White House, TN
✟16,853.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I apologize for jumping into for jumping into the middle of the conversation, especially since I haven't taken time to read through the whole thread. So please pardon me if I repeat points others have made.

In short, to answer the OP, "Hell" is actually not a scriptural word or concept. The three words translated as Hell in the KJV all do not mean Hell or imply ECT. The Hebrew word Sheol means grave, realm of the dead. The Greek word Hades also means grave, realm of the dead. And the Greek word Gehenna is a transliteration of the Hebrew phrase Ga Hinnom which correctly translated into English is Hinnom Valley, as actual valley on the SSW side of Jerusalem. Scripture actually never warns of a place named and correctly translated as Hell. And it seems to me that IF there was a Hell that it would be named and warned of in scripture repeatedly and specifically.

In modern English versions Sheol and Hades are being correctly translated as grave or realm of the dead, or at the least being only transliterated. Sadly, Gehenna is still being mistranslated as Hell in most English translations, and only minimally transliterated as Gehenna in a few translations. It should be correctly translated as Hinnom Valley and left to the student to interpret its metaphorical use by Jesus. I believe Jesus, when warning of being cast into Hinnom Valley is referencing its tragic history, calling to the mind of the Jew the destruction of Jerusalem by the Babylonians because of the erection of an idol to Molech, a power idol with the head of a bull, torso of a man, and a belly of a furnace. The Jews actually sacrificed their children in the flames of the idol, which Jeremiah and Isaiah prophecy against. Worms that don't die are maggots, and the fire that doesn't go out is a fire fueled by sulfur which was used to burn things that are not easily burned like dead bodies. In the destruction of Jerusalem, the bodies were piled high in Hinnom Valley, eaten by maggots, dogs, and wild animals, and consumed by fire. Warning 1st century Jews of being cast into Hinnom Valley would have been more horrific than warning a Jew today of being cast into the ovens of Auschwitz! And Matthew is the author that predominantly quotes Jesus using this metaphor; and he wrote to the Jews just prior to the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans!

Sadly, by mistranslating Gehenna as Hell one looses its historical significance and actually nullifies the passages of their power to call anyone to repentance, when these passages were actually meant to call the children of God to repentance and a holy life. Believers disregard the warnings when mistranslated as Hell because they believe in Jesus for their salvation, rightly so. And unbelievers don't care what the passages say because they don't believe!

For example, where Jesus says it's better to cut off your hand or pluck out your eye than to be cast into Hinnom Valley, He's warning the children of God to get sin out of their lives so that they 1) don't come into such bondage to evil that they'd even sacrifice their children to the idols of their hearts, 2) bring destruction to all that they know and love and be carried off into bondage, or even 3) have one's life end up being trashed! It's a powerful and true warning of sins ability to destroy, a message meant for the children of God!

• Informative
Reactions: surrender1
Upvote 0

ShermanN

Feb 18, 2007
White House, TN
✟16,853.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Concerning the Revelation's lake of fire, I think it would be best translated as the Dead Sea. Why? The Greek is actually "the lake of the fire and the brimstone". And on the banks of the Dead Sea are the ash remains of Sodom and Gomorrah which were destroyed by fire and brimstone. It is a metaphorical picture of judgment and all that is worthless or evil being discarded. But scripture promises that one day even the Dead Sea will be restored to life.

Also, people get hung up on the Dead Sea scene, but do not follow the story all the way through. Every mention of the nations and the kings in Revelation before the Dead Sea scene they are aligned with the anti-Christ. After the Dead Sea scene though the nations and the kings are in the New Jerusalem, the nations are healed by the leaves of the trees beside the river of life, and the kings are bringing their wealth to the King of kings! They are not part of the Bride, but are still reconciled to God. It's important to understand passages in their context, their literary, historical, cultural, and authorial context. A text without a context is a pretext! One day truly every knee shall bow in worship and every tongue shall joyfully proclaim that Jesus is Lord! Now that's Good News!

Upvote 0

TKICBS

TKICBS
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2013
Canada
Visit site
✟50,395.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hell with its fire isn't occupied yet.
Even the devil isn't there yet.

Hell which is the grave - a lot of people are there.
When we die, we all go to hell (Sheol).
The devil is there too.

