Status
Not open for further replies.

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
yes, I thought about those exact questions when I read Foxe's Book of Martyrs. I put myself in their place, and cried and prayed to God for Him to make me obedient unto death. I don't see any way around the christian life without that kind of faith like Jesus.

also I read "Tortured for Christ" which just further showed me the persecutions many have faced. including Jesus and the apostles. After seeing these kind of testimonies, I understood the New Testament more. The New Testament talks about these things, but most don't want to hear about death and martyrdom and just close their eyes and ears, but it's in the bible.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2006
✟15,118.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Fortunately, Christianity is one of the more dominant religious powers in Western society. We're not likely to be persecuted by our government so much as we are likely to be exposed to other religous and secular groups. Groups which don't have so much power as to be able to threaten Christians without repercussions. I'd be more worried about being threatened by an individual.

In fact, even the secular mainstream media has heavy Christian influences.

Upvote 0

LovesTruth

May 22, 2006
✟2,092.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If loving God were a crime I hope there would be enough evidence to convict me!

(Yes, I have thought about this many times over the past 2.4 decades. I would gladly give up my life for Him. He has never failed me. What a wonderful gift I could give to my wonderful Lord. In Christ we are already regarded dead to ourselves and now alive in Him anyway.)

Upvote 0

Harlan Norris

Jun 20, 2005
Aurora Co
✟10,455.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think the following questions are revelant to our faith. 1) Have you ever thought about what you would do if you were faced with the decision to either renounce Christ or be killed? And 2) Are you willing to lay down your life for the sake of the gospel?
You know, I go over and over this in my mind. I suppose,that no one is able to say for shure what they will do in the moment of truth. Clearly,laying down one's life in the situation described, is the only right choice. It is proof of our faith and a witness of it,that can and does move others. It proves we love God more than the world. But,am I ready? I frankly, can't say that I am. My life is as dear to me as anyones is to them. However, the worse the world becomes,the less concerned I am about leaving it. I will say this. In the hour of my trial,I pray that I have the faith to endure to the end.

Upvote 0

LovesTruth

May 22, 2006
✟2,092.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You know, I go over and over this in my mind. I suppose,that no one is able to say for shure what they will do in the moment of truth. Clearly,laying down one's life in the situation described, is the only right choice. It is proof of our faith and a witness of it,that can and does move others. It proves we love God more than the world. But,am I ready? I frankly, can't say that I am. My life is as dear to me as anyones is to them. However, the worse the world becomes,the less concerned I am about leaving it. I will say this. In the hour of my trial,I pray that I have the faith to endure to the end.
God gives grace when needed... special grace for a time to die. You and I will be ready whenever that time comes. Most likely it will not be by warfare or murder, but illness. Either way our Wonderful Lord will multiply grace and peace and meet us on the other side.

Upvote 0

Harlan Norris

Jun 20, 2005
Aurora Co
✟10,455.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God gives grace when needed... special grace for a time to die. You and I will be ready whenever that time comes. Most likely it will not be by warfare or murder, but illness. Either way our Wonderful Lord will multiply grace and peace and meet us on the other side.
I suppose it doesn't matter how we go. We're bound to in any case. That's what makes sacrificing one self for the gospel the clear choice. One might continue to live, but only for the time one is allowed. Frankly, dieing of disease or old age, looks worse to me than being executed for the sake of the gospel. It's faster, cleaner, and carries with it a degree of dignity,which is denied by the other possibilities.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

InnocentOdion

Seeker
Feb 2, 2006
✟11,136.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Married
If loving God was a crime, then I would happily be a criminal. :)

1. I would never really give up Christ. If I had to, I'd be willing to die.
2. Yes, if it was right.

I'm a bit hesitant with these because I now have a daughter, so it's difficult to decide because I don't want to leave my partner or daughter. :amen:

Upvote 0

Athanasian Creed

Sola Scriptura, Sola Fide, Solus Christus !!!
Aug 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
✟18,484.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think the following questions are revelant to our faith. 1) Have you ever thought about what you would do if you were faced with the decision to either renounce Christ or be killed? And 2) Are you willing to lay down your life for the sake of the gospel?

