Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Mormons talk about many requirements for salvation. They talk about what Christians believe being wrong. I've shared some of that. This is taught to the 4 to 7-year-olds:

"Explain that the Apostles led the Church after Christ died. After the Apostles died, however, the people began to forget Jesus and the Apostles. They did not obey the commandments or follow Jesus’ teachings anymore. Soon the Church of Jesus Christ was no longer on the earth. Hundreds of years went by and there were many different churches, but none of them had the true priesthood."
https://www.lds.org/manual/primary-2/lesson-42?lang=eng

As I said, Mormons teach:
"Explain that the Apostles led the Church after Christ died. After the Apostles died, however, the people began to forget Jesus and the Apostles. They did not obey the commandments or follow Jesus’ teachings anymore. Soon the Church of Jesus Christ was no longer on the earth. Hundreds of years went by and there were many different churches, but none of them had the true priesthood."
https://www.lds.org/manual/primary-2/lesson-42?lang=eng

D&C 1
30 And also those to whom these commandments were given, might have power to lay the foundation of this church, and to bring it forth out of obscurity and out of darkness, the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth, with which I, the Lord, am well pleased, speaking unto the church collectively and not individually—
https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/1.38

Your church teaches:

"We cannot be saved by grace alone."
James E. Faust, “The Atonement: Our Greatest Hope,” October 2001 General Conference

"Our entire case as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints rests on the validity of [Joseph Smith's] glorious First Vision. . . . Nothing on which we base our doctrine, nothing we teach, nothing we live by is of greater importance than this initial declaration. I submit that if Joseph Smith talked with God the Father and His Beloved Son, then all else of which he spoke is true. This is the hinge on which turns the gate that leads to the path of salvation and eternal life."
Gordon B. Hinckley, Ensign, Nov. 1998, p. 71.
https://www.lds.org/manual/jesus-ch...and-the-son-appeared-to-joseph-smith?lang=eng

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1998/11/what-are-people-asking-about-us?lang=eng&para=p14#p14

May we ever be a light on the hill, an example in keeping the commandments, which have never changed and will never change.
http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/04/obedience-to-law-is-liberty?lang=eng

If a man gets a fullness of the priesthood of God he has to get it in the same way that Jesus Christ obtained it, and that was by keeping all the commandments and obeying all the ordinances of the house of the Lord.
Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p.308

Mormons teach these Requirements for Eternal Life:

To be exalted, we first must place our faith in Jesus Christ and then endure in that faith to the end of our lives. Our faith in Him must be such that we repent of our sins and obey His commandments.

He commands us all to receive certain ordinances:

We must be baptized.

We must receive the laying on of hands to be confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ and to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Brethren must receive the Melchizedek Priesthood and magnify their callings in the priesthood.

We must receive the temple endowment.

We must be married for eternity, either in this life or in the next.

In addition to receiving the required ordinances, the Lord commands all of us to:

Love God and our neighbors.

Keep the commandments.

Repent of our wrongdoings.

Search out our kindred dead and receive the saving ordinances of the gospel for them.

Attend our Church meetings as regularly as possible so we can renew our baptismal covenants by partaking of the sacrament.

Love our family members and strengthen them in the ways of the Lord.

Have family and individual prayers every day.

Teach the gospel to others by word and example.

Study the scriptures.

Listen to and obey the inspired words of the prophets of the Lord.

Finally, each of us needs to receive the Holy Ghost and learn to follow His direction in our individual lives.

Gospel Principles, c. 1978, 1979, and 1981, Chapter 47, Exaltation, p. 291-292
https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-principles/chapter-47-exaltation?lang=eng
You are just rehashing what is already found in the Bible. Dead faith will not save anyone. All of the requirements for salvation are mentioned in the Bible. So what is the problem?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Nowhere does the higher law--state that Sun is now Sabbath--you have kept the Roman sunday whien JS says he opposed the Roman church. Makes no sense.
You can worship on Saturday and I will worship on the day of Jesus Christ's resurrection, Easter Sunday. Man was not made for the Sabbath.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You are just rehashing what is already found in the Bible. Dead faith will not save anyone. All of the requirements for salvation are mentioned in the Bible. So what is the problem?

