United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Mormon Quotes:

Jesus perfected his life and became our Christ. Priceless blood of a god was shed, and he became our Savior; his perfected life was given, and he became our Redeemer; his atonement for us made possible our return to our Heavenly Father.
Chapter 1: ‘To Live with Him Someday’

Doctrine and Covenants 132
“Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto them.”

“…Through him God has abundantly confirmed that man is the supreme creation, made in the image and similitude of God and his Son, Jesus Christ; that man is the offspring of God; that for man, and man alone, was the earth created, organized, planted and made ready for human habitation; and that, having within him the seeds of godhood and thus being a god in embryo, man has unlimited potential for progress and attainment.

Spencer W. Kimball, Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 3

FHE: Divine Nature
by Shauna Gibby | Jul. 29, 2010

Conference Talk: For more information on this topic read "Remember Who You Are!," by Elaine S. Dalton, Ensign, May 2010, 120-23.

Thought: Remember who you are! You are elect. You are [children] of God.

Song: "I Am Like a Star," Children's Songbook, p. 163

Scripture: I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High. (Psalms 82:6)

Object Lesson: Materials Needed: One apple and a knife.

Procedure: Cut the apple in half widthwise, and show the inner part. Tell the class that every apple has a similar five-sided star inside that holds seeds. No matter what the condition of the apple is (withered, bruised, or ready for picking) the star and its seeds are still inside.

Explain that we are like the apple. Each of us has the potential (seed) of becoming like Heavenly Father. No matter what happens to us, we still have the seeds of a divine nature and the potential of godhood.

(Beth Lefgren and Jennifer Jackson, Power Tools for Teaching, [Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1988], p. 19.)
FHE: Divine Nature | LDS Living

When you deny what the Holy Spirit is telling you long enough, you can't even hear Him any more.

2Th 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
2Th 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
2Th 2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

God is very patient though, and is waiting for them. It does my heart good to hear from Ex-mormons --even after 40 years in it, God can still take them out if they respond to the Holy Spirit leading therm.
I like going on those Ex-Mormon sites and hear the stories of how they came out of it. I'm still praying my stepdaughter and her family will.

Upvote 0

Deus Vult!

Dec 18, 2019
Heavenly Jerusalem
✟120,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Mormon Quotes:

Jesus perfected his life and became our Christ. Priceless blood of a god was shed, and he became our Savior; his perfected life was given, and he became our Redeemer; his atonement for us made possible our return to our Heavenly Father.
Chapter 1: ‘To Live with Him Someday’

Doctrine and Covenants 132
“Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto them.”

“…Through him God has abundantly confirmed that man is the supreme creation, made in the image and similitude of God and his Son, Jesus Christ; that man is the offspring of God; that for man, and man alone, was the earth created, organized, planted and made ready for human habitation; and that, having within him the seeds of godhood and thus being a god in embryo, man has unlimited potential for progress and attainment.

Spencer W. Kimball, Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 3

FHE: Divine Nature
by Shauna Gibby | Jul. 29, 2010

Conference Talk: For more information on this topic read "Remember Who You Are!," by Elaine S. Dalton, Ensign, May 2010, 120-23.

Thought: Remember who you are! You are elect. You are [children] of God.

Song: "I Am Like a Star," Children's Songbook, p. 163

Scripture: I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High. (Psalms 82:6)

Object Lesson: Materials Needed: One apple and a knife.

Procedure: Cut the apple in half widthwise, and show the inner part. Tell the class that every apple has a similar five-sided star inside that holds seeds. No matter what the condition of the apple is (withered, bruised, or ready for picking) the star and its seeds are still inside.

Explain that we are like the apple. Each of us has the potential (seed) of becoming like Heavenly Father. No matter what happens to us, we still have the seeds of a divine nature and the potential of godhood.

(Beth Lefgren and Jennifer Jackson, Power Tools for Teaching, [Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1988], p. 19.)
FHE: Divine Nature | LDS Living

Appreciate those quotes.
That is some of the most satanic twisting of Scripture I have ever seen. This is exactly what the Devil tempted Eve with in the beginning. People fail to remember that even the devil himself knows the Scripture and uses it also for his own ends of temptation to wicked doctrines of demon and men.
It is following the Apostolic interpretation of the Scripture that we are protected from such venom.
Going from error to error. Leaving one heretical sect to join another.

