What happened to the Christianity that gave us the Holy Roman Empire...

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's funny that when people make accusations, they forget that for the one finger you point at me, you have three more pointing back at you. And it's very "Christian" of you, the final comment you make. Jesus said "Judge not, lest you be judged." I'll leave it at that.

Amen!

Well as for my final comment, I will stand with the Apostle Paul, Peter and many other saints when they had to deal with either ignorant or intentional errors. Especially when shown that simple basic language speaks against you rhypotheses.

And What did I accuse you of besides failing at lnaguage , which BTW you are guilty and convicted as guilty. But don't believe me- go find an English teacher and look up Greek grammar online and learn instead of clinging to teh Titanic.

I will no longer respond and you can have the last word if you wish, or not!

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I lived in Greece for 12 years. You don't know what you are talking about.

Your own little snippet shows that action is the primary of a verb, but time is also involved! I will go is an action with an undefined time!

I have gone is an action with a undefined time.

I keep going is an action with a continual undefined tome!

I don't care if you spent 50 years in Greece- Greek verbs give time in many many constructs!

I may not have gone to Greece, but I have studied Greek grammar!

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Believe what you want. A Protestant is simply a Catholic who doesn't like the doctrine.

And therin lies you rgreat problem. God recognizes no denominations!

Only those who trust in the shed blood of Jesus at Calvary as the only acceptable payment God the Father accepts for their sin debt!

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's funny how this topic about the state of the Church became an anti-Apostolic rant.

Well I do not rant against the Apostles.

Just about false dpoctrines that sprung up after the Apostles!

Like a book written a century after the fact that is the only source text for temple maidens, Mary staying virgin, and is not even recognized as official by the very sect of Christendom that holds to those doctrines! That makes for a dangerous stance!

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,183,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes that is how Greek verbs work!

The perfect tense (and pluperfect in many cases), connotes an action that having begun continues to so without interruption! so if Mary8 wanted to say she had not had sex at all (an action) and had no ontention of having sex in the future (another action denoted intime) God would have inspired the perfect tense! Sorry but that is Greek!

And you are wrong about the indicative. From a greek grammar website:

The indicative mood (οριστική) presents the action or the event as something real or certain, in other words as an objective fact. This mood is to be found in all tenses.
Greek Grammar verb moods
As the example in your link demonstrates, there is no implied ending to the fact of Mary "not knowing" a man.

Η Ελένη μιλάει ελληνικά.
Helen speaks Greek.​

The above example demonstrates it is an objective fact that Helen speaks Greek.

ἄνδρα οὐ γινώσκω
I'm not knowing a man​

The above quote demonstrates it is an objective fact that Mary is not knowing a man.

If Mary's statement was in the perfect tense it would indicate a completed action, but since the Archangel's statement that she "will conceive" refers to an action that has not yet occurred, such a statement would make no sense in the context of a betrothed woman who intended to have children with her husband.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As the example in your link demonstrates, there is no implied ending to the fact of Mary "not knowing" a man.

Η Ελένη μιλάει ελληνικά.
Helen speaks Greek.​

The above example demonstrates it is an objective fact that Helen speaks Greek.

ἄνδρα οὐ γινώσκω
I'm not knowing a man​

The above quote demonstrates it is an objective fact that Mary is no knowing a man.

If Mary's statement was in the perfect tense it would indicate a completed action, but since the Archangel's statement that she "will conceive" refers to an action that has not yet occurred, such a statement would make no sense in the context of a betrothed woman who intended to have children with her husband.

You should have quit while you were desperately behind!

Your translation of Mary's is wrong! Knowing is an errant English word. That would have be the perfect acitve indicative which means that she had no tknown a man yet, she is not knowing any man now and will not know a man in the future.

But it is the present active indicative which is a simple statement of fact. Mary just said she had not had sex to that point! Nothing about the future.

2036 [e]
34 Eipen
34 Εἶπεν
34 Said
34 V-AIA-3S
1161 [e]
de
δὲ
then
Conj
3137 [e]
Mariam
Μαριὰμ
Mary
N-NFS
4314 [e]
pros
πρὸς
to
Prep
3588 [e]
ton
τὸν
the
Art-AMS
32 [e]
angelon
ἄγγελον ,
angel
N-AMS
4459 [e]
Pōs
Πῶς
How
Adv
1510 [e]
estai
ἔσται
will be
V-FIM-3S
3778 [e]
touto
τοῦτο ,
this
DPro-NNS
1893 [e]
epei
ἐπεὶ
since
Conj
435 [e]
andra
ἄνδρα
a man
N-AMS
3756 [e]
ou
οὐ
not
Adv
1097 [e]
ginōskō
γινώσκω ?
I know
V-PIA-1S

