Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
amen and amen

without holiness we cannot enter into heaven.........
Hebrews 12
dont be decieved manyteach a gospel that says holiness is not necessary
Hello Traveling teacher, welcome to CF,
The starting point and assumption of this thread is, that holiness is necessary. The point we are aiming at for is, what is holiness.
The scripture that W2L points us to tells us that holiness involves separation and cleanliness. Ok, but as I've said to him, what does that mean in practice, in day to day living? Do you advocate monasticism as a way to holiness? How do we, “cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit”?

Hebrew (Strong's dictionary):
H6944 קֹדֶשׁ qôdesh (ko'-desh): From H6942; a sacred place or thing; rarely abstractly sanctity
H6942 קָדַשׁ qâdash (kaw-dash'): A primitive root; to be (causatively make, pronounce or observe as) clean (ceremonially or morally)
So the idea behind holy in Hebrew is cleanness (morally or ceremonially).
Greek (Strong's dictionary):
G40 ἅγιος hagios (hag'-ee-os): From ἅγος hagos (an awful thing) compare G53, [H2282]; sacred (physically pure, morally blameless or religious, ceremonially consecrated)
G53 ἁγνός hagnos (hag-nos'): From the same as G40; properly clean, that is, (figuratively) innocent, modest, perfect
Also in the Greek we see the connotation of purity/cleanness.
Holy items in the temple were "set apart" as holy, in order to keep them ceremonially clean. In the same way, if we wish to be clean, we must be set apart to God in a world that will desecrate us morally.
Hope this helps;
Mike

Yes Mike, helpful,
Interesting that the root word hagos has the meaning of an awe-full thing.
I'm not sure that saying “agape is holiness” really clarifies holiness or that 'doing agape' leads to holiness? Maybe it's the other way round? :) fhansen seems to be making the same point so I'll take this further in my reply to him.

This is the oft-quoted definition of holiness: the state of being without sin.
Yet, that makes the definition of God's central character dependent on that which He is NOT.
Let me phrase it this way:
God was who He is, long before sin existed.
God was Holy, from eternity past.
Long before sin came along.
How could holiness have been defined back then, without referring to sin?

Hi Polyjetix, yes agreed but in our attempts to 'achieve' holiness sin will inevitably be in the the picture.

It means having to be aware of what I think, say, look at and how I behave.
Needless to say I fail at it constantly.

Yes John agreed, awareness and self examination, which supposes some measure of spiritual discernment, have to be part of 'perfecting holiness'.
I hope your constancy in failing starts to diminishes. Could get a bit depressing otherwise :).

The definition of holiness, righteousness, justice, is love, the very nature of God that we're to be transformed into. And this is why the Greatest Commandments are what they are.
One way that holiness is commonly described is by using the concept of sinlessness. But sinlessness is just the flip side, or the negative way of describing, the state of one who loves. Because 'love fulfills the Law' (Rom 13:8), it produces sinlessness/ overcomes lawlessness by its nature. Love is the means by which God places His law in our minds and writes it on our hearts, fulfilling the New Covenant prophecy of Jer 31:33-34.
But it doesn't stop with simply opposing sin, from refraining from harming our neighbors, but also with producing positive acts that seek to aid our neighbor when they need help, to make a better world, to strive for God's will to be done on earth.
Love is the heart of justice for man; it's what faith is meant to lead to. This happens because faith is a turning to God, constituting the doorway to relationship or communion with Him, 'apart from Whom we can do nothing' (John 15:5) but 'with Whom all things are possible' (Matt 19:26), so that He may indwell and do His work in us. Only love can overcome the evil in this world-while providing the pathway to God's kingdom for us.

Hello flansen,
As with food4thought, who seems to be making this same point that love=holiness, I question how helpful this is? Holiness-righteousness-justice-agape love are not synonyms. Yes closely connected but each has its own meaning. I think that being able to grasp the distinctiveness of each, rather than blurring them together, will help us the better to 'do' them.

Indeed, 1 Peter 1:13-16 was referencing Leviticus for instructions for how to have a holy conduct as God is holy. It is also pretty straightforward that observing God's holy days is part of what means to have a holy conduct. Holiness is about being set apart for a specific purpose. For example, vessels in the temple that were holy were used only for one specific purpose and were not used for any other purpose. God is holy because He is set apart for the redemption, reconciliation, and restoration of man-kind and God has made us holy by making us new creations for the purpose of living for the one who died for us and was raised again and by giving us the privilege of being Christ's ambassadors and joining in God's ministry of reconciliation (2 Corinthians 5:11-21). As members of God's chosen people, we are set apart to be a light to the world to show them how to become reconciled to God, how to serve Him, and how to walk in His ways.