"Always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth."

There is a way to be Baptized, there is a way to receive a valid Eucharist, there is a way to be married that actually counts as marriage and not fornication outside of the Church, there is a way to become a priest of the New Covenant, ministering that which our Lord commanded us to receive as He sat in the upper room during our Lords Last Supper.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Appreciate those quotes.
That is some of the most satanic twisting of Scripture I have ever seen. This is exactly what the Devil tempted Eve with in the beginning. People fail to remember that even the devil himself knows the Scripture and uses it also for his own ends of temptation to wicked doctrines of demon and men.
It is following the Apostolic interpretation of the Scripture that we are protected from such venom.
Going from error to error. Leaving one heretical sect to join another.

"Always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth."

There is a way to be Baptized, there is a way to receive a valid Eucharist, there is a way to be married that actually counts as marriage and not fornication outside of the Church, there is a way to become a priest of the New Covenant, ministering that which our Lord commanded us to receive as He sat in the upper room during our Lords Last Supper.
Does your church have the same "keys" that Christ gave Peter in Matthew 16:19?

Unless you say "yes", then nothing that is bound on earth is bound in heaven.

Reread Matthew 16:19. Nobody in heaven will recognize you.

Upvote 0

Deus Vult!

Dec 18, 2019
Heavenly Jerusalem
✟120,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

The keys were given only to St.Peter.
Not to anyone else. The power of binding and loosing sins was later given to the rest of the Apostles but the keys alone went to St.Peter and nobody else...
And the answer to your question is yes. Yes, the Catholic Church has the metaphoric keys because St.Peter himself received them, and his successor received them from him, then his successor received them, on and on, the successors to the Episcopal seat at Rome all received these keys... Only the humble can believe it...

The Lord said, "... and I also say that you are Petros (masculine form for "Rock") and on this petra (feminine generic for "Rock") I will build my Church..."
St.Peter is referred to in Aramaic as "Cephas" the Aramaic transliterated "Rock".
Petros and Petra can only mean "Rock", for the Greek word for "stone" is "Lithos" or plural "Lithoi".
To this very day St.Peters Basilica is built directly upon the ancient tomb of St.Peter himself. In fact the high altar within the Basilica is directly above St.Peters tomb.
You should read it again.

Upvote 0

Jamesone5

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟119,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Jamesone5

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟119,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Where oh where are those long lost keys?

Mormons or rather Joseph Smith tells us God finally gave them to only him. And they were supposedly removed from earth after the death of Peter for 18 Centuries before Joseph Smith finally got them. Think of all those millions and possibly billions of lost souls for those 18 centuries.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Human beings are "of one substance" called "man". Christ, however, is "in the form of God, and equal with God", which means that He is of the same substance as God. Then, as God is humility, He (the Word of God and one of the Holy Trinity) deemed it not to be a victimization of Himself to take upon His Divine Person-hood the form a one of His lowly creatures.

The point is: He, the Divine Logos, is in the form of God and equal to God because He is God. He's not "a god". He is The Only God, because there is Only One.

All power for our own participation in the Divine nature comes from God, in the form of what is called grace. It is through faith in Him that we can receive grace. But no creature is deified by his or her own striving, or obedience. God did not become God because of obedience to some learned moral principles and rules for living. God has not undergone change, growth, or development, because there was never any imperfection in God. The development of the incarnate Divine Word was that which occurred to his human nature, which naturally undergoes development. God is perfect, and living apart from time as a being without beginning or without end, God does not change (James 1:17).
In the simplest form, God did change. He added human qualities to his divine qualities. That is what I would call a major change. You may not recognize it, but I do.

Jesus also changed after he was resurrected. A major change from being mortal and having experienced pain, and death, to immortal and never tasting pain and death again.

His divine nature was affected too, when he took on flesh. For instance, he did not know the date of time that he would return a second time. It seems like one with divine qualities and one with God would certainly not forget that important date. But he did because he changed and the flesh blocked some of his divine qualities.

For instance a true and fully divine one, would not even think of experiencing death. It was only after his death and resurrected that he was fully immortal, and fully divine.

