Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In any case you already said it is most likely to be talking about 7 days - and in fact neither you nor anyone else makes a case against the 7 day week of Gen 1:2-2:3 and Ex 20:8-11 - FROM the text - rather you make it "in spite of the text" statements to the contrary.

Ok Bob, let's break it down a little bit. I'm with you on the doctrine of creation in Genesis 1 but what do you think the doctrine of creation looks like in the New Testament. Original sin is a prime issue which is inextricably linked to the references to Adam in the New Testament. What is far more significant is the virgin birth, the incarnation, resurrection, new birth and of course, the translation of believers at the return of Christ.

I think you have been clear enough what you think of Genesis 1, why don't you relate it to how it's expressed in say John 1, Hebrews 1 or Romans 1?

Just curious if you are going somewhere with this.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Originally Posted by BobRyanAnd in Mark 7 above - Christ tells us that the Ten Commandments written by Moses are 'The Word of God" as does James in James 1 claim about all the Law of God.

We don't know that at all.

First, note that your are bringing in an extra-textual criterion. We do not know from the texts which creation account is the real one (or even if any of them are.)

Until we read the actual text. turns out Genesis is the real one - and the pagan options simply aren't much of an option even for theistic evolutionists - if they are Christian.

As for Gen 1:2-2:3 being the only timeline given for the creation - well that is obvious.

We have to be Christian to "know" this text is the right one. We don't expect a Hindu to accept this text

That is a given.

Good thing this is a Christian discussion board.

Simplifies the discussion.

There is no either-or fallacy being practiced by the Bible writers - it is both-and when it comes to "The Word".

It is not a numbers game - it is a fact finding effort. Christ tells us the OT text of Moses is the Word of God.

And once you solve the exegesis issue regarding the intent of the Author and the meaning it would have to the contemporary readers - you have settled the actual meaning of what Christ called "The Word of God".

And the Second Person of the Trinity calls the writing of Moses "The Word of God" in this case.

Christ argues in Mark 7 that they are not allowed to go against it - because it is "The Word of God" -- and there He speaks to the religious magisterium of His day.

The Bible is accepted as "The Word of God".

once you exegete the text and know the intend meaning you have just discovered the intent - and meaning - of what Christ calls "The Word of God".

And that is huge.

Which is why Christians are so married to the idea of exegeting the text rather than eisegeting into it anything our external-agendas may wish.

But we don't have high-priests and prophets of "nature" or "creation" giving us infallible statements about it. Rather we have students, scientists with their own agendas giving us "the state of the guesswork" on any given speculation about origins.

So, of course, we don't really know this text is correct at all. We appropriate it as truth through faith.

Certainly the atheists and Hindus don't know it. I grant you that.

No, it doesn't. Most young-earth creationists would not refer to pagan creation accounts as historical

On the contrary all of them admit that the Pagans are trying their own historic timeline alternative for origins to the one that Bible provides.

That is a given. An irrefutable detail in the discussion.

And as Christians we also know that all of them are children of Noah - so all of them started off with the the right version.

based on the intention of the author and expected reception by his hearers. Most add a third criterion: not only must the author intend the account to be heard as history, not only must the audience receive it as history, it must also actually concord with known history.

Not too difficult when God is your source. Which is what Moses had.

Now, I think this is what you are aiming for. But to this point you have not explicitly added that third criterion. You have so far limited yourself to saying "It was the author's intent to record history". What you haven't said so far is "and what he wrote is actual history."

You yourself admit that the author was writing about a real 7 day week -- when one takes a look at the actual text.

I don't deny that.

As Christians we believe the Bible is trustworthy - and now even you admit that the Bible is actually intending to tell us about a 7 day week as creation week.

It just does not get any easier than that.

I will leave it to the physicists to comment on this. (Maybe Shernren can offer a comment). But I doubt that you understand Einstein.

You brought up the subject of motion and then when the point does not hold up by modern methods of science you want to bail??

It was your point to start with.

Neither of these was a hoped for result of the experiment. Therefore failure to produce these results is not a failure of the experiment.

Then you simply are not reading the material. That explains a lot.

The actual hoped for result was the production of organic molecules in an inorganic environment solely through unmediated chemical reactions. That result was achieved-

You dumbed-down the objective to the point of being an objective-to-prove-nothing.

then when nothing results you proclaim success??

The point was to demonstrate the reasonableness or lack-thereof for abiogenesis. There is a bazillion steps between having wood and having a 100 story building. There is even more between having 22 amino acids -- and actually being able to build something with them - that is along the way to a single living cell.

They failed to even produce the 22 amino acids and the ones they did produce were loused up in chiral orientation ratio -- so even they would not work as viable material.

How sad.... for them.

-not only in the first famous experiment but to a greater or lesser degree in dozens of follow-up experiments.

All demonstrating failure to come up with 'the starter set' they could not even reach 'the start" let alone show that the enterprise was possible at all!

How instructive for the unbiased objective reader.