It would seem as if it's getting to the point that attacking Christ and Christians is becoming fashionable. It would seem society is 'tolerant' of anyone and anything except Bible believing Christians! It's becoming increasingly so here in Canada and down the road, in the not too distant future, it will be as bad in the good 'ol US of A!

As to your questions, i strongly believe that we in North America will face persecution, even unto death. I wouldn't be suprised if it happened in my lifetime (i'm in my mid-forties).

In order for one to be at the point to be willing to give their lives for Christ and His cause, one must be willing to live for Him first. If you find you are ashamed of Christ now, there's a good chance you'd renounce Him in such a time. So i pray to daily to be walking closely to Him and doing His will. If i am doing so, living faithfully, i believe i'll have the strength to give my life for Christ's sake.

I pray should that day come, i'll be as willing as many Christians were (and are) to gladly die for their Lord and Saviour.

Foxe's Book of Martyr's should be mandatory reading for every Christian! ;)

Ray :wave:

Reactions: Victrixa
Upvote 0

Athanasian Creed

Aug 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
✟18,484.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
CA-Conservatives
... In fact, even the secular mainstream media has heavy Christian influences.

LOLROF - gee i'd like to see that so-called "heavy Christian influence" in HollyWEIRD , in the music industry and the media in general! The mainstream media is godless and antichrist to the core. Their 'agenda is to destroy Christianity anyway they can! Look how Christianity and Christians are portrayed on TV and in the movies - atrocious!! :eek:

America, Britain and Canada aren't Christian nations - we're like the one's Christ said "honoured (Him) with their lips but their hearts were far from Him."

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2006
✟15,118.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I was talking about the news, actually. My point is that it's entirely acceptable to be a Christian at the current time. Christianity - whether of the "shallow" kind or not - is a powerful force. Atheism isn't an organized religion. Christianity is.

The religious right has control of the USA at the moment. Elected representatives are pressured to be true to God's word, even when this goes against the majority they're meant to represent.

"True, people of faith have always tried to bring their interpretation of the Bible to bear on American laws and morals ... it's the American way, encouraged and protected by the First Amendment. But what is unique today is that the radical religious right has succeeded in taking over one of America's great political parties. The country is not yet a theocracy but the Republican Party is, and they are driving American politics, using God as a a battering ram on almost every issue: crime and punishment, foreign policy, health care, taxation, energy, regulation, social services and so on."

-Bill Moyers
Theocracy Watch Website

Then try "The American Taliban", with quotes like:
"I don't know that atheists should be considered citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."
- George Bush, Sr.

The current American president, George W. Bush, used religious values to assist him in his election, and has been criticized for violating the separation between church and state. (Wikipedia)
The USA is a Christian nation. In God we trust.

What atrocious portrayals of Christians are you speaking of, specifically?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Athanasian Creed

Aug 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
✟18,484.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I was talking about the news, actually. My point is that it's entirely acceptable to be a Christian at the current time. Christianity - whether of the "shallow" kind or not - is a powerful force. Atheism isn't an organized religion. Christianity is.

Actually, it really isn't "entirely acceptable to be a Christian at the current time." You, being only 17, wouldn't necessarily understand that fact but, as you grow up and experience more of life, you will realize that the secular media is totally antichrist and antiChristian. And BTW, Christianity cannot be "shallow"and remain Christianity - it then becomes religion, not a living, vibrant relationship with the living Christ. Those who are lukewarm in their faith will not survive the persecution onslaught that is around the corner to be soon facing Christians.

The religious right has control of the USA at the moment. Elected representatives are pressured to be true to God's word, even when this goes against the majority they're meant to represent.

