WHAT IS 1 PETER 3:21 REALLY SATING TO US ??

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And as I have said , that WATER BAPRISM is so misunderstood by MANY and we that many KEEP saying that WATER BAPTISM does save !!

# 1 The LIKE FIGURE // ANTITYPOS , is in the Greek NOMINATIVE C ASE , means the subject of the sentence , in the SINGULAR , meaning one time , in the NEUTER , meaning Male and Female .

#2 WHERE UNTO // OS , is a RELATIVE PRONOUN , in the NOMINATIVE CASE , meaning the subject , in the SINGULAR in the NEUTER , meaning Male or Female .

#3 BAPTISM // BAPTISMA and BAPTISMA here does not mean WATER BAPTISM and Acts 1:5 is a good example .

# 4 BAPTISMA here is speaking of the HOLY SPIRIT , PERIOD !!

#5 SAVE // SOZO is in the Greek Present Tense , ACTIVE VOICE , means that Christ is doing the saving of that person , in the INDICATIVE MOOD and means you can believe IT ,

#6 US // HEMAS is a PERSONAL POSSESSIVE PRONOUN in the ACCUSATIVE CASE , in the PLURAL .

#7 The next Greek word is POWERFUL , NOT // is a DISJUNCATIVE PARTICLE NEGATIVE and means NOTTTTTTTTT

#8 Not EVER , EVER , EVER the putting away the filth of the FLESH .

That is why WATER BAPTISM is taken as saving , and many believe that it can saved , PERIOD ,

# 9 There are so many words that seem to speak of WATER // HUDOR , like DIP // BAPTO , in Luke 16:24

# 10 SPRINKLE // RHANTIZO , in Heb 9:13 and in Eze 36:25

#11 BAPTISM // BAPTISMA , in Eph 4:5 that reads ONE LORD , ONE FAITH , ONE BAPTISM A , and used 22 times from Matthew to 1 Peter 3:21

#12 BAPTIZED // BAPRIZO , in Matt 28:19 , Matt 3:11 ,

#13 BAPTIZED , for the DEAD in 1 Cor 15:29 , how do you explain IT ?

# 14 BAPTIZED // BAPTIZO means IN 1 Cor 15:29 that reads BAPTIZED FOR THE DEAD ??

dan p

Last edited:

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And as I have said , that WATER BAPRISM is so misunderstood by MANY and we that many KEEP saying that WATE BAPTISM does save !!

# 1 The LIKE FIGURE // ANTITYPOS , is in the Greek NOMINATIVE C ASE , means the subject of the sentence , in the SINGULAR , meaning one time , in the NEUTER , meaning Male and Female .

#2 WHERE UNTO // OS , is a RELATIVE PRONOUN , in the NOMINATIVE CASE , meaning the subject , in the SINGULAR in the NEUTER , meaning Male or Female .

#3 BAPTISM // BAPTISMA and BAPTISMA here does not mean WATER BAPTISM and Acts 1:5 is a good example .

# 4 BAPTISMA here is speaking of the HOLY SPIRIT , PERIOD !!

#5 SAVE // SOZO is in the Greek Present Tense , ACTIVE VOICE , means that Christ is doing the saving of that person , in the INDICATIVE MOOD and means you can believe IT ,

#6 US // HEMAS is a PRSONAL POSSESSIVE PRONOUN in the ACCUSATIVE CASE , in the PLURAL .

#7 The next Greek word is POWERFUL , NOT // is a DISJUNCATIVE PARTICLE NEGATIVE and means NOTTTTTTTTT

#8 Not EVER , EVER , EVER the putting away the filth of the FLESH .

That is why WATER BAPTISM is taken as saving , and many believe that it can saved , PERIOD ,

# 9 There are so many words that seem to speak of WATER // HUDOR , like DIP // BAPTO , in Luke 16:24

# 10 SPRINKLE // RHANTIZO , in Heb 9:13 and in Eze 36:25

#11 BAPTISM // BAPTISMA , in Eph 4:5 that reads ONE LORD , ONE FAITH , ONE BAPTISM A , and used 22 times from Matthew to 1 Peter 3:21

#12 BAPTIZED // BAPRIZO , in Matt 28:19 , Matt 3:11 ,

#13 BAPTIZED , for the DEAD in 1 Cor 15:29 , how do you explain IT ?

# 14 BAPTIZED // BAPTIZO means IN 1 Cor 15:29 that reads BAPTIZED FOR THE DEAD ??

dan p
Scripture does not contradict itself and where it appears to do so, it is not being understood correctly, and should be interpreted in agreement with all Scripture.

There is a double figure here. The flood symbolizes baptism, and baptism symbolizes salvation.

The text of 1 Pe 3:20-21 reads: ". . .the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, an ark being prepared in which a few, this is eight souls, were quite saved through water. Which figure also now saves us, that is baptism, not a putting away of the filth of the flesh, but an answer of a good conscience toward God through the resurrection of Jesus Christ."

The flood symbolized baptism which baptism symbolizes Christ's death (judgment), burial and resurrection which saves.

