What in theology prevent Protestant, Catholic and Orthodox from being simply "Christians"?

Elfkind

Jul 21, 2015
Bergen
✟19,493.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I've been growing up in Northern Europe, so as I was faced with conversion from Buddhism into Christianity I eventually met other Christians that told me of Christianity in a distinct Protestant flavor, but I didn't ever feel I was met with a God that first demanded of me to choose between one of 3 different Jesus. And I honestly think it is the same Jesus we all believe in. However tradition and theological disagreement have isolated us all into different pockets of belief, even if this is clearly against Christian tradition itself. I think we are unable to let go of a history where our forefathers have killed other people and themselves been killed for holding onto the distinct theological ideas we've inherited

I've found myself very drawn to "original" Christianity, and I think this is what everyone long for. A source of unpolluted truth. So I've seen Orthodox Christianity as a natural choice, but when I've tried to explore what it mean to be Orthodox I find myself confused because one does not simply say "I am Orthodox" and that's it, but there's various things that is needed to do to be part of this tradition, just like there seem to be ideas that I should for example re-baptize myself to be a uncontroversial Protestant and to be totally safe I should pray to get the gift of talking in tongues, and have seen that among Catholic and Orthodox is a very simple thing that caused a schism and these two are much more open in their longing to become one again.

But before I blunder into something that might break some kind of rules here, are there any single point in history we can track down where Protestantism was inevitable? And likewise in the east-west schism? And please, try to think carefully before writing answers here.

Try to explain in a way a child could understand, if that's possible.

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The best is to leave all those religious beliefs for what they are and seek a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Love for God and neighbour gives Him away. Follow Him and what He says, not tradition, it is not the answer, they didn't bring God's peace or rest but our current socio-religous predicaments.

You need the Living Word, our Lord in The Spirit of love within your heart.

Isaiah 30:20-21 "Although the Lord gives you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, your teachers will be hidden no more; with your own eyes you will see them. Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.”

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been growing up in Northern Europe, so as I was faced with conversion from Buddhism into Christianity I eventually met other Christians that told me of Christianity in a distinct Protestant flavor, but I didn't ever feel I was met with a God that first demanded of me to choose between one of 3 different Jesus. And I honestly think it is the same Jesus we all believe in. However tradition and theological disagreement have isolated us all into different pockets of belief, even if this is clearly against Christian tradition itself. I think we are unable to let go of a history where our forefathers have killed other people and themselves been killed for holding onto the distinct theological ideas we've inherited

I've found myself very drawn to "original" Christianity, and I think this is what everyone long for. A source of unpolluted truth. So I've seen Orthodox Christianity as a natural choice, but when I've tried to explore what it mean to be Orthodox I find myself confused because one does not simply say "I am Orthodox" and that's it, but there's various things that is needed to do to be part of this tradition, just like there seem to be ideas that I should for example re-baptize myself to be a uncontroversial Protestant and to be totally safe I should pray to get the gift of talking in tongues, and have seen that among Catholic and Orthodox is a very simple thing that caused a schism and these two are much more open in their longing to become one again.

But before I blunder into something that might break some kind of rules here, are there any single point in history we can track down where Protestantism was inevitable? And likewise in the east-west schism? And please, try to think carefully before writing answers here.

When you visit a church you might be sitting next to a visitor from the street or a visiting minister.
SO
The diversity of the people on your left and right in a pew is 100 times greater than any two Christian denominations.

All denominations are virtually (that's Very Nearly, kid) the same to a visitor from Mars.

Upvote 0

ChristServant

Aug 23, 2020
South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Do not follow any man made religion as they always cause conflict and strife in the body of Christ because all the different organizations believe they are special to GOD in some way above others or with special knowledge, this is not what the Bible tells us. Their is only one true Church and that is the body of Christ, not a man made organization. Follow GOD the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ only and seek the kingdom of GOD.

You can still fellowship with all professing Christians but don't take on their doctrines, customs and traditions. Read Scripture and seek truth, the Spirit of truth will guide you into all truth, GOD's truth.

Always try to remember, people are given gifts from GOD and not for their own service but to be used to serve and bring honor and glory to GOD. We all are equal in the body of Christ with different gifts and purposes.

GOD chose you not any religion
GOD called you not any organization
Christ died for your sins not any man made church or organization

Please, only seek GOD and HIS truth, the narrow path.

