What holidays do you think should be forbidden for a Christian to participate in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What holidays do you think should be forbidden for a Christian to participate in?

And discuss.
It's for freedom that Christ set us free. None should be forbidden, unless your own conscience forbids you.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Yeh, we probably should have inquired into the use of that word "forbidden" right at the start of this discussion.
I tried, but he ignores me. :)

Reactions: Christie insb
Upvote 0

RisenInJesus

Apr 8, 2016
USA
✟34,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I remember as a new Christian when the first few Halloweens came around we decided our kids would simply dress in nice costumes, like angels rather than things like witches, or other dark characters. But then late one Halloween evening while the Jack o' lanterns were glowing I felt a real sense of evil as I had experienced in my pre-Christian days, having been involved with occult spirituality. I also sensed the conviction of the Holy Spirit to refrain from the celebration of Halloween as in the past. Yet, I firmly was led to use this day for the Lord and in subsequent years we always had tracts with the message of Jesus to hand out with candy or we participated in church outreach to children in the community. I don't think Christians should live in fear or hide from secular holidays, but seek God and find ways to use the things of this world for His glory.

I have never had any conviction by the Holy Spirit concerning the celebration of the birth and resurrection of Jesus Christ, except to rejoice! But have seen so many legalistic attacks against celebrating these momentous events. According to the scriptures it is God alone to whom believers are accountable. I believe the Holy Spirit is faithful and capable of leading each one in these matters.

Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand. One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks. For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself. For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. Romans 14:4-8

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

And discuss.

Not one. It's man that forbids through lies and myth, Christians have freedom and should never b bound by man's opinion

Upvote 0

unitypeace

Oct 24, 2017
Abuja
✟8,013.00
Country
Nigeria
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Halloween is a perfect example of a holiday that no Christian should be a part of (Regardless of their conscience condemning them or not). I believe it is forbidden for a Christian. Then again, most Christians are not exactly seeking to live holy these days. So participating in a holiday that glorifies Satan and his evil ways is not a problem for them.
yes that's true

Upvote 0

unitypeace

Oct 24, 2017
Abuja
✟8,013.00
Country
Nigeria
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I remember as a new Christian when the first few Halloweens came around we decided our kids would simply dress in nice costumes, like angels rather than things like witches, or other dark characters. But then late one Halloween evening while the Jack o' lanterns were glowing I felt a real sense of evil as I had experienced in my pre-Christian days, having been involved with occult spirituality. I also sensed the conviction of the Holy Spirit to refrain from the celebration of Halloween as in the past. Yet, I firmly was led to use this day for the Lord and in subsequent years we always had tracts with the message of Jesus to hand out with candy or we participated in church outreach to children in the community. I don't think Christians should live in fear or hide from secular holidays, but seek God and find ways to use the things of this world for His glory.

I have never had any conviction by the Holy Spirit concerning the celebration of the birth and resurrection of Jesus Christ, except to rejoice! But have seen so many legalistic attacks against celebrating these momentous events. According to the scriptures it is God alone to whom believers are accountable. I believe the Holy Spirit is faithful and capable of leading each one in these matters.

Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand. One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks. For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself. For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. Romans 14:4-8
You are right on point. You can also find interesting topics on www.beforegodanswer.com

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While I believe God calls us to put away our love for the world and it's things, I am going to go with Halloween, and the secular version of Christmas and the secular version of Easter as being forbidden.

Halloween is clearly at the top of the list as being the most Satanic.
Why a Christian would want to have anything to do with this day is beyond me.
In fact, I believe Christian ministries should not put forth Halloween tracts or set up Hell houses at their church or anything to associate with this dark and evil day. God calls us to be holy and separate.

Christmas with Santa and a tree with lights, etc. is the secular version of Christmas. I also do not think that giving should be just on one day of the year but we should be freely giving all the time. Granted, this is hard to do but are love should not be forced by some holiday that comes once a year. We should love naturally every day.

Easter involving the celebration of a bunny with baskets full of chocolate is the celebration of fertility. There is no denying that. We as believers should stick to celebrating the resurrection of Christ and not imitate the secular things of this world. Granted, I believe we as believers should strive to be holy and separate and not imitate the world in any way, but it takes time for believers to mature in Christ.

Halloween is a perfect example of a holiday that no Christian should be a part of (Regardless of their conscience condemning them or not). I believe it is forbidden for a Christian. Then again, most Christians are not exactly seeking to live holy these days. So participating in a holiday that glorifies Satan and his evil ways is not a problem for them.

I agree with some of the things you said, but the tone seems is off. It seems more condemning than encouraging. Here's why:

Romans 14:5-12
"One person considers one day to be above another day. Someone else considers every day to be the same. Each one must be fully convinced in his own mind. Whoever observes the day, observes it for the honor of the Lord. Whoever eats, eats for the Lord, since he gives thanks to God; and whoever does not eat, it is for the Lord that he does not eat it, yet he thanks God. For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself. If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. Christ died and came to life for this: that He might rule over both the dead and the living. But you, why do you criticize your brother? Or you, why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before the tribunal of God. For it is written:

As I live, says the Lord,
every knee will bow to Me,
and every tongue will give praise to God.
So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God."

Matthew 12:1-8
At that time Jesus passed through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick and eat some heads of grain. But when the Pharisees saw it, they said to Him, “Look, Your disciples are doing what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath!”

He said to them, “Haven’t you read what David did when he and those who were with him were hungry— how he entered the house of God, and they ate the sacred bread, which is not lawful for him or for those with him to eat, but only for the priests? Or haven’t you read in the Law that on Sabbath days the priests in the temple violate the Sabbath and are innocent? But I tell you that something greater than the temple is here! If you had known what this means: I desire mercy and not sacrifice, you would not have condemned the innocent. For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath.”

Please know that I am in no way defending Satanic rituals by any means. Who am I to judge those outside of the church? However, we all have a conscious (from God) to do good on any day.

• Friendly
Reactions: Toro
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟963,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Truth be told, I don't celebrate Halloween. Not because I find any evil in it, but because I'm a grown-up. I think it is a kid's night of fun. I am not a kid, and my own kids are grown and gone. So I really have no use for it.

If my schedule is clear and the doorbell rings, though, you might catch me dropping a Snicker's bar into the sack of 4-year old princess on my porch. To say I can give a kid a Snicker's on 10/30 or 11/1 but not 10/31 because of some archaic meaning somebody attaches to a date is just silly. I think it is equally silly to drop a tract into a trick-or-treater's bag. It will most likely be thrown onto the street or discarded in the trash as an obstacle standing between a kid and his candy. And, the giver will have done no more than contribute to the destruction of God's creation by sacrificing a tree to make a piece of paper that will never satisfy its intended purpose.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree with some of the things you said, but the tone seems is off. It seems more condemning than encouraging. Here's why:

Romans 14:5-12
"One person considers one day to be above another day. Someone else considers every day to be the same. Each one must be fully convinced in his own mind. Whoever observes the day, observes it for the honor of the Lord. Whoever eats, eats for the Lord, since he gives thanks to God; and whoever does not eat, it is for the Lord that he does not eat it, yet he thanks God. For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself. If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. Christ died and came to life for this: that He might rule over both the dead and the living. But you, why do you criticize your brother? Or you, why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before the tribunal of God. For it is written:

As I live, says the Lord,
every knee will bow to Me,
and every tongue will give praise to God.
So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God."

Matthew 12:1-8
At that time Jesus passed through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick and eat some heads of grain. But when the Pharisees saw it, they said to Him, “Look, Your disciples are doing what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath!”

He said to them, “Haven’t you read what David did when he and those who were with him were hungry— how he entered the house of God, and they ate the sacred bread, which is not lawful for him or for those with him to eat, but only for the priests? Or haven’t you read in the Law that on Sabbath days the priests in the temple violate the Sabbath and are innocent? But I tell you that something greater than the temple is here! If you had known what this means: I desire mercy and not sacrifice, you would not have condemned the innocent. For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath.”

Please know that I am in no way defending Satanic rituals by any means. Who am I to judge those outside of the church? However, we all have a conscious (from God) to do good on any day.

We are not talking about Sabbaths. We are talking about secular holidays. There is a difference.

• Prayers
Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Christmas is coming up, so you’ll see a lot more.

Yep, there are wacko theories for every holiday, makes Christians look like morons.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Truth be told, I don't celebrate Halloween. Not because I find any evil in it, but because I'm a grown-up. I think it is a kid's night of fun. I am not a kid, and my own kids are grown and gone. So I really have no use for it.

If my schedule is clear and the doorbell rings, though, you might catch me dropping a Snicker's bar into the sack of 4-year old princess on my porch. To say I can give a kid a Snicker's on 10/30 or 11/1 but not 10/31 because of some archaic meaning you attach somebody attaches to a date is just silly. I think it is equally silly to drop a tract into a trick-or-treater's bag. It will most likely be thrown onto the street or discarded in the trash as an obstacle standing between a kid and his candy. And, the giver will have done no more than contribute to the destruction of God's creation by sacrificing a tree to make a piece of paper that will never satisfy its intended purpose.

Yet, adults do partake in Halloween. Some are even self proclaiming Christians. Some pastors have hell houses and use Halloweeen tracts. I think this is wrong because we are to be holy and separate and we are not to imitate that which is evil and dark. Witchcraft is condemned in the Bible. Yet, witches are displayed all over at the time of Halloween. People dress up like evil things that look they are like demons, zombies, etc. They glorify death and evil. To deny this is to deny reality. You may think it is harmless day of fun for kids, and that is all well good for you, but there is always a spiritual element attached to things. To Wiccans, Halloween is a special day. It is a day that glorifies the fear of evil. Yet, Jesus says do not fear the one who can destroy the body, but fear the one who can destroy both body and soul in Gehenna (Matthew 10:28). I celebrated Halloween. I know what it is about. You collect candy and get dressed in scary costumes, go to haunted houses and watch scary movies. Seems like harmless fun, but it is not. It is called programming. You glorify evil and If you put on an appearance of evil, then that is merely a reflection of what is going on inside a person. They are not representing God if they are putting on a form of evil or darkness. Christians are to dress modestly and not as evil things. I used to be big time into watching horror films all the time, and playing a particular horror role playing game. Me and my buddies used to try and visit haunted places. My way of life was focused on enjoying that which was dark and evil. I thought nothing of it when I was an unbeliever. But when I accepted Jesus as my Savior, something changed on the inside of me. None that garbage made any sense to me anymore. It no longer satisfied me like Jesus and His good ways did.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Here's a thought. Religious holidays have gradually become secular holidays because there is now such a mix or peoples that make up our country. This is not Satanic. It is a predictable course of events.

Then too, there is nothing, absolutely nothing, preventing the more religious people among us from observing the same holy days as always, taking in some of the non-religious elements that have grown up around these days, or not, as they choose. There is no need for them to ditch their own holiday, saying that it's been ruined beyond all use, merely because other people celebrate it, if they do, in their own way.

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I wonder why all the nutters come out and try to bind our souls by telling us that to be as "holy" as them we can't celebrate this or that holiday. Who the heck do they think they are, they are no one and no one should give them any quarter

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.