The flood is a symbol of baptism in that in both instances the water that spoke of judgment (in the flood, the death of the wicked; in baptism the death of Christ and the believer, Ro 6:2-4) is the water that saves.
Baptism is a symbol of salvation in that it depicts Christ's death, burial and resurrection and our identification with him in these experiences.

"Also now saves us," in the context of the rest of the NT, means saved by what baptism symbolizes--Christ's death and resurrection (Ro 6:2-4).
This using of the symbol to refer to the reality is, as I understand it, what the Catholic church calls "sacramental union."

"answer of a good conscience toward God" is a commitment on the part of the believer in all good conscience to make sure that what baptism symbolizes in Ro 6:2-4 will become a reality in his life; i.e., that as Christ died for sin, so the believer will die to sin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Scripture does not contradict itself and where it appears to do so, it is not being understood correctly, and should be interpreted in agreement with all Scripture. To wit:

The text of 1 Pe 3:20-21 reads: ". . .the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, an ark being prepared in which a few, this is eight souls, were quite saved through water. Which figure also now saves us, that is baptism, not a putting away of the filth of the flesh, but an answer of a good conscience toward God through the resurrection of Jesus Christ."

When you consider the grammatical construction of Peter's context above in Noah and the ark,
baptism is a figure/symbol of the water/flood which saved eight people in the ark, where
the flood is a figure of baptism and baptism is a figure of salvation, in that in both instances,

the water that spoke of judgment (in the flood, the death of the wicked; in baptism, the death of Christ and the believer, Ro 6:2-4)
is the water that saves.

The flood symbolized baptism which symbolizes Christ's death and resurrection which saves.

"Also now saves us," in the context of the rest of the NT, means saved by what baptism symbolizes--Christ's death and resurrection (Ro 6:2-4).
This using of the symbol to refer to the reality is, as I understand it, what the Catholic church calls "sacramental union."

"answer of a good conscience toward God" is a commitment on the part of the believer in all good conscience to make sure that what baptism symbolizes in Ro 6:2-4 will become a reality in his life; i.e., that as Christ died for sin, so the believer will die to sin.
Rom 6:3 reads , Or , are you IGNORANT , that as many as are BAPTIZED into Christ were BAPTIZED into his DEATH ??

Since you seem ? to believe in WATER BAPTISM , that when a person that is saved by GRACE , HOW can that saved person be WATER BAPTIZED into Christ and be WATER BAPTIZED INTO His DEATH ??

dan p

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Rom 6:3 reads , Or , are you IGNORANT , that as many as are BAPTIZED into Christ were BAPTIZED into his DEATH ??

Since you seem ? to believe in WATER BAPTISM , that when a person that is saved by GRACE , HOW can that saved person be WATER BAPTIZED into Christ and be WATER BAPTIZED INTO His DEATH ??

dan p
Did you miss "the flood symbolized baptism, which symbolizes Christ's death and resurrection which (death and resurrection) saves?"

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did you miss "the flood symbolized baptism, which symbolizes Christ's death and resurrection which (death and resurrection) saves?"
ARE YOU REFERRING TO Noah's flood ??

So what verse are you referring too ?

dan p

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Study post #2.
And 1 Peter 3:21 is NOT speaking of the Greek WORD BAPTISM at all and anyone can look at the Greek Text and SEE that it the Greek word BAPTISMA means that it is the HOLY SPIRIT and by Rom 6:4 here the Greek BAPTISMA is also used , here the HOLY SPIRIT , BAPTISMA // PLACES all believers DEATH of Christ , so that all believers to be RESURTRECTED .

dan p

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And 1 Peter 3:21 is NOT speaking of the Greek WORD BAPTISM at all and anyone can look at the Greek Text and SEE that it the Greek word BAPTISMA means that it is the HOLY SPIRIT and by Rom 6:4 here the Greek BAPTISMA is also used , here the HOLY SPIRIT , BAPTISMA // PLACES all believers DEATH of Christ , so that all believers to be RESURTRECTED .

dan p
You must exegete 1 Pe 3:20-21 to show my error.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You must exegete 1 Pe 3:20-21 to show my error.
Idid it already , as the verse 21 reads , The like figure where8unto ( the word EVEN as added ) BAPTISM in the Greek Text is not BAPTISM and is the Greek BAPTISMA , Why ??

#1 It is the HOLY SPIRIT that saves !!

#2 Not the PUTTING AWAY of the filth the FLESH

#3 And if a saved person saved by GRACE is not BAPTISMA // by the HOLY SPIRIT , by this BAPTISMA INTO THE DEATH , ( means Christ death , and verse 5 in the likeness of his death , yet e will be also of his RESURRECTION ,

That is why we are all BAPTIZED FOR THE DEAD !!

This what it means 1 Cor 15:29 !!

dan p

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Idid it already , as the verse 21 reads , The like figure where8unto ( the word EVEN as added ) BAPTISM in the Greek Text is not BAPTISM and is the Greek BAPTISMA , Why ??

#1 It is the HOLY SPIRIT that saves !!

#2 Not the PUTTING AWAY of the filth the FLESH

#3 And if a saved person saved by GRACE is not BAPTISMA // by the HOLY SPIRIT , by this BAPTISMA INTO THE DEATH , ( means Christ death , and verse 5 in the likeness of his death , yet e will be also of his RESURRECTION ,

That is why we are all BAPTIZED FOR THE DEAD !!

This what it means 1 Cor 15:29 !!

dan p
1 Pe 3:20-21 states that baptism is a symbol of that which saves; i.e., death in Christ to rise to a new life. (Ro 6:1-7).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Pe 3:20-21 states that baptism is a symbol of that which saves; i.e., death in Christ to rise to a new life. (Ro 6:1-7).
I say that BAPTISMA means it is the HOLY SPIRIT does also now save us ( not the putting away of the filth of the flesh and shows that Water BAPTISM will never save .

dan p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I say that BAPTISMA means it is the HOLY SPIRIT does also no save us ( not the putting away of the filth of the flesh and shos the Water BAPTISM ill never save .

dan p
Baptisma, noun (from bapto - to dip) is
the processes of immersion, submersion and emergence and is used of
John's baptism (Ac 1:5, 11:16, 19:4),
baptism called for by Christ (Mt 28:19), witnessing to their identification with him in death, burial and resurrection (Ac 19:5, Ro 6:3-4, 1 Co 1:13-17, 1:13, Gal 3:26, Col 2:12--equivalent to circumcision).

Baptizo, verb
The experience of those in the ark at the time of the flood was a figure or type of the facts of spiritual death, burial and resurrection,
where Christian baptism is "a corresponding type," a "like" figure" (antitupon) in 1 Pe 3:21.
It is also used of the baptism by the Holy Spirit on Pentecost.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I say that BAPTISMA means it is the HOLY SPIRIT does also now save us ( not the putting away of the filth of the flesh and shows that Water BAPTISM will never save .

dan p
Does that mean , that 1 Peter 3:21 is teaching that BAPTISM doth also now save us , is what it says !!

And is 1 Peter speaking to Jews ?

dan p

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Does that mean , that 1 Peter 3:21 is teaching that BAPTISM doth also now save us , is what it says !!
The text continually refers to baptism as a symbol.
You are saved by faith in what baptism symbolizes; i.e., death burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
And is 1 Peter speaking to Jews ?
He is speaking to God's elect (v.1), Jewish and Gentile Christians scattered throughout Asia Minor.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are saved by faith in what baptism symbolizes; i.e., death burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

He is speaking to God's elect (v.1), Jewish and Gentile Christians scattered throughout Asia Minor.
Hi and the text AWAYS continually REFERS to Baptism as a Symbol ??

But Mark says , He that believeth and is BAPTIZED shall be saved and is this a SYMBOL , ALSO ??

dan p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

But Mark says , He that believeth and is BAPTIZED shall be saved and is this a SYMBOL , ALSO ??
Yes, it is. It is the faith that saves. They are already saved when they are baptized.
Baptism is a sign symbolizing their death, burial and resurrection with Christ (1 Pe 3:20-21), placing them in the covenant people of God.
It corresponds to circumcision (Col 2:11-12 ) in the OT, also the sign for being in the covenant people of God.
The thief on the cross was not baptized, but he was with Jesus in Paradise on that very day.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it is. It is the faith that saves. They are already saved when they are baptized.
Baptism is a sign symbolizing their death, burial and resurrection with Christ (1 Pe 3:20-21), placing them in the covenant people of God.
It corresponds to circumcision (Col 2:11-12 ) in the OT, also the sign for being in the covenant people of God.
The thief on the cross was not baptized, but he was with Jesus in Paradise on that very day.
First time that the Greek words BAPTISM , BAPTISMA , BAPTO , and BAPTIZED and BAPTISMS , are just symbolism !!

dan p

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
First time that the Greek words BAPTISM , BAPTISMA , BAPTO , and BAPTIZED and BAPTISMS , are just symbolism !!
It's not the "words" that are "just symbolism" in the text, it is the "rites" that are stated to be symbols in the text.

Your inability to understand the plain text disqualifies you to discuss 1 Pe 3:20-21 with me.

Upvote 0

keepitsimple144

Feb 17, 2024
midwest
✟8,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Show me a sign for good... You, Lord, have helped me and comforted me. Ps 86:17
We are for signs and wonders in Israel From the Lord of hosts; Isaiah 8:17-20

For behold, I am bringing forth My Servant the BRANCH; Zechariah 3:7-8

Attested by God to you by miracles, wonders, and signs which God did through Him in your midst, as you yourselves also know...
it was impossible for Him to be held in death’s power. Acts 2:21-25

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟107,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I see this comment all the time on CF. The greek word for symbol is symbolia and it is not found in the NT nor in the LXX. So the text does not "continually refers to baptism as a symbol." The NIV is the only English translation to refer ANTITYPON as "symbol" which of course they got alot of grief over it. I don't know if New NIV corrected this error. Accoridngly, when Baptism is regulated to a mere "symbol" here at CF it ususally means something like an empty sign signifying nothing. I have found it is best to understand I Peter 3:21 via type and anti-type hermenuetics.

Last edited:
Reactions: jas3
Upvote 0