God from the beginning chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth.

We no longer look to be served. We look to serve and give our lives for others. No longer fight for privilege, influence and status. We esteem others better than ourselves and put their interests above our own.

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him

Peace be with all those in the body of Christ

Upvote 0

Nova2216

If truth is discounted then lies become normal.
May 16, 2020
America
Visit site
✟40,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I've been growing up in Northern Europe, so as I was faced with conversion from Buddhism into Christianity I eventually met other Christians that told me of Christianity in a distinct Protestant flavor, but I didn't ever feel I was met with a God that first demanded of me to choose between one of 3 different Jesus. And I honestly think it is the same Jesus we all believe in. However tradition and theological disagreement have isolated us all into different pockets of belief, even if this is clearly against Christian tradition itself. I think we are unable to let go of a history where our forefathers have killed other people and themselves been killed for

holding onto the distinct theological ideas we've inherited

Thank you for your sincere attitude. It is seldom I come across someone who has such a mindset.

Jesus built a Church (Mt. 16:18).

All the saved are located in that one church (Acts 2:38,47) (Eph. 4:1-6).

Christ is the head of the Church (Eph. 1:22,23).

The body is the church (Col. 1:18,24).

The church only does what Jesus commands (Mt. 7:21) (Eph. 5:17).

Eph 5:17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.

Read more here.
Our Publications

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

This is just a heads up, but after your saved and begin studying the Bible your theological views will change...

The only real need you have now is to become saved, and leave theological debates for after you have the guidance of the Holy Spirit into the meaning of scripture.

Upvote 0

Nova2216

May 16, 2020
America
Visit site
✟40,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Here is how the Holy Spirit guides men today.

Eph 3:3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Read more here.
Mission Printing Home Page

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I tend to look at the separations of the traditions and the circumstances surrounding those separations a fulfillment of the histories in the old testament.

So it may be inevitable because it is written.

Upvote 0

Nova2216

May 16, 2020
America
Visit site
✟40,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
The best is to leave all those religious beliefs for what they are and seek a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Love for God and neighbour gives Him away. Follow Him and what He says, not tradition, it is not the answer, they didn't bring God's peace or rest but our current socio-religous predicaments.

You need the Living Word, our Lord in The Spirit of love within your heart.

Isaiah 30:20-21 "Although the Lord gives you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, your teachers will be hidden no more; with your own eyes you will see them. Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.”

Here is how men know they have a relationship with God. (1Jn 2:3-6)

1Jo 2:3 ¶ And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. 6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

The above information is much different from what most churches teach and one must wonder why.

(1Tim. 1:1-4) (2Tim. 1:1-4).

Read more here.
Why Are There So Many Churches?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nova2216

May 16, 2020
America
Visit site
✟40,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Why don't we just label ourselves as Christians.... there's no longer Jew or Gentile, Protestant or Catholic, we are all made one in Christ Jesus.....

That's what the Lord said in (Isa. 62:2) and (Acts 11:26).

Isa 62:2 And the Gentiles shall see thy righteousness, and all kings thy glory: and thou shalt be called by a new name, which the mouth of the LORD shall name.

Ac 11:26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

Upvote 0

ChristServant

Aug 23, 2020
South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why don't we just label ourselves as Christians.... there's no longer Jew or Gentile, Protestant or Catholic, we are all made one in Christ Jesus.....

I think Christian is too broad with too many diverse opinions, doctrines and internal swabbles. I do think all believers of Christ should be under one banner to obtain the unity that is needed and required of us by Christ. I have no connection with Church doctrines and see myself as part of the body of Christ nothing more. The more time goes by and I learn more from scripture I see myself as more of a servant of Christ rather than A Christian.

We no longer look to be served. We look to serve and give our lives for others. No longer fight for privilege, influence and status. We esteem others better than ourselves and put their interests above our own.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Satan is responsible for the confusion in religion and the different denominations. It's more important to take the scriptures from the Bible than what a pastor/priest is saying. If you question what a church is saying, there is a reason for it, so keep praying and asking God for guidance.

One thing in the Bible that is repeated over and over again, is the importance of God's law. It's in the Old Testaments and repeated the important in the New Testaments. Part of Gods law is keeping the 4th Commandment which is Exodus 20:8-11. 8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it. God asks us to worship Him on Sabbath/Saturday. This is part of Gods law that is very important to Him. Any one who tells you Gods law is not important anymore or the law was done away of, it is not Biblical. Only God saves. His word is everlasting. The importance of Gods law -10 Commandments is written all throughout he Bible (look at the Bible index for all the references) It's also written in the last Chapter of the Bible Revelations 22:14
Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city.

Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus. Revelations 14:12

Following God's law only won't save you God saves us through Grace but because we love God we want to follow His commandments. It's in our hearts and Sabbath is a blessing that helps strengthen our relationship with Him.

Some references:
Sabbath Is a Day of Rest and Worship | Sabbath Truth
Sunday in the Bible | Sabbath Truth
'Seventh Day' References | Sabbath Truth

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tony B

Oct 7, 2018
Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think Christian is too broad with too many diverse opinions, doctrines and internal swabbles. I do think all believers of Christ should be under one banner to obtain the unity that is needed and required of us by Christ. I have no connection with Church doctrines and see myself as part of the body of Christ nothing more. The more time goes by and I learn more from scripture I see myself as more of a servant of Christ rather than A Christian.

I was always of an opinion, since becoming a Christian, that believers in/followers of Christ and Christians are one and the same....I kinda am happy to be known as either, but I understand where you are coming from.

Reactions: Elfkind
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm just a Christian, nothing more nothing less. I don't care about titles. I care about serving the Lord.

Upvote 0

Tony B

Oct 7, 2018
Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Satan is responsible for the confusion in religion and the different denominations. It's more important to take the scriptures from the Bible than what a pastor/priest is saying. If you question what a church is saying, there is a reason for it, so keep praying and asking God for guidance.

One thing in the Bible that is repeated over and over again, is the importance of God's law. It's in the Old Testaments and repeated the important in the New Testaments. Part of Gods law is keeping the 4th Commandment which is Exodus 20:8-11. 8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it. God asks us to worship Him on Sabbath/Saturday. This is part of Gods law that is very important to Him. Any one who tells you Gods law is not important anymore or the law was done away of, it is not Biblical. Only God saves. His word is everlasting. The importance of Gods law -10 Commandments is written all throughout he Bible (look at the Bible index for all the references) It's also written in the last Chapter of the Bible Revelations 22:14
Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city.

Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus. Revelations 14:12

Following God's law only won't save you God saves us through Grace but because we love God we want to follow His commandments. It's in our hearts and Sabbath is a blessing that helps strengthen our relationship with Him.

Some references:
Sabbath Is a Day of Rest and Worship | Sabbath Truth
Sunday in the Bible | Sabbath Truth
'Seventh Day' References | Sabbath Truth

Jesus has fulfilled the requirements of the law, whereas we never could.

That Perfect Being was then sacrificed as an appeasement for our unrighteousness.

We are now judged as righteous if we believe in Him...the just shall live by faith, and not by adhering to the religious observances of the Mosaic law including Sabbaths.

People need to make a decision...do they want to be justified by God by a faith in Jesus, or by adhering to all the requirements of the law of Moses (you can't just choose part of it to observe, you have to adhere to everything in the Law). If you can do both you would be a superhero in religious terms, and I would suggest you would have been the only person to have achieved that besides Jesus. In fact, if you can prove you can adhere to all the law of Moses, we can say Jesus has wasted His time and He sacrificed Himself for nothing.

Let me shout this out from the rooftops....There is no obligation for a Christian to observe a Sabbath! However, it is a smart thing to seek out fellowship/assemble with other Christians, as often as we can, and generally with no formal agenda/procedure to follow when we meet.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus has fulfilled the requirements of the law, whereas we never could.

That Perfect Being was then sacrificed as an appeasement for our unrighteousness.

We are now judged as righteous if we believe in Him...the just shall live by faith, and not by adhering to the religious observances of the Mosaic law including Sabbaths.

People need to make a decision...do they want to justify themselves by faith in Jesus, or by adhering to all the requirements of the law of Moses (you can't just choose part of it to observe, you have to adhere to everything in the Law). If you can do both you would be a superhero in religious terms, and I would suggest you would have been the only person to have achieved that besides Jesus. In fact, if you can prove you can adhere to all the law of Moses, we can say Jesus has wasted His time and He sacrificed Himself for nothing.

Let me shout this out from the rooftops....There is no obligation for a Christian to observe a Sabbath! However, it is a smart thing to seek out fellowship/assemble with other Christians, as often as we can, and generally with no formal agenda/procedure to follow when we meet.
It's not the law of Moses, its Gods law! The 10 Commandments was written in Stone by Gods finger to be everlasting. To say Gods law is no longer required is a dangerous thing to say. Mathew 24:35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away. Mathew 5:19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Upvote 0

Tony B

Oct 7, 2018
Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's not the law of Moses, its Gods law! The 10 Commandments was written in Stone by Gods finger to be everlasting. To say Gods law is no longer required is a dangerous thing to say. Mathew 24:35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away. Mathew 5:19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Well, I suggest you argue the point with Paul then. And also argue it with Jesus, who must have got in wrong when He said to the criminal that was crucified alongside of Him, "this very day you will be with me in paradise". You are very wrong imge. If your husband has been born again, what does he say on the matter, you should discuss it with him too.

Reactions: yellowMan
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well, I suggest you argue the point with Paul then. And also argue it with Jesus, who must have got in wrong when He said to the criminal that was crucified alongside of Him, "this very day you will be with me in paradise". You are very wrong imge. If your husband has been born again, what does he say on the matter, you should discuss it with him too.
How am I wrong if I am quoting scripture from the Bible? It's not about me being right or you being wrong, its what the Bible teaches that matters. Jesus worshiped on the Sabbath, God wrote the 10 Commandments with his own finger. I would worship God on any day that He requests. If God wants us to worship Him on Wednesday I would. He Blessed the 7th day and asked us to keep it Holy. The scriptures supports this. Nothing about God blessing Sunday or the first day of the week in the Bible.
Take a look for yourself:
100 Amazing Facts About The Sabbath and Sunday | Sabbath Truth
WHY keep the Sabbath day? What is the object of the Sabbath? Who made it? When was it made, and for whom? Which day is the true Sabbath? Many keep the first day of the week, or Sunday. What Bible authority have they for this? Some keep the seventh day, or Saturday. What Scripture have they for that? Here are the facts about both days, as plainly stated in the Word of God:

1. After working the first six days of the week in creating this earth, the great God rested on the seventh day. (Genesis 2:1.3.)
  2. This stamped that day as God's rest day, or Sabbath day, as Sabbath day means rest day. To illustrate: When a person is born on a certain day, that day thus becomes his birthday. So when God rested upon the seventh day, that day became His rest, or Sabbath, day.
  3. Therefore the seventh day must always be God's Sabbath day. Can you change your birthday from the day on which you were born to one on which you were not born? No. Neither can you change God's rest day to a day on which He did not rest. Hence the seventh day is still God's Sabbath day.
  4. The Creator blessed the seventh day. (Genesis 2:3.)
  5. He sanctified the seventh day. (Exodus 20:11.)
  6. He made it the Sabbath day in the Garden of Eden. (Genesis 2:1-3.)
  7. It was made before the fall; hence it is not a type; for types were not introduced till after the fall.
  8. Jesus says it was made for man (Mark 2:27), that is, for the race, as the word man is here unlimited; hence, for the Gentile as well as for the Jew.
  9. It is a memorial of creation. (Exodus 20:11; 31:17.) Every time we rest upon the seventh day, as God did at creation, we commemorate that grand event.
  10. It was given to Adam, the head of the human race. (Mark 2:27; Genesis 2:1-3.)
  11. Hence through him, as our representative, to all nations. (Acts 17:26.)
  12. It is' not a Jewish institution, for it was made 2,300 years before ever there was a Jew.
  13. The Bible never calls it the Jewish Sabbath, but always "the Sabbath of the Lord thy God." Men should be cautious how they stigmatize God's holy rest day.
  14. Evident reference is made to the Sabbath and the seven-day week all, through the patriarchal age. (Genesis 2:l-3; 8:10,12; 29:27,28.etc.)
  15. It was a part of God's law before Sinai. (Exodus 16:4, 27-29.)
  16. Then God placed it in the heart of His moral law. (Exodus 20:1-17.) Why did He place it there if it was not like the other nine precepts, which all admit to be immutable?
  17. The seventh-day Sabbath was commanded by the voice of the living God. (Deuteronomy 4:12,13.)
  18. Then He wrote the commandment with His own finger. (Exodus 31:18.)
  19. He engraved it in the enduring stone, indicating its imperishable nature. (Deuteronomy 5:22.)
  20. It was sacredly preserved in the ark in the holy of holies. (Deuteronomy 10:1-5.)
  21. God forbade work upon the Sabbath, even in the most hurrying times. (Exodus 34:21.)
  22. God destroyed the Israelites in the wilderness because they profaned the Sabbath. (Ezekiel 20:12, 13.)
  23. It is the sign of the true God, by which we are to know Him from false gods. (Ezekiel 20:20.)
  24. God promised that Jerusalem should stand forever if the Jews would keep the Sabbath (Jeremiah 17:24, 25.)
  25. He sent them into the Babylonish captivity for breaking it. (Nehemiah 13:18.)
  26. He destroyed Jerusalem for its violation. (Jeremiah 17:27.)
  27. God has pronounced a special blessing on all the Gentiles who will keep it. (Isaiah 56:6, 7.)
  28. This is in the prophecy, which refers wholly to the Christian dispensation. (See Isaiah 56.)
  29. God has promised to bless all who keep the Sabbath. (Isaiah 56:2.)
  30. The Lord requires us to call it "honourable". (Isaiah 58:13.) Beware, ye who take delight in calling it the. “old Jewish Sabbath,” “a yoke of bondage,” etc.
  31. After the holy Sabbath has been trodden down "many generations,” it is to be restored in the last days. (Isaiah 58:12,13.)
  32. All the holy prophets kept the seventh day.
  33. When the Son of God came, He kept the seventh day all His life. (Luke 4:16; John 15:10.) Thus He followed His Father's example at creation. Shall we not be safe in following the example of both the Father and the Son?
  34. The seventh day is the Lord's Day. (See Revelation 1:10; Mark 2:28; Isaiah 58:13; Exodus 20:10.)
  35. Jesus was Lord of the Sabbath (Mark 2:28), that is, to love and protect it, as the husband is the lord of the wife, to love and cherish her (1 Peter 3:6.)
  36. He vindicated the Sabbath as a merciful institution designed for man's good. (Mark 2:23-28.)
  37. Instead of abolishing the Sabbath, He carefully taught how it should be observed. (Matthew 12:1-13.)
  38. He taught His disciples that they should do nothing upon the Sabbath day but what was “lawful” (Matthew 12:12.)
  39. He instructed His apostles that the Sabbath should be prayerfully regarded forty years after His resurrection. (Matthew 24:20.)
  40. The pious women who had been with Jesus carefully kept the seventh day after His death. (Luke 23:56.)
  41. Thirty years after Christ's resurrection, the Holy Spirit' expressly calls it "the Sabbath day,"(Acts 13:14.)
  42. Paul, the apostle to the Gentiles, called it the "Sabbath day" in A.D. 45. (Acts 13:27.) Did not Paul know? Or shall we believe modern teachers, who affirm that it ceased to be the Sabbath at the resurrection of Christ?
  43. Luke, the inspired Christian historian, writing as late as A.D. 62, calls it the "Sabbath day." (Acts 13:44.)
  44. The Gentile converts called it the Sabbath. (Acts 13:42.)
  45. In the great Christian council, A.D. 49, in the presence of the apostles and thousands of disciples, James calls it the "sabbath day." (Acts 15:21)
  46. It was customary to hold prayer meetings upon that day. (Acts 16:13.)
  47. Paul read the Scriptures in public meetings on that day. (Acts 17:2, 3.)
  48. It was his custom to preach upon that day. (Acts 17:2,3.)
  49. The Book of Acts alone gives a record of his holding eighty-four meetings upon that day. (See Acts 13:14, 44; 16:13; 17:2; 18:4. 11.)
  50. There was never any dispute between the Christians and the Jews about the Sabbath day. This is proof that the Christians still observed the same day that the Jews did.
  51. In all their accusations against Paul, they never charged him with disregarding the Sabbath day. Why did they not, if he did not keep it?
  52. But Paul himself expressly declared that he had kept the law. “Neither against the law of the Jews, neither against the temple, nor yet against Caesar, have I offended any thing at all." Acts 25:8. How could this be true if he had not kept the Sabbath?
  53. The Sabbath is mentioned in the New Testament fifty-nine times, and always with respect, bearing the same title it had in the Old Testament, “the Sabbath day.”
  54. Not a word is said anywhere in the New Testament about the Sabbath's being abolished, done away, changed, or anything of the kind.
  55. God has never given permission to any man to work upon it. Reader, by what authority do you use - the seventh day for common labor?
  56. No Christian of the New Testament, either before or after the resurrection, ever did ordinary work upon the seventh day. Find one case of that kind, and we will yield the question. Why should modem Christians do differently from Bible Christians?
  57. There is no record that God has ever removed His blessing or sanctification from the seventh day.
  58. As the Sabbath was kept in Eden before the fall, so it will be observed eternally in the new earth after the restitution. (Isaiah 66:22, 23.)
  59. The seventh-day Sabbath was an important part of the law of God, as it came from His own mouth, and was written by His own finger upon stone at Sinai. (See Exodus 20.) When Jesus began His work, He expressly declared that He had not come to destroy the law. “Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets.” Matthew 5:17
  60. Jesus severely condemned the Pharisees as hypocrites for pretending to love God, while at the same time they made void one of the Ten Commandments by their tradition. The keeping of Sunday is only a tradition of men.

