What is difference btwn "flash-based" MP3 players and...

WV25115

Nov 12, 2005
✟383.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
'regular' MP3 players?

I had narrowed my decision down to getting either an Ipod video 30gb or the Creative Zen Touch 40gb. Then I was reading something about "flash based" mp3 players being better if you're going to use it while exercising.

Can someone shed light on this for me?

Audiomechanic

^ My Name | v Things I say
Dec 16, 2005
Katy, TX
✟10,234.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well the so-called 'regular' mp3 players (which are also the ones that have the larger storage capacity) have small hard drives not unlike the ones in your computer inside them. Since the hard drive is a moving part (like a spining CD) it has the possibility of breaking or skipping under high stress. A flash based mp3 player stores everything in what's called flash RAM. Much like the RAM cards that are in your computer except that flash RAM continues to store data in it even when there is no power applied to it. Since flash RAM has 0 moving parts, there is nothing to jar loose and very little to break. Flash RAM players are often smaller, lighter and use less battery power but have limited storage capacity, usually up to 1GB while their hard drive based bretheren can store up to 60 or 80GB now.

Upvote 0

micro

your ad here
Nov 4, 2003
montana
Visit site
✟1,271.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I would deffinately go with the ipod.
I would look on ebay for this item, there are places thet sell them new for a lot less money then localy or other online places. My friend just bought one off ebay and is very happy with it. He has also had other brands of mp3 players and the ipod if superier in build quality and sound quality.

So sure the best does cost a little more but in the end it ends up giving more satisfaction and lasts longer with less problems.

Upvote 0

rdale

Feb 5, 2004
Oregon
✟16,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Audiomechanic said:
Well the so-called 'regular' mp3 players (which are also the ones that have the larger storage capacity) have small hard drives not unlike the ones in your computer inside them. Since the hard drive is a moving part (like a spining CD) it has the possibility of breaking or skipping under high stress. A flash based mp3 player stores everything in what's called flash RAM. Much like the RAM cards that are in your computer except that flash RAM continues to store data in it even when there is no power applied to it. Since flash RAM has 0 moving parts, there is nothing to jar loose and very little to break. Flash RAM players are often smaller, lighter and use less battery power but have limited storage capacity, usually up to 1GB while their hard drive based bretheren can store up to 60 or 80GB now.
Very good explanation Audomechanic! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Quantum_Man

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2005
Long Island, NY
Visit site
✟18,677.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
WV25115 said:
Do you guys think that I could get an Ipod (like a 30gb one) and use it for exercise walking, gym machines, etc? Not running, but fast walking?

With the Ipod, can I download music from just anywhere to use on it, or can I only download from itunes?

Absolutely yes the 30GB iPod would be fine for fast walking. I believe it comes with a 20-minute anti-skip protection mechanism as well, so you wouldn't have to worry about it skipping.

Upvote 0