What in theology prevent Protestant, Catholic and Orthodox from being simply "Christians"?

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Of course there’s only one, that’s in the Nicene Creed. My point was merely that that church has been separated administratively, and in my experience only administratively, by uncanonical schisms.
not administratively. One Church, One Faith. Not One Church, a few different faiths.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
not administratively. One Church, One Faith. Not One Church, a few different faiths.
If only it was an administrative snafu, a mere schism. Would you be able to find any one single statement of faith that would include everybody? I don't think even the Nicene Creed can do that anymore.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
If only it was an administrative snafu, a mere schism. Would you be able to find any one single statement of faith that would include everybody? I don't think even the Nicene Creed can do that anymore.

All the churches I listed, sure, although we do have the perennial nuissance of the filioque, which is actually a historic complexity even in the relations between Rome and the Sui Juris churches (if memory serves, the Eastern Catholics who spoke Greek never used it, but the Ruthenians did until “de- Latinization” post Vatican II).

Upvote 0