There are other reasons I can quote from scripture that proves my point. Many.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟242,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Not to anyone else. The power of binding and loosing sins was later given to the rest of the Apostles but the keys alone went to St.Peter and nobody else...
And the answer to your question is yes. Yes, the Catholic Church has the metaphoric keys because St.Peter himself received them, and his successor received them from him, then his successor received them, on and on, the successors to the Episcopal seat at Rome all received these keys... Only the humble can believe it...

The Lord said, "... and I also say that you are Petros (masculine form for "Rock") and on this petra (feminine generic for "Rock") I will build my Church..."
St.Peter is referred to in Aramaic as "Cephas" the Aramaic transliterated "Rock".
Petros and Petra can only mean "Rock", for the Greek word for "stone" is "Lithos" or plural "Lithoi".
To this very day St.Peters Basilica is built directly upon the ancient tomb of St.Peter himself. In fact the high altar within the Basilica is directly above St.Peters tomb.
You should read it again.
The power to bind and loose was given to all the Apostles, according to Holy Tradition and Scripture (John 20:22-23), starting with Peter, and through them to the Church by the agency of the bishops who were the successors of the Apostles. The keys are the authority to bind and loose sins. They merely metaphorically point to this authority. There is no other authority other than Christ Himself, Who is the only Head of His body, the Church. Neither Scripture, nor the consensus of the Church fathers indicates that bishops who succeeded Peter received any "keys", or that Peter alone had the keys, or that even if he did, that the keys were ever the property of anyone other than Peter, as first among the Apostles.
In the simplest form, God did change. He added human qualities to his divine qualities. That is what I would call a major change. You may not recognize it, but I do.

Jesus also changed after he was resurrected. A major change from being mortal and having experienced pain, and death, to immortal and never tasting pain and death again.

His divine nature was affected too, when he took on flesh. For instance, he did not know the date of time that he would return a second time. It seems like one with divine qualities and one with God would certainly not forget that important date. But he did because he changed and the flesh blocked some of his divine qualities.

For instance a true and fully divine one, would not even think of experiencing death. It was only after his death and resurrected that he was fully immortal, and fully divine.

There are other reasons I can quote from scripture that proves my point. Many.
The Divine nature of the Word of God does not undergo change, because it is, has always been, and always will be perfect beyond all of human comprehension. This we know from Scripture and from what both the Jews and Christians have always believed with regards to God. The Divine nature did not mix itself with the nature of a human being (creature). Only the Divine Person became flesh ("and the Word became Flesh"). The eternal Word of God, being that He is the very Cognitive aspect of God the Father, most certainly did know the exact moment in time that the end will arrive. But answering in the way that is proper for his humanity, he did not tell his disciples what it is not good for men to know. This is why when He was asked about these things before His Ascension, Jesus replied, "It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by His own authority" (Acts 1:7). In this case you'll notice that He did not say "I don't know", rather, He said "It is not for you to know", because He, being the very Logos (Reasoning facility) of the Father, most certainly knows exactly how and when He will bring these things about, in accordance with the will of the Father.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married

Mormons or rather Joseph Smith tells us God finally gave them to only him. And they were supposedly removed from earth after the death of Peter for 18 Centuries before Joseph Smith finally got them. Think of all those millions and possibly billions of lost souls for those 18 centuries.
You can talk about where oh where are those long lost keys, but unless you have them, nothing is recognized in heaven. IOW you are not recognized as a son of God. So mock JS as much as you wish, but find out which church has those keys and then have their clergy with proper authority, take care of you.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟242,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is much more proof that we can become Gods than there is to the contrary.
No Orthodox Christian would tell you that you are not meant for "theosis" (which is to become a full partaker of God's nature, by God's power). The ideas you are defending are not untrue. They only fail to be entirely true because of this false sense of Who and what God is that is being upheld by LDS theology. One cannot truly become God if one is mislead with regards to the knowledge of God (and no one is guiltless in the process of being mislead).

"God became man, so that man might become God". This is Orthodox Christian teaching on salvation. But Who is God? Or even more accurately, "Who is Jesus Christ", the God Who became man so that man might become God? This is an essential question, and knowing the only correct answer is just as essential. The original and ancient Church has the only correct answer, and she Loves Truth and will not surrender to falsehood. She never has and never will.