Then, if they are in "control of the USA" (supposedly since the late 80's BTW) why is abortion still legal in the US? Why is there no return to prayer in schools?? Why is evolution still taught as a fact not a theory (since, if it is only a theory, other possible theories should be given equal time) And, some within the 'religious right' are loonie toons who, it would seem, have their own personal agendas, some having brought great reproach to the true cause of Christ. Bottom line, they are trying to legislate morality and turn America into some sort of theocracy. IMO, Christians can't remain true to God and be in politics simply because one must compromise their faith in order to represent the majority on issues and the majority are non-Christians, even in America.

The current American president, George W. Bush, used religious values to assist him in his election, and has been criticized for violating the separation between church and state. (Wikipedia)
The USA is a Christian nation. In God we trust.

GWB duped the 'religious right' into believing he is a born-again Christian, when, in fact, he is a freemason which is antichrist to the core and Luciferian (do a google search "is George W. Bush a Freemason and learn the truth about your so-called Christian president!)

The 'god' your nation trusts in is definitely not the God of the Bible - it is the god of power, prestige and $$$.

What atrocious portrayals of Christians are you speaking of, specifically?[/quote]

You've never seen the horrific way HollyWEIRD portrays Christians?? You either do not watch enough TV/movies (good for you) or you are oblivious to the way Christians & Christianity is held up to ridicule. ** The founders of the Hollywood Prayer Network, Karen and Jim Covell write, "Only about 2 percent of media professionals go to church or synagogue. Hollywood is an isolated society, ignorant of--and often hostile to--Christianity." ** (http://www.infuzemag.com/reviews/books/archives/2006/01/behind_the_scre.html)

Christians on television and in movies are often portrayed as zealots, wingnuts and generally crazy people. If you're a Christian, we're often shown, you must be deadly serious at all times whenever someone discusses your beliefs and righteously smack-down those who would speak even mildly against it.
http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/09/28/why-christians-should-love-studio-60/

HollyWEIRD would never treat the Jews or the Muslims the way they do Christians, fearing the backlash that would surely result. The Jewish Defense League and antidefamation league would make sure that a negative portrayal of Jews would be sqaushed. We can only imagine what the Muslims would do! (shutter to think of the possibilities) :eek:

Upvote 0

LovesTruth

May 22, 2006
✟2,092.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
True, people of faith have always tried to bring their interpretation of the Bible to bear on American laws and morals ... it's the American way, encouraged and protected by the First Amendment. But what is unique today is that the radical religious right has succeeded in taking over one of America's great political parties. The country is not yet a theocracy but the Republican Party is, and they are driving American politics, using God as a a battering ram on almost every issue: crime and punishment, foreign policy, health care, taxation, energy, regulation, social services and so on."

-Bill Moyers
Theocracy Watch Website

Moyers has very little credibility. His biggest mistake here is that he doesn't know his history. America's founders were religious fundamentalists by their beliefs and lifestyles... and so were the original legislators and judges for over a hundred years.

If Moyers cannot get history correct, no wonder his other efforts are so skewed.

There is no such thing as the MYTH of separation of church and state. Christians and followers of other faiths like atheism are free to petition government and try to influence laws. May we always enjoy this liberty.

Religious faith is no a second-class value system!

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2006
✟15,118.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
"You're only 17..."

*sighs and raises hands*

Actually, I have to say that you may have a point... if it's about the immaturity of 17 year-olds. Myself in particular. If you want to continue this debate... maybe we should do it all out. I'd rather state my opinions than quotes from random websites. Especially since I really don't know anything about Moyers. *sweatdrops*

Although, we should probably start with the existance of a god...

I'd love to continue this debate, but I think posting here was a mistake on my part. You can contact me at:

grenadine_grenade@hotmail.com

Upvote 0

JesusFreak78

Reformed Baptist
Feb 11, 2005
Minnesota, USA
✟35,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

1. I would die for Christ.
Matthew 16:25
“For i whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.

2. Yes, I am willing to lay down my life for the gospel.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.