Hello Soyeong, thanks for your input,
Yes Peter points to Leviticus yet that scripture is specifically about showing holiness by keeping strict rules about what to eat and what not to eat. But when we put that together with Acts 10, John 15:10-20 and Romans 14 we know that now (at least for non jewish Christians) showing holiness is not done through those rules.
So then the pertinent question is, how now do we show holiness? By keeping the seventh day distinct and special? I don't want to be diverted into that specific topic but I would be interested to hear what sort of 'life style' choices are there that a Christian might adopt to show holiness.

><>

Upvote 0

PollyJetix

Feb 15, 2017
Virginia
✟42,933.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From our point of view, yes, a good definition of holiness is "sinlessness".
There is no way we can achieve this by our own efforts.
It takes the Blood of Jesus to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

And from that point, it takes being filled with the Holy Spirit, so that we do not walk after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Sanctification is a process. We are carnal when we are spiritual newborns. (1 Corinthians 3:1)
But as we pursue God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength, we grow.
Over time, we learn how to walk in the Spirit at all times.

What's sad, is to see older Christians who have stayed carnal far, far too long...

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hello flansen,
As with food4thought, who seems to be making this same point that love=holiness, I question how helpful this is? Holiness-righteousness-justice-agape love are not synonyms. Yes closely connected but each has its own meaning. I think that being able to grasp the distinctiveness of each, rather than blurring them together, will help us the better to 'do' them.
The problem, as I see it, is that we end up with a vague notion of what holiness is-we can't really quite grasp it. IMO the virtue of love, even if not precisely the same, still fully encompasses those other virtues: justice, righteousness, holiness-and obedience as well; it gives us both the authentic impetus to achieve them, so that we're not merely stoically, externally, attempting to be pure by our own efforts for whatever reason, but it also simply results in achieving them, by its nature.

To say that 'Love fulfills the law' is to say that love produces sinlessness. To fulfill the greatest commandments, to the extent that we can, is to reach the apex of Christian righteousness, even as we may, as a sidenote, have a tendency to minimize or dismiss love as being meek or relatively powerless. But its humble nature is actually its strength; its the power of the cross, in fact. Another way to put it is to say that 1 Cor 13 gives a pretty apt description of holiness. IOW, when we have love, we have it all IMO-because its the only true pathway to 'it all'. Just some thoughts-maybe not helpful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok - what is holiness? My thoughts so far;
Separateness from the world and its uncleanness. This is still a bit foggy in terms of day to day interaction and relationships with unbelievers. But ok, on the level of morality we don't lie, steal, cheat, covert, and so on.
Dedicated to God's purposes. To do His will in all things at all times, our utmost desire.

How you doing so far?

Holiness is something we can;
follow after – Hebrews 12:14
get to by yielding to righteousness – Romans 6:19
perfect – 2 Corinthians 7:1
continue in – 1 Timothy 2:15
partake in (receive?) through God's chastisements – Hebrews 12:10

As to the relationship between God's love and his holiness, has it struck anyone else how much holiness is linked with fire and judgment? The first reference to fire in the Bible is Genesis 3:24, the flaming sword guarding the way to the tree of life. When Paul speaks of God's goodness and his sternness, Romans 11:22, is this a juxtaposing of his love and his holiness?

In these following T.Traherne quotes, the words which, seem to me to be important in grasping what holiness is, are zeal, desire, hatred of profaneness, pursuing.

“Look upon His Holiness, It is the hatred of profaneness, and the Lov wherewith He loveth Righteous Actions. … he was caried to the utmost Hieght of all possible Glory with a Desire enflamed with infinit Beauty and with such zeal preferred the most Excellent things that he would not for all Worlds, hav swerved one Hairs Bredth from the Mark of Perfection, or fallen Short, in the least Imaginable degree, of Infinit Excellency.”

“The infinite love of His own goodness is the holiness of God.”