You are just twisting language to seek to defend a position the Bible teaches the opposite of.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,183,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You should have quit while you were desperately behind!
Those with strong arguments have no need to resort to goading.
Your translation of Mary's is wrong!
It is fine.
Lesson 2
The Present Active Indicative forms of λύω might also be translated, "I am loosing," "you are loosing," "he is loosing," "we are loosing," "you (plural) are loosing," "they are loosing." In English, we may mean one thing if we say "He pitches" and something a bit different if we say "He is pitching." In the former case, we may mean he regularly plays the position of pitcher. In the latter case, we may mean, he is pitching at this very moment. In Greek, the present active indicative is used for both of these ideas. In both cases, the Aktionsart is linear, but in one case the action is habitual or iterative. When translating from Greek, you will need to let the nature of the verb and especially the context of its use determine the whether or not to use "-ing" in English.​
Knowing is an errant English word.
:scratch:
That would have be the perfect acitve indicative which means that she had no tknown a man yet, she is not knowing any man now and will not know a man in the future.

But it is the present active indicative which is a simple statement of fact. Mary just said she had not had sex to that point! Nothing about the future.
I've already explained why that doesn't work. A young betrothed woman who intends to have children would not need to question the Archangel as to how she would conceive. Mary demonstrates that she understands perfectly how women usually conceive, by "knowing a man", so her question only makes sense in a context of her continuing to "not know a man". Your grammatical arguments are based on a preconception that Mary has other children by Joseph.
You are just twisting language to seek to defend a position the Bible teaches the opposite of.
In actual fact it is you who is doing this.

Also, in post #193 you claimed the source I linked to was "very wrong", yet the site you linked to in your subsequent response says exactly the same thing. It seems you are simply making stuff up.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Those with strong arguments have no need to resort to goading.

Well you are wrong again, so deal with it!

In actual fact it is you who is doing this.

Also, in post #193 you claimed the source I linked to was "very wrong", yet the site you linked to in your subsequent response says exactly the same thing. It seems you are simply making stuff up.

No for my site does not claim that the construct gave any hint of permanent celibacy!

I've already explained why that doesn't work. A young betrothed woman who intends to have children would not need to question the Archangel as to how she would conceive. Mary demonstrates that she understands perfectly how women usually conceive, by "knowing a man", so her question only makes sense in a context of her continuing to "not know a man". Your grammatical arguments are based on a preconception that Mary has other children by Joseph.

Really? Did anyone ever have the "talk" with you? Mary was simply asking a perfectly normal question; "How can I have a baby when I have not had sex with a man !" She simply said she hasn't had sex so how can she get pregnant without having sex! YOur understanding of simple phrases is really apalling. This is the present indicative. Mary is stating a simple fact. There is not even th eslightest whiff of perpetual virginity in her simple query. YOu should know this.

I've already explained why that doesn't work.

And your explanation doesn't pass teh grammatical sniff test! Verbs are action words and verbs also can and do connote time. the perfect in Greek speaks of a work done in the past and continues on into the future! It is that simple. Don't believe , google any basic greek grammar book and learn!

When Mary told the angel how could it be- The Greek is the present active indicative. What that means is she is th eone who has not had sex and was simply stating that fact!

It is fine.
Lesson 2
The Present Active Indicative forms of λύω might also be translated, "I am loosing," "you are loosing," "he is loosing," "we are loosing," "you (plural) are loosing," "they are loosing." In English, we may mean one thing if we say "He pitches" and something a bit different if we say "He is pitching." In the former case, we may mean he regularly plays the position of pitcher. In the latter case, we may mean, he is pitching at this very moment. In Greek, the present active indicative is used for both of these ideas. In both cases, the Aktionsart is linear, but in one case the action is habitual or iterative. When translating from Greek, you will need to let the nature of the verb and especially the context of its use determine the whether or not to use "-ing" in English.

Let us see if it is fine, shall we?

34 Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?

LESSON V: Verbs—Introductory.
Objectives
In this chapter, you will learn the essential concepts related to the Ancient Greek verb: voice, mood, aspect, tense, person, number and the verb stem. You will also learn how to conjugate verbs in one tense: the present active indicative. You should become familiar with these essential concepts and learn the conjugation of the present active indicative before moving on to the next section.

Voice
48. The Greek verb has three VOICES, the active, middle, and passive.

The active voice is used when the subject of the sentence is the agent of the action described in the verb.

The middle voice denotes that the subject is both an agent of an action and somehow concerned with the action.

The passive voice is used to show that the subject of the verb is acted on.

Mood
49. There are four MOODS, the indicative, subjunctive, optative, and imperative. These are the finite moods. To them are added, in the conjugation of the verb, the infinitive and participles.

The indicative is the most common verb form you will encounter. It is used for simple statements and questions.

The subjunctive and optative are used in contexts to denote prohibitions, conditions, purpose, and suppositions. These will be covered in more detail beginning in lesson thirty-three.

The imperative is used to give orders and commands

The infinitive has voice and tense but not person and number. It is translated with the English word "to ...". i.e. ἔχειν is the infinitive form of the verb ἔχω and it is translated "to have."

