Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am a very religous person...but i am not baptized . i was dedicated as a child though. Is god unhappy with me for not being baptized? Will i not go to heaven?

Don't you realize the benefits of baptism??

Here is a study my friend did and I'm posting it with her permission:

WHAT BLESSINGS DO WE RECEIVE FROM GOD IN BAPTISM?

1 Peter 3:20-21. … in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it a few people, eight in all, were saved through water — and this water symbolizes Baptism that now saves you also.

Colossians 2:11-12. In Him you were also circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ, having been buried with Him in Baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.

Romans 6:3-10. Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? Therefore we have been buried with Him through Baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; for he who has died is freed from sin. Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, is never to die again; death no longer is master over Him. For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.

* Note: These passages from Colossians and Romans are summarized well by Dr. Lowell Green: “Baptism is the retroactive participation in the work of Good Friday and Easter Sunday — even better, it is incorporation into the body of the risen and ascended Savior ...”

Galatians 3:27. For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

Eph. 5:26. Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word.

Titus 3:5. He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit.

Corinthians 12:13. For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.

1 Corinthians 6:11. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Acts 22:16. And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.

Acts 2:37-39. Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?" And Peter said to them, "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself."

Mark 16:16. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

* Note: In these passages, the Word of God associates Baptism with dying and rising with Christ, being clothed with Christ, being cleansed and made holy by Christ, having sins washed away, receiving the Holy Spirit, being regenerated (reborn) and renewed, receiving the forgiveness of sins, and being saved.

Upvote 0

Hospes

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟48,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It strikes me as self-contradicting to call Jesus your Lord and yet intentionally decide to not obey him in following his simple command to be baptized. (BTW, I do not mean to direct this at anyone in specific.) Just saying...

Upvote 0
Jan 20, 2013
✟15,829.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
It strikes me as self-contradicting to call Jesus your Lord and yet intentionally decide to not obey him in following his simple command to be baptized. (BTW, I do not mean to direct this at anyone in specific.) Just saying...

And I'm just saying (again!) Baptism does not save you and is not your passport into Heaven :)

Upvote 0

coons786c

Feb 23, 2007
Port Saint Lucie
✟9,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Your getting alot of opinions here and not sound doctrine. Jesus said Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptised shall be saved,he that believeth not shall be damed.
We are living in the last days and there is great deception in these last days where people are saying it doesn't take all that to be saved. Yes it does.
You MUST be baptised in the NAME of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins by immersion in water. If you do not believe in him you shall die in your sins.

Jesus said St John 3:5 Except a man be born of water and spirit he cannot enter into the kindgdom of God. Period end of story.

There is no other way to be saved.

People will say, well the thief on the cross was not baptised. They are correct u know why? Because Until Jesus last breath on the cross they were still living under the law of Moses and blood was being poured out from Jesus. Until his spirit left his body, then Grace started up and the Church started on the Day of Pentecost Acts 2nd chapter.

Upvote 0

Hospes

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟48,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And I'm just saying (again!) Baptism does not save you and is not your passport into Heaven :)
I agree; I hope you did not take my comment as a rebuke of sorts. If so, I really didn't mean it as one. At most I hoped it as a strong encouragement for those believers wondering if they should get baptized.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
remember that the word 'baptize' simply means 'immerse'; not 'immerse in water'. for example, consider this scripture:

(Mat 3:11 KJV) I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
(Mat 3:12 KJV) Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

it seems clear that John the Baptist is saying that he immerses people in water, but that Jesus would immerse people in the Holy Spirit.

now look at this scripture:

(Rom 6:1 KJV) What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
(Rom 6:2 KJV) God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
(Rom 6:3 KJV) Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
(Rom 6:4 KJV) Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
(Rom 6:5 KJV) For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
(Rom 6:6 KJV) Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

obviously, assuming that the word 'baptized' means 'immersion in water' would not make sense in this context.

notice what the author of Acts quotes Jesus Himself as saying:

(Act 1:1 KJV) The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach,
(Act 1:2 KJV) Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen:
(Act 1:3 KJV) To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:
(Act 1:4 KJV) And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.
(Act 1:5 KJV) For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

here again John is referred to immersing people in water, and Jesus is referring to immersing people in the Holy Ghost (Holy Spirit).

(Mar 16:15 KJV) And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
(Mar 16:16 KJV) He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
(Mar 16:17 KJV) And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
(Mar 16:18 KJV) They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

obviously many people believe that Jesus was talking about immersing people in water, but it is also possible that Jesus wqas talking about immersing people in the Holy Spirit, especially since He is quoted making the difference between what He baptized (immersed) in (the Holy Spirit)versus what John the Baptist baptized (immersed) in (water).

look at one more scripture:

(Joh 3:5 KJV) Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water andofthe Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
(Joh 3:6 KJV)That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

many believe that Jesus is referring to water baptism in John 3:5, but others would argue that John 3:6 interprets Him to be referring to physical birth as the unborn child is immersed in water in the mother's womb.

one last thing to look at:

(Joh 4:1 KJV) When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John,
(Joh 4:2 KJV) (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)
(Joh 4:3 KJV) He left Judaea, and departed again into Galilee.

it is worthy to note that there is no direct statement in scripture that indicates that Jesus (our example) ever immersed anyone in water.

you need to do your own research and seek God's leading for yourself in this, as there are many opinions that can be argued based on what scriptures are selected as being relevant, and there is not agreement in the Body of Christ today as to what exactly is the Truth about baptism.