Jesus paid for the sins of His sheep; he didn't add Joseph Smith's requirements.

God only gives us living faith. We love Him because He first loved us.

Philippians 1
3 I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, 4 Always in every prayer of mine for you all making request with joy, 5 For your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now; 6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

God began the work.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
You can worship on Saturday and I will worship on the day of Jesus Christ's resurrection, Easter Sunday. Man was not made for the Sabbath.

No, the Sabbath was made for man---and it is a direct command from God which all of you are ignoring.
Jesus had plenty of time after the resurrection to make it clear that His resurrection was now to be the Sabbath--but he didn't. You claim we must keep the commandments, yet refuse to keep the only one that God said to remember. Which by the way, was Jesus Himself, for it was He who wrote them, and only He can change it, yet didn't say a word about it. Every single one of you, including JS, stand in violation of those commandments for if you break one---you break them all.
Isa 66:22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.
Isa 66:23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.
Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
No, the Sabbath was made for man---and it is a direct command from God which all of you are ignoring.
Jesus had plenty of time after the resurrection to make it clear that His resurrection was now to be the Sabbath--but he didn't. You claim we must keep the commandments, yet refuse to keep the only one that God said to remember. Which by the way, was Jesus Himself, for it was He who wrote them, and only He can change it, yet didn't say a word about it. Every single one of you, including JS, stand in violation of those commandments for if you break one---you break them all.
Isa 66:22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.
Isa 66:23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.
Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
According to another religion you are worshiping Jesus instead of Yeshua. Yeshua is the true God.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.
I think too many people get hung up on technicalities. Jesus suggested this when He said:
(New Testament | Matthew 12:2 - 8)

2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.
3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him;
4 How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?
5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?
6 But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.
7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.
8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I think too many people get hung up on technicalities. Jesus suggested this when He said:
(New Testament | Matthew 12:2 - 8)

2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.
3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him;
4 How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?
5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?
6 But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.
7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.
8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

Really? You call keeping God's commandments a technicality!!! This from someone that has repeatedly stated that we must keep the commandments in order to be saved -- are you now on the side of those that say they are no longer needed---which would still make JS wrong, again. there are 10 of them--you want only 9 to be of importance to God now?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Not just men, but all ex-Mormons:

Having one’s name “blotted out” (Alma 5:57) means excommunication from the Church and elimination from the book of life (see D&C 132:19). The priesthood power to bind a person in a saving covenant is also the power to loose him from that covenant (see Matthew 16:19).

Alma 5:57–58; 6:3. “Names Were Blotted Out”
https://www.lds.org/manual/book-of-mormon-student-manual/chapter-24-alma-5-7?lang=eng

Alma 5
57 And now I say unto you, all you that are desirous to follow the voice of the good shepherd, come ye out from the wicked, and be ye separate, and touch not their unclean things; and behold, their names shall be blotted out, that the names of the wicked shall not be numbered among the names of the righteous, that the word of God may be fulfilled, which saith: The names of the wicked shall not be mingled with the names of my people;

58 For the names of the righteous shall be written in the book of life, and unto them will I grant an inheritance at my right hand. And now, my brethren, what have ye to say against this? I say unto you, if ye speak against it, it matters not, for the word of God must be fulfilled.

(No wonder Mormons turned and walked away from me! )

59 For what shepherd is there among you having many sheep doth not watch over them, that the wolves enter not and devour his flock? And behold, if a wolf enter his flock doth he not drive him out? Yea, and at the last, if he can, he will destroy him.
https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/alma/5.57-58?lang=eng#56

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DM25

Jul 10, 2018
Edmonton
✟16,988.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
.? I guess this is one way to resurrect another dead thread. ^_^ It's interesting reading though (that I had forgotten).
Haha I actually made a post on here but ended up deleting it (I don't think there's a delete option). Just ignore the post. :p

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Doctrine and Covenants 84
40 Therefore, all those who receive the priesthood, receive this oath and covenant of my Father, which he cannot break, neither can it be moved.
41 But whoso breaketh this covenant after he hath received it, and altogether turneth therefrom, shall not have forgiveness of sins in this world nor in the world to come.
Doctrine and Covenants 84

View attachment 233566

Edited to add bold for emphasis.
Are you making the point that there seems to be a contradiction?