The participle is a verbal noun that is translated with the English ending -ing. i.e. ἔχων is the participle of the verb and it is translated "having".

Tense
50. There are seven TENSES, the present, imperfect, future, aorist, perfect, pluperfect, and future perfect.

The present tense is used to describe an ongoing action in the present time.

The imperfect tense is used to describe an ongoing action in the past.

The future is used to describe a simple or ongoing action in the future.

The aorist tense is used to describe a simple action in the past.

The perfect tense is used to describe a completed action in the present time.

The pluperfect is used to describe a completed action in the past.

The future perfect is used to describe a completed action in the future.

The present, future, perfect, and future perfect indicative are called primary tenses; the imperfect, aorist, and pluperfect indicative are called secondary tenses.

Seems a Greek Grammar book shows you are wrong again ! Present Active Paticiple would be averb that has the "ing" ending!

Once again for your instruction: The present active indiciative means this:

The present tense is used to describe an ongoing action in the present time.
The active voice is used when the subject of the sentence is the agent of the action described in the verb.
The indicative is the most common verb form you will encounter. It is used for simple statements and questions.

So Mary simply told Gabriel, How can I get pregnant, seeing as I am presently not engaging in sex with any man?

Thus endeth the lesson! No charge!

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,183,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So Mary simply told Gabriel, How can I get pregnant, seeing as I am presently not engaging in sex with any man?
The Archangel did not say "you will conceive NOW" or "you HAVE conceived", he said "you WILL conceive".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,183,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Seems a Greek Grammar book shows you are wrong again ! Present Active Paticiple would be averb that has the "ing" ending!
Your Greek Grammar book is not exhaustive, as evidenced by the site you linked earlier.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TexFire316

Come as a child, with no agenda
Jan 31, 2017
Conroe, Texas
Visit site
✟29,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Cycle of Nations

"From bondage to spiritual faith.
From spiritual faith to great courage.
From courage to liberty.
From liberty to abundance.
From abundance to selfishness.
From selfishness to complacency.
From complacency to apathy.
From apathy to dependency.
From dependency back again into bondage."

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Archangel did not say "you will conceive NOW" or "you HAVE conceived", he said "you WILL conceive".

No problem there at all! He gave no specific time frame! He only modified it by telling her that teh conception would occur when the Holy Spirit overshadowed her!

Nothing about her never having sex again or never having any other kids or implications theroof!

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your Greek Grammar book is not exhaustive, as evidenced by the site you linked earlier.

Well as that took ten seconds to find online, it is a basic primer for those who do not know or those who mangle the Greek as you have!

Greek verbs are like English verbs, they are action words and they also can connote a sense of time.

I went to the store (an action in the past)
I am going to the store (an action in the present)
I will go to the store ( an action yet to take place)

It really is that simple.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟891,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Most things are big subjects. I would like to see people answer in their own words not just links if possible. Why has Christianity cease to be, and turned their back, on what they were?

Christianity has never ceased to be some have simply misrepresented Christ and have repented. Notice that all of these disasters you mentioned happened after the East West Schism and had nothing to do with the Eastern Churches. Just saying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟891,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This was a Christianity that lasted over 1,000 years.

I would like to know why it was abandoned by a new Christianity which now repudiates it.

Beginning when? The events you mentioned didn’t take place until after the Schism of 1054. So no this didn’t take place for over 1000 years.

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟576,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Christianity has never ceased to be some have simply misrepresented Christ and have repented. Notice that all of these disasters you mentioned happened after the East West Schism and had nothing to do with the Eastern Churches. Just saying.
The OP mentioned the Crusades, the Templars, and the Inquisitions. I would say that the Crusades and the Templars most definitely involved the Eastern Byzantine Empire's failure to stop the advance of the Seljuk Turks into the Middle East and Turkey. The role of Western Christianity in this was in recognizing the danger that the advancement of Islam into the birthplace of Christianity was and in calling for military campaigns to halt this. The campaigns were then carried out by those much better suited than the Pope to run such an endeavor. I think the OP is rightfully saying that in trying to tar the Pope with revisionist Islamic-biased rhetoric, we have turned our back on the brave men who fought and died to keep Europe Christian. What a strange thing when those whose freedom to worship depended on these men, use that freedom to denigrate them.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,183,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well as that took ten seconds to find online, it is a basic primer for those who do not know or those who mangle the Greek as you have!
Goading again! My knowledge of Greek is not purely academic. I use it daily with my wife (who is Greek) and my children (who were all born in Greece).
Greek verbs are like English verbs, they are action words and they also can connote a sense of time.
This is true at a superficial level only.
I went to the store (an action in the past)
I am going to the store (an action in the present)
I will go to the store ( an action yet to take place)

It really is that simple.
It really isn't that simple. There is no simple equivalence between Greek and English grammar.

Upvote 0