Certified Flunky
Jul 5, 2014
Right here, right now
✟43,136.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What if someone who is not God's elect wants to be saved and asks God to save him? Would God then reject him because he wasn't one of the elect?
All ppl, non-elect and elect alike, in their fallen state, do not want anything to do with God. Romans 8:5-9 is one good place to start studying this. The unregenerate in their fallen state are hostile towards, at enmity with God. Unless God first quickens them, they will never want to be saved. Even the elect prior to salvation don’t want Him. So, your questions are faulty, because those who are saved, are saved, not because they want to be saved, but because God chose to, in eternity past, chose to save the elect in His chosen time.

Upvote 0

Sovereign Grace

Certified Flunky
Jul 5, 2014
Right here, right now
✟43,136.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So you are saying that some people are doomed to hell and they can do nothing about it. Doesn't sound like a loving God to me. I believe in a God who loved the whole world, not just some special elite.
What about justice? God can’t exercise justice on a guilty sinner unless He first offer him a pardon?

• Useful
Reactions: Navair2
Upvote 0

Sovereign Grace

Certified Flunky
Jul 5, 2014
Right here, right now
✟43,136.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So you are saying that some people are doomed to hell and they can do nothing about it. Doesn't sound like a loving God to me. I believe in a God who loved the whole world, not just some special elite.
What about Psalms 5:5?
What about Psalms 11:5?
What about Proverbs 6:16-19?

What about God’s attribute of immutability? If God is immutable(and He is), if He loves everyone w/o exception, then does he:

1) Love them He casts headlong into hell?

Or....

2) Become mutable and now hate them He casts headlong into hell?

Which heresy do you think is applicable?

Upvote 0

Not Perfect

May 13, 2020
Kirksville
✟16,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
People would stop asking questions in this forum if they would just read their Bibles without their traditions.

With all due respect, Calvinism brings more tradition to the reading of scripture than most denominations with an Arminian bent. Besides, if you are truly coming at this with no preconceived theological framework, I would hope you would be less confident that your interpretation of scripture is the correct one.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
With all due respect, Calvinism brings more tradition to the reading of scripture than most denominations with an Arminian bent. Besides, if you are truly coming at this with no preconceived theological framework, I would hope you would be less confident that your interpretation of scripture is the correct one.

It is true, Reformed Christians and other confessional Christians reject the idea that theology springs up anew for every generation. We reject the radical individualism found in modern denominations.

It's self centered and anchorless. It's sheer folly to reject the insights and wisdom of 2,000 years of godly pastors and teachers.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Don Maurer

^Oh well^
Jun 5, 2013
Pa, USA, Earth, solar system, milky way, universe.
✟53,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
What if someone who is not God's elect wants to be saved and asks God to save him? Would God then reject him because he wasn't one of the elect?
The question itself demonstrates a complete lack understanding of Reformed theology and Biblical theology. First, it assumes "Original Sin" not to be true, and that Adams sin did not bring spiritual death (Eph 2:1, Romans 5:12) to the human race. It also assumes that man is not totally depraved and that man has the desire to seek after God, this is also not biblical (Romans 3:11). The question also assumes that man can come to Christ without the prevenient work of God (John 6:44) in drawing the saved person.

In other words, it is biblically impossible for either an elect or non-elect person to do what the OP says and that any man "wants to be saved." No man can come to Christ, no man can seek God without first giving the gift of regeneration to the man (Eph 2:8; Phil 1:29).

Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
T
In other words, it is biblically impossible for either an elect or non-elect person to do what the OP says and that any man "wants to be saved."
It's worth qualifying this. From a traditional Reformed point of view it's perfectly possible that non-elect people could want to be saved in the sense of avoiding hell. They don't want to be saved in the sense of actually having saving faith and repentance.

• Agree
Reactions: Navair2
Upvote 0

Navair2

May the Lord Jesus Christ be magnified above all
Nov 18, 2020
Somewhere west of Chicago.
✟36,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What if someone who is not God's elect wants to be saved and asks God to save him?
He does not save anyone but His elect ( Romans 8:28-30, Romans 9:22-24, Acts of the Apostles 13:48 ), the "whoseover believeth", from the heart ( Romans 10:8-10 ).
Would God then reject him because he wasn't one of the elect?
Yes, He would.

See the parable of the wedding in Matthew 22.
There will be people who think that they are saved that are not.

In fact, many people want to be saved...
and they will do whatever they think God requires in order to try and make that happen.

" Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able." ( Luke 13:24 )
See also Matthew 7:13-14.

They are the religious, who think that what they do saves them, and not the Lord Himself strictly by His grace and mercy ( Romans 11:5-6, Titus 3:5-7 ).
This will apply to them:

" Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."
( Matthew 7:21-23 ).

But one thing that the Bible does not teach, is someone who sincerely desires an eternal relationship with Him and His Son that ever has that desire apart from God changing their heart, making them born again.

Saved from Hell?
Plenty want that.

Saved to a relationship with the God who created everything, and to praise Him for His mercy and grace towards them forever?

No one outside of those written in the Book of Life will ever truly desire that, and no one who has not believed on Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of their sins and believes every word of God will ever see that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced

The very fact that someone desires to be saved would be evidence of their election, unless their desire isn't sincere.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0