What evidence do you have that God exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Something like an amputee's lost limb spontaneously regrowing.
How about a man who falls 47 stories and not only lives, he wakes up and talks on Christmans day?
Or a boy who survives after being decapitated?
Or a paraplegic who walks again after being bitten by a Brown Recluse?
Or a woman whose cancer is cured at a prayer meeting?
or a woman who is suddenly cured of sever arthritis after prayer?
Or a 70 year old woman who's malignant brain tumor dissolved after prayer?
Or a multiple sclerosis victim who stands up and walks, completely cured after prayer?
Or a 60 year old non-believer who was cured of terminal heart disease?

source
source

Miracles still happen. They are just more rare because God remains in secret. You must discover Him by faith.

Upvote 0
M

Munising

How about a man who falls 47 stories and not only lives, he wakes up and talks on Christmans day?
Or a multiple sclerosis victim who stands up and walks, completely cured after prayer?

source
source

Miracles still happen. They are just more rare because God remains in secret. You must discover Him by faith.
Those all appear to be medical miracles for which science and medicine haven't yet advanced far enough to adequately explain. Or they are the 1 in 1,000 in which the patient survived. Just because you get 1 in a thousand odds of beating an illness and you do doesn't mean there is a god. It means you were that 1 out of the thousand. In a nutshell, this does absolutely nothing to show that a god exists.

Upvote 0

AllanV

Feb 4, 2013
NZ
✟16,413.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It becomes a problem when a person looks upon the miracle of life and says there is no creator.
There must be some life force or forward push some active will to maintain all biology. Entropy shows everything with a decay but what is it that gives a forward push for any thing to exist at all.
Man designs and creates within the rule of entropy and cannot grasp any thing beyond it. Everyone is trapped in a system that is imploding and devolving toward destruction.
Everything one man touches becomes a problem that every one else has to share.

But whether one believes in God or not His blessings shine on both.

Upvote 0

Passionate Chicken

A hen on a mission to make sense of egg salad
Jan 29, 2013
The hen house guarding against weird foxes
✟15,429.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's been my experience that when atheists ask for "evidence", they've already got their canned answers ready and are only asking so they can show how brilliant they are by mocking it.

I agree. Atheism is easy. Believe nothing.

:thumbsup: And call it rational intellect.

Upvote 0

Stormwave

Feb 10, 2013
✟7,627.00
Faith
Atheist

source
source

I think there is a difference between Miracles and low probability. All of those things could well have been by chance. Can you list any miracles that aren't ambiguous?

Upvote 0
M

Munising

It becomes a problem when a person looks upon the miracle of life and says there is no creator.
Why?

There must be some life force or forward push some active will to maintain all biology. Entropy shows everything with a decay but what is it that gives a forward push for any thing to exist at all.
While this is true, it doesn't help provide any evidence that an all-knowing, all-powerful being exists.

Man designs and creates within the rule of entropy and cannot grasp any thing beyond it. Everyone is trapped in a system that is imploding and devolving toward destruction.
Everything one man touches becomes a problem that every one else has to share.
I just touched my computer. How does that create a problem which is shared with a poor Chinese rice farmer?

But whether one believes in God or not His blessings shine on both.
Precisely what would the non-believer observe when God's blessings shine on him? What does a non-believer typically call the shining of these blessings?

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have yet to encounter a Christian who has sufficient evidence to believe that God exists.

If YHWH existed, what evidence would you expect that we are lacking?

I'm not in a position to know the answer to that question.

So how do you know that the Christians you've encountered don't have sufficient evidence if you don't know what would qualify as sufficient evidence? That seems a little strange to me.

Upvote 0

SkyBlade

Feb 2, 2013
The world God created!
✟9,829.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
As Christians we are told to believe by faith and not by sight. But I can give you some solid evidence.

1. The Bible has been around since forever. How come it wasn't destroyed or lost through all these years?

2. People have had visions of God, Heaven and Hell. A number of people. How could all of them be making it up or just had a crazy dream?

