What is Required for a Non Muslim to Visit a Mosque?

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Why did you decide to visit a Mosque if you aren't muslim?
Curiosity is one reason someone might visit. Or maybe because the person isn't 100% sure about his present religion. Or perhaps because the person has been convinced that Islam is the right way to approach the creator?

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Or perhaps because the person has been convinced that Islam is the right way to approach the creator?

Then that person would be deceived by the evil one.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,854.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
When I visited a mosque I observed their modesty standard (veiled). They didn't, strictly speaking, require it but they found it respectful/polite of me to do so.

Like others have said, I think it's helpful if you make contact with someone beforehand. That way they can make sure there is someone on hand to answer any questions you might have etc.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are there any preliminary requirements for a non-Muslim to visit a Mosque as a guest? I recently overheard some people joking about a person possibly getting assaulted if he just walked in without going through the proper rituals. Is that true?
An invitation and sponsor.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
An invitation and sponsor.

So you cannot enter without an invitation or a sponsor?
Didn't know that that religion was so strictly exclusive.
Seems similar to Judaism in that area.
Christianity has its doors open to anyone who is interested.

Rev 22:
Jesus, have sent My angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the bright Morning Star.” 17The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” Let the one who hears say, “Come!” And let the one who is thirsty come, and the one who desires the water of life drink freely.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Muslims consider Christians and Jews as people of the Book.

Not really interested in their thoughts on us. Sacred Scripture and the history of the Church has stated clearly that there is no salvation outside of a relationship with Christ. You can be as religious as you wish.....no Christ....no salvation. Very clear.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Not really interested in their thoughts on us. Sacred Scripture and the history of the Church has stated clearly that there is no salvation outside of a relationship with Christ. You can be as religious as you wish.....no Christ....no salvation. Very clear.
Jesus told those at the cross that people who knew not what they were doing should be forgiven.

Luke 23: 34
Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.—

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I have also visited a Mosque, for the purposes of interfaith understanding. I just showed up for the Friday prayer service. They in no way forbid me interest, and once I was at the right spot they were quite happy to answer my questions. I intend for a re-visit when I have the time.

I do recommend calling ahead of time though, so you can have a buddy. Myself, being unknowing, committed about a dozen major social/religious taboos simply because I didn't know any better. Having a buddy would have made the process much smoother for me and those around me.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Jesus told those at the cross that people who knew not what they were doing should be forgiven.

Luke 23: 34
Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.—

Yes, and Romans 2 also tells us that those who have not heard will not be held as accountable as those who have.

The problem for Muslims, Jews, and others who reject Christ is that they are no longer in ignorance. The Gospel has been preached, Christ has been proclaimed as Lord and King, and salvation through Him alone has been told to almost all the world.

You cannot make the same claim for today's Christ rejecters as you could 2000 years ago.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes, and Romans 2 also tells us that those who have not heard will not be held as accountable as those who have.

The problem for Muslims, Jews, and others who reject Christ is that they are no longer in ignorance. The Gospel has been preached, Christ has been proclaimed as Lord and King, and salvation through Him alone has been told to almost all the world.

You cannot make the same claim for today's Christ rejecters as you could 2000 years ago.

Ignorance can predominate in the mind of a person due to many reasons.

1. Defective socialization
2. Low level of intelligence

Those two factors can result in a person hearing but not fully comprehending.

Also, hearing but being emotionally incapable of taking action due to resulting social harassment can happen.

Or a sincere belief that they are right because the reasoning on their side seems more convincing and they sincerely believe that their way is right.

That is also to be taken into consideration and is definitely taken into consideration by a righteous all-knowing judge who evaluates the human heart on an individual basis.

For example:

Many Jews are convinced that Jesus didn't fulfill the messianic prophesies. Will God condemn them for sincerely not believing it and finding their side of the argument more compelling? Or will he allow them to pass Armageddon instead and show them clearly that they were wrong? A just God would do the latter. The same applies to the Muslims who sincerely approach him in their efforts to please him but who don't know any better.

I once belonged to a denomination who believe tat God mows down people in the way you describe. They didn't listen-so down the drain they go! According to them only they will pass Armageddon. I don't think that that particular way of describing the creator is correct because God isn't a blind machine of destruction that mows down everything in his way. He desires mankind to live not to perish and is not seeking ways to slaughter based on rule thinking but employs his infinite wisdom love and justice to evaluate each human heart instead..

Now, AFTER no excuse can be legitimately be found, perhaps during the millennium, then he will definitely destroy those who legitimately reject his Son although they now know for a certainty that he is indeed the only way to salvation.

So I guess we disagree on that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I once belonged to a denomination who believe tat God mows down people in the way you describe. According to them only they will pass Armageddon. I don't think that that particular way of describing the creator is correct because God isn't a blind machine of destruction that mows down everything in his way. He desires mankind to live not to perish and is not seeking ways to slaughter based on rule thinking but employs his infinite wisdom love and justice to evaluate each human heart instead..

So I guess we disagree on that.

Actually, I agree very much with you, and I find the idea of a God who "mows them down" to be in high conflict with the biblical description of God as love

I am simply saying that there is no salvation outside of Christ. Now as for who is in Christ....that is something that theologians much more brilliant than I have said "We know where the Church is, what we don't know is who is in it."

As such, however, I would not go into a mosque and anyone who is looking for a relationship with God through Islam is looking in the wrong place. God has revealed Himself through the Incarnation and that has been preached quite clearly for 2000 years. I think there is a point in time when you have heard the Gospel over and over and over that you can no longer claim ignorance. Certainly not in this century.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
the Son of God
Actually, I agree very much with you, and I find the idea of a God who "mows them down" to be in high conflict with the biblical description of God as love

I am simply saying that there is no salvation outside of Christ. Now as for who is in Christ....that is something that theologians much more brilliant than I have said "We know where the Church is, what we don't know is who is in it."

As such, however, I would not go into a mosque and anyone who is looking for a relationship with God through Islam is looking in the wrong place. God has revealed Himself through the Incarnation and that has been preached quite clearly for 2000 years. I think there is a point in time when you have heard the Gospel over and over and over that you can no longer claim ignorance. Certainly not in this century.

It is only for God to decide who is truly rejecting his Son although they believe him to be the Christ and who is rejecting him because they do not perceive him to be the Christ. There is a big difference between the two.
One involves the rejection of what is sincerely perceived to be a mere man. The other involves the rejection of what is perceived to be the Son of God and the provision for our salvation. The first doesn't deserve the death sentence. The second does.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have also visited a Mosque, for the purposes of interfaith understanding. I just showed up for the Friday prayer service. They in no way forbid me interest, and once I was at the right spot they were quite happy to answer my questions. I intend for a re-visit when I have the time.

I do recommend calling ahead of time though, so you can have a buddy. Myself, being unknowing, committed about a dozen major social/religious taboos simply because I didn't know any better. Having a buddy would have made the process much smoother for me and those around me.

Interested in hearing about one of those taboo experiences.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Interested in hearing about one of those taboo experiences.
Well for starters I showed up in a T-shirt without any hijab or even long sleeves. The mosque had horrible signage, so I spent 20 minutes driving around to find it. When I found it, I walked in and did what everyone else did: took my shoes off, walked in, and sat down between the tape. It did not occur to me that all of the people around me were men. Turns out, mosques services are gender divided because during prayers your nose is 2 inches from the other person's butt. People kept staring at me, and I just gave a big grin back-- excited to attend my first mosque and totally oblivious. It was about 20 minutes later before some very bashful guy came and told me where the women's section is....

And the women's section was so much nicer! The men were packed in like sardines, seating marked by masking tape on the ground. The women had fancy carpet, food, plenty of space, and Lazy-Boy recliners.

Reactions: Limo
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well for starters I showed up in a T-shirt without any hijab or even long sleeves. The mosque had horrible signage, so I spent 20 minutes driving around to find it. When I found it, I walked in and did what everyone else did: took my shoes off, walked in, and sat down between the tape. It did not occur to me that all of the people around me were men. Turns out, mosques services are gender divided because during prayers your nose is 2 inches from the other person's butt. People kept staring at me, and I just gave a big grin back-- excited to attend my first mosque and totally oblivious. It was about 20 minutes later before some very bashful guy came and told me where the women's section is....

And the women's section was so much nicer! The men were packed in like sardines, seating marked by masking tape on the ground. The women had fancy carpet, food, plenty of space, and Lazy-Boy recliners.

Will have to look up the term hijab. So women have to where long sleeves!

Pentecostals also divide the church services into men and women sections in order to avoid what they call temptation. I think it is a good idea. I once went to a church where men and women aren't segregated, took a seat behind this sister and a brother, her husband, shifted seats with her so that she would not be directly in front of me and gave me a malicious glance. I guess he was judging me according to his own carnal mentality. Such a scenario is avoided by segregation.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Will have to look up the term hijab.
It's the head scarf.
So women have to where long sleeves!
Depends on the when/where and which group you're talking about (there's huge variety). Generally speaking for Friday prayers it's considered respectful to wear long sleeves.
Pentecostals also divide the church services into men and women sections in order to avoid what they call temptation. I think it is a good idea. I once went to a church where men and women aren't segregated, took a seat behind this sister and a brother, her husband, shifted seats with her so that she would not be directly in front of me and gave me a malicious glance. I guess he was judging me according to his own carnal mentality. Such a scenario is avoided by segregation.
Avoiding carnality is another reason Muslims usually septette men and women. As you said, some Christians do the same. There's also Jews that do the same. In my church, main services is everyone together: men, women, and screaming children!

Upvote 0