Reactions: He is the way
Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟242,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You can talk about where oh where are those long lost keys, but unless you have them, nothing is recognized in heaven. IOW you are not recognized as a son of God. So mock JS as much as you wish, but find out which church has those keys and then have their clergy with proper authority, take care of you.
Why should anyone be inclined to believe Joseph Smith? Who told you or anyone else that his claims about seeing God and receiving a restoration of the true Gospel teaching are true. Isn't it likely that his claims are just as phony as those of Muhammed the prophet in the seventh century AD, or all those other false teachers written about in the Letters of the Apostles who claimed to be in possession of "special knowledge" of truth so that they ought to be followed rather than the authoritative teachers in the Church?

Think about it. The only difference between all the false teachers is what they taught and when. What they share in common is that they are both deceived and deceivers. The only difference between you the members of the myriad of other false religions is the name of the person who started their churches, and at what point in history they were started. They all lay claim to having the unique ability to bring about the restoration of a lost truth.

The truth was never lost. It's always here in its fullness, because Christ built His Church. He built it on Rock, not sand, and it has weathered century upon century of various attacks against the truth which is contained in Her.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟242,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Church has the keys. The LDS is not the Church, because the LDS did not even begin to exist as a religious group until the 1820's. Christ founded His Church like 2000 years ago, He built it on a rock, not sand, so that it would not fall. Every single lying teacher of a newly established religion is starting his own church which is definitely not Christ's Church. They always start by reintroducing the same lie that Christ's Church has "fallen". Christ explicitly stated that His Church would never fall, because it is founded on "Him"; the Chief Cornerstone.

• Agree
Reactions: Deus Vult!
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jamesone5

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟119,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I had those so-called authorities take care of me for 40 years until God {the real God} helped me out.

Upvote 0

Jamesone5

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟119,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why should anyone be inclined to believe Joseph Smith? Who told you or anyone else that his claims about seeing God and receiving a restoration of the true Gospel teaching are true. Isn't it likely that his claims are just as phony as those of Muhammed the prophet in the seventh century AD, or all those other false teachers written about in the Letters of the Apostles who claimed to be in possession of "special knowledge" of truth so that they ought to be followed rather than the authoritative teachers in the Church?

Think about it. The only difference between all the false teachers is what they taught and when. What they share in common is that they are both deceived and deceivers. The only difference between you the members of the myriad of other false religions is the name of the person who started their churches, and at what point in history they were started. They all lay claim to having the unique ability to bring about the restoration of a lost truth.

The truth was never lost. It's always here in its fullness, because Christ built His Church. He built it on Rock, not sand, and it has weathered century upon century of various attacks against the truth which is contained in Her.

Add this to the mix.

There are over a hundred off-shoots of the Mormonism, each telling us Joseph Smith is their founder, with the SL City sect being the largest.
Even in Mormonism there are over a hundred sects potentially fighting for those keys.

• Informative
Reactions: truefiction1
Upvote 0

Deus Vult!

Dec 18, 2019
Heavenly Jerusalem
✟120,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Cults often do this. They know that their claims are so unsound that they do mental gymnastics to try and justify their position by any means necessary rather than abandoning their erroneous belief system. The fact that they - in their heart and mind - know that what they are teaching people is a lie is no small sin. This is the case with all false teachers and false prophets.
Teaching something out of ignorance is one thing.
Teaching something while having to lie to themselves and to others in order to sell it as believable is an altogether other matter.
I pray that the Lord of Justice and Mercy would rather show them mercy rather than His Justice. And pray this for myself also, in humility, and soft spoken.

Upvote 0

Jamesone5

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟119,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

How would I know which sect of Mormonism to belong to with the so-called proper authority?

There are over a hundred.

• Useful
Reactions: truefiction1
Upvote 0

Deus Vult!

Dec 18, 2019
Heavenly Jerusalem
✟120,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The power to bind and loose was given to all the Apostles, according to Holy Tradition and Scripture (John 20:22-23), starting with Peter, and through them to the Church by the agency of the bishops who were the successors of the Apostles. The keys are the authority to bind and loose sins. They merely metaphorically point to this authority. There is no other authority other than Christ Himself, Who is the only Head of His body, the Church. Neither Scripture, nor the consensus of the Church fathers indicates that bishops who succeeded Peter received any "keys", or that Peter alone had the keys, or that even if he did, that the keys were ever the property of anyone other than Peter, as first among the Apostles.