Heaven - God is there, his angels are there, the 4 living creatures are there and the 24 elders are there. Only 3 people are there.

Hell will be cast into the lake of fire. So then it already exists. There are hundreds of testimonies of Christians who died and went to heaven or hell or both. Jesus went into the lower regions of the earth when he died on the cross. In the lower regions of the earth Lava flows. Why is this so hard to accept? Abraham's bosom was a place kept apart from the fiery furnace of hell. Jesus said fear God who has the power to throw you into hell. Without the fear of God Christians go into error. They do not care for truth but rather for what they feel is true. Cast down every high thought and imagination that rises up against the knowledge of God and bring into captivity every though into Christ.
When we die in Christ our body lays in the ground until the rapture, but our soul is absent from the body and present with the Lord. With sinners it is the same but they are absent from the body and present in hell in the lower regions of the earth. We have a spirit from God and we have a soul created through the life of the spirit in our body since conception. The soul and the spirit are separate entities living in the body which is the temple. Our soul is made up of our mind our will and our emotions. We are at peace when the spirit and the soul are in union. We are in confusion when truth comes that is contrary to what believe. We are at peace once more when we ether reject the truth and remain in error or we accept the true and grow in it. Most Christians are in great error but have peace because they accept the errors as truth. Every denomination has different doctrine. Some are is gross heresy others are just in error in some areas. None can see their error or they would repent of it. But error in doctrine does not condemn us to hell. If it did no-one would be saved. Thank God for His grace. But there is heresy that leads to sin and this will condemn one to hell. There is a line where judgement leads to hell on one side and judgement leads to loss of rewards on the other side. Only God knows where that line stands, but I would rather be obedient to all I can see and search where I may be in error thane take the chance of standing on the wrong side of that line. Hell is real and easy to understand in the spirit and in the natural. Jesus spoke of it often so why would I stand on that side of the line? Many Christians have been lead to Christ only to fall for one lie or another. Fear and revere God and live!

Upvote 0

MJFlores

Mar 22, 2017
Philippines
✟19,304.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is physical death? The separation of the soul from the body. To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. Where is the Lord? Heaven. Where, then, are believers since the resurrection? With the Lord in heaven.
What then is Judgment day for?
If all the people who died went up to heaven and went to hell immediately?

Revelation 20:13 New International Version (NIV)

The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done.

Upvote 0

MJFlores

Mar 22, 2017
Philippines
✟19,304.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hell will be cast into the lake of fire. So then it already exists. There are hundreds of testimonies of Christians who died and went to heaven or hell or both. Jesus went into the lower regions of the earth when he died on the cross. In the lower regions of the earth Lava flows. Why is this so hard to accept? Abraham's bosom was a place kept apart from the fiery furnace of hell. Jesus said fear God who has the power to throw you into hell. Without the fear of God Christians go into error. They do not care for truth but rather for what they feel is true. Cast down every high thought and imagination that rises up against the knowledge of God and bring into captivity every though into Christ.
When we die in Christ our body lays in the ground until the rapture, but our soul is absent from the body and present with the Lord. With sinners it is the same but they are absent from the body and present in hell in the lower regions of the earth. We have a spirit from God and we have a soul created through the life of the spirit in our body since conception. The soul and the spirit are separate entities living in the body which is the temple. Our soul is made up of our mind our will and our emotions. We are at peace when the spirit and the soul are in union. We are in confusion when truth comes that is contrary to what believe. We are at peace once more when we ether reject the truth and remain in error or we accept the true and grow in it. Most Christians are in great error but have peace because they accept the errors as truth. Every denomination has different doctrine. Some are is gross heresy others are just in error in some areas. None can see their error or they would repent of it. But error in doctrine does not condemn us to hell. If it did no-one would be saved. Thank God for His grace. But there is heresy that leads to sin and this will condemn one to hell. There is a line where judgement leads to hell on one side and judgement leads to loss of rewards on the other side. Only God knows where that line stands, but I would rather be obedient to all I can see and search where I may be in error thane take the chance of standing on the wrong side of that line. Hell is real and easy to understand in the spirit and in the natural. Jesus spoke of it often so why would I stand on that side of the line? Many Christians have been lead to Christ only to fall for one lie or another. Fear and revere God and live!

Revelation 20:10-15 New International Version (NIV)

And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.

