✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Let's review. From post #2:

Christian mysticism refers to the development of mystical practices and theory within Christianity. It has often been connected to mystical theology, especially in the Roman Catholic and Orthodox Christianity(both the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox traditions).

The attributes and means by which Christian mysticism is studied and practiced are varied. They range from ecstatic visions of the soul's mystical union with God to simple prayerful contemplation of Holy Scripture (i.e., Lectio Divina).

In other words, this is what it is. It isn't what we decide it is.
That definition really does deserve to be boiled down to 'it is what it is.' It defines Mysticism as being...well, mystical. :scratch:

• Agree
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,242,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
That definition really does deserve to be boiled down to 'it is what it is.' It defines Mysticism as being...well, mystical. :scratch:
Yeah, I think what it is, is that "mystical" can be a loaded word for some folks. I recall years ago one of my Christian contacts unfriended me on Facebook because I associated myself with the word. It appears that, in many minds, the term "mystic" is synonymous with "satanist".

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I think what it is, is that "mystical" can be a loaded word for some folks. I recall years ago one of my Christian contacts unfriended me on Facebook because I associated myself with the word. It appears that, in many minds, the term "mystic" is synonymous with "satanist".
I know you're right about that. To make matters worse, the word is rather hard to define. We can say that it has something to do with losing one's self into the essence of the divine, but not all mystics do that, and who among us who is not a mystic knows just what that means or if it's just talk. :doh:

Upvote 0