Upvote 0

coons786c

Feb 23, 2007
Port Saint Lucie
✟9,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
remember that the word 'baptize' simply means 'immerse'; not 'immerse in water'. for example, consider this scripture:

(Mat 3:11 KJV) I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
(Mat 3:12 KJV) Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

it seems clear that John the Baptist is saying that he immerses people in water, but that Jesus would immerse people in the Holy Spirit.

(Rom 6:1 KJV) What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
(Rom 6:2 KJV) God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
(Rom 6:3 KJV) Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
(Rom 6:4 KJV) Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
(Rom 6:5 KJV) For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
(Rom 6:6 KJV) Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

obviously, assuming that the word 'baptized' means 'immersion in water' would not make sense in this context.

notice what the author of Acts quotes Jesus Himself as saying:

(Act 1:1 KJV) The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach,
(Act 1:2 KJV) Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen:
(Act 1:3 KJV) To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:
(Act 1:4 KJV) And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.
(Act 1:5 KJV) For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

here again John is referred to immersing people in water, and Jesus is referring to immersing people in the Holy Ghost (Holy Spirit).

(Mar 16:15 KJV) And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
(Mar 16:16 KJV) He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
(Mar 16:17 KJV) And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
(Mar 16:18 KJV) They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

obviously many people believe that Jesus was talking about immersing people in water, but it is also possible that Jesus wqas talking about immersing people in the Holy Spirit, especially since He is quoted making the difference between what He baptized (immersed) in (the Holy Spirit)versus what John the Baptist baptized (immersed) in (water).

look at one more scripture:

(Joh 3:5 KJV) Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water andofthe Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
(Joh 3:6 KJV)That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

many believe that Jesus is referring to water baptism in John 3:5, but others would argue that John 3:6 interprets Him to be referring to physical birth as the unborn child is immersed in water in the mother's womb.

one last thing to look at:

(Joh 4:1 KJV) When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John,
(Joh 4:2 KJV) (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)
(Joh 4:3 KJV) He left Judaea, and departed again into Galilee.

it is worthy to note that there is no direct statement in scripture that indicates that Jesus (our example) ever immersed anyone in water.

you need to do your own research and seek God's leading for yourself in this, as there are many opinions that can be argued based on what scriptures are selected as being relevant, and there is not agreement in the Body of Christ today as to what exactly is the Truth about baptism.

It is refering to water baptism because we are buried with him in baptism unto death. The apostles preach water baptism and so did Paul, you need to study more and rightly divide the word of truth.
Baptism could also be used both water and spirit, for whoever believth in him hath eternal life.
But St John 7:39 says that when you believe you should recieve the gift of the Holy Ghost, which the apostles taught.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

coons786c

Feb 23, 2007
Port Saint Lucie
✟9,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
sound advice for everyone

;)

No Jesus says, Search the scriptures for in them ye think ye have eternal life, and they are they which testify of me. Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Upvote 0

Barricade24

Feb 3, 2012
In a Chair
✟8,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'd still encourage you to get baptized. I am in the process of being baptized myself. I feel it is a good thing to do because it shows one's commitment to God. You will probably still go to Heaven but God does command us to be baptized and that is a pretty good reason to be baptized.

Upvote 0

coons786c

Feb 23, 2007
Port Saint Lucie
✟9,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I'd still encourage you to get baptized. I am in the process of being baptized myself. I feel it is a good thing to do because it shows one's commitment to God. You will probably still go to Heaven but God does command us to be baptized and that is a pretty good reason to be baptized.

I dont care what any church says, why ignore what Jesus says about being baptised. This is how u distinguish truth from error. If we all just follow his words and not doubt it maybe there would not be so many religions out there. I say again You MUST be baptised in the NAME of JESUS Christ for the REMISSION OF SINS, they ye shall recieve the gift of the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues, just like the bible says.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

theophilus40

Nov 6, 2012
✟8,807.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was baptized as an infant, but of course, I never truly could verbally accept Christ since I was so young. I due wish to be baptized now that I am older, but I don't know if being baptized twice is allowed... I do not think you will go to Hell. Salvation is through our Lord Jesus Christ, not through baptism.
The Bible tells of some people who were baptized twice.
And it happened that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul passed through the inland country and came to Ephesus. There he found some disciples. And he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” And they said, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.” And he said, “Into what then were you baptized?” They said, “Into John's baptism.” And Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus.” On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
(Acts 19:1-5 ESV)

After we are saved by faith in Christ we are to publicly declare that we are now followers of Christ by being baptized in water. Whether we were baptized prior to salvation is irrelevant.

I was baptized twice because my first baptism took place while I was unsaved. I didn't receive much accurate Bible teaching when I was young and I came to the conclusion that the way to be saved was to be baptized and then try to live a good life. I got baptized and became a member of a church without really being saved. I later learned the true was of salvation, through faith in Jesus Christ, and finally got saved, and after this I got baptized the way the Bible commands.

Upvote 0