should have been included? To my mind it serves as a summation of what all Christians of all already diversifying groups held to be universally true, what they all believed or accepted already, before it was written down and agreed on at Nicaea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Ok wait, so are you actually looking for people's personal opinions, or is this one of those times where you "have" the answer and are just waiting for the oppurtune time to unvail it, while proving others posts as invalid?

Because what he said was a perfectly reasonable response.

If it is one of those times, you mide aswell just flat out give "the answer" now.

Upvote 0

MyGivenNameIsKeith

Oct 16, 2017
xcxb xcvb n bv b
✟33,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Right - see what you mean. I would say that the creed sums up what was already believed at that point. Certainly it’s consistent with what I have read. Do you think there is more, i.e more that was believed before that point, before it was written down in that format, that might or should have been included? To my mind it serves as a summation of what all Christians of all already diversifying groups held to be universally true, what they all believed or accepted already, before it was written down and agreed on at Nicaea.
Well, while I agree with most of it, one thing that I don't agree with is concerning the Four Marks of the Church, one of which is "catholic".
As I had posted in an earlier message concerning 2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
There are elements to certain of the divisions concerning Christ that in some context makes them unbelievers who falsely claim his name. "Catholic" in the sense that it is used to describe "universal" or an all-inclusive ideology of pretty much everyone would yoke the two together.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, while I agree with most of it, one thing that I don't agree with is concerning the Four Marks of the Church, one of which is "catholic".
As I had posted in an earlier message concerning 2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
There are elements to certain of the divisions concerning Christ that in some context makes them unbelievers who falsely claim his name. "Catholic" in the sense that it is used to describe "universal" or an all-inclusive ideology of pretty much everyone would yoke the two together.

Catholic or universal within the creed can be taken to mean those people who believe in what is in the creed, i.e that while different, local churches or now different denoms have differing practices, they share a universal identity in believing what is contained in the creed, which attempts to sum up and codify what Christians prior to that meeting had already believed.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[Staff edit].

The tenets of the creed can be checked against the bible, prayed about and reflected on and so on, and in that way a person can decide if they believe them to be valid or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0