But for the blind-faith-evolutionist "all news is good news".

how sad.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Ok Bob, let's break it down a little bit. I'm with you on the doctrine of creation in Genesis 1 but what do you think the doctrine of creation looks like in the New Testament. Original sin is a prime issue which is inextricably linked to the references to Adam in the New Testament. What is far more significant is the virgin birth, the incarnation, resurrection, new birth and of course, the translation of believers at the return of Christ.

I think you have been clear enough what you think of Genesis 1, why don't you relate it to how it's expressed in say John 1, Hebrews 1 or Romans 1?

Just curious if you are going somewhere with this.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Certainly the Gospel of John starts with the creation fact - such that distrusting the Word of God at the start destroys the basis for the Gospel because now the Savior/Creator is not trustworthy.

The miracles in the Bible regarding the resurrection and virgin birth are no more accepted by atheist evolutionists than a 7 day creation week. Trying to win them over with devotion to blind-faith-evolutionism won't go very far because even Darwin figured out that was a losing game.

And of course the future Judgment Rev 14:6-7 is also based on the creation fact -- even to the point of quoting the summary of Gen 1:2-2:3.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Certainly the Gospel of John starts with the creation fact - such that distrusting the Word of God at the start destroys the basis for the Gospel because now the Savior/Creator is not trustworthy.

The miracles in the Bible regarding the resurrection and virgin birth are no more accepted by atheist evolutionists than a 7 day creation week. Trying to win them over with devotion to blind-faith-evolutionism won't go very far because even Darwin figured out that was a losing game.

Ok, that sounds about right to me. Let's break it down a little bit. The Incarnation along with the virgin birth and predictive prophecies are requisite to the Gospel. The Nicene Creed echoes the opening lines of John's Gospel.

All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend [overcome] it. (John 1:3,4)​

I don't think you will get much argument that Christ being the author of life is essential doctrine, I've never seen a Theistic Evolutionist even try. What your up against is that as long as you dwell on Genesis 1 you will ever get beyond it.

And of course the future Judgment Rev 14:6-7 is also based on the creation fact -- even to the point of quoting the summary of Gen 1:2-2:3.

What about the Parousia, the return of Christ, final judgment and the promise of the Gospel regarding the translation of believers? If you leave the Creation event in Genesis 1 isolated the full impact of the New Testament is neutralized.

You have to ask yourself a very important question, what is the New Testament witness regarding Creation? If indeed Christ literally saves from sin and miracles are indeed essential to the Gospel then what bearing does that have on our faith?

Let's look at another one:

God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high. (Hebrews 1:1-3)​

Here the power of God and the promise of the Gospel are tied directly to Christ in glory at the right hand of the Father. This is echoed in the Nicene Creed as well and like I said, no Theistic Evolutionist would deny it.

Darwinism has managed to isolate creation from essential doctrine, if you would stand on the Gospel then you must start with it. In this short post, how many essential doctrines do you think are involved?

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Sadly for your response this is NOT a "he-said she-said" simpleton issue - this is a matter of what is actually in the text -- so glaringly obvious that even you admit that the text is talking about a real 7 day week even though it does not serve your interest to admit it.

Well, actually now, you have imported a concept from your external agenda that aligns you with typical creationists.

Up to now you have been arguing only that the biblical author intended to convey the 7 days as historical and this was also the typical way it was received by his audience. You have also argued the same about the non-biblical creation accounts--that both writers and those they were writing for understood the accounts as recorded history.

On this basis, all ancient creation accounts can be described as "historical narrative".

Most creationists however would draw a line between the supposed "historical narratives" of other peoples, labelling them falsehoods, myths, imaginary stories, not historical at all. Only the biblical account is typically referred to as "historical narrative" and is so called not primarily because of the author's intention, but because it is thought to be an actual record of real, objective history. IOW, had someone been there to film the events of these 7 days, this is what would show up on an undoctored, unedited film. It's not just a text. It is an account of actual, objective history.

By using the term "real" you align yourself with this position. However, you will find on re-reading my posts that I never took that position.

What I have admitted is the intention of the writer and the response of those he was writing to and for. I have not agreed that this intention-response concords with actual history outside of the text.

The text is one thing. History is another. There is no genre that guarantees a match between text and history.

How much more would the simple egyptian slaves 3500 years ago have taken the text at face value - that even you agree is most likely to be speaking about "six DAYS you shall labor...for in Six DAYS the Lord made" --- i.e. the obvious.

LOL. The irony is that you objected to my reference to a naive reading of the text, but you base your case on the same premise: that the people were too simple, by virtue of their generation and social position, to read it any other way.

And then you want to argue that this is necessarily the only correct way to understand the text? Why?

It is not even as if your argument is valid. We have no evidence that people of 3500 years ago were all simpletons. Nor that slaves are simpletons. True, there are simpletons in every generation; but there are also those who are wise in every generation. And in every social class as well.