In the book of revelation the sequence is very clear and what is going to happen is also undeniable.
  1. The beast and the false prophets are the first to go to hell
  2. Then the devil joining them
  3. Then death and Hades
  4. Then people who are not written in the book of life
There is the first resurrection - the above is about the second resurrection.

Revelation 20:5-6 New International Version (NIV)

(The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.

Why would God resurrect those who are saved and then after a thousand years those who are damned if people who died and are dying are going to heaven and hell immediately after death?

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What is a parable? Is it something to be understood literally or is it simply a parable?
Furthermore,-the gospels say that Jesus spoke in parables, so any further discussion of hell should be conducted with the above facts as a basis.

Actually i read the account again of Lazarus and it dawned upon me that The Bible does not call it a parrable.. So i was wrong in my earlier post for calling it a parrable..

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hell is not the Eternal Lake of fire.. No one is in the Eternal Lake of fire yet.. The first two to be cast into the lake of fire will be the Beast and the false prophet. this happens in the book of Revelation.. And then later satan is thrown into the lake of fire along with all the unsaved at the final judgement..

Hell is a temporary prison for people who are heading for the Eternal Lake of fire..

(Revelation 20:13-15) "And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. {14} And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. {15} And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."

Hell is going to be cast into the Lake Of Fire.. Therefore Hell cannot be the eternal Lake of fire..

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: TKICBS
Upvote 0

MJFlores

Mar 22, 2017
Philippines
✟19,304.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually i read the account again of Lazarus and it dawned upon me that The Bible does not call it a parrable.. So i was wrong in my earlier post for calling it a parrable..

Let us check the whole Book of John 11 to be sure.

John 11 New International Version (NIV)

Now a man named Lazarus was sick. He was from Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha. (This Mary, whose brother Lazarus now lay sick, was the same one who poured perfume on the Lord and wiped his feet with her hair.) So the sisters sent word to Jesus, “Lord, the one you love is sick.”
lazarus sick.jpg

When he heard this, Jesus said, “This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God’s glory so that God’s Son may be glorified through it.” Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. So when he heard that Lazarus was sick, he stayed where he was two more days, and then he said to his disciples, “Let us go back to Judea.”

“But Rabbi,” they said, “a short while ago the Jews there tried to stone you, and yet you are going back?”

Jesus answered, “Are there not twelve hours of daylight? Anyone who walks in the daytime will not stumble, for they see by this world’s light. It is when a person walks at night that they stumble, for they have no light.”

After he had said this, he went on to tell them, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up.

His disciples replied, “Lord, if he sleeps, he will get better.” Jesus had been speaking of his death, but his disciples thought he meant natural sleep.

So then he told them plainly, “Lazarus is dead, and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe. But let us go to him.”

Then Thomas (also known as Didymus) said to the rest of the disciples, “Let us also go, that we may die with him.”

On his arrival, Jesus found that Lazarus had already been in the tomb for four days. Now Bethany was less than two miles from Jerusalem, and many Jews had come to Martha and Mary to comfort them in the loss of their brother. When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went out to meet him, but Mary stayed at home.

“Lord,” Martha said to Jesus, “if you had been here, my brother would not have died. But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask.”

Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.”

Martha answered, “I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”

“Yes, Lord,” she replied, “I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

After she had said this, she went back and called her sister Mary aside. “The Teacher is here,” she said, “and is asking for you.” When Mary heard this, she got up quickly and went to him. Now Jesus had not yet entered the village, but was still at the place where Martha had met him. When the Jews who had been with Mary in the house, comforting her, noticed how quickly she got up and went out, they followed her, supposing she was going to the tomb to mourn there.

When Mary reached the place where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet and said, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.”

When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. “Where have you laid him?” he asked.

“Come and see, Lord,” they replied.

Jesus wept.

Then the Jews said, “See how he loved him!”

But some of them said, “Could not he who opened the eyes of the blind man have kept this man from dying?”

Jesus, once more deeply moved, came to the tomb. It was a cave with a stone laid across the entrance. “Take away the stone,” he said.

“But, Lord,” said Martha, the sister of the dead man, “by this time there is a bad odor, for he has been there four days.

Then Jesus said, “Did I not tell you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?”

