• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

What is the appropriate way to explain not using a smartphone to co-workers?

Belonging to Abba

Jesus loves you!!!
Jun 27, 2015
✟38,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I switched back to the flip phone with no Internet for a while because of trouble with sin with the smartphone. I have found that buying an iPhone and then switching back to a flip phone makes you the center of attention at work. Because I work with people who are not all Christians or may have some church experience but not be well grounded in the Gospel, I want to be careful what I share. If my co-workers find out I have a problem with lust, they may think I’m messed up and be less interested in what I would tell them about God and spiritual things.

So, in telling them why I switched back to the flip phone, I may just say that I don’t like smartphones as much as I thought I would when I got the iPhone. I may say that I have the tendency to spend too much time on a device and think if I spend less time on my phone and more time practicing the guitar that I would think I am more productive with my free time.

If they ask what kind of stuff I spend too much time on the smartphone I could just say something innocuous like I had a friend setup content restrictions on my phone but sometimes I can still make unwise content decisions. If I said more and explained that my religion teaches purity and respect for women and that if I look too much at women I may quit using the phone, I think this may be too much, but it may seem like a contrast to the coworker I met when I was first hired that openly shared about lusting after women. I think I should be careful because some of the people that would hear what I say are young ladies.

If I start telling people I made unwise decisions with the smartphone they may think that every time I switch to the flip phone that I did something irresponsible, but I may also have a desire to switch to the flip phone because I may want to just evaluate if I like the flip phone better than a smartphone. I may quit the smartphone for a temporary time and go back to using it again if I have victory for a long enough period of time.

Also I would like it if people don’t quote what I said in replies in case I want to edit out some of the personal information at a later time.

Reactions: zippy2006

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Congratulation's ....most people would not last a minute without their appendage. I think it's great that you took steps to self impose the discipline necessary for your walk.
People may ask why you use a dumb phone, but they really don't need an explanation nor do they really care too much....Just tell them you found yourself wasting to much time on the smart phone...
.Or you could make up something crazy like that the government is monitoring all smart phone activity building a dossier on each person to utilize for Klaus Schwab's experimental data base of control techniques ......................actually, I guess that is not to far off. But if you wore a tin foil hat a couple times a week ....people would give you a wider berth and probably not ask so many questions....

But seriously ....I think it's great ...not too many people could or would do that.

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟62,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure why people seem to feel everyone must carry a smart phone, or any phone for that matter. I rarely carry a phone at all. If asked why (and that rarely happens) I simply say that I'm not a talker and only use the phone when necessary -- such as when it rings and I absolutely have to answer it or to make a doctor's appointment, etc. You don't have to make an excuse. Just say you like the simplicity of the flip phone because it keeps you from wasting time when you could be doing something more profitable.

People shouldn't be nosy enough to ask in the first place. You may find they don't say anything at all.

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I switched back to the flip phone...
Smartphones tend to be a giant time waster, and I think that is a good enough reason to drop it. It also encourages people to live in a fantasy world and stare constantly into Narcissus' mirror.

That said, most people realize that inappropriate content is an endemic problem in the developed world. They know it is common, addictive, ugly, and harmful to intimate relationships. I am fairly open about my stance against inappropriate content and no one criticizes me about it. The girls say, "I didn't know guys did that. I wish my boyfriend would do that." The guys say, "I wish I was able to do that. It has become something of a burden for me." Obviously it is not always prudent to share such details with coworkers, but the issue is an elephant in the room. Everyone knows it's there, and it affects everyone's lives in one way or another.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I would think it unwise and rather inappropraite to discuss such matters in the workplace generally. (With good friends who happen to be workmates, perhaps, but even then, probably not in the workplace itself).

Maybe, if asked, just say something about managing boundaries around your use of social media, or some such.

Reactions: mnorian
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
After expressing their thoughts about a personal decision, I asks why would I care about your opinion. Then realized that I was the one who had given them the info

Different than discussing matters with friends and family.

You don't owe them an explanation unless directly related to your job.

Last edited:
Upvote 0