40 Bible Facts Concerning the First Day of the Week

1. The very first thing recorded In the Bible is work done on Sunday, the first day of the week. (Genesis l: l-5.) The Creator Himself did this. If God made the earth on Sunday, can it be wicked for us to work on Sunday?
  2. God commands men to work upon the first day of the week. (Exodus 20.8-11.) Is it wrong to obey God?
  3. None of the patriarchs ever kept it.
  4. None of the holy prophets ever kept it.
  5. By the express command of-God, His holy people used the first day of the week as a common working day for 4,000 years, at least.
  6. God Himself calls it a "working" day. (Ezekiel 46:1.)
  7. God did not rest upon it.
  8. He never blessed it.
  9. Christ did not rest upon it.
  10. Jesus was a carpenter (Mark 6:3), and worked at His trade until He was thirty years old. He kept the Sabbath and worked six days in the week, as all admit. Hence He did many a hard day’s work on Sunday.
  11. The apostles worked upon it during the same time.
  12. The apostles never rested upon it.
  13. Christ never blessed it.
  14. It has never been blessed by any divine authority.
  15. It has never been sanctified.
  16. No law was ever given to enforce the keeping of it, hence it is no transgression to work upon it. “Where no law is, there is no transgression.” Romans 4:15 (See also 1 John 3:4.)
  17. The New Testament nowhere forbids work to be done on it.
  18. No penalty is provided for its violation.
  19. No blessing is promised for its observance.
  20. No regulation is given as to how it ought to be observed. Would this be so if the Lord wished us to keep it?
  21. It is never called the Christian Sabbath.
  22. It is never called the Sabbath day at all.
  23. It is never called the Lord’s day.
  24. It is never called even a rest day.
  25. No sacred title whatever is applied to it. Then why should we call it holy?
  26. It is simply called “first day of the week.”
  27. Jesus never-mentioned it in any way, never took its name upon His lips, so far as the record shows.
  28. The word Sunday never occurs in the Bible at all.
  29. Neither God, Christ, nor inspired men ever said one word in favor of Sunday as a holy day.
  30. The first day of the week is mentioned only eight times in all the New Testament. (Matthew 28:1; Mark 16:2,9; Luke 24:1; John 20:1, 19; Acts 20:7; 1 Corinthians 16:2.)
  31. Six of these texts refer to the same first day of the week.
  32. Paul directed the saints to look over their secular affairs on that day. (1Corinthians 16:2.)
  33. In all the New Testament we have a record of only one religious meeting held upon that day, and even this was a night meeting. (Acts 20:5-12.)
  34. There is not intimation that they ever held a meeting upon it before or after that.
  35. It was not their custom to meet on that day.
  36. There was no requirement to break bread on that day.
  37. We have an account of only one instance in which it was done. (Acts 20:7.)
  38. That was done in the night-after midnight. (Verses 7-11.) Jesus celebrated it on Thursday evening (Luke 22), and the disciples sometimes did it every day (Acts 2:42-46.)
  39. The Bible nowhere says that the first day of the week commemorates the resurrection of Christ. This is a tradition of men, which contradicts the law of God. (Matthew 15:1-9.) Baptism commemorates the burial and resurrection of Jesus. (Romans 6:3-5.)
  40. Finally, the New Testament is totally silent with regard to any change of the Sabbath day or any sacredness for the first day.

Here are one hundred plain Bible facts upon this question, showing conclusively that the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord in both the Old and New Testament.*

Last edited:
Upvote 0