So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me.”
lazarus risen2.jpg

When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out!” The dead man came out, his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen, and a cloth around his face.
lazarus risen1.jpg

Jesus said to them, “Take off the grave clothes and let him go.”

Therefore many of the Jews who had come to visit Mary, and had seen what Jesus did, believed in him. But some of them went to the Pharisees and told them what Jesus had done. Then the chief priests and the Pharisees called a meeting of the Sanhedrin.
jews.jpg

“What are we accomplishing?” they asked. “Here is this man performing many signs. If we let him go on like this, everyone will believe in him, and then the Romans will come and take away both our temple and our nation.”

Then one of them, named Caiaphas, who was high priest that year, spoke up, “You know nothing at all! You do not realize that it is better for you that one man die for the people than that the whole nation perish.”

He did not say this on his own, but as high priest that year he prophesied that Jesus would die for the Jewish nation, and not only for that nation but also for the scattered children of God, to bring them together and make them one. So from that day on they plotted to take his life.

Therefore Jesus no longer moved about publicly among the people of Judea. Instead he withdrew to a region near the wilderness, to a village called Ephraim, where he stayed with his disciples.

When it was almost time for the Jewish Passover, many went up from the country to Jerusalem for their ceremonial cleansing before the Passover. They kept looking for Jesus, and as they stood in the temple courts they asked one another, “What do you think? Isn’t he coming to the festival at all?” But the chief priests and the Pharisees had given orders that anyone who found out where Jesus was should report it so that they might arrest him.
jews1.jpg

What can we learn from this Chapter?
  1. Lazarus did not go to heaven when he died, not even in hell
  2. Lazarus had been dead for 4 days
  3. Lazarus was already rotting
  4. The Lord Jesus Christ resurrected Lazarus from the dead
  5. If Lazarus was having fun in heaven on Day 1, the Lord Jesus won't resurrect Lazarus, wouldn't he?
  6. Lazarus was dead and The Lord Jesus said he was asleep
  7. When we die, we will be asleep, then rot and on Judgement Day rise again.
CONCLUSION: When people die we won't have an after-life immediately. We are to decay, smell like a dead rat then return to the dust and on Judgement Day to awake then judged according to what we have done.

Attachments

• lazarus risen.jpg
    lazarus risen.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 9
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I think that many folks' view of hell is more influenced by Dante's Inferno than what is actually written in the Bible. Jesus' main description was that it was a place of outer darkness where people will wail and gnash their teeth. We have no idea where that is, but what we do know is that it is not within the bounds of our physical universe. We know from parts of the Bible (The Transfiguration, for instance) that there is another place outside our physical universe, because when Moses and Elijah appeared with Jesus, they had to come from somewhere. And when Jesus ascended into the cloud (not iCloud, by the way! I couldn't help that. ^_^) He would have to have gone somewhere. Also, He is seated at the right hand of God, so there must be a place where the throne of God is situated. Jacob saw a ladder leading somewhere with angels ascending and descending. Where they were coming from or going to, we don't really know.

What we do know about hell, and I think we are talking about where unbelievers finally end up after the Judgment, which incidentally might take thousands of years, is that it is a definite place where there is total separation from God, and where unbelievers live out eternity with serious regrets that they did not accept Christ when they had the chance.

The lesson for all of us is, accept the gift of salvation through Jesus Christ while you have the chance in this Day of Grace, because when it is all over, What then?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

emtor

Mar 19, 2017
norway
✟16,971.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
The greatest promise in the bible is to be grantet the gift of eternal life. Only those who accept Christ is grantet this gift. But if hell is a place were humans experience regret, torment or anything else,-then it means that these individuals also receive eternal life. Wouldn't it be simpler to just discard with them once and for all? -In other words total and eternal anihilation? The bible says that God doesn't take pleasure in anyone's death, but eternal and everlasting torment beyond measure is OK? -I have yet to hear any pastor / teacher / theologian explain why God would prefer torment instead of simply anihilate the damned.
Jesus tells us to not fear those who can destroy our flesh, but to fear He who has the power to destroy both our flesh and soul. What is the original meaning of the word "destroy"? -Does it mean anihilation / going out of existence?
If so, can a soul that is destroyed / anihilated / gone out of existence regret or sense / feel anything?
Is there something about our ideas regarding hell that doesn't quite add up?