The Divine nature of the Word of God does not undergo change, because it is, has always been, and always will be perfect beyond all of human comprehension. This we know from Scripture and from what both the Jews and Christians have always believed with regards to God. The Divine nature did not mix itself with the nature of a human being (creature). Only the Divine Person became flesh ("and the Word became Flesh"). The eternal Word of God, being that He is the very Cognitive aspect of God the Father, most certainly did know the exact moment in time that the end will arrive. But answering in the way that is proper for his humanity, he did not tell his disciples what it is not good for men to know. This is why when He was asked about these things before His Ascension, Jesus replied, "It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by His own authority" (Acts 1:7). In this case you'll notice that He did not say "I don't know", rather, He said "It is not for you to know", because He, being the very Logos (Reasoning facility) of the Father, most certainly knows exactly how and when He will bring these things about, in accordance with the will of the Father.

"The power to bind and loose was given to all the Apostles, according to Holy Tradition and Scripture (John 20:22-23)" - I affirmed this already.

"The keys are the authority to bind and loose sins."-This is where you err. The keys are not this. To prove it, note that in the same Gospel according to Matthew (the only Gospel where the "keys" are mentioned Mt.(16:18-19)) two chapters later in (18:18) the power to bind and loose sins was granted to the rest of the Apostles however there is no mention of the "keys" given to the other Apostles.

"There is no other authority other than Christ Himself" - Of course Christ Himself is the ultimate Authority. No Catholics would dream of placing a man equal with God. This was a silly straw man argument. And to that sill point: you then are a hypocrite to deny authority to the Apostolic priesthood, because even you yourself acknowledge the authority of the Patriarchs belonging to the Eastern Orthodox Church.

"nor the consensus of the Church fathers indicates that bishops who succeeded Peter received any "keys", or that Peter alone had the keys"- You err again. Here are some references from the Early Church Fathers on this:
Clement of Alexandria
“[T]he blessed Peter, the chosen, the preeminent, the first among the disciples, for whom alone with himself the Savior paid the tribute [Matt. 17:27], quickly grasped and understood their meaning. And what does he say? ‘Behold, we have left all and have followed you’ [Matt. 19:27; Mark 10:28]” (Who Is the Rich Man That Is Saved? 21:3–5 [A.D. 200]).

Tertullian
“[T]he Lord said to Peter, ‘On this rock I will build my Church, I have given you the keys of the kingdom of heaven [and] whatever you shall have bound or loosed on earth will be bound or loosed in heaven’ [Matt. 16:18–19]. . . . Upon you, he says, I will build my Church; and I will give to you the keys, not to the Church” (Modesty 21:9–10 [A.D. 220]).

The Letter of Clement to James
“Be it known to you, my lord, that Simon [Peter], who, for the sake of the true faith, and the most sure foundation of his doctrine, was set apart to be the foundation of the Church, and for this end was by Jesus himself, with his truthful mouth, named Peter, the first fruits of our Lord, the first of the apostles; to whom first the Father revealed the Son; whom the Christ, with good reason, blessed” (Letter of Clement to James 2 [A.D. 221]).

Origen
f we were to attend carefully to the Gospels, we should also find, in relation to those things which seem to be common to Peter . . . a great difference and a preeminence in the things [Jesus] said to Peter, compared with the second class [of apostles]. For it is no small difference that Peter received the keys not of one heaven but of more, and in order that whatsoever things he binds on earth may be bound not in one heaven but in them all, as compared with the many who bind on earth and loose on earth, so that these things are bound and loosed not in [all] the heavens, as in the case of Peter, but in one only; for they do not reach so high a stage with power as Peter to bind and loose in all the heavens” (Commentary on Matthew 13:31 [A.D. 248]).

Cyprian of Carthage
“The Lord says to Peter: ‘I say to you,’ he says, ‘that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church.’ . . . On him [Peter] he builds the Church, and to him he gives the command to feed the sheep [John 21:17], and although he assigns a like power to all the apostles, yet he founded a single chair [cathedra], and he established by his own authority a source and an intrinsic reason for that unity. Indeed, the others were that also which Peter was [i.e., apostles], but a primacy is given to Peter, whereby it is made clear that there is but one Church and one chair. So too, all [the apostles] are shepherds, and the flock is shown to be one, fed by all the apostles in single-minded accord. If someone does not hold fast to this unity of Peter, can he imagine that he still holds the faith? If he [should] desert the chair of Peter upon whom the Church was built, can he still be confident that he is in the Church?” (The Unity of the Catholic Church 4; 1st edition [A.D. 251]).