There is no contridiction. As long as you live up to the covenants that you make with the Lord, he (meaning Jesus Christ) will not break it, neither can it be moved.

But if a man break his oath and covenant, it certainly can be broken and moved.

It says the same thing in the bible. As long as a person believes in Jesus and trusts in Jesus and loves Jesus and keeps his commandments, there is nothing that can get in between you and Jesus and his promise is sure that you will be saved in his kingdom.

But if you say you believe in Jesus and then you do those things that are contrary to what Jesus has taught and even eventually reject Jesus, you have no promise any longer and will not be blessed with the grace of Jesus and be saved in his kingdom.

Am I on the right path with your OP?

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As long as a person believes in Jesus and trusts in Jesus and loves Jesus and keeps his commandments, there is nothing that can get in between you and Jesus and his promise is sure that you will be saved in his kingdom.

Peter 100: What percent of the time have you:
  • BELIEVED IN JESUS: __ 100% __ 95% __ 70% __ >50% OF THE TIME
  • TRUST IN JESUS:__ 100% __ 95% __ 70% __ >50% OF THE TIME
  • LOVED JESUS:__ 100% __ 95% __ 70% __ >50% OF THE TIME
  • KEPT JESUS' COMMANDMENTS: __ 100% __ 95% __ 70% __ >50% OF THE TIME
Will you candidly answer these questions for us?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I think too many people get hung up on technicalities.

I think Mormons do!

Baptism is not valid if it was done in a non-LDS church. It has to be done over if any part of the person's body wasn't fully immersed. Only Mormons can have the Gift of the Holy Ghost.

Mormon Requirements for Eternal Life:

He commands us all to receive certain ordinances:

We must be baptized.

We must receive the laying on of hands to be confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ and to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Brethren must receive the Melchizedek Priesthood and magnify their callings in the priesthood.

We must receive the temple endowment.

We must be married for eternity, either in this life or in the next.
In addition to receiving the required ordinances, the Lord commands all of us to:
. 1.
Love God and our neighbors.
. 2.
Keep the commandments.
. 3.
Repent of our wrongdoings.
. 4.
Search out our kindred dead and receive the saving ordinances of the gospel for them.
. 5.
Attend our Church meetings as regularly as possible so we can renew our baptismal covenants by partaking of the sacrament.
. 6.
Love our family members and strengthen them in the ways of the Lord.
. 7.
Have family and individual prayers every day.
. 8.
Teach the gospel to others by word and example.
. 9.
Study the scriptures.
. 10.
Listen to and obey the inspired words of the prophets of the Lord.
Finally, each of us needs to receive the Holy Ghost and learn to follow His direction in our individual lives.

How do ordinances and covenants prepare us for exaltation?

How does faith in Jesus Christ help us obey the commandments?

Why must we learn to follow the direction of the Holy Ghost to become exalted?

After We Have Been Faithful and Endured to the End

What happens when we have endured to the end in faithful discipleship to Christ?
The Lord has said, “If you keep my commandments and endure to the end you shall have eternal life, which gift is the greatest of all the gifts of God” (D&C 14:7). President Joseph Fielding Smith said, “If we will continue in God; that is, keep his commandments, worship him and live his truth; then the time will come when we shall be bathed in the fulness of truth, which shall grow brighter and brighter until the perfect day” (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:36).

The Prophet Joseph Smith taught: “When you climb up a ladder, you must begin at the bottom, and ascend step by step, until you arrive at the top; and so it is with the principles of the gospel—you must begin with the first, and go on until you learn all the principles of exaltation. But it will be a great while after you have passed through the veil [died] before you will have learned them. It is not all to be comprehended in this world; it will be a great work to learn our salvation and exaltation even beyond the grave” (Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith [2007], 268).

Joseph Smith taught: “It is the first principle of the Gospel to know for a certainty the Character of God. … He was once a man like us; … God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, sel. Joseph Fielding Smith [1976], 345–46).

Our Heavenly Father knows our trials, our weaknesses, and our sins. He has compassion and mercy on us. He wants us to succeed even as He did.