In any case you already said it is most likely to be talking about 7 days - and in fact neither you nor anyone else makes a case against the 7 day week of Gen 1:2-2:3 and Ex 20:8-11 - FROM the text -

Quite right. In terms of the text, exegeting from the text, I don't think there is any case to be made against an ordinary 7-day week.

So, within the framework of the literary composition, we have 7 days. The issue is how the literary composition functioned within the Israelite culture and how it relates to the objective history of universe, planet and all peoples, not just the Israelites.

Your proposition, that the 7 non-figurative, non-symbolic days of the text are also real days in the chronology of the history of creation is not an exegesis from the text itself. It is an a priori meta-textual assumption about the nature of the text which you bring to bear on the text. It is you interpreting the text in light of your external agenda.

You keep arguing that intelligent reflection without any objection from biology, fossil records, radiometrics, geology was going to force the newly freed slaves of egypt to "invent" the text "Six days you shall labor...for in six indefinite eons of the Lord made..." no matter what the the actual text said to the contrary.

No, I am not at all. I agree the most probable understanding of the text for millennia was that it referred to an actual period of 7 days within the historic chronology of the created world. Personally, I am not aware of any questioning of the nature of the days until less than 2500 years ago. But there could have been oral discussions earlier. What we do have, in Philo, in Origen, in Augustine, etc. are clear indications that the nature of the days was a topic of discussion and this long before we had any physical evidence of deep time. So it was a strictly philosophical discussion about the text itself, without any objections from biology, fossil records, radiometrics, geology. But it was philosophic discussion among a highly-educated minority, not among those who actually participated in the Exodus some 1200-1500 years earlier.

Those who left Egypt following Moses were not able to study the text in detail, first because it had not been written yet when they met God at Sinai and also because they were largely illiterate anyway. (How many beside Moses could read and write? a few perhaps, but not more than a handful out of many thousands.) Written texts did not become a matter of significant study until the Exilic/post-Exilic era and only for the few (some 1-2% of the population) who had the education and leisure to do so.

What we can take from these philosophers is that it is possible, from a scrutiny of the text itself and the text alone, to conclude that the Genesis days were not ordinary days. And we can also recognize that this remained a fringe position until the physical reality of deep time forced the issue in the 18th-19th centuries. Now to the bare philosophical position grounded only in the written text, is added the testimony of the very creation itself. And clearly, this is a testimony a Christian cannot sweep aside and ignore.

We have also changed socially in that now most people are literate, and most people, even those with little formal education, have access to the ideas of theologians, scientists and philosophers and the means to discuss them widely. So what Philo could only discuss in a small circle of rabbis and circulate in written form to a few more now becomes grist for forums like these.

btw, I noted in another post that you describe yourself as a Young Life Creationist rather than as a Young Earth Creationist. How do you see a difference between these when the oldest available rocks on earth contain evidence of life?

Until we read the actual text. turns out Genesis is the real one - and the pagan options simply aren't much of an option even for theistic evolutionists - if they are Christian.

No. Reading the actual texts tells us nothing about which is "real". If one is Christian, one gives preference to the Genesis account, but not because of the text itself. The preference comes from being Christian. So it is an appropriation based on faith and has nothing to do with knowing this text is correct from textual exegesis itself. It is another aspect of an external agenda. Christians hold that the texts of the Old and New Testaments are divinely inspired and the pagan texts are not. That is creed, not knowledge.

On the contrary all of them [creationists] admit that the Pagans are trying their own historic timeline alternative for origins to the one that Bible provides.

True, but they still do not refer to them as "historical narratives" because they don't consider them to be true history.

You yourself admit that the author was writing about a real 7 day week -- when one takes a look at the actual text.

No, I grant that the author was writing about a literal 7 day week which he probably believed was real. I don't grant that it was a real 7 day week.

You brought up the subject of motion and then when the point does not hold up by modern methods of science you want to bail??

It was your point to start with.

Physics is not my bailiwick. I always turn to someone with more expertise to handle issues of physics. And that was not my point.

My point was that the inclusion of stars in Gen. 1:16 means the Genesis account refers to the whole visible universe, not just our local system as you previously averred.

Then you simply are not reading the material. That explains a lot.

You dumbed-down the objective to the point of being an objective-to-prove-nothing.

On the contrary--you are reading people who misrepresented the purpose of the experiment, adding in claims that were never originally made for it.

Take abiogenesis. Could abiogenesis occur through the operation of the natural laws with which God imbued his creation? At this point over 60 years after the Urey-Miller experiment, we still have no answer to this question. If there is such a possibility, the process must have been complex enough to require many stages. No single experiment could demonstrate the reasonableness of abiogenesis via natural laws of spontaneous chemical interactions.

However, a single experiment can demonstrate the unreasonableness of such a process. Take a single crucial step in such a process and see if it can happen. If it cannot, the natural process of abiogenesis is unreasonable.

One such crucial step is the self-assembly of organic molecules, any organic molecules, in an inorganic environment.

That is what the Urey-Miller experiment was about. Had no organic molecules of any kind been produced in that experiment or any variation on that experiment, the conclusion would be that the eventual production of life via natural process was highly improbable.

The natural production of organic molecules in an inorganic environment is a necessary step if abiogenesis is to occur naturally. But it is by no means a sufficient step. Many other things would have to occur as well. This experiment showed that one thing which must have happened for natural abiogenesis to be plausible could have happened. But it also tells us only about that one thing. So it was a breakthrough of some significance in the research on the origin of life.

But it was no guarantee that life could have a natural origin. That will only come if and when all steps have been shown to be possible: likely only when an artificial biological form is actually produced in a laboratory.

then when nothing results you proclaim success??

The spontaneous production of even one single organic molecule in an inorganic environment is a huge success for science! And many more than one molecule was produced.

There is a bazillion steps between having wood and having a 100 story building.

Exactly. That is why the experiment never was an all-out complete description of a process of abiogenesis. It has always shown that one crucial step was an actual possibility and no more than that. But it is a hugely crucial step. Without this step, no natural means of abiogenesis exists. Without it, one might as well close up shop on research into the origin of life. But with it, one can consider other crucial aspects of a possible route from non-life to life through natural means.

There is even more between having 22 amino acids -- and actually being able to build something with them - that is along the way to a single living cell.

They failed to even produce the 22 amino acids and the ones they did produce were loused up in chiral orientation ratio -- so even they would not work as viable material.

Again, true, but the point of the experiment was not to produce a living cell. It was to see if a totally inorganic environment could produce organic molecules.

Nor was the point of the experiment to produce all 22 amino acids used in biological entities. It would be enough to produce one of them. And it actually produced more than one.

Nor was the point of the experiment to produce the chiral relation of amino acids found in biological entities. It was to see if any organic molecules at all could be produced from an inorganic environment.

No scientist familiar with the history of the Urey-Miller experiment would claim it answered all the questions about the origin of life. There is certainly on-going research on many other relevant issues. But no scientist would describe the Urey-Miller experiment as less than a resounding success. The experiment produced the results actually sought for at the time in spades and gave a huge boost to continued origin of life research.

Your pseudo-history of the Urey-Miller experiment is a typical straw-man construction filled with pseudo-claims never proposed by the scientists involved at all.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Ok, that sounds about right to me. Let's break it down a little bit. The Incarnation along with the virgin birth and predictive prophecies are requisite to the Gospel. The Nicene Creed echoes the opening lines of John's Gospel.
All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend [overcome] it. (John 1:3,4)​
I don't think you will get much argument that Christ being the author of life is essential doctrine, I've never seen a Theistic Evolutionist even try. What your up against is that as long as you dwell on Genesis 1 you will ever get beyond it.

Genesis 1-3 is foundational to the entire Bible. like a house of cards - destroy Christ the Creator as a trustworthy God able to accurately stated the origin of life, the origin of man, the sinless state, the fall, the need of salvation - and you destroy the entire Gospel.

It is more than a little "obvious' that John writing John 1 - was a Jew that read and fully accepted Genesis 1.

He was not a Darwinist.

He was not inclined to write evolutionism-into-the-text and even atheists will admit this.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
We all agree that those arguing against the 7 day creation timeline as given in the Bible do so in spite of the details listed below - not "because of them".

Anyone wanting/wishing/hoping to show that Moses' text is arguing against a 7 day timeline for creation week -- and equating it to our 7 day week the best place to start with that externally-motivated agenda is probably here --

=========================

Gen 1

24 Then God said, “Let the earth bring forth the living creature according to its kind: cattle and creeping thing and beast of the earth, each according to its kind”; and it was so. 25 And God made the beast of the earth according to its kind, cattle according to its kind, and everything that creeps on the earth according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.
26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”
29 And God said, “See, I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food. 30 Also, to every beast of the earth, to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, in which there is life, I have given every green herb for food”; and it was so. 31 Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good. So the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Gen 2
Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. 2 And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.
4 This is the history of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens

Ex 20:8-11 "SIX days you shall labor...for in SIX Days the Lord MADE ...."

Need even more help??

Ex 20:11
11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

It appears that everyone on this thread has admitted that the Bible is describing a real 7 day timeline especially given that "locked in stone" iron-clad legal document in Ex 20:8-11.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
And in this distilled post below -- you essentially admit to the salient points in my argument above.

Right. What argues against the 7-day timeline is not in the text; it is in the revelation we call the creation or created order. It clearly has a much longer history which includes evolution. And we believe it was made by the God depicted in the scripture as the creator. ...

Since I believe God gave us both the created world, which clearly has an ancient history extending back billions of years, and the sacred text which includes a narrative in which creation was completed in pretty much modern form in one week

I would say
that God was not imparting history in the inspired scripture. I take it the narrative of Genesis has a different function. No doubt it was taken as history when there was little awareness of the factual history of the earth.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
And in this distilled post below -- you essentially admit to the salient points in my argument above.

Right. I have not disagreed that the days of Genesis 1 are literal in the sense that the most commonly-understood meaning of "day" is a single-cycle of night and day described in Genesis as "there was evening, there was morning, one day" etc.

But I also contend that they are literary days, not historical days. They function as literal days in the text, but cannot function as actual days in the history of the planet (or universe).

How do we know this? Because the creation itself tells us so.
And it is important to listen to the creation.
How do we know this? Because the scriptures tell us so.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Right. I have not disagreed that the days of Genesis 1 are literal in the sense that the most commonly-understood meaning of "day" is a single-cycle of night and day described in Genesis as "there was evening, there was morning, one day" etc.

But I also contend that they are literary days, not historical days. They function as literal days in the text, but cannot function as actual days in the history of the planet (or universe).

We all agree that those arguing against the 7 day creation timeline as given in the Bible do so in spite of the details listed below - not "because of them".

Originally Posted by BobRyan
Anyone wanting/wishing/hoping to show that Moses' text is arguing against a 7 day timeline for creation week -- and equating it to our 7 day week the best place to start with that externally-motivated agenda is probably here --

=========================

Gen 1

24 Then God said, “Let the earth bring forth the living creature according to its kind: cattle and creeping thing and beast of the earth, each according to its kind”; and it was so. 25 And God made the beast of the earth according to its kind, cattle according to its kind, and everything that creeps on the earth according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.
26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”
29 And God said, “See, I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food. 30 Also, to every beast of the earth, to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, in which there is life, I have given every green herb for food”; and it was so. 31 Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good. So the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Gen 2
Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. 2 And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.
4 This is the history of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens

Ex 20:8-11 "SIX days you shall labor...for in SIX Days the Lord MADE ...."

Need even more help??

Ex 20:11
11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
It appears that everyone on this thread has admitted that the Bible is describing a real 7 day timeline especially given that "locked in stone" iron-clad legal document in Ex 20:8-11.

=====================================

And in your post above you agree that the text is speaking of real literal 7 days in Creation week - and that you have only your outside-the-text-agenda (which neither Moses nor his group of newly freed egyptian slaves had) for speculating against the clear 7 day timeline given in the text.

How instructive for the unbiased objective Bible reader.

You virtually admit to the entire point of my post.

It is only your devotion to evolutionism that leads you to argue against the 7 day timeline in the text. A blind faith devotion to evolutionism - that you already admit neither Moses nor his readers would have had.

Which is key to the point I am trying to make.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Blind faith speculation "tells" you to insert/bend/wrench ideas into the Genesis 1-2 text that you freely admit - Moses would not have had. There is nothing in all he wrote saying that he believed life on earth to be millions or billions of years old.

That was your first mistake.

Your second is that you "believe" that the wild speculations you are making in regard to nature - is 'nature telling you something' instead of your imagination speculating on pre-history - past events.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP

And in your post above you agree that the text is speaking of real literal 7 days in Creation week - and that you have only your outside-the-text-agenda (which neither Moses nor his group of newly freed egyptian slaves had) for speculating against the clear 7 day timeline given in the text.

No. I agree that the text is speaking of literal days, but not that it is speaking of real days. And this is far from a recent idea; it has been part of Judaic and Christian tradition for 2 millennia now.

How instructive for the unbiased objective Bible reader.

Very much so. When we stop obsessing about "literal" and "real" we can open ourselves to an immensely deep and valuable teaching on the relation of Creator to creation. There is so much that is so very more important than how many hours/years/eons did it take for creation as we know it to come into being. After all, the purpose of creation is much more important than the mechanics or timing of it.

It is only your devotion to evolutionism that leads you to argue against the 7 day timeline in the text.

You are not listening to me. I don't argue against the 7-day timeline in the text.
But the text is not history. The text is not science. The text is beautiful theology.

Further, I adopted this approach to the interpretation of Genesis 3 decades before I began looking at evolution. So it was not the science that took me away from thinking Genesis gives us a history of creation. In addition, that the 7-day time-line of Genesis is an accommodation to human frailty is an idea as old as Christianity itself and has always been at least a minority view in the church. The Church Fathers and others that spoke in favour of not treating the days of Genesis as ordinary days most certainly had no devotion to "evolutionism" which they had never heard of.

btw, I have no devotion to "evolutionism" either. I do have respect for facts and for truth. But that doesn't require an emotional investment in a belief. Evolution (NOT "evolutionism") is not a belief; it is a well-supported fact.

I have no idea just what you think "evolutionism" is, but I want no part of it.

A blind faith devotion to evolutionism - that you already admit neither Moses nor his readers would have had.

Right. Scripture makes no reference to evolution, nor to deep time, nor to deep space. I have re-iterated that many times. For that matter it makes no reference to galaxies, electricity, bacteria and dozens of other things we take for granted.

Blind faith speculation "tells" you to insert/bend/wrench ideas into the Genesis 1-2 text that you freely admit - Moses would not have had. There is nothing in all he wrote saying that he believed life on earth to be millions or billions of years old.

That is not my mistake. You again make the mistake of not listening to me.

As I just said above, I fully concur that many modern concepts, evolution among them, are not referenced in scripture at all. I refuse to put such ideas in Genesis because they are simply not there. And if someone tells me Moses believed life on earth to be millions or billions of years old, I say he was lying about Moses.

But it is still a fact that life is billions of years old, whether Moses believed it or not.

Your second is that you "believe" that the wild speculations you are making in regard to nature - is 'nature telling you something' instead of your imagination speculating on pre-history - past events.

I don't believe any wild speculations. Calling well-established facts and well-supported theories "wild speculations" is nothing but an excuse for rejecting them sight unseen. This is merely denialism, not any sort of real engagement with the very creation you claim to defend.

When you are willing to engage directly with creation, in the knowledge that it is God's message to you, and prepared to reach your conclusions about the natural world based on actual knowledge of it, then we can pursue a conversation on what it says about itself.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

in Christ,

Bob

Why do you always insist that only belief in evolution would cause someone to reject the idea that creation was accomplished in seven real days, when you know quite well, because people keep pointing it out, that many early church fathers also believed it did not happen in seven days?

Clearly, there are other reasons, that have nothing to do with evolution, that people might think that.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
A stray misfire has happened all throughout history - but only after Darwin's document was completed in 1844 did it start to find real traction in Christendom to attack the Bible's 7 day timeline for the creation of life on this planet found in Gen 1:2-2:3 and summarized in legal code in Ex 20:8-11.

"SIX days you shall labor...for in SIX DAYS the Lord made..." a point that was sooo incredibly clear the jews at Sinai figured out how long a week was supposed to last.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The fact that "outside agendas" are brought in to eisegete long ages into the 7 day timeline of Gen 1:2-2:3 and Ex 20:8-11 is beyond dispute.

As for the history of just when it became popular in Christianity to bend-wrench-eisegete the text in favor of an outside agenda...

BRIEF HISTORICAL OVERVIEW

The prevailing view in the 17th century was the days of creation were 24-hour periods and the creation was approximately 6,000 years old. This 6,000 year time-frame was based on compilations of the Genesis genealogies done by Archbishop James Ussher and theologian John Lightfoot around A.D. 1650. Based on the ages of patriarchs in the genealogies, both Ussher and Lightfoot concluded the universe, earth, and life were created in 4004 B.C.
In the 18th and 19th centuries, new data from geology and paleontology established the earth was millions of years old, which conflicted greatly with Ussher and Lightfoot. In 1857, Philip Gosse (1810-1888), a British preacher and self-trained biologist, proposed a solution to this dilemma. Because Gosse felt obligated to uphold Ussher’s 4004 B.C. creation date, he proposed God had created the world with the “appearance of age”–although the creation appeared to be ancient, it was actually only 6,000 years old.6 For instance, Gosse argued trees were created with growth rings in place, coral reefs were created fully-developed, and rocks were created with fossils in them.7 Although Gosse’s theory was rejected during his lifetime, some young-earth creationists continue to promote the “appearance of age” view, most notably in the area of astronomy.8
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Professor William Henry Green (1825-1900) and distinguished theologian Benjamin B. Warfield (1851-1921) noted gaps and omissions in the Genesis genealogies. This suggested the creation was substantially older than the 6,000-year timeframe Ussher and Lightfoot had proposed.

The Six Days of Creation: A Closer Look at Scripture
and another

From “Detroit Baptist Seminary Journal” 2000 (DBS/ 5(fall 2000): 97-123
“A Defense of Literal Days in the Creation Week” by Robert V. Mccabe

“since the days of the Reformation, with a renewed and more consistent emphasis on a grammatical-historical hermeneutic, a literal interpretation of the creation days has been the prevailing view of orthodox Christianity.”

https://www.dbts.edu/journals/2000/mccabe.pdf

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
and another survey of history --

As we look at views of the creation days after Westminster, we find little if any difference over the matter within the Reformed community until the nineteenth century. The earliest commentators on the Confession and Catechisms (Watson, Vincent, Ridgeley, Henry, Fisher, Doolittle, Willison, Boston, Brown and others) affirm “six days” without the kind of specificity that John Lightfoot provides, reject the Augustinian view, and generally concentrate more on the assertion of creation ex nihilo. This suggests that there was no significant diversity on the matter of the nature of the creation days in the Reformed community between 1650 and 1800.Indeed, it would be 1845 before a commentary on the Confession or Catechisms would explicitly discuss varying views of the Genesis days.[18]

At the turn of the nineteenth century, prior to Darwin and in the wake of the new geology, Reformed Christians began to take a different look at the Genesis days. It was during this time that the two oldest alternatives to the Calendar Day view were developed: the Gap Theory and the Day-Age view. The Gap Theory was held by Thomas Chalmers and for a time by Charles Hodge. It is found in the original Scofield Bible. The Day-Age view, in varying forms and with varying emphases was adopted by orthodox Reformed divines on both sides of the Atlantic: Charles and A. A. Hodge, Warfield, Shedd and others in America, Shaw, Miller, James Orr, and Donald MacDonald in Britain. Kuyper and Bavinck in the Netherlands did not hold to the Calendar Day view, but are difficult to categorize in our terms. Meanwhile, the Calendar Day view continued to be articulated alongside these newer views by significant theologians and educators in Britain and America: Hugh Martin in Scotland, Ashbel Green, Robert L. Dabney, John L. Girardeau in the United States.
PCA Historical Center: Creation Study Committee Report to the 28th General Assembly, June 21, 2000

Challenges to the 7 day timeline start in the 19th century in earnest - beginning with geology and then Darwin... all external agendas - nothing from the text itself.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
A stray misfire has happened all throughout history - but only after Darwin's document was completed in 1844 did it start to find real traction in Christendom to attack the Bible's 7 day timeline for the creation of life on this planet found in Gen 1:2-2:3 and summarized in legal code in Ex 20:8-11.

"SIX days you shall labor...for in SIX DAYS the Lord made..." a point that was sooo incredibly clear the jews at Sinai figured out how long a week was supposed to last.

No - not a stray misfire as you have been told many times.

A whole school of thought in the early church - and one that was considered acceptable to hold.

You keep saying that people only would have one reason to take a different view than your own. That is an outright lie, you have been told many times by many people that this is an argument that predates evolutionary theory by over 1000 years, you have been told by many people that their reasons are as much about the internal evidence of the text as anything else.

You are presenting a manipulative and untrue account, while knowing the facts are otherwise, in order to accuse others of being unchristian.

How do you account for that.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I keep stating that the people who argue against the Bible on this subject - are admitting on this very thread that they do it in service to an "outside agenda" an agenda they "bring to the text".

The facts -- about the "two oldest challenges to the 24 hour day statements in Genesis 1" come from the late 18th and 19th centuries.

Even you - make no case at all against the Bible's 7 day week - from the actual text that states it. You even quote one of the difficult challenges to your own preference and speculation - then respond by completely avoiding the text altogether -- as if that is a compelling solution. The text you quoted as given to by me in my post was...

The crickets...crickets silence in your post to that text reference you quoted is "instructive".

So also this quote from a group that would love to promote blind faith evolutionism.

As we look at views of the creation days after Westminster, we find little if any difference over the matter within the Reformed community until the nineteenth century.

At the turn of the nineteenth century, prior to Darwin and in the wake of the new geology, Reformed Christians began to take a different look at the Genesis days. It was during this time that the two oldest alternatives to the Calendar Day view were developed: the Gap Theory and the Day-Age view. The Gap Theory was held by Thomas Chalmers and for a time by Charles Hodge. It is found in the original Scofield Bible.

As we look at views of the creation days after Westminster, we find little if any difference over the matter within the Reformed community until the nineteenth century. The earliest commentators on the Confession and Catechisms (Watson, Vincent, Ridgeley, Henry, Fisher, Doolittle, Willison, Boston, Brown and others) affirm “six days” without the kind of specificity that John Lightfoot provides, reject the Augustinian view, and generally concentrate more on the assertion of creation ex nihilo. This suggests that there was no significant diversity on the matter of the nature of the creation days in the Reformed community between 1650 and 1800.Indeed, it would be 1845 before a commentary on the Confession or Catechisms would explicitly discuss varying views of the Genesis days.[18]

At the turn of the nineteenth century, prior to Darwin and in the wake of the new geology, Reformed Christians began to take a different look at the Genesis days. It was during this time that the two oldest alternatives to the Calendar Day view were developed: the Gap Theory and the Day-Age view. The Gap Theory was held by Thomas Chalmers and for a time by Charles Hodge. It is found in the original Scofield Bible. The Day-Age view, in varying forms and with varying emphases was adopted by orthodox Reformed divines on both sides of the Atlantic: Charles and A. A. Hodge, Warfield, Shedd and others in America, Shaw, Miller, James Orr, and Donald MacDonald in Britain. Kuyper and Bavinck in the Netherlands did not hold to the Calendar Day view, but are difficult to categorize in our terms. Meanwhile, the Calendar Day view continued to be articulated alongside these newer views by significant theologians and educators in Britain and America: Hugh Martin in Scotland, Ashbel Green, Robert L. Dabney, John L. Girardeau in the United States.
PCA Historical Center: Creation Study Committee Report to the 28th General Assembly, June 21, 2000

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You are presenting a manipulative and untrue account, while knowing the facts are otherwise, in order to accuse others of being unchristian.

How do you account for that.

Your attempt to put words in my mouth are not as wildly successful as you may have at first imagined to yourself.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
[FONT=&quot]Originally Posted by gluadys[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Right. I have not disagreed that the days of Genesis 1 are literal in the sense that the most commonly-understood meaning of "day" is a single-cycle of night and day described in Genesis as "there was evening, there was morning, one day" etc.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

How do we know this? Because the scriptures tell us so[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We all agree that those arguing against the 7 day creation timeline as given in the Bible do so in spite of the details listed below - not "because of them".

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Originally Posted by BobRyan [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Anyone wanting/wishing/hoping to show that Moses' text is arguing against a 7 day timeline for creation week -- and equating it to our 7 day week the best place to start with that externally-motivated agenda is probably here --

[/FONT]

No. I agree that the text is speaking of literal days, but not that it is speaking of real days.

A "distinction without a difference" if you are just speaking of the meaning of "the text".

But if you mean "The text is speaking of literal days but I DO NOT ACCEPT that as reflecting real history" -- then you are simply restating my same point about your position as if it is an objection -- even as you affirm it.

You claim to know and admit to the meaning of the text - you just deny its historicity. You deny that it is historically accurate.

Here is someone that agrees with you... BTW

[FONT=&quot]One leading Hebrew scholar is James Barr, Professor of Hebrew Bible at Vanderbilt University and former Regius Professor of Hebrew at Oxford University in England. Although he does not believe in the historicity of Genesis 1, Dr. Barr does agree that the writer's intent was to narrate the actual history of primeval creation. Others also agree with him. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Probably, so far as I know, there is no professor of Hebrew or Old Testament at any world-class university who does not believe that the writer(s) of Genesis 1-11 intended to convey to their readers the ideas that (a) creation took place in a series of six days which were the same as the days of 24 hours we now experience; . . . Or, to put it negatively, the apologetic arguments which suppose the "days" of creation to be long eras of time, the figures of years not to be chronological, and the flood to be a merely local Mesopotamian flood, are not taken seriously by any such professors, as far as I know. [/FONT]
3 James Barr, letter to David Watson, 1984.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

And this is far from a recent idea; it has been part of Judaic and Christian tradition for 2 millennia now.
A few stray misfires do not make it the prevailing view in Christendom.

And we all know that.

Very much so. When we stop obsessing about "literal" and "real" we can open ourselves to an immensely deep and valuable teaching on the relation of Creator to creation.
Obsessing on what the Bible actually says instead of making up stories about how it does not say - what it actually says?? I find the choices you offer to be less than convincing.

There is so much that is so very more important than how many hours/years/eons did it take for creation as we know it to come into being. After all, the purpose of creation is much more important than the mechanics or timing of it.
Any excuse will do when it comes to "toying with the text"???

This is why Christian Theistic evolutionists have so much more difficulty on the subject then their non-Christian cousins. For the non-Christian TE it is a simple matter to ignore the text. to admit it says one thing while you preach another .. etc.

But for the Christians who accepts the Bible - who rejects eisegetical "inserts" who rejects the idea of "make it say whatever your outside agenda needs".... well you have a problem houston.

You are not listening to me. I don't argue against the 7-day timeline in the text.
But the text is not history.
then you place yourself admittedly at odds with the Bible and seem to be happy to do it.

The text is not science. The text is beautiful theology.
It is "the details" of the text that you are dismissing - that are appealed to in God's Law and in the Gospels.

Now that you admit that the details are indeed pointing to 7 literal days - you have a problem. But only because you are a Christian TE --- otherwise you would not have that problem.

Since you appear to be more comfortable talking about science/philosophy rather than the text that you admit to be talking about literal 24 days and admit to saying it is not accurate/trustworthy because the origin event(s) in your mind happened in real life the way atheist evolutionists imagine them -- not as God stated it in the actual Bible. .. I offer you this thread "instead" -- #1

Further, I adopted this approach to the interpretation of Genesis 3 decades before I began looking at evolution. So it was not the science that took me away from thinking Genesis gives us a history of creation.
How humorous then that you only give your impressions about science and what you think it says about nature - in opposition to the text as "real".

In addition, that the 7-day time-line of Genesis is an accommodation to human frailty is an idea as old as Christianity itself and has always been at least a minority view in the church. The Church Fathers and others that spoke in favour of not treating the days of Genesis as ordinary days most certainly had no devotion to "evolutionism" which they had never heard of.
A few misfires at best. The prevailing view in Christendom was literal 24 hour days. Objections to it were either in the form "oh no 7 days is wayy to long - it all happened instantly" the way Augustine argued it - or else real 24 hour days where 2 or 3 of them had light and dark on both sides instead of the normal format with a rotating planet.

you are stuck looking for a prevailing view among Protestants other than 24 hour days until the early 19th century.

And you are probably just as stuck when it comes to Catholics.

But it is still a fact that life is billions of years old, whether Moses believed it or not.
To be honest - you believe Moses was wrong because you believe that he wrote it as 7 literal days and that is what his contemporary readers also understood about the text.

Your self-conflicted compromised position when expressed as a Christian T.E -- noted.

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited:
Upvote 0