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What then is Judgment day for?
If all the people who died went up to heaven and went to hell immediately?

Revelation 20:13 New International Version (NIV)

The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done.
Hades is a holding tank prior to trial; hell, the lake of fire, is the final prison. They will have their day before the Judge of all the earth before they are sentenced. Does that analogy make sense to you?

Hades is not what people typically think of when they think of hell. It is unfortunate that it is sometimes translated as hell in English bibles. Hades is the temporary abode of the dead. It was divided into two compartments, the abode of the unsaved, and the abode of the saved, which Jesus called "Abraham's bosom" (Luke 16:22). When Christ rose from the dead He delivered the souls from Abraham's bosom and brought them with Him to heaven (Ephesians 4:8-10). The unsaved dead are currently residing in Hades awaiting the day of final judgment, where they will be consigned to the lake of fire, which is what most people would consider "hell", the final, eternal, abode of the unsaved. Hades itself will be thrown into the lake of fire (Revelation 20:14).

Reactions: TKICBS
Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What's the difference between hell and hades in your understanding? Where is the word "hell" in the NT? And how many times do we see the word "hades" used in the NT?

See my last post.

And why would you think people in hades could literally talk to people not in hades? Does that still happen? How are they talking to one another without being in their resurrected bodies?

IDK

How is it that a finger dipped in water on someone's tongue could relieve a person in flames? These can't be literal descriptions.

It couldn't. It was meant to convey the idea that he was in such torment that even a drop of water on his tongue would be desirable.

This story is one of a sequence of parables. The parable of the lost sheep (rejoicing over a sinner who repents and ends up in the kingdom of God). The parable of the lost coin (rejoicing over a sinner who repents and ends up in the kingdom). The parable of the lost son (rejoicing over a sinner who repents). The parable of the shrewd manager (rebuking the "righteous" Pharisees for not sharing their wealth). The parable of the rich man and Lazarus (rebuking the "righteous" Pharisees for not sharing their wealth).

It had been a long time since I actually read the story... I am willing to say that the story may indeed be a parable, but that does not negate the truth that it teaches.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

surrender1

Jun 1, 2011
✟20,372.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
See my last post.

IDK

It couldn't. It was meant to convey the idea that he was in such torment that even a drop of water on his tongue would be desirable.

It had been a long time since I actually read the story... I am willing to say that the story may indeed be a parable, but that does not negate the truth that it teaches.
And what truth does it teach? A parable has a main meaning to it, right? What is it that Jesus wants the Pharisees to perceive from this story? If you are rich and don't give to the poor, you go to a place of torment in the afterlife and when you're poor you go to a place of relief? So as long as you're poor, you'll go to heaven? Because that's what the parable teaches if we choose to take it to its literal conclusion. Or was Jesus using commonly held ideas and images (that are not necessarily "truth" since we know Paul and others used secular ideas to make their points to a secular/pagan audience) to make a point?
If you look at the preceding parables, they are directed at the hypocritical leadership who turn away from the lost/poor, not using their blessings and wealth for the lost, the poor, and the gentile "sinners." To their shock and astonishment, what Jesus is telling them is that God's kingdom will be taken away from them and they will be left outside in the darkness where there is gnashing of teeth (anger and regret) and God will take in the foreigner, the gentile, the sinner, the lost. And that is exactly who God sent his message to after going to Israel for many, many years. God's message was taken to the outskirts, the gentile nations, and every single one of them by faith were welcomed into his Church, his Body, his Kingdom. For it is not by circumcision of works one is welcomed into the kingdom but by faith in God's message through His Messiah.
The parable has nothing to do with an afterlife and everything to do with a here and now life.

Upvote 0

MJFlores

Mar 22, 2017
Philippines
✟19,304.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hades is a holding tank prior to trial; hell, the lake of fire, is the final prison. They will have their day before the Judge of all the earth before they are sentenced. Does that analogy make sense to you?