Imagine what joy each of us will have when we return to our Heavenly Father if we can say: “Father, I lived according to Thy will. I have been faithful and have kept Thy commandments. I am happy to be home again.” Then we will hear Him say, “Well done … ; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord” (Matthew 25:23).

Chapter 47: Exaltation

Just as surely as our Savior became the author of our eternal salvation, so must we through that same degree of obedience become the authors of our own exaltation.
-Henry D. Moyle, General Conference, April 1950
http://www.molalla.net/~sbirk/grace.shtml

"To be saved from spiritual death one must obey God's commandments. When we do we become cleansed from our sins and are saved from spiritual death because we are now worthy to return to God's presence. We call this Eternal Life."
- Rachel Woods, Do Latter-day Saints Believe We are Saved by Faith or Works?
About.com
"Wherefore teach it unto your children, that all men, everywhere, must repent, or they can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God, for no unclean thing can dwell there, or dwell in his presence." (Pearl of Great Price, Moses 6:57)

"Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength [If ye love me, keep my commandments], then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God. And again, if ye by the grace of God are perfect in Christ, and deny not his power, then are ye sanctified in Christ by the grace of God, through the shedding of the blood of Christ, which is in the covenant of the Father unto the remission of your sins, that ye become holy, without spot." (Book of Mormon: Moroni 10:32,33 )

Therefore if that man repenteth not, and remaineth and dieth an enemy to God, the demands of divine justice do awaken his immortal soul to a lively sense of his own guilt, which doth cause him to shrink from the presence of the Lord, and doth fill his breast with guilt, and pain, and anguish, which is like an unquenchable fire, whose flame ascendeth up forever and ever.
Mosiah 2:38

Obedience in the context of the gospel of Jesus Christ means to comply with God's will, to live in accordance with his teachings and the promptings of his Spirit, and to keep his commandments. Disobedience means to do anything less, whether it be to follow Satan and his will, to live in accordance with one's own selfish wants and desires, or to be a "slothful" person who must be "compelled in all things" (D&C 58:26).

Part of God's purpose in designing mortal life for his children was to "prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them" (Abr. 3:25; cf. D&C 98:14). Passing such a test is necessary for one to progress to become like God because he, himself, lives in accordance with law and principles of justice (Alma 42:22-26; see Godhood). Thus, obedience to divine law is essential to eternal progression, and those who live obediently in this life will "have glory added upon their heads for ever and ever" (Abr. 3:26).

Obedience by Cheryl Brown
Obedience

Is it impossible for some to keep the commandments of God?

And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.
1 Nephi 3:7[/QUOTE]

ldsces:

E. Through the Atonement and by obedience to God’s commandments, we can receive eternal life.
. ■ “To get salvation we must not only do some things, but everything which God has commanded. Men may preach and practice everything except those things which God commands us to do, and will be damned at last. We may tithe mint and rue, and all manner of herbs, and still not obey the commandments of God. The object with me is to obey and teach others to obey God in just what He tells us to do. It mattereth not whether the principle is popular or unpopular, I will always maintain a true principle, even if I stand alone in it” (Joseph Smith, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 332).
■ “If we keep the commandments of the Lord, we shall enjoy the presence of both the Father and the Son, and we shall receive the Father’s kingdom and shall be heirs of God—joint heirs with our elder Brother. O how wonderful, how great the blessings of the Lord to the Latter-day Saints and to all who are willing to go through the waters of baptism and abide by the law and keep the commandments of the Lord!” (Smith, “Keep the Commandments,” 3).
Doctrines of the Gospel Student Manual, Chapter 17, Obedience , a Law of Heaven
Chapter 17: Obedience, a Law of Heaven

“Actually, we do not have to do what the Lord commands us, but we cannot obtain the rewards and blessings he has promised us unless we do.

“For all who will have a blessing at my hands shall abide the law which was appointed for the blessing, and the conditions thereof, as were instituted before the foundations of the world. (D&C 132:5.)”
Elray L. Christiansen, General Conference, Oct. 1972
We Have Made Covenants with the Lord - ElRay L. Christiansen

Upvote 0