3. When people pray to God, miracles tend to happen afterwards. I can give you some real-life examples if you want.

Not trying to start an arguement, just trying to give you some proof. God bless you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stormwave

Feb 10, 2013
✟7,627.00
Faith
Atheist
As Christians we are told to believe by faith and not by sight. But I can give you some solid evidence.

1. The Bible has been around since forever. How come it wasn't destroyed or lost through all these years?

2. People have had visions of God, Heaven and Hell. A number of people. How could all of them be making it up or just had a crazy dream?

3. When people pray to God, miracles tend to happen afterwards. I can give you some real-life examples if you want.

Not trying to start an arguement, just trying to give you some proof. God bless you.

1. The same way lots of scripture has survived, reproduction and people keeping it safe. That doesn't make it divine.

2. Very easily. I regularly dream of sword fighting, but it has no significance outside of my own subconscious imagination.

3. There are no unambiguous miracles, i.e. no miracles that happen that cannot also be explained by coincidence.

Upvote 0

SkyBlade

Feb 2, 2013
The world God created!
✟9,829.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
1. The same way lots of scripture has survived, reproduction and people keeping it safe. That doesn't make it divine.

2. Very easily. I regularly dream of sword fighting, but it has no significance outside of my own subconscious imagination.

3. There are no unambiguous miracles, i.e. no miracles that happen that cannot also be explained by coincidence.

You can have your own beliefs. Cool username by the way.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I ask them what evidence they have. The evidence they provide isn't enough to make a reasonable person believe.

Which still begs the question, what evidence do you think would be sufficient to make a reasonable person believe?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AllanV

Feb 4, 2013
NZ
✟16,413.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why?

While this is true, it doesn't help provide any evidence that an all-knowing, all-powerful being exists.

I just touched my computer. How does that create a problem which is shared with a poor Chinese rice farmer?

Precisely what would the non-believer observe when God's blessings shine on him? What does a non-believer typically call the shining of these blessings?

My understanding says that it is the Love that came from the members of the early church. It stood apart. This caused others to believe.
The modern Church not so much. But even the good that is done will keep at bay the worst acts by exposing them for what they are.

Ultimately there is a way of being transformed in the mind so the heart area of the chest holds an exquisite effect that can be transmitted. Especially to those who have been compromised in their lives and then with faith the belief occurs.
All the hardness in an approach to life must be dealt with. It is essentially in the mind and every one builds a kind of selfish personality. This can be given up entirely.

The animal kingdom is predatory and man seems to have developed this into an ability in the mind as seen when each works on another persons emotions through speech. Everyone likes to be spoken to with respect but this does not always happen and what feelings occur when there is an argument? The effects can stay around for days. Some peoples whole lives become compromised even as an adult. Some people seem to be empowered to damage others.

If all minds and actions had no restraint there would be chaos, rioting, wars economic collapse, sexual immorality, degrading of the eco-system etc.

Man has the freedom to choose between eternal life or natural death. Everyone knows they are going to die but the message is that immortality is entirely possible. But it will take another mind and general disposition that will only be evident in a few.

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have yet to encounter a Christian who has sufficient evidence to believe that God exists. So I am curious what evidence the Christians in here have to justify their belief that the Christian God exists.

As a former staunch professed Atheist of 10 adult years and now a Christian...ive yet to encounter an Atheist/Agnostic who can provide ANY evidence that everything could come from the singular source of materials by natural, accidental causes. Atheism is by far the least plausible explanation for a WorldView ; in fact, I find it a topic that all but a few professed Atheists are willing to engage in because they cant justify their position thru the affirmative default position of anti-supernaturalism (which is : non-intelligent materialism and naturalism) .

If i were to give you an example from cosmology , biology, or the animal kingdom...would you care to give a cogent atheistic explanation for it ? If so, pick which area you would like me to formulate my question to you on . Thanks.

Upvote 0

Stormwave

Feb 10, 2013