“Holiness, if it be strictly defined, is that virtue in God by which He loveth the most perfect things, and infinitely delighteth in them. There are infinite pleasures and perfections in its nature that merit an infinite esteem and desire. His goodness is all beauty, and His holiness all fire and flame in pursuing it.”
T.Traherne

No Traherne is not The Bible but our God is a consuming fire. Isn't He?
Go well, be holy?
><>

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mcarmichael
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As to the relationship between God's love and his holiness, has it struck anyone else how much holiness is linked with fire and judgment? The first reference to fire in the Bible is Genesis 3:24, the flaming sword guarding the way to the tree of life. When Paul speaks of God's goodness and his sternness, Romans 11:22, is this a juxtaposing of his love and his holiness?

I certainly can't believe that love and holiness are at odds in any way. Adam's sin could be described as failing to love God with his whole heart, soul, mind, and strength; that love would've naturally precluded disobedience. And that lack of love, unless and until overcome, would've itself prevented Adam from being capable of eating of the Tree of Life. Adam/humankind wasn't yet ready.

And God's dealings with man, in making him ready, in drawing him into justice with a plan that stretched over centuries, involved a carrot and a stick from the beginning. It may sound paradoxical but God's basic command to obey His word was a command to love, because that's the only state or disposition in man that could pull it off, that could cause him to obey; we're drawn by that which we perceive to be the greatest good and at that point Adam entertained the notion that the greatest good might be himself; heeding his own opinion on truth and righteousness or morality over God's might get him a better deal: more fulfillment, happiness, whatever.

'Thou shalt love'; Jesus summed this up with the Greatest Commandments but it's really been God's basic command from the beginning. And that command is righteous and good and beautiful, and therefore deserving of our obedience and yet the disobedience of it is inherently ugly in its consequences-because it means a life without love, with all that entails-eternally if we so choose.

So the sternness-the stick-might actually be an intrinsic and necessary part of the command to love; we can fail to comply but evil is the only possible result of doing so-and God's nature can only ultimately oppose evil even as He works patiently to free us from its bonds. Love, as well, can be described as a fire, burning in His and our hearts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes Mike, helpful,
Interesting that the root word hagos has the meaning of an awe-full thing.
I'm not sure that saying “agape is holiness” really clarifies holiness or that 'doing agape' leads to holiness? Maybe it's the other way round? :) fhansen seems to be making the same point so I'll take this further in my reply to him.

Thank you for the response. Awe comes comes into the picture with the holy thing or place being connected to the holy God.

I think it works both ways. As I strive to love as God loves it inevitably leads to being more clean and pure before God; and striving to be clean and pure before God requires us to love others as God loves us.

I am not trying to say agape defines holiness, only that agape is the primary evidence of, and pathway to, holiness in a person.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Hello Soyeong, thanks for your input,
Yes Peter points to Leviticus yet that scripture is specifically about showing holiness by keeping strict rules about what to eat and what not to eat. But when we put that together with Acts 10, John 15:10-20 and Romans 14 we know that now (at least for non jewish Christians) showing holiness is not done through those rules.

If you believe that God's holiness is eternal, then you should also believe that the way to act according to God's holiness is likewise eternal. So if refraining from eating unclean animals is no longer acting in accordance with God's holiness, that it would only be because God's unchanging holiness changed.

It is good to keep in mind that holiness never came about through our actions, but rather it has always been God who makes us holy, and so we should therefore follow God's instructions for how to act in accordance with His holiness, just as it is God who makes us righteous, so we should therefore follow God's instructions for how to act in accordance with His righteousness, and God's Law is His instructions for how to act in accordance with His holiness, righteousness, and goodness (Romans 7:12).

There is a theme throughout the Bible that we must obey God rather than man, so we should be careful not to mistake something that was only against obeying the laws of men, as being against following the Laws of the God that we follow. For example, in Romans 14, the topic is stated in the first verse as being in regard to handingly disputable matters of opinion, not in regard to whether followers of God should follow God's commands. So for example, they weren't disputing whether to follow God's command against idolatry, but they did dispute how to correctly follow that command. Meat that had been sacrificed to idols was often later sold on the market and if someone was at a community meal where they couldn't verify where the meat had come from, then they might be of the opinion that it was idolatry and only vegetables should be eaten, and they were judging others over this opinion and in turn being resented (Romans 14:2-3). God's Word gave no clear ruling on that matter, so each should be convinced in their own minds, but where God's Word gives a clear command, human opinion must yield.

Acts 10:14-15 But Peter said, “I can’t do that, Lord! I have never eaten anything that is not pure or fit to be used for food.” 15 But the voice said to him again, “God has made these things pure. Don’t say they are unfit to eat.”

In Peter's vision, it said that all kinds of animals were let down, so the key the correctly understanding his vision is understanding why Peter didn't simply follow God's command by killing and eating one of the clean animals. The Bible doesn't use the words "common" and "unclean" interchangeably so why did Peter say that he had never eat any common animals or unclean animals? God only corrected Peter's use of the word "common", not his use of the word "unclean", so he had correctly used that word and had correctly refused to eat unclean animals. The issue was that he was incorrectly referring to clean animals, which he interpreted three times to be in regard to incorrectly referring to Gentiles, and not once did he say anything about being able to eat unclean animals. So this is another example of mistakenly taking something that was only against obeying a man-made law as being against obeying what God had commanded.

In John 15:10-20, the Bible often uses parallel statements that are two ways of saying the same thing. In John 7:16 and John 14:24, Jesus said that his teaching was not his own, but that of the Father, so there is no room for any distinction between what he taught and what the Father has commanded.

So then the pertinent question is, how now do we show holiness? By keeping the seventh day distinct and special? I don't want to be diverted into that specific topic but I would be interested to hear what sort of 'life style' choices are there that a Christian might adopt to show holiness.

God have instructions for how to have a holy conduct in accordance with His eternal and unchanging holiness, so I don't think it is a great mystery to figure out what we should look up to figure out how to show holiness in accordance with being part of a holy nation (1 Peter 2:9-10). Keeping God's holy days is pretty straightforward as being part of what it means to have a holy conduct.

Upvote 0

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟31,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A main importance of holiness is listening to the promptings of the leading of the Holy Spirit
David said in Psalms
Search my heart oh God and see if there is any wicked way in me???

John 16:8-9
The Holy Spirit will convict the world of sin and righteousness......

Monastic practices???
Daily in Jesus life got up early to pray
Luke 5:16
Mark 1:35

Upvote 0

mcarmichael

Novice
Sep 8, 2014
✟56,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From our point of view, yes, a good definition of holiness is "sinlessness".
I'm not certain that I agree, although I liked pretty much everything you said after this. For an example: why sinless rather than blameless, though?

It is written: "For one will hardly die for a righteous man; though perhaps for the good man someone would dare even to die."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's definitely better understood when it's translated as set-apart instead of holy.

For example, the Levitical priests clothing was set-apart. It was set-apart from other clothing and it had a specific use. In a similar fashion, we are to be set-apart so God can use us for His specific use. God Himself is set-apart, and we are to choose to be set-apart like Him

When you are set-apart, you live a very different lifestyle from the majority of people on the earth. It doesn't mean you hide out and never leave your house, but you will find that you don't do many things that your friends & family do.

Think about this: God wants His children to be set-apart and be a light to those around His children. If we aren't actively setting ourselves apart every day, how will people notice a difference if we're blending in with how we talk, walk, dress, eat etc?

The commands God gave Israel were to teach them how to be set-apart.

Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's definitely better understood when it's translated as set-apart instead of holy.

For example, the Levitical priests clothing was set-apart. It was set-apart from other clothing and it had a specific use. In a similar fashion, we are to be set-apart so God can use us for His specific use. God Himself is set-apart, and we are to choose to be set-apart like Him

When you are set-apart, you live a very different lifestyle from the majority of people on the earth. It doesn't mean you hide out and never leave your house, but you will find that you don't do many things that your friends & family do.

Think about this: God wants His children to be set-apart and be a light to those around His children. If we aren't actively setting ourselves apart every day, how will people notice a difference if we're blending in with how we talk, walk, dress, eat etc?

The commands God gave Israel were to teach them how to be set-apart.
Hello Dkh, so how/what should I talk, walk, wear, eat etc to show 'holiness'? At the moment in the middle of a crowded supermarket I don't think that I would be particularly noticeable.
><>

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello John,
Yes both the hebrew and the greek word have the sense of being set apart. Saint and sanctified are also derived from these same same root words.
But what does that mean in your daily life? Is being holy the same as being sinless?
Go well
><>

Good question.

being holy is not the same as being "sinless".

Good study and good thread.

God bless you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums