Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There would seem to be some differences about Creation as doctrine and the apologetic effort known as Creation Science. I'm not going to lay out the doctrine as it is expressed in the Nicene Creed, the Genesis account and the New Testament witness. We will get to that if it becomes an issue. I'm simply asking what you think about Creation as doctrine. What is essential and what we are left to our own devices to decide for ourselves.

Your thoughts...

Grace and peace,
Mark

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi mark,

Well, for me, it all boils down to what is the truth.

When God created this realm in which we live; the universe of stars and planets and asteroids and such and the earth and all that is in and on it, the appearance and existence of the physical bodies of this universe came to exist. God has given us an explanation of how all of this came to exist and a fairly rough time frame of when it all came to exist. Now, I don't believe that God causes to be written in His revelation of Himself to mankind anything that He doesn't want us to know and understand. Yes, some things are more easily understood than others - specifically speaking of the prophetic passages - but I believe that even these He caused to be written for our understanding and discernment. So, simply because God's word does discuss the time and events of the creation account, I believe that He wants us to understand these things also.

I don't think that the time and events of the creation are necessarily something that a new born again person will understand immediately. But the Scriptures show throughout the history of Israel and the knowledge of the first apostles, that those who are faithful to God build a knowledge and understanding of all that God is and all that God has done as they persevere in their faith. Daniel didn't know from day one that Israel's years of suffering and captivity were coming to an end, but rather as he pored over and read the writings of his predecessor Jeremiah, he came to understand this.

Secondly, I think it fairly logical to understand that this universe in which we live did come about in some specific way. Either God just spoke all the heavenly bodies and the earth and all that is in it to exist in a perfect and fully formed construct or God caused the as yet incomplete pieces of the universe and the earth to come together over some wide stretch of time to be the perfect and fully formed construct that we now see.

In the physical reality of history of how things are what we see today, only one of these explanations can be true. I believe that God has been fairly clear in explaining how He did it. He said He did it in the span of six days and he defined each of those days as consisting of a morning and an evening. He said that He made the earth before He made all the stars of the universe as He explained His work of each day.

Now, because we have great and learned men who have given of their life's work to find that there is another explanation that seems, on the surface, to be firmly grounded in a proven and rationally explainable model, we would rather believe what these men tell us rather than what God has told us. But, for me, this 'proven and rationally explainable model' collapses when I understand that what God did in creating this realm; what God did in flooding the earth; what God did in bringing the plagues upon Egypt; what God did in parting the sea and bringing water out of a rock and covering the ground with food (manna) and stopping the sun in its course across the sky and causing a woman who had never had sexual relations with a man to be pregnant, are miracles. They are events that happened not by any natural law of how the physical parts of the universe operate, but rather they are events that God said, "I want this to happen!", and it did.

Friend, if we take just the event of the Israelites crossing through the sea as it is written, it is utterly and completely impossible to explain by the natural properties of water that we know and depend on and design great engineering feats to work with, that water can stand as a wall. Unaided by any physical support, water will always seek level. That is one of the simplest tried and true physical properties of water that has stood the test of time for dozens of centuries.

Now, some will say that hurricanes and tornadoes and some sort of super strong wind can cause water to back up and I would absolutely agree and the Scriptures do even tell us that God did use a strong wind to drive the water back, but...

I lived through one of the strongest hurricanes to ever hit the U.S. (Andrew). My home was less than a few thousand feet from where the eye came on land and I have never experienced such sheer destructive force of wind again, but I was there and I didn't see, even in that, a duplication of the effect on the water that is described in the account of what happened outside of Egypt. Yes, the tides were much greater, but all the water still basically maintained its natural property of seeking level and there wasn't any great chasm of dry land behind it even as it passed over the shallow Biscayne Bay. I have seen fairly strong water spouts come across Biscayne Bay and while they do suck up a lot of water, there isn't any dry pathway left behind it. As it passes over an area the surrounding water just immediately fills in any place that is lowered due to what the water spout may have sucked up. Further, even if these forces could recreate what the account of the sea crossing seems to clearly explain, no man could walk within such a force with pots and pans and animals and children.

So, it seems to me that God just held back the water by His own power. He just said let this thing happen and it did! My point being that when God works, He works outside of just what would naturally happen based on the natural properties of things. But, of course, when God created the universe and caused things to be what they are, these things still exist for us to poke and prod and study and try to determine how they came to be. But if God did just speak these things into existence and all perfectly formed as they needed to be formed to sustain life for thousands and thousands of years, what evidence would I find to prove that? If the earth, in order to have a super hot molten core and dirt on top, had to be made with layers and layers of other soils and rock strata in order that it continue to exist; wouldn't God have made it that way? Scientists dig down through all of that and tell us that all these layers had to be laid out over a great expanse of time and yet the real truth could just be that God created it with all that we see because with His knowledge of all things and greatest wisdom, built it that way.

I believe on faith that God has given me a correct explanation of the how and when all things were created and I'm not willing to substitute the wisdom and knowledge of man (666) for the wisdom and knowledge of God (777). Now, your question is: Does this make any difference to God? My faith says that God does expect those who He calls faithful to believe Him.

This same principle applies to religious beliefs. There are all kinds of religious beliefs in the world. Man (666) has come up with all sorts of gods and practices that he believes answers our spiritual needs, but God (777) has given us a perfectly good explanation for who He is. Does it matter to God whether we believe man (666) and follow after just any kind of faith in just any kind of god or does He expect His faithful ones to believe that He is the one true and living God and that only the things that He has revealed to us about worshiping and honoring and serving Him are the truth?

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
There would seem to be some differences about Creation as doctrine and the apologetic effort known as Creation Science. I'm not going to lay out the doctrine as it is expressed in the Nicene Creed, the Genesis account and the New Testament witness. We will get to that if it becomes an issue. I'm simply asking what you think about Creation as doctrine. What is essential and what we are left to our own devices to decide for ourselves.

Your thoughts...

Grace and peace,
Mark

I think the Nicene Creed does set out the essentials very well.

It answers the questions Papias sets out:

What: All things visible and invisible
Why: God's will, God's love
Who: God in three persons: all the persons of the Trinity are engaged in creation.

Nothing else is essential to the doctrine of creation. Those who hold that the how and when of creation are essential are not really speaking about the doctrine of creation. They are speaking about the doctrine of inspiration as it applies to the scriptures and what that means to them in terms of how to interpret the scriptures in light of modern knowledge about the created cosmos.

So you might like to pose a parallel question on that issue.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Nothing else is essential to the doctrine of creation. Those who hold that the how and when of creation are essential are not really speaking about the doctrine of creation. They are speaking about the doctrine of inspiration as it applies to the scriptures and what that means to them in terms of how to interpret the scriptures in light of modern knowledge about the created cosmos.

That is part of it, but I'm not sure it's as easy to separate the two as you indicate. Further, this is only 1 of 3 connected issues that converge on the example of creation.

The second would be how creation relates to spirit. God speaks of saving people for a future life after death, but he doesn't speak of doing that for other animals. It could be he doesn't speak to us about that simply because he's not called us to that mission. I doubt that, but regardless it means we are making distinctions between ourselves and other animals, and the Biblical basis for that distinction seems to be spirit - that we were created with a salvic spirit. It is a distinction that evolution does not make, and so we as Christians need to maintain the reason for that distinction, and the resulting discussion is rooted in creation. We were created differently than other animals.

Third, God is real. To me that means He acts in history. For us to say we have no examples of Him acting in history, that Genesis is allegorical but not historical, is to make Him a fluffy metaphysical nicety like the gods of other religions. Some people don't have a problem relating to God only on that metaphysical plane, but some people do. For me, Christianity would unravel if the conversation went as:

Unbeliever: Can God interact with us?
Me: Yes.
Unbeliever: Do you have examples of that?
Me: Yes, I think about God.
Unbeliever: No, I mean, does He physically interact with you?
Me: He can.
Unbeliever: Do you have examples of that?
Me: Umm ....
Unbeliever: Isn't the Bible supposed to have examples of that?
Me: No, the Bible isn't historical.

Similarly, it also unravels if I start saying the NT is historical, but the OT isn't. Or Kings & Chronicles is, but Genesis isn't. Or Joseph is but Adam isn't. It just doesn't work.

Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
That is part of it, but I'm not sure it's as easy to separate the two as you indicate. Further, this is only 1 of 3 connected issues that converge on the example of creation.

The second would be how creation relates to spirit. God speaks of saving people for a future life after death, but he doesn't speak of doing that for other animals. It could be he doesn't speak to us about that simply because he's not called us to that mission. I doubt that, but regardless it means we are making distinctions between ourselves and other animals, and the Biblical basis for that distinction seems to be spirit - that we were created with a salvic spirit.

I think you are missing a good deal of what the bible has to say about the non-human creation. Is there a presentation of paradise that does not include non-humans in the bible? I don't think so. A river flows from the throne of God. Trees line its banks. Lions and lambs, oxen and bears, scorpions and adders all have a place. In the great antiphonal chorus praising God, the voice of the angels is answered by an earthly chorus of "every creature" -- not humans alone, but every creature. Salvation is for the world, not just one species in the world. John does not tell us God so loved people, but God so loved the world--all of it, everything he has made.

Humans were made with a special responsibility: to be caretakers of creation, of every creature; humans are a special focus of redemption because we abandoned that vocation to follow our own egotistic desires. God works to save us, not because in ourselves we are something different, but because the world needs us to be saved so that the world can be saved. Hence the eager longing Paul speaks of as the created world anticipates the revealing of the children of God, and its release from futility. The salvation of the world requires that we resume our original vocation to serve the world. All this is in scripture and you miss it.

It is a distinction that evolution does not make,

Evolution doesn't unmake the distinction either. It is a matter irrelevant to science. Evolution is not about theology or our relation to God.

Third, God is real. To me that means He acts in history.

I agree.

For us to say we have no examples of Him acting in history,

I don't think any Christian here is saying that, so let's not go overboard.

that Genesis is allegorical but not historical, is to make Him a fluffy metaphysical nicety like the gods of other religions.

Well, that is not precisely what allegory is about. Just because an event is told in allegorical style doesn't mean the event itself is not historical. An allegory is a pictographic way of presenting something that is real.

Some people don't have a problem relating to God only on that metaphysical plane, but some people do. For me, Christianity would unravel if the conversation went as:

[snip]

Similarly, it also unravels if I start saying the NT is historical, but the OT isn't. Or Kings & Chronicles is, but Genesis isn't. Or Joseph is but Adam isn't. It just doesn't work.

Again, you are projecting assumptions. How often we use "Genesis" to mean only the first 6-11 chapters of Genesis, forgetting that most of the book deals with people who were most probably historical. As for the NT it is neither more nor less historical than Genesis or any part of the OT. There is no hard and fast dividing line between history and metaphor in any part of the bible. One has to analyze every writer's work and even every part of every writer's work, for there is no writer who always writes pure history nor any who always writes purely mystically. The text has to lead, not presuppositions about it or theological bias.

That is why I said that most of the controversy about creation is really a controversy about the doctrine of inspiration and what it means for the interpretation of scripture, not really about what is relevant to the doctrine of creation.

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

I believe that God has made me and all creatures; that He has given me my body and soul, eyes, ears, and all my limbs, my reason, and all my senses, and still preserves them; in addition thereto, clothing and shoes, meat and drink, house and homestead, wife and children, fields, cattle, and all my goods; that He provides me richly and daily with all that I need to support this body and life, protects me from all danger, and guards me and preserves me from all evil; and all this out of pure, fatherly, divine goodness and mercy, without any merit or worthiness in me; for all which I owe it to Him to thank, praise, serve, and obey Him. This is most certainly true.

- From Martin Luther's Small Catechism, The Creed, Explanation of Article One

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think you are missing a good deal of what the bible has to say about the non-human creation.

And I think you're missing what I was saying. I basically agree with these first 2 paragraphs you wrote, but I think you apply them toward a different end. The way you present it obscures God's desire to save people (1 Tim 2:4) - that he specifically speaks of saving people. Sure, the whole world will be made perfect - it would be odd for redeemed people to live in a fallen heaven - but it is people God is saving.

My point is that the Bible makes a distinction between people and all other life. Your approach obscures that distinction and makes salvation some pan-creation objective. People are saved (Rom 10:9). The rest of creation is made new (Rev 21:1).

If that is not true, then let me ask you this: Will there be animals (or plants) in hell? Animals (or plants) being punished for what they did wrong in this life?

Evolution doesn't unmake the distinction either. It is a matter irrelevant to science. Evolution is not about theology or our relation to God.

I realize evolution says that - maybe honestly intends to keep them separate. But we've had this conversation before, and I feel like you've never really answered how a non-salvic Adam-father begets an Adam who is to be saved. Likewise for Eve.

I don't think any Christian here is saying that, so let's not go overboard.

Some come pretty close. Maybe it hasn't been said in this thread, but some come very close. For all the times we've talked, I have no idea what your position is. If it's anything other than, "I don't know," or "Maybe," I would need some clarification. For example, were Adam and Eve real people?

Well, that is not precisely what allegory is about. Just because an event is told in allegorical style doesn't mean the event itself is not historical.

I understand that. I never said Genesis has no allegorical aspects.

Again, you are projecting assumptions. How often we use "Genesis" to mean only the first 6-11 chapters of Genesis, forgetting that most of the book deals with people who were most probably historical.

I mentioned Joseph specifically to avoid doing this, so I thing your accusation unfair. [edit] To that end, let's add Joseph to the list. Do you think Joseph was a real person? Is the Famine Stela possible archaeological evidence of Joseph (Was he Imhotep)? Or, for that matter, is the Ipuwer Papyrus evidence for Moses?

One has to analyze every writer's work and even every part of every writer's work, for there is no writer who always writes pure history nor any who always writes purely mystically. The text has to lead, not presuppositions about it or theological bias.

I agree the text has to lead. However, I would say the Word has to lead. It is an important distinction. The first still leaves the result to human analysis and the second leaves it to revelation. As such, I object to your contention that we must analyze the text. Faith is not an intellectual exercise, for if it were the mentally challenged could never be saved. I am sure there are layers of complexity which many people miss, but the beauty of the Word is a simple message that sits on top of those layers of complexity, and all can hear and believe that simple message.

If I have to "analyze the text" to conclude it's a parable and not history, then I have strayed.

That is why I said that most of the controversy about creation is really a controversy about the doctrine of inspiration and what it means for the interpretation of scripture, not really about what is relevant to the doctrine of creation.

Again, I agree this is part of it - but only part of it. By obscurring the other parts, it feels like you're trying to bury the issues rather than address them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
And I think you're missing what I was saying. I basically agree with these first 2 paragraphs you wrote, but I think you apply them toward a different end. The way you present it obscures God's desire to save people (1 Tim 2:4) - that he specifically speaks of saving people. Sure, the whole world will be made perfect - it would be odd for redeemed people to live in a fallen heaven - but it is people God is saving.

My point is that the Bible makes a distinction between people and all other life. Your approach obscures that distinction and makes salvation some pan-creation objective. People are saved (Rom 10:9). The rest of creation is made new (Rev 21:1).

Salvation is a pan-creation objective. But within that pan-creative objective the salvation of people is a key objective without which the overall objective fails. Creation cannot be saved without saving people; the salvation of people is the means of saving creation.

If that is not true, then let me ask you this: Will there be animals (or plants) in hell? Animals (or plants) being punished for what they did wrong in this life?

No, the non-human creation is not capable of sin, so there is nothing to punish it for. What makes people distinctive is that they are capable of sin and have sinned.

I realize evolution says that - maybe honestly intends to keep them separate. But we've had this conversation before, and I feel like you've never really answered how a non-salvic Adam-father begets an Adam who is to be saved. Likewise for Eve.

The only non-salvic Adam is the Adam who was first created in innocence and then sinned. His father may have been biologically a H. sapiens, but he was not an Adam in the biblical sense. Likewise for Eve.

Some come pretty close. Maybe it hasn't been said in this thread, but some come very close. For all the times we've talked, I have no idea what your position is. If it's anything other than, "I don't know," or "Maybe," I would need some clarification. For example, were Adam and Eve real people?

Personally, I would not say the Adam and Eve of the biblical accounts are historical people. But they certainly represent real people. Some TEs even hold that they represent particular historical people.

To that end, let's add Joseph to the list. Do you think Joseph was a real person? Is the Famine Stela possible archaeological evidence of Joseph (Was he Imhotep)? Or, for that matter, is the Ipuwer Papyrus evidence for Moses?

I would not venture an opinion on that.

I agree the text has to lead. However, I would say the Word has to lead. It is an important distinction. The first still leaves the result to human analysis and the second leaves it to revelation. As such, I object to your contention that we must analyze the text. Faith is not an intellectual exercise, for if it were the mentally challenged could never be saved. I am sure there are layers of complexity which many people miss, but the beauty of the Word is a simple message that sits on top of those layers of complexity, and all can hear and believe that simple message.

Study requires analysis. Devotional reading does not. Many people read the bible only devotionally for its comfort, inspiration and instruction. And that is great. Even biblical scholars, if they are Jewish or Christian, need to set aside the tools of scholarship and read the text devotionally as well. That is its major purpose. So I basically agree with you here.

I don't think faith is contingent on a scholarly analysis--but when it comes to scholarly questions, then a scholarly approach is indispensable. The sort of questions you are asking demand that approach.

To me the pertinent question here is what is it one is putting faith in:
God? the bible? a particular interpretive approach to the bible?
It seems to me that many people put their faith in all three, and in the reverse order of precedence.

If your faith in God and in the bible, depends on an interpretive approach which reads Genesis 2-3 as a single historical event which happened to two actual historical people, complete with creating a woman from a man's rib, trees with supernatural powers and even a talking snake, I think your priorities concerning faith are out of order. I think you are making assumptions about the text and its interpretation that don't stand up to common sense scrutiny.

Again, I agree this is part of it - but only part of it. By obscurring the other parts, it feels like you're trying to bury the issues rather than address them.

What I am trying to do is put the focus where it belongs. One reason "evolutionary creationist" is replacing "theistic evolutionist" as an appropriate label is that TEs are fed up with the accusation that we don't believe in creation.

In essence, the controversy is not about creation: all of us in this (Nicene creed) Christian-only forum have indicated we believe in creation. Nor is it about the science. Those controversies have long been settled by the scientists. Nor is it about the inspiration, authority and value of the bible: we all hold to that as well. But it is about how to read the bible appropriately and honestly.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Salvation is a pan-creation objective.

I disagree - at least in the sense you seem to be using the term. So let's continue to flesh this out.

No, the non-human creation is not capable of sin, so there is nothing to punish it for. What makes people distinctive is that they are capable of sin and have sinned.

1. Why? Why can people sin but not (other) animals? Animals can be disobedient. Why is our disobedience sin, but not theirs?

2. Will the exact instance of my dog (Rosie) here on Earth be present in Heaven?

My answer is no. I believe I've asked you this before, and your answer was something like, "Probably not." Not as definite as I would like, but I can't ask for more than honesty.

So, the "new" creation means a creation that is not fallen. It doesn't mean a creation whose soul/spirit has been saved. I once owned a 1989 Ford Taurus. Its atoms have now been dispersed to the 4 corners. I might agree that a 2014 Taurus has improved over my 1989 Taurus, but I wouldn't think of it as having "saved" my 1989 Taurus. That is a misuse of the word. To "save" my 1989 Taurus would mean restoring it (the same instantiation) to mint condition.

Saving people and making a new creation for them to live in are two very, very, very different things. Is that new creation solely for us? No. In the end it is for the pleasure of God. But to elevate the new creation to the same place as the souls living in it is a perversion. You're taking a necessity of heaven and making it the primary goal. It's like saying the reason I eat toast is to force my wife to go to the store to buy butter.

The only non-salvic Adam is the Adam who was first created in innocence and then sinned. His father may have been biologically a H. sapiens, but he was not an Adam in the biblical sense. Likewise for Eve.

So, you don't think Adam refers to a specific, real person. Given the genealogies, that is a problem. At some point (without indicating it) God switched from genealogy as analogy (or general reference) to genealogy as history?

Why? When there are so many simple phrases that could have been used to indicate that switch. Further, you are assuming a procreation (of Adam) that is not stated. So, my interpretation is to take the text as it is. Your interpretation adds procreation and an unmentioned switch from analogy to history. I prefer the interpretations that don't add to what the text says.

I would not venture an opinion on that.

Why? I'll not claim the evidence definitvely points at Joseph & Moses, but it fits really, really well. Isn't this the type of stuff you look at? Extra-Biblical evidence for origins - extra-biblical evidence for history?

I don't think faith is contingent on a scholarly analysis--but when it comes to scholarly questions, then a scholarly approach is indispensable. The sort of questions you are asking demand that approach.

No. The issues you raise demand that approach. None of what I'm talking about would be necessary if people took the Word for what it says. It is others who are bringing external scholarly approaches to the Bible to defend their position. I'm saying the simple story that greets one upon the first reading is the story.

If your faith in God and in the bible, depends on an interpretive approach which reads Genesis 2-3 as a single historical event which happened to two actual historical people, complete with creating a woman from a man's rib, trees with supernatural powers and even a talking snake, I think your priorities concerning faith are out of order. I think you are making assumptions about the text and its interpretation that don't stand up to common sense scrutiny.

Are you saying God couldn't do those things?

In essence, the controversy is not about creation: all of us in this (Nicene creed) Christian-only forum have indicated we believe in creation. Nor is it about the science. Those controversies have long been settled by the scientists. Nor is it about the inspiration, authority and value of the bible: we all hold to that as well. But it is about how to read the bible appropriately and honestly.

I hate to say it, but most TEs don't give the impression they believe in creation. Rather, they seem to be appropriating the word "creation" to the TE view. If you change what the words in the creed mean, anyone can agree with it.

What you're doing here is similar to telling someone they don't feel what they feel. "No, Timmy, you don't feel sad that Lassie died. What you're experiencing is an immature understanding of death."

If we're talking about creation, then creation is the issue. And I've explained why. Because my theology does not separate the human soul/spirit from the special creation of humans - a creation that is distinct from the creation of other animals. Until you explain that, creation will remain the issue ... well, let me clarify. You've given me a very high level glimpse of what you think, but that glimpse doesn't seem coherent and doesn't seem to fit Genesis without unfounded additions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
...Personally, I would not say the Adam and Eve of the biblical accounts are historical people. But they certainly represent real people. …

Intreating. By that logic, one could conclude that Christ merely represented a real person.

I think you are making assumptions about the text and its interpretation that don't stand up to common sense scrutiny.

Whose common sense scrutiny? Because scripture tells us the common man is deceitful beyond all else, and desperately wicked. Why would you want to look to common man's common sense?

Those controversies have long been settled by the scientists. ...

Indeed. At one time the "scientists" believed in geocentrism and that a solid dome was suspended in the sky. The church followed. Now they believe that an infinitely dense, infinitely small singularity expanded for no reason uncaused into everything we see today. Predictably, the church is following.

Who knows what they'll believe tomorrow. One thing is for sure, though. You'll follow them wherever they go. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Intreating. By that logic, one could conclude that Christ merely represented a real person.

Does not Christ represent each and every one of us before the throne of God?

Whose common sense scrutiny? Because scripture tells us the common man is deceitful beyond all else, and desperately wicked. Why would you want to look to common man's common sense?

Common people and common sense are different things. Just because a person is common doesn't mean they show much common sense. Though it is called common sense because it is often found among common people like farmers and artisans and assembly line workers, and is unpretentious and pragmatic like a lot of the sayings in the Book of Proverbs. Don't know why you would have a problem with that.

Indeed. At one time the "scientists" believed in geocentrism and that a solid dome was suspended in the sky. The church followed. Now they believe that an infinitely dense, infinitely small singularity expanded for no reason uncaused into everything we see today. Predictably, the church is following.

As it should be. At the time, using the data available to them, these were good theories; they made sense of their observations and accounted for what they were aware of.

As they became aware of more data, especially once the telescope extended our vision into the heavens and exploration extended European/Middle Eastern awareness of other continents and oceans, new theories were needed. Of course the church should keep up and adapt its own teachings to be consistent with what our explorations of creation are revealing. In biblical days, people stood in awe of the visible stars in the night sky. Now we have breathtaking views of more galaxies than they could see stars. Should we not be even more amazed at the great works of God!?!

Who knows what they'll believe tomorrow. One thing is for sure, though. You'll follow them wherever they go. :)

Yep. Good idea to follow a good tradition.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
I disagree - at least in the sense you seem to be using the term. So let's continue to flesh this out.

1. Why? Why can people sin but not (other) animals? Animals can be disobedient. Why is our disobedience sin, but not theirs?

To whom are animals disobedient? It seems to me the only animals who can be disobedient are those who are kept by humans as pets or performers and who displease their trainers. But are animals in their natural state disobedient to God? Not that I know of.

Even human-owned/trained animals, while they may be disobedient in our eyes, don't necessarily have a moral sense of doing wrong because it is wrong. They have enough memory to understand that some behaviours are rewarded with affection and treats and others are punished. So I expect that in some sense they can figure out "I better not do X, because I will be punished if I do." But do they ever get to the point of understanding "I better not do X because it is wrong."

Humans do get to that point. That is why the idea of sin pertains to humans but not to animal behaviour.

2. Will the exact instance of my dog (Rosie) here on Earth be present in Heaven?

My answer is no. I believe I've asked you this before, and your answer was something like, "Probably not." Not as definite as I would like, but I can't ask for more than honesty.

I wouldn't be so sure. I think you are right when we are looking at animals in their natural state. I think there will be deer in the forest, fish in the rivers, but not specific individual deer or fish of the present time. But with pets, we have personalized them. We have made them part of the family. If my grandson asks me "Will Mr. Brown (dog) and Reaver (cat) be with me in heaven--I could not say "Certainly not." Maybe they will be. Maybe the saying is right "All dogs go to heaven". I can't be sure of a positive answer either but I am hopeful that all that we love will be with us in the new creation. That would certainly include pets.

So, the "new" creation means a creation that is not fallen. It doesn't mean a creation whose soul/spirit has been saved.

To me it means a creation that has been redeemed from its fallenness. It means a creation from which the burden of evil has been lifted so that it can appear anew in its full glory. It seems to me this is what Paul is getting at in Romans. Note that while he says that while creation was subjected to futility by the will of God, it was subjected "in hope". What is the hope of creation? To be set free of the bondage of decay and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

Creation waits eagerly, Paul says, for the revealing of the children of God, the sign that her days of labour are nearly ended and she is ready to give birth to her redeemed self.

To "save" my 1989 Taurus would mean restoring it (the same instantiation) to mint condition.

Yes, that is kind of the way I see it. Only it will be even better than mint condition.

Saving people and making a new creation for them to live in are two very, very, very different things.

To some extent I am following John Polkinghorne here. He points out that when God first created it was creation ex nihilo (from nothing). How could it be otherwise when there had been nothing else. But, he believes the new creation will be a creation ex vetere (out of the old); it will be purged of all that makes creation fallen and subject to futility, but it will also preserve all that is beautiful and marvellous and awesome and it will perfect creation in a glory surpassing the original.

That makes sense to me. For example, Paul tells us that in the resurrection, our new bodies will be related to our current bodies in something like the way a plant is related to the seed from which it grew. I think we all expect to have memories of life in this creation, of the places and people we love(d)--and maybe pets, and to be able to renew relations with them in this new environment. Why should we not say the same for the whole creation as well--it is no more identical with this creation than our immortal bodies are identical to these mortal bodies--yet it has a mysterious connection with what went before. In a new creation, God does not have to begin ex nihilo. He can bring all that is good and wholesome from this creation into a new creation that is like yet wonderfully better than what we now know.

It's like saying the reason I eat toast is to force my wife to go to the store to buy butter.
^_^

So, you don't think Adam refers to a specific, real person. Given the genealogies, that is a problem. At some point (without indicating it) God switched from genealogy as analogy (or general reference) to genealogy as history? Why? When there are so many simple phrases that could have been used to indicate that switch.

You mean Israelite history keepers did. It was pretty common in many cultures. Indicating a switch from legendary to historical persons was not part of the way to write such genealogies. The point was to say so-and-so was the offspring of a great legendary hero or a god and not a common man. The intention was to provide a seamless connection between recent history and ancient legend. So, no indication of a switch.

Further, you are assuming a procreation (of Adam) that is not stated. So, my interpretation is to take the text as it is. Your interpretation adds procreation and an unmentioned switch from analogy to history. I prefer the interpretations that don't add to what the text says.

Well, I wouldn't think of adding those things to the text. Adding to the text is disrespectful and spoils the story. But since humanity does have an evolutionary history, the first humans were conceived and born like any others since. So, if Adam is a human person, he had parents.

However when one is writing in a time when this history is unknown, one has to start the story somewhere and many creation stories begin with the direct creation of one individual or one people. The bible has a bit of both. In Genesis 1:27-28 and again in 6:7 the creation of 'ha-adam' is the creation of a people, but in Genesis 2:7 it is the creation of one man.

Because I don't have any expertise in the field to help me evaluate the evidence.

I'll not claim the evidence definitvely points at Joseph & Moses, but it fits really, really well. Isn't this the type of stuff you look at? Extra-Biblical evidence for origins - extra-biblical evidence for history?

It is the kind of thing one looks for to confirm such history as is mentioned in the bible. But there are too many ifs here. I couldn't say they don't refer to Joseph & Moses, but neither are there sufficient grounds to say they do. At least not without an expert review of the possibilities. Is Imhotep Joseph or Joseph Imhotep i.e. which name is original? Did the Egyptians borrow the story from the Hebrews or vice versa--or did both rewrite a common ANE legend independently of each other?

No. The issues you raise demand that approach. None of what I'm talking about would be necessary if people took the Word for what it says. It is others who are bringing external scholarly approaches to the Bible to defend their position. I'm saying the simple story that greets one upon the first reading is the story.

I quite agree that the simple story that greets one upon the first reading is the story.

But the rest is not so simple. What do you mean "if people took the Word for what it says". I am guessing that one thing you mean is that the story is not just a story but a description of actual events in which actual people with historic existence participated as it is set out in the story.

Why do you assume the Word must be speaking in terms appropriate to history rather than in terms appropriate to literature? What makes this taking "the Word for what it says"?

Are you saying God couldn't do those things?

No, I am not. I am saying that in a literal sense God did not do those things. Those elements of the story are indications that it is a symbolic story. That said, it is still a real story, for it is symbolic of genuine realities. It is a story of profound truth.

I hate to say it, but most TEs don't give the impression they believe in creation. Rather, they seem to be appropriating the word "creation" to the TE view. If you change what the words in the creed mean, anyone can agree with it.

Obviously, one has to clarify what is meant by "believe in creation". But I say again, if by "believe in creation" you mean "believe the creation accounts in the bible are literal descriptions of actual historical events" then the issue is not creation.

We have no disagreement on what the text says. We have no disagreement that it presents God as our creator and creator of heaven and earth and all things visible and invisible. And we both believe that. But we identify the genre of the text differently, partly because of how we understand a text to be "true". And that makes it an issue of hermeneutics or appropriate interpretation.

If we're talking about creation, then creation is the issue. And I've explained why. Because my theology does not separate the human soul/spirit from the special creation of humans - a creation that is distinct from the creation of other animals. Until you explain that, creation will remain the issue ... well, let me clarify. You've given me a very high level glimpse of what you think, but that glimpse doesn't seem coherent and doesn't seem to fit Genesis without unfounded additions.

How is the creation of humanity distinct from that of other animals? I am genuinely curious here. Are you suggesting all the other animals were created en masse? Or was each type of animal created separately from the others? I have always assumed the latter, i.e. that God created deer separately from creating bears separately from creating spiders and so on. But I don't see the text taking either position. But going on my assumption, there is nothing especially distinct about how humanity was created. Distinction pertains more to the type of animal humanity is, our characteristics and to our role within the created order

In Genesis 2, after creating Adam from the ground, God goes on to create all the other animals from the ground as well. The only one who can claim a distinct creation here is Eve.

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Does not Christ represent each and every one of us before the throne of God?

Well you're changing the meaning of "represent" here. A bit sneaky. You had just got done saying that Adam and Eve were not real historical people, just allegorical representations. Now you're talking about Christ as an representative advocate (a lawyer of sorts).

The is called the equivocation fallacy.

equivocation fallacy:
equivocation -- Sometimes referred to as "amphiboly". A fallacy that stems from the ambiguous meaning of certain words. For example, 1. Only man is logical. 2. No woman is a man. 3. Therefore, no woman is logical. "Man" in the first sentence really means "mankind," "humankind," "homo sapiens". "Man" in the second sentence means "maleness". The syllogism appears to be valid, but in fact is fallacious because of the subtle shift in meaning.​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
To whom are animals disobedient? It seems to me the only animals who can be disobedient are those who are kept by humans as pets or performers and who displease their trainers. But are animals in their natural state disobedient to God? Not that I know of.

Even human-owned/trained animals, while they may be disobedient in our eyes, don't necessarily have a moral sense of doing wrong because it is wrong. They have enough memory to understand that some behaviours are rewarded with affection and treats and others are punished. So I expect that in some sense they can figure out "I better not do X, because I will be punished if I do." But do they ever get to the point of understanding "I better not do X because it is wrong."

Humans do get to that point. That is why the idea of sin pertains to humans but not to animal behaviour.

So you make of it an intellectual thing - a matter of brain capacity - and therefore physical. I'll note that you're not giving your opinion scriptural support. In fact, what you say seems to be the opposite of what Scripture says, which makes it a spiritual reason. That has been my point all along, and I think you realize that, but for some reason won't acknowledge it.

The question becomes: what distinguishes humans from other animals? The biological distinctions aren't important for this conversation. In fact, the difference in our DNA and other primates is pretty small. By your logic (intellectual capacity), the mentally handicapped also lack the ability to sin. If that is the distinction, there is no need to save the mentally handicapped, and therefore no need to resurrect them, and therefore it is possible they won't be in heaven. They'll perish just like my pet dog. If you disagree with that, there must be some other distinction.

In Biblical terms, that distinction is spiritual. In Gen 1:26 man is made in God's image and God is spirit (John 4:24). In 2:7 God breathes into him. In 6:3 it is said that he has God's spirit. That doesn't happen to any other animal. That distinction is carried on in John 1:12 & 3:6, and in 1 Cor 15 (specifically verses 35-55) it is made clear that only the spiritual are raised for life in heaven. The rest perish. Therefore, whatever non-human life may surround us in heaven, it is birthed in heaven and is different from us.

You mean Israelite history keepers did.

No. That is what you mean. I meant what I said - the history related by God.

It was pretty common in many cultures. Indicating a switch from legendary to historical persons was not part of the way to write such genealogies.

The Bible is not the same as the texts of other cultures. There is no rule it has to follow. I've mentioned before the two aspects to a historical analysis of such texts. The first is an assessment of what the historian thinks was likely real. The second is an assessment of what the author meant. In the end, neither is definitive.

For our purposes here, we speak of the second assessment. The opinion of an unbelieving historian is largely irrelevant. What did Moses mean when he wrote the text? To appropriate a text and use it in ways the author did not intend for "religious" purposes is, IMO, disingenuous. I believe Moses intended the text to be historical, and apparently you don't. So how do we resolve that? What bears the most weight is to look at how other books of the Bible use the text, but secondarily we can look at how tradition read the text.

Yes, some Biblical passages point to the allegorical lessons of Genesis. But one can't cherry pick. One needs to address all Biblical passages, and there are many that treat it as historical. Further, all the older Jewish commentaries I have found treat it as historical. The older Christian traditions treat is as historical. To treat it as only allegorical and not historical, from everything I've seen, is a newer innovation and therefore I reject it.

Well, I wouldn't think of adding those things to the text. Adding to the text is disrespectful and spoils the story. But since humanity does have an evolutionary history, the first humans were conceived and born like any others since. So, if Adam is a human person, he had parents.

Even if evolution were true, it is not necessary that Adam had parents. God knows what actually happened, and it would have been so simple for Genesis to convey that Adam came from animal predecessors without having to launch into a scientific dissertation.

You've agreed God could do such things, and the story says he did do such things, and then you turn around and say God didn't do such things. You can only do that by inferring aspects of the story that aren't there. You say the story is symbolic. What does it mean to be symbolic? That there is unstated meaning in the story. That one thing represents something else. How does one know what that something else is? By adding knowledge of what that something else is.

Where did you get this knowledge of what that something else is?

Obviously, one has to clarify what is meant by "believe in creation". But I say again, if by "believe in creation" you mean "believe the creation accounts in the bible are literal descriptions of actual historical events" then the issue is not creation.

Again, that's part of it but not all of it. And again you can't tell me what my issues are. You say creation is something different than what I say it is. Therefore, creation is an issue.

We have no disagreement on what the text says.

I think we have a very large disagreement.

How is the creation of humanity distinct from that of other animals?

I think I answered this above. In fact, I cut out several questions that just seemed like repeats. If, however, you think I skipped over something important, I can go back and clarify.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Well you're changing the meaning of "represent" here. A bit sneaky. You had just got done saying that Adam and Eve were not real historical people, just allegorical representations. Now you're talking about Christ as an representative advocate (a lawyer of sorts).

The is called the equivocation fallacy.

I know. My bad. Just pulling your leg.

So you make of it an intellectual thing - a matter of brain capacity - and therefore physical.

Not necessarily. Is it intellectual capacity, moral capacity or spiritual capacity? Actually, I would be inclined to say it is one or both of the latter two than the first. Intellectual capacity alone does not confer moral capacity; some of the brightest minds use their intellect for the most immoral purposes and see nothing wrong with that.

Intellectual capacity seems to be a brain capacity, but what generates moral sense or spirituality? Is it something learned or a gift?

I'll note that you're not giving your opinion scriptural support.

I don't have much respect for proof-texting. I assume you know the scripture as well as I. I often paraphrase any scripture I consider relevant. If you are puzzled, I am happy to answer questions.

In fact, what you say seems to be the opposite of what Scripture says,

In what way?

The question becomes: what distinguishes humans from other animals? The biological distinctions aren't important for this conversation. In fact, the difference in our DNA and other primates is pretty small.

So far so good.

I think what distinguishes humans is our capacity to sin--which I agree is a spiritual condition. Also, clearly, God intended us to be in some sense more like God than the other animals are; both creation accounts put humanity in a position of power vis-à-vis the other animals and the second also puts humanity in charge of the trees and soil as well. The power attaching to humanity is necessary to discharge the responsibilities God lays on us: to be "lords" i.e. providers and protectors of our domain/household and caretakers/stewards of God's garden earth.

The essential nature of our sin was to grasp our power for ourselves instead of for its intended purpose, and to repudiate our responsibility to the One who gave us our commission--thus separating ourselves from our Maker and justifying our abusive and exploitative relationship to the rest of creation.

All aspects of this have to be restored for salvation to be complete. We need salvation from our sin of egotistic disobedience; we need to be reconciled to the rest of creation, and we need to be reconciled to God. Reconciliation with God enables the other two, and they in turn are constitutive of our reconciliation with God. When all three aspects of fallenness are overcome, we have wholeness (which is another name for salvation).

By your logic (intellectual capacity), the mentally handicapped also lack the ability to sin. If that is the distinction, there is no need to save the mentally handicapped, and therefore no need to resurrect them, and therefore it is possible they won't be in heaven. They'll perish just like my pet dog. If you disagree with that, there must be some other distinction.

To me that is such a weird way of thinking, I find it almost incomprehensible. In the first place, you mistakenly assumed I was using an intellectual criterion. But in the second place, I would agree that young children and mentally incapacitated adults, like animals, cannot sin. Even our court systems agree with that, not holding persons criminally responsible for crimes committed in a mental state which precluded moral understanding of what they were doing.

So, let's grant that they don't need to be forgiven any sinful action. By what sense does it follow that they would not be resurrected or have their place in heaven? That is utterly idiotic! Resurrection is for all--good and evil--and heaven is for all whose names are written in the Book of Life, all who are not condemned for unrepented evil. It makes no sense whatsoever to exclude the innocent from heaven.

In Biblical terms, that distinction is spiritual. In Gen 1:26 man is made in God's image and God is spirit (John 4:24). In 2:7 God breathes into him. In 6:3 it is said that he has God's spirit. That doesn't happen to any other animal. That distinction is carried on in John 1:12 & 3:6, and in 1 Cor 15 (specifically verses 35-55) it is made clear that only the spiritual are raised for life in heaven.

In Gen. 2:7 what God breathes is the breath of life--that which makes matter into a living being. Animals are also said to have the breath of life in their nostrils. Even the word "animal" denotes a being with an "anima" a soul. In fact, in ancient and medieval times both pagans and Christians spoke of all living beings as having souls. Humanity was conceived as having three souls: vegetative (like the life of a plant--we still speak of someone who has merely life, but no consciousness as "a vegetable"; animal (like non-rational animals with consciousness and mobility); and rational (providing the unique qualities of being human such as self-awareness and God-awareness, the capacity to reason intellectually and morally and to know our Maker).

In Ecclesiastes, animals like humans are seen to be endowed with spirit, for the writer asks "Who knows if [when they die] the spirit of a man goes upward while the spirit of a beast goes downward?" In the book of Jonah, God has compassion on the animals as well as the people. In both of Isaiah's depictions of paradise, animals as well as humans are present. In Revelation 5, where John depicts the heavenly court, it includes all creatures of the earth. It seems to me that even if we restrict resurrection only to those who are spiritual there is sufficient basis for believing that includes more than human beings.

Therefore, whatever non-human life may surround us in heaven, it is birthed in heaven and is different from us.

That is your belief, as mine is set out above. The ground for disagreement here is not about creation itself, but about how we choose to interpret scripture. I don't think there is anywhere near enough unambiguous scripture for either of us to insist that our belief/interpretation is the correct one. But I will stick to mine because it is more generous and hopeful.

The Bible is not the same as the texts of other cultures.

Ad hoc, unsupported assertion. This is how you justify treating it differently.

There is no rule it has to follow. I've mentioned before the two aspects to a historical analysis of such texts. The first is an assessment of what the historian thinks was likely real. The second is an assessment of what the author meant. In the end, neither is definitive.

Agreed. Especially the last sentence.

I believe Moses intended the text to be historical, and apparently you don't.

I think ancient people thought and wrote about history differently than modern secular historians do. I don't think they wrote or even thought in a way that clearly divided history from legend.

So how do we resolve that? What bears the most weight is to look at how other books of the Bible use the text, but secondarily we can look at how tradition read the text.

Not really, because they have the same mindset and because they were not asking if the passage was or was not history. They used them as both history and allegory--we can see examples of this in Paul's writings e.g. his contrast of Sarah and Hagar. And in much of the writing of early Christian teachers.

Even if evolution were true, it is not necessary that Adam had parents.

Evolution is true and so every human being had parents. If Adam was a single human being of the past, he had parents. Otherwise he would not be human. And one thing indisputable is that Adam is human.

God knows what actually happened, and it would have been so simple for Genesis to convey that Adam came from animal predecessors without having to launch into a scientific dissertation.

Sorry, you can't second-guess God. Whatever God knew, he chose not to reveal anything that required the acquisition of physical information not known at the time. Nothing in scripture suggests a cosmological, geological or biological awareness of anything yet to be discovered through human research into nature.

You've agreed God could do such things, and the story says he did do such things, and then you turn around and say God didn't do such things. You can only do that by inferring aspects of the story that aren't there. You say the story is symbolic. What does it mean to be symbolic? That there is unstated meaning in the story.

No, not unstated meaning. The symbols state the meaning. The story is quite clear; but it is told pictorially instead of discursively as one might find it in the work of a philosopher.

Again, that's part of it but not all of it. And again you can't tell me what my issues are. You say creation is something different than what I say it is. Therefore, creation is an issue.

As a verb, "create" means "to make, to bring into being " as in "God created human beings in God's image; male and female he created them." As a noun, "creation" means either the act of making or the that which was made as in "the heavens and earth and all things visible and invisible."

This is what I say creation is. What are you saying that is different about creation?

I think where we differ is not on creation but on what you and I believe about the biblical accounts of creation. That is an issue about scripture, not about creation.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So you make of it an intellectual thing - a matter of brain capacity - and therefore physical.

That singular distinction from human vs. ape anatomy cannot be dismissed as irrelevant, whether it's from Scripture or not.

The question becomes: what distinguishes humans from other animals? The biological distinctions aren't important for this conversation.

Comparative anatomy is out, with you so far.

In fact, the difference in our DNA and other primates is pretty small... there must be some other distinction.

The protein coding genes would require 40,000 changes, which comes to one substitution per lineage in 70% of the genes. You call that close?

Ok, Comparative DNA is out, what's next?

In Biblical terms, that distinction is spiritual. In Gen 1:26 man is made in God's image...

Actually Adam is made from the dust of the earth and God breaths the breath of life into Adam, giving him life. The spiritual nature of man is never separated from the body in the Hebrew Scriptures, not like they are in a more Hellenistic context like the New Testament. Soul in that passage is simply breath and it's not talking about Adam becoming born again, but created fully formed, thus the first parent of humanity.

The Bible is not the same as the texts of other cultures. There is no rule it has to follow. I've mentioned before the two aspects to a historical analysis of such texts. The first is an assessment of what the historian thinks was likely real. The second is an assessment of what the author meant. In the end, neither is definitive.

The credibility of the narrative and the original intent of the author, isn't definitive. So what is definitive?

For our purposes here, we speak of the second assessment. The opinion of an unbelieving historian is largely irrelevant.

Ok, scratch the unbelieving historian. I never liked him anyway.

What did Moses mean when he wrote the text? To appropriate a text and use it in ways the author did not intend for "religious" purposes is, IMO, disingenuous. I believe Moses intended the text to be historical, and apparently you don't. So how do we resolve that? What bears the most weight is to look at how other books of the Bible use the text, but secondarily we can look at how tradition read the text.

Moses intended for the text to be taken historically, which means it's an historical narrative, which means the literal interpretation is preferred. Or maybe I'm reading too much into that. Then look at the traditional view of Judaism and the Christian faith, which is that it's an historical narrative. With you so far.

Yes, some Biblical passages point to the allegorical lessons of Genesis. But one can't cherry pick. One needs to address all Biblical passages, and there are many that treat it as historical. Further, all the older Jewish commentaries I have found treat it as historical. The older Christian traditions treat is as historical. To treat it as only allegorical and not historical, from everything I've seen, is a newer innovation and therefore I reject it.

It doesn't take long to learn that Modernism is a new arrival in the court of Biblical interpretation. I reject it because of the requisite naturalistic assumptions but the fact that they lack cohesion with the text and traditions is a major problem as well.

Even if evolution were true, it is not necessary that Adam had parents. God knows what actually happened, and it would have been so simple for Genesis to convey that Adam came from animal predecessors without having to launch into a scientific dissertation.

If you conclude Adam had ancestors you do so in contradiction of the Scriptures and traditional Jewish and Christian scholarship. Evolution isn't a take it all or leave it all concept, it's not mutually exclusive with creation. What is mutually exclusive with Creation is an underlying assumption of exclusively naturalistic causes. Neutralizing God as a cause is absurd for anyone remotely theistic, especially Christians.

You've agreed God could do such things, and the story says he did do such things, and then you turn around and say God didn't do such things. You can only do that by inferring aspects of the story that aren't there. You say the story is symbolic. What does it mean to be symbolic? That there is unstated meaning in the story. That one thing represents something else. How does one know what that something else is? By adding knowledge of what that something else is.

Ok, if it's assumed to be symbolic the question becomes, symbolic of what?

Where did you get this knowledge of what that something else is?

Definitely, there are differences about what creation means. Lexicons are good for that.

Sorry to jump in the middle of your conversation with someone else but I saw a couple of things I thought were important.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
As a verb, "create" means "to make, to bring into being " as in "God created human beings in God's image; male and female he created them." As a noun, "creation" means either the act of making or the that which was made as in "the heavens and earth and all things visible and invisible."

This is what I say creation is. What are you saying that is different about creation?

We've discussed this before. Remember the bicycle? We differ on agency.

To create and to procreate is not the same thing. Neither would happen without God, but God is the agent for creating, and parents are the agent for procreating. Further, there can be active and passive agents. In procreation the parents are active agents (they have a will), and in the claims of evolution natural law is the agent (it has no will).

In your version of creation, you invoke both the active agency of procreation and the passive agency of evolution. I invoke neither. In my version, only God is the agent.

I think where we differ is not on creation but on what you and I believe about the biblical accounts of creation.

I don't like the hairs you're splitting. To me this is like two starving men who come across a tree with one apple and begin to argue about who will eat it. Then one of them steps back and says, "We're not arguing about the apple. The cause of the argument is starvation."

And yet, if there were no apple, there would be no argument. Starvation may be part of it, but the argument can't be separated from the apple.

That is an issue about scripture, not about creation.

Mmm. And yet you said the following:

I don't have much respect for proof-texting. I assume you know the scripture as well as I. I often paraphrase any scripture I consider relevant. If you are puzzled, I am happy to answer questions.

If you mean cherry-picking verses, I would agree. But if this is really your position, we are in a very, very different place.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Sorry to jump in the middle of your conversation with someone else but I saw a couple of things I thought were important.

Not a problem. Actually, it seems to me you are agreeing with much of what I said. If not, then we're misunderstanding each other.

If you conclude Adam had ancestors you do so in contradiction of the Scriptures and traditional Jewish and Christian scholarship. Evolution isn't a take it all or leave it all concept, it's not mutually exclusive with creation. What is mutually exclusive with Creation is an underlying assumption of exclusively naturalistic causes. Neutralizing God as a cause is absurd for anyone remotely theistic, especially Christians.

I think it would derail the thread to make this about evolution. Regardless, I don't totally disagree with you. It's just that "evolution" has become such a loaded word (as has "creationism") that one can't use it without provoking outrage from at least one party in the discussion. So, I would soften your statement by saying: biology isn't a take it all or leave it all concept, it's not mutually exclusive with creation. It then becomes a matter of which aspects of biology are causing a conflict with theology.

That singular distinction from human vs. ape anatomy cannot be dismissed as irrelevant, whether it's from Scripture or not.

There are certainly important distinctions between humans and other primates. But if Scripture had said we needed to baptize, preach, and teach other primates that they might inherit the Kingdom of God, those differences wouldn't stop us from carrying out that command.

Yet we were not given that command. Why are other primates not baptized, etc.? Gluadys has not given what I would consider a satisfactory answer to that.

Actually Adam is made from the dust of the earth and God breaths the breath of life into Adam, giving him life. The spiritual nature of man is never separated from the body in the Hebrew Scriptures, not like they are in a more Hellenistic context like the New Testament. Soul in that passage is simply breath and it's not talking about Adam becoming born again, but created fully formed, thus the first parent of humanity.

I'm aware Greek thought differs from Scripture. What a shame that Augustine had his neo-Platonist tendencies and that Aquinas was ever diverted into Scholasticism. It's been the curse of western Christianity ever since.

But don't make of those differences what isn't there. Soul is not breath.

The Greek word for "soul" is "psyche". Yes, the root of that word is "breath". but the concept is closer to the rationalist idea of mind, which, though similar to a concept of soul, is not a direct equivalent. The Greek word for "spirit" is "pneuma". The root means a blast of air - a breeze. That has some of the same connotations as spirit, but is again different.

It's better to use the Hebrew words to explain the Biblical concepts. The Hebrew word for spirit is "ruach", which means breath or wind, and that fits its usage as the breath of God or the visitation of the Spirit in Acts. Then the word for soul is "nephesh", which comes from the word for throat and means "the creature that breathes." I find that fascinating. The spirit, then, is the incorporeal thing that gives life to the creature, but it is not the creature itself. The soul (the throat) is the part of the creature that takes in the spirit and sends it out as speech (as the Word). I find the symbolism of that to be pure beauty (since you also asked about symbolism).

But also notice there is nothing rational about the process. You take in what is given from the outside, and then send out again without using the mind. That is the nature of revelation. It feeds your soul, and you send it on to feed other souls, but you don't modify it with your thoughts.

And, I am aware of Ecclesiastes 3:21, but given the understanding I just related above, I think Solomon is playing word games with that beautiful symbolism. Of course animals have breath, and God gave it to them (Gen 1:30), but it never shows the symbolism of God breathing into their nostrils as he did with Adam. That distinction is important. In his rhetorical question, Solomon implies that the animal breath falls to the ground - is like the dust from which the animal was created, whereas the human breath rises - goes to heaven, which matches with 12:7. Animals are not resurrected and we are. Why? Because our spirits differ. It has nothing to do with genetics.

The credibility of the narrative and the original intent of the author, isn't definitive. So what is definitive?

Given what we're discussing, only the revealed truth of Scripture.

Upvote 0