What is sex good for?

What's sex good for?

• It is only for within marriage to reproduce. (catholic view I guess...)

• It is only for within marriage but not just for reproduction.

• Masturbating outside of marriage is clearly an abuse.

• Masturbating outside of marriage is legitimate but must not serve as enjoyment.

• Masturbation outside of marriage is legitimate and can be enjoyed.

• Sex is always to be avoided even within marriage.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Jaws 13, are you suggesting that I side with an opinionated pdf file over scripture?
You mean the one that explains your verse, in context, with references, and using the original language rather than an English translation? The one that's far more scholarly than some guy posting on the internet? Yes, why, I guess I am suggesting you side with the scholarly and study the text.

Oh, and for the record, I've written a 30-page Bible study on the book of Matthew. So yeah, I've read it.

ghendricks63, please explain exactly how I pulled Matthew 5:28 "out of context".
The article shows how you pulled it out of context. So, once again, if you're only going to reply to half the post, don't bother replying.

Upvote 0

walkingxshadow

a poor player
Apr 7, 2011
Ecruteak city, Johto
✟61,839.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
IMO masturbation isnt a sin. your body has a certain build up of tension and hormones and it needs releasing. men have another issue with sperm build up. if not released voluntarily it will release itself in your sleep. which is just messy and no fun. if not released it can back up the tubing and cause serious pain, infections, and possible damage. it also reduces the risk of prostate cancer. to me there are too many health benefits of it for God to have intended it to be wrong. there are also no verses in the bible condemning it. while i think inappropriate content and fantasizing are wrong i dont think the act of or enjoyment of masturbation is a sin. for a man or a woman. in or out of marriage.

and then theres the argument that the modern emphasis on marriage is a little harsh. in the bible days you were married when you moved in together and had sex for the first time. there wasnt all this pomp and circumstance that we give it today. i dont think a piece of paper should be that important in telling you that your spouse is your spouse. your spouse is the person you love. not what a sheet of paper says. while i do think that you should make it formal with todays customs i dont think its the be all end all. and i think you should do what makes you happy but also is in accordance to the bible. meaning once you sleep together you are stuck together short of adultery. with or with out that sheet of paper.

Upvote 0

Curtis.Hilliker

Now what.......
Apr 25, 2011
Tehachapi CA
✟47,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Paul wrote, "Everything is permissable, but not everything is beneficial."

If your whole point is too look at the subject in the "clean, unclean food argument", then to you it is not unclean. But can you honestly explain to me what a habbit of masturbating is going to do for someone? As someone who ministers to those with addictive behaviors, I know exactly where an obsession with masturbation can lead.

lol I would like to see you convince a congregation that masturbation is acceptable.

Ive written very lengthy papers myself, but they don't always justify my opinions.

Have a blessed week bro.

Upvote 0

ghendricks63

Feb 25, 2011
✟1,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jaws 13, are you suggesting that I side with an opinionated pdf file over scripture?

ghendricks63, please explain exactly how I pulled Matthew 5:28 "out of context".

Simple. Lust and sexual thought are two different things. And one happens to be sinful where the other is not. Read the article...a little scholarly research won't hurt ya...in fact it could benefit you tremendously.

Upvote 0

ghendricks63

Feb 25, 2011
✟1,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Lust and sexual thought are two different things".....lol you keep telling yourself that :)

LMAO - Don't worry I will. Break down and actually study a bit and you'll find that there are all sorts of cool things to be learned in scripture. ;)

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Paul wrote, "Everything is permissable, but not everything is beneficial."

If your whole point is too look at the subject in the "clean, unclean food argument", then to you it is not unclean. But can you honestly explain to me what a habbit of masturbating is going to do for someone? As someone who ministers to those with addictive behaviors, I know exactly where an obsession with masturbation can lead.
Red herring. For most people, masturbation isn't an obsession. This thread isn't about sex addiction.
lol I would like to see you convince a congregation that masturbation is acceptable.
I'd like to see you actually address the article rather than dodging around the issue and acting like you know better. False bravado isn't going to convince anyone of anything.

Ive written very lengthy papers myself, but they don't always justify my opinions.

Have a blessed week bro.
A Bible study isn't something written to justify a position, and it isn't just a lengthy paper. If you have something of substance to post, then do so. Beating around the bush merely wastes our time.

Upvote 0

Curtis.Hilliker

Now what.......
Apr 25, 2011
Tehachapi CA
✟47,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Jaws, brother, you are way out of line, and in no way has your last reply proven me wrong in any way....

I never mentioned a bible study, what does a red herring have to do with any of this, how is posted scripture (Paul from Romans) nothing of substance???

I did state my case in the poll earlier; sex outside of marriage is fornication, and I believe that sex is ok for purposes of gratification for married couples only.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ghendricks63

Feb 25, 2011
✟1,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ghendricks

Do you sincerely want me to believe that "sexual thought" isn't one step closer to temptation?

Well by the same logic thinking about lunch is closer to the temptation to gluttony. Hey...it's your bondage to live in. You are certainly welcome to it.

