What is stopping the current government from making abortion illegal in the USA?

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I do not think they should make it illegal ( have a max time in which it must be done) but beyond that it should be up to the state and frankly if they want to change the law on abortion that is their best bet anyway.

• Prayers
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

HawgWyld

May 3, 2013
Benton, Ark.
Visit site
✟21,824.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Republican majorities in the House and Senate.
Republican President
Majority conservatives on the court.

What is the hold up, if anything?

Making abortion illegal would involve overturning "Roe v. Wade," which found that there was a constitutional right to privacy and that right allows women to choose an abortion under certain circumstances. The Supreme Court has been known to reverse prior decisions, of course, but there is another consideration -- what of the right of privacy established in "Roe v. Wade?"

In short, undoing 40 years of precedent is a big deal. We might see that happen, though, should the Court pick up another couple of conservative justices.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The promise to make abortion legal draws voters to the polls every time. If they actually made abortion illegal, they'd lose votes thr next election cycle.
Depends on which voters you want there are plenty of voters who oppose abortion.

Upvote 0

HawgWyld

May 3, 2013
Benton, Ark.
Visit site
✟21,824.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The promise to make abortion legal draws voters to the polls every time. If they actually made abortion illegal, they'd lose votes thr next election cycle.

That is precisely why it will be up to the Supreme Court to act -- justices aren't elected and are, therefore, free to make decisions without regard to the whims of voters. Besides, the Supreme Court is what essentially limits the ability of state and federal governments to outlaw abortions, anyway.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Depends on which voters you want there are plenty of voters who oppose abortion.
Righ, and once abortion is illegal, those one issue voters will be free to consider other issues or sit out elections. How many voters did you hear saying, I don't like Trump, but I can't vote for a pro choice candidate? Male abortion illegal and those voters won't be compelled to vote Republican based on that issue.

Upvote 0

HawgWyld

May 3, 2013
Benton, Ark.
Visit site
✟21,824.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Righ, and once abortion is illegal, those one issue voters will be free to consider other issues or sit out elections. How many voters did you hear saying, I don't like Trump, but I can't vote for a pro choice candidate? Male abortion illegal and those voters won't be compelled to vote Republican based on that issue.

You know, that is an extremely good point...

• Agree
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Which is why the Republicans haven't bothered to succeed in banning abortion yet. They can get us to support all manner of things if they hold out that carrot. But the Democrats could become the permanent majority party if they were prolife. Ideologically that is impossible for them.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Republican majorities in the House and Senate.
Republican President
Majority conservatives on the court.

The Supreme Court has found that such a ban would be unconstitutional.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It has too much power as a wedge issue that anyone would ever want it resolved.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ....
and power. (the enemy has more power than those who seek to serve JESUS and save lives)

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes, but it would NOT be the first time that a decision made by the supreme court has be overturned by the supreme court I know of two right off the top of my head.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It isn't illegal because america is the new Saddam and Gomorrah. The people would like to keep the powers in control so they allow people to kill babies because people are selfish like that. Even christians are more open to abortion now despite the bible saying "Do not murder." They don't want to have to "suffer" by having to raise a baby, so instead they make the baby suffer but killing it. I have zero respect for anyone who has an abortion and anyone who thinks its ok. Zero.

Thankfully with Trump in office and the supreme court being mainly on our side, we can over turn roe vs wade.

Hmm, now what I read. It says essentially we have the right to life, liberty and happiness. So pretty sure that covers babies too. What they should do if change it and to say "Life, liberty and happiness... unless your a baby, then your just a burden and don't deserve to live!". >.<

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It isn't illegal because america is the new Saddam and Gomorrah. The people would like to keep the powers in control so they allow people to kill babies because people are selfish like that. Even christians are more open to abortion now despite the bible saying "Do not murder." They don't want to have to "suffer" by having to raise a baby, so instead they make the baby suffer but killing it. I have zero respect for anyone who has an abortion and anyone who thinks its ok. Zero.

Thankfully with Trump in office and the supreme court being mainly on our side, we can over turn roe vs wade.

Hmm, now what I read. It says essentially we have the right to life, liberty and happiness. So pretty sure that covers babies too. What they should do if change it and to say "Life, liberty and happiness... unless your a baby, then your just a burden and don't deserve to live!". >.<
Their BEST bet is to turn it into a state issue.

• Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Upvote 0

HawgWyld

May 3, 2013
Benton, Ark.
Visit site
✟21,824.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Their BEST bet is to turn it into a state issue.
How? The Supreme Court has made this a federal issue by declaring that the right to privacy is constitutional and abortion is protected by it.

If "Roe v. Wade" stands as precedent, abortion can never become strictly a state issue. That being the case, a Court stacked with pro-life justices is the best way to make abortion illegal. Trump has already appointed one conservative justice and will likely appoint one or two more, so the Supreme Court may skew conservative for a generation -- that could potentially put an end to abortion.

Also, if abortion is made illegal, you've got a host of other problems -- a bunch of kids will be dumped into the welfare system or put up for adoption, so what then?

Bear in mind that I'm not advocating for abortion -- it is just an extremely complicated issue and anyone wanting to get rid of it needs to be ready to address a good number of questions.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but it would NOT be the first time that a decision made by the supreme court has be overturned by the supreme court I know of two right off the top of my head.
Fine, but that wasn't the question. The question was why doesn't the government just make it illegal, the answer is, the government can't, because the Supreme Court has ruled such laws unconstitutional. Someone needs to bring the matter before the Supreme Court, if it's to be reassessd.

Upvote 0

HawgWyld

May 3, 2013
Benton, Ark.
Visit site
✟21,824.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican