new york city
✟15,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the bible isn't very clear about what activities count as adultry. Obviously sex is adultry, and kissing (probably) is not adultry, but what about everything in between? (edit: im not talking about cheating on a significant other, im asking about activities outside of marriage)

in order to avoid being too explicit i will be useing "the bases" metaphor for sexual activity (if you don't know what that is: 1st base= makeing out, 2nd= hand to genitalia contact, 3rd= mouth to genitalia contact, home run= sex.)

so i guess the real question is, which of the "bases" count as adultry? 2-4? 3-4? 1-4?

Last edited:

Kiterius

CF's Favorite Member
Dec 24, 2016
Earth
✟32,893.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
the bible isn't very clear about what activities count as adultry. Obviously sex is adultry, and kissing (probably) is not adultry, but what about everything in between?

in order to avoid being too explicit i will be useing "the bases" metaphor for sexual activity (if you don't know what that is: 1st base= makeing out, 2nd= hand to genitalia contact, 3rd= mouth to genitalia contact, home run= sex.)

so i guess the real question is, which of the "bases" count as adultry? 2-4? 3-4? 1-4?

So I guess the real question is jacob, to which of the bases do you yourself want to go with someone who is not your spouse? Don't go there.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
the bible isn't very clear about what activities count as adultry. Obviously sex is adultry, and kissing (probably) is not adultry, but what about everything in between?

It's clearer about cheating, than you think:
Matthew 5:28
But I say to you that everyone who (even) looks at a woman with lustful eyes has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Repost from https://www.christianforums.com/thr...-pre-marital-sex.8072216/page-3#post-72914377

There’s something called soul ties. When people have sex its supposed to be the union of two souls, bodies and spirits. Many people have sex and leave part of their souls with others plus you get their spiritual garbage as well, opening the door to evil spirits. It becomes a mess.

When you get married you are making a commitment with that other person, so your union is linked together with God as your God and sustainer of the relationship. When you have premarital sex you are saying “this might not be the one”. That shows lack of commitment, respect and loyalty. Marriage is a serious commitment. Jesus even said not everyone is ready for it.

People who had premarital sex and remarry should pray a prayer to break soul ties. Kris Valloton has an amazing book called Moral Revolution. It explains how your virginity is a gift to your partner and viceversa. I cried when I heard that because so many people don’t see their virginity as a gift but as a curse. Kris also said once that he bought a welding tool and he was watching the instruction DVD on how to use it and the instructor said that when you weld two pieces of metal together they can’t be separated without creating damage/breaking, they’ll never be the same. He said that the Lord spoke to him through that video and he understood the importance of purity and marriage. I know many people remarry and the Lord heal their souls, I’ve even heard women who had their hymen healed by the Lord, but I always like doing things right from the start instead of having to ask for forgiveness later.

Be wise ❤️

Upvote 0

name_is_irrelevant

Jun 16, 2018
Farton
✟6,276.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

According to Jesus, if you so much as look at a woman lustfully, that's adultery.

What I take from this is that it's more about attitude than act. Churches always go on about premarital sex... but what is sex? Coitus? Sex starts before that; foreplay is part of sex. As is romance, when you think about it. It's not like people are asexual until the pants come off; your sexuality isn't something that's confined to sexual intercourse. So to my mind it's pretty arbitrary drawing the line at coitus and genitals, that seems to be exactly the kind of mindset Jesus was correcting. Rather than being concerned about bases, I'd say be concerned with intentions. If you want a sexual relationship with someone, marry them. If you're not going to marry them, then avoid even kissing them; why lead them up the garden path? If you don't know if you want them or not, then you need to focus less on the physical and focus on exploring other areas, like whether you share common values, whether your personalities click, etc. And yes I know this goes against everything society says about dating, but I would say that present day western society is characterized by sexual sin, so...

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

It's none of that and also all of that. It's a matter of the heart and intent like most things with God. So it starts before you even make a move on another woman but when you begin thinking of her in that way. You have already cheated on your wife at that point and marred your wedding vows. And this stuff it real, you don't have to say a word and suddenly sparks can be flying between you two. It takes a strong will and the help of God to stop it at that point. The good news, turning away and giving loyalty back to your wife is repenting. But once you start down the physical acts of sex the more and more complicated it gets.

Don't do that to yourself, to your wife, to your family and especially to God. It's selfish lust and sin.

Upvote 0

DW1980

Don
Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2017
Scotland
✟121,809.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK - SNP

My simplest answer is, it's not the bases, it's when you start walking towards the pitch.

Upvote 0

Swords&Sunflowers

May 10, 2018
✟176,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
idk...but Jesus sounded serious when He said "But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." Matthew 5:28. He no trippin. Imo, Jesus cuts to the core, what's the core of adultery? Lust. Because what is true love?
1 Chronicles 13:4-13
4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Lust = very destructive selfish desire
Love = very other person oriented, charity, giving, serving....

I guess ask yourself "Is this action I am about to do pleasing in the eyes of God and is this act honorable to this person that I love knowing she is a daughter of God?"
Or better yet, imagine her dad and your dad standing near you, what actions do you think they would approve or not approve of?
lol WWJD!

sorry this got long.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I find that using the standard dictionary definition is useful:

verb (used with object), a·dul·ter·at·ed, a·dul·ter·at·ing.

to debase or make impure by adding inferior materials or elements.

Thus when we, in any way, do these things to the special and pure relationships in our lives then we commit adultery.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jacob_

Jul 9, 2018
new york city
✟15,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
According to Jesus, if you so much as look at a woman lustfully, that's adultery.

What I take from this is that it's more about attitude than act. Churches always go on about premarital sex... but what is sex? Coitus? Sex starts before that; foreplay is part of sex. As is romance, when you think about it. It's not like people are asexual until the pants come off; your sexuality isn't something that's confined to sexual intercourse. So to my mind it's pretty arbitrary drawing the line at coitus and genitals, that seems to be exactly the kind of mindset Jesus was correcting. Rather than being concerned about bases, I'd say be concerned with intentions. If you want a sexual relationship with someone, marry them. If you're not going to marry them, then avoid even kissing them; why lead them up the garden path? If you don't know if you want them or not, then you need to focus less on the physical and focus on exploring other areas, like whether you share common values, whether your personalities click, etc. And yes I know this goes against everything society says about dating, but I would say that present day western society is characterized by sexual sin, so...
if i were to take this advice then the only way to not comit adultry is to not interact at all with someone i like. if you like someone you're inevitably going to think about them in a sensual way, and if you never think of someone in a sensual way that's called being friends, no physical attraction involved; generally its a bad idea to marry someone you have no attraction to. the only way to not comit adultry with a significant other would be to marry them before you even meet them, which im not on board with.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
the bible isn't very clear about what activities count as adultry. Obviously sex is adultry, and kissing (probably) is not adultry, but what about everything in between? (edit: im not talking about cheating on a significant other, im asking about activities outside of marriage)

Adultery is when a married person commits 1, 2, 3 & 4 (or even looks at someone with lust in their heart) other than their spouse.
Fornication is when single people do 1, 2, 3, & 4 and look at anyone with lust.

All sex outside of a marriage situation is forbidden, the Bible is very clear about it.

Upvote 0

dentonz

Feb 4, 2006
Virginia
✟23,788.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

A married man should never be alone with any woman that’s not his wife, and a single man should not be alone with another man’s wife. If you have the desire to be alone with another woman, you’re already on the path to adultery.

Upvote 0