Upvote 0

Curtis.Hilliker

Now what.......
Apr 25, 2011
Tehachapi CA
✟47,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
No it isnt, because it's only gluttony if I eat to over-indulgence.

Where is any sexuality outside of marriage promoted in scripture?

1 Corinthians 5:6
Your boasting is not good. Don't you know that a little yeast works through the whole batch of dough?

Upvote 0

Curtis.Hilliker

Now what.......
Apr 25, 2011
Tehachapi CA
✟47,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Matthew 15:19

For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander.

If you aren't married, you shouldn't be thinking about sex. When it eventualy comes down to that, I repent and pray/get prayer from members of my congregation. :)

Upvote 0

ghendricks63

Feb 25, 2011
✟1,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander.

If you aren't married, you shouldn't be thinking about sex. When it eventualy comes down to that, I repent and pray/get prayer from members of my congregation. :)

Have you read SOS? Have you not also read where God Himself gave David his master's wives into his bed? (No indication that he married them all) Gee whiz God chose a polygamus marriage and two additional lovers who were not married to birth the nation of Israel.

No sexual thought if you are not married? Are you for real? Do you not have ANY concept at all of the way God designed us?

Like I said. It is your bondage...you can have it. I am not telling you to change. But neither shall you deny my freedom. I will not allow my freedom to be judged by your conscience.

Upvote 0

Curtis.Hilliker

Now what.......
Apr 25, 2011
Tehachapi CA
✟47,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
SOS? KING DAVID COMMITTED ADULTRY AND HAD HER HUSBAND KILLED IN BATTLE!!!!! I believe he repented in a few psalms if I am not mistaken?????

I did not say that is was possible to remove all sexual thought permanently, that you have mis-quoted me on.... infact I said that when I DO that I repent!!! I tell people (confess sins) and I pray for healing!!!

Matthew 3:8 Keeping with repentance produces fruit ...one of the fruits being self control. But Im sure you already knew that....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ghendricks63

Feb 25, 2011
✟1,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
SOS? KING DAVID COMMITTED ADULTRY AND HAD HER HUSBAND KILLED IN BATTLE!!!!! I believe he repented in a few psalms if I am not mistaken?????

I did not say that is was possible to remove all sexual thought permanently, that you have mis-quoted me on.... infact I said that when I DO that I repent!!! I tell people (confess sins) and I pray for healing!!!

Matthew 3:8 Keeping with repentance produces fruit ...one of the fruits being self control. But Im sure you already knew that....

Yeah I know you repent...I don't because I have freedom. True one of the fruits of the Spirit is self control. But I have self control AND I have sexual thoughts. There is no repentance needed for what is normal and acceptable to God.

Once again...you are welcome to your bondage. I will live in freedom. ;)

Upvote 0

ghendricks63

Feb 25, 2011
✟1,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"I don't because I have freedom."

Wow, God help us all.

God bless and have a wonderful evening.

Yes...just like in the Song of Solomon I celebrate the freedom of sexual thought. And for most of the book they were not yet married. Save your righteous indignation for the weak minded who don't know their bibles. It does not impress me. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Sexual immorality is a sex act which is forbidden. Masturbation isn't condemned, and it isn't sex. Nor is 'thinking about sex' condemned. As my article shows. Therefore, your verse does not address this topic. Nor does your comment about what you do with 'your congregation'.

No it isnt, because it's only gluttony if I eat to over-indulgence.
Then neither is masturbation sex, sexual temptation, or over-indulgence by itself. You missed his comparison.

Where is any sexuality outside of marriage promoted in scripture?
Another red herring: This has nothing to do with the discussion. We're not talking about sexuality, or one's sexual preferences. We are also not talking about sex. We are talking about masturbation. Please stay on topic.

1 Corinthians 5:6
Your boasting is not good. Don't you know that a little yeast works through the whole batch of dough?
Cut the accusations. No one's boasting here and it's quite rude to make false accusations.

Jaws, brother, you are way out of line, and in no way has your last reply proven me wrong in any way....
Then why don't you refute it, rather than telling me I'm wrong without any reason for why this might be the case?
I never mentioned a bible study, what does a red herring have to do with any of this, how is posted scripture (Paul from Romans) nothing of substance???
You opened with 'have you ever read Matthew' implying that the verse disagreed with me. I responded by telling you to address the rest of my post, which contained an article that shows what your verse actually means and noted that I've written a Bible study ON Matthew. You said that writing a long document doesn't prove one's point. I never said it did, so your reply was off topic: A red herring, meant to distract from the actual argument, much as this reply is: You never cited anything from Romans, and simply posting a Bible verse doesn't prove your point in light of a scholarly article that performs an exegesis on the passage you post in English. The actual evidence takes priority over empty claims.

I did state my case in the poll earlier; sex outside of marriage is fornication, and I believe that sex is ok for purposes of gratification for married couples only.
Again, a red herring: Masturbation is not sex, so this reply as well as the last does not address the discussion at hand: Is masturbation a sin?

Upvote 0