Hades is not what people typically think of when they think of hell. It is unfortunate that it is sometimes translated as hell in English bibles. Hades is the temporary abode of the dead. It was divided into two compartments, the abode of the unsaved, and the abode of the saved, which Jesus called "Abraham's bosom" (Luke 16:22). When Christ rose from the dead He delivered the souls from Abraham's bosom and brought them with Him to heaven (Ephesians 4:8-10). The unsaved dead are currently residing in Hades awaiting the day of final judgment, where they will be consigned to the lake of fire, which is what most people would consider "hell", the final, eternal, abode of the unsaved. Hades itself will be thrown into the lake of fire (Revelation 20:14).

Is Hades a person?
Is Hades a supernatural being?
Or is Hades a place?

I don't want to give an opinion on the matter. I rather find the answers to the questions using the holy book. There might be somebody who might say - Hades is a cartoon character played by James Woods in Hercules.

hades.jpg

Why did Christ used "Hades" as a term? Well, during those times, Greek was a popular spoken language like English today and later it would be easier for the Gentiles to comprehend things. Now going back, what or who or where or when is Hades? One bible verse and a couple of versions of the bible - will prove Hades is a place.

Luke 16:23 New International Version (NIV)
In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side.

Luke 16:23 Amplified Bible (AMP)
In Hades (the realm of the dead), being in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away and Lazarus in his bosom (paradise).

Luke 16:23 Common English Bible (CEB)
While being tormented in the place of the dead, he looked up and saw Abraham at a distance with Lazarus at his side.

Luke 16:23 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
He was sent to the place of death and was in great pain. He saw Abraham far away with Lazarus in his arms.

How does Hades look like?

cemetery.jpg

The gates of Hades is also the power of death as described and used by the Lord Jesus - figuratively

Matthew 16:18 New International Version (NIV)

And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

Matthew 16:18 Amplified Bible (AMP)

And I say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades (death) will not overpower it [by preventing the resurrection of the Christ].

Matthew 16:18 Contemporary English Version (CEV)

So I will call you Peter, which means “a rock.” On this rock I will build my church, and death itself will not have any power over it.

Matthew 16:18 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)

So I tell you, you are Peter. And I will build my church on this rock. The power of death will not be able to defeat my church.

Matthew 16:18 Good News Translation (GNT)

And so I tell you, Peter: you are a rock, and on this rock foundation I will build my church, and not even death will ever be able to overcome it.

Matthew 16:18New American Bible (Revised Edition) (NABRE)

And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.

Matthew 16:18Tree of Life Version (TLV)

And I also tell you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My community; and the gates of Sheol will not overpower it.

CONCLUSION: Hades is a place, it is death. We are going to Hades - all people are.

battleship.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: BukiRob
Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,620.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Hades IS THE GRAVE.

• Agree
Reactions: MJFlores
Upvote 0

TKICBS

TKICBS
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2013
Canada
Visit site
✟50,395.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Revelation 20:10-15 New International Version (NIV)

And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.

In the book of revelation the sequence is very clear and what is going to happen is also undeniable.
  1. The beast and the false prophets are the first to go to hell
  2. Then the devil joining them
  3. Then death and Hades
  4. Then people who are not written in the book of life
There is the first resurrection - the above is about the second resurrection.

Revelation 20:5-6 New International Version (NIV)

(The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.

Why would God resurrect those who are saved and then after a thousand years those who are damned if people who died and are dying are going to heaven and hell immediately after death?

We have a soul and we have a spirit and we have a body. When Jesus raptures us the dead bodies will receive their spirit back and will be immortal. 1st Corr 15. It does not explain in scripture if the soul and spirit are united at death or separated, but it does tell us that the word of God is powerful enough to separate the soul from the spirit. However, we are told to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.
Hell is not judgement. It is the place where sinners go after death. It is only a holding place until judgement. At judgement hell and all in hell will be cast into the lake of fire. So hell is not in the same place as the lake of fire. I believe that hell is in the lower regions of the earth where the lava flows. I also believe the earth is hollow and that the lake of fire, not hell, is not yet created. It will be a result of the star at the center of the hollow earth crashing into the inner surface. This is a result of an asteroid hitting out here and moving the earth out of its place. Isaiah 13:9-13 and Rev 8. It is possible that the earth will once again expand when these happen as the earth will be spinning 1/3 faster. Rev 8:12.
To answer your question it is for the righteous, because at present we have no immortal body. We won't receive this until the resurrection.
For the sinners, a righteous God must bring them before Christ, the judge, and this does not take place until after the final millennium.

Upvote 0