Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Both the Dark Ages issue and the issue of whether Tradition should be followed are off topic. The Tradition board on GT was recently re-opened (like the hydra, you cut off the head and two more come back). Go there for that discussion.
He does appear to have an obsession with the "Dark Ages" and the RCC.........

http://www.christianforums.com/t7835350-51/#post66097365
Dark Ages extermination of heretics - infallibly correct?

Originally Posted by BobRyan
So then - LATERAN IV is an ecumenical council that called for the "extermination of heretics", and placed that command in canon law for the RCC.

Question - is that bad history that needs to be condemned as a crime against humanity and a motivation for the inquisition in those dark times?

Or is it something to be celebrated - as if the extermination of heretics is a "good thing" when Catholics do it - but a bad thing when Muslims do it?

Who would like to join me in staying out of the dark ages - and declaring sin by its right name when it comes to extermination of this or that person who might differ with you?

I gotta think there are one or two evangelicals and Protestants that have figured this one out.

In Christ,

Bob
Dude, do you—or any SDA's for that matter—ever think of anything besides the RCC? If I didn't know anybody I'd say you have a closet love affair going on the way you guys obsess over it. You even give it more attention than some Catholics.

Try something new on for a change.
Originally Posted by MoreCoffee BobRyan said, So then - LATERAN IV is an ecumenical council that called for the "extermination of heretics", and placed that command in canon law for the RCC.

Here's the truth. The contrast between BobRyan's claim and the truth is stark.

Fourth Lateran Council (1215)

. After this discourse, followed by moral exhortation, the pope presented to the council seventy decrees or canons, already formulated, on the most important points of dogmatic and moral theology. Dogmas were defined points of discipline were decided, measures were drawn up against heretics, and, finally, the conditions of the next crusade were regulated.

The fathers of the council did little more than approve the seventy decrees presented to them; this approbation, nevertheless, sufficed to impart to the acts thus formulated and promulgated the value of ecumenical decrees. Most of them are somewhat lengthy and are divided into chapters. The following are the most important:

• Canon 2: Condemnation of the doctrines of Joachim of Flora and of Amaury.
  • Canon 3: Procedure and penalties against heretics and their protectors.
  • Canon 4: Exhortation to the Greeks to reunite with the Roman Church and accept its maxims, to the end that, according to the Gospel, there may be only one fold and only one shepherd.
  • Canons 68, 69: Jews and Moslems shall wear a special dress to enable them to be distinguished from Christians. Christian princes must take measures to prevent blasphemies against Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
it is a term everyone understands - has been in use for many decades if not centuries and conveys the point of a time of Biblical ignorance in general among the populace.
I guess I'm glad enough to be agreed with about the serviceability of the term "Dark Ages," but not for that reason. It's called the Dark Ages because of a marked decline in social and political order, security, cultural standards, learning, and even the abilities needed for ordinary building trades. All of this happened in consequence of the decline and fall of the Roman Empire and the advance of the Germanic and Hunnish invaders, the so-called "Barbarians." It is not because of "Biblical ignorance," although a general decline in literacy and political stability would naturally make it more difficult for the average person to be knowledgeable concerning the Bible.

Upvote 0