Cyril of Jerusalem
“The Lord is loving toward men, swift to pardon but slow to punish. Let no man despair of his own salvation. Peter, the first and foremost of the apostles, denied the Lord three times before a little servant girl, but he repented and wept bitterly” (Catechetical Lectures 2:19 [A.D. 350]).

“[Simon Magus] so deceived the city of Rome that Claudius erected a statue of him. . . . While the error was extending itself, Peter and Paul arrived, a noble pair and the rulers of the Church, and they set the error aright. . . . [T]hey launched the weapon of their like-mindedness in prayer against the Magus, and struck him down to earth. It was marvelous enough, and yet no marvel at all, for Peter was there—he that carries about the keys of heaven [Matt. 16:19]” (ibid., 6:14).

“In the power of the same Holy Spirit, Peter, both the chief of the apostles and the keeper of the keys of the kingdom of heaven, in the name of Christ healed Aeneas the paralytic at Lydda, which is now called Diospolis [Acts 9:32–34]” (ibid., 17:27).

Ephraim the Syrian
“[Jesus said:] Simon, my follower, I have made you the foundation of the holy Church. I betimes called you Peter, because you will support all its buildings. You are the inspector of those who will build on Earth a Church for me. If they should wish to build what is false, you, the foundation, will condemn them. You are the head of the fountain from which my teaching flows; you are the chief of my disciples. Through you I will give drink to all peoples. Yours is that life-giving sweetness which I dispense. I have chosen you to be, as it were, the firstborn in my institution so that, as the heir, you may be executor of my treasures. I have given you the keys of my kingdom. Behold, I have given you authority over all my treasures” (Homilies 4:1 [A.D. 351]).

Pope Damasus I
“Likewise it is decreed . . . that it ought to be announced that . . . the holy Roman Church has been placed at the forefront not by the conciliar decisions of other churches, but has received the primacy by the evangelic voice of our Lord and Savior, who says: ‘You are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of hell will not prevail against it; and I will give to you the keys of the kingdom of heaven . . . ’ [Matt. 16:18–19]. The first see, therefore, is that of Peter the apostle, that of the Roman Church, which has neither stain nor blemish nor anything like it” (Decree of Damasus 3 [A.D. 382]).

Jerome
“‘But,’ you [Jovinian] will say, ‘it was on Peter that the Church was founded’ [Matt. 16:18]. Well . . . one among the twelve is chosen to be their head in order to remove any occasion for division” (Against Jovinian 1:26 [A.D. 393]).

Pope Innocent I
“In seeking the things of God . . . you have acknowledged that judgment is to be referred to us [the pope], and have shown that you know that is owed to the Apostolic See [Rome], if all of us placed in this position are to desire to follow the apostle himself [Peter] from whom the episcopate itself and the total authority of this name have emerged” (Letters 29:1 [A.D. 408]).

Council of Ephesus
“Philip, presbyter and legate of [Pope Celestine I] said: ‘We offer our thanks to the holy and venerable synod, that when the writings of our holy and blessed pope had been read to you . . . you joined yourselves to the holy head also by your holy acclamations. For your blessedness is not ignorant that the head of the whole faith, the head of the apostles, is blessed Peter the apostle’” (Acts of the Council, session 2 [A.D. 431]).

“Philip, the presbyter and legate of the Apostolic See [Rome] said: ‘There is no doubt, and in fact it has been known in all ages, that the holy and most blessed Peter, prince and head of the apostles, pillar of the faith, and foundation of the Catholic Church, received the keys of the kingdom from our Lord Jesus Christ, the Savior and Redeemer of the human race, and that to him was given the power of loosing and binding sins: who down even to today and forever both lives and judges in his successors’” (ibid., session 3).

Now, moving on to my final point:
Maybe you just skimmed over my response to the mormon but here I will quote myself again so you can read it and see that I affirmed everything you said here. The only thing you disagree with is the symbol of authority that was given to St.Peter uniquely because the successors to the Apostles in the Eastern Orthodox Churches later went in schism with Rome... But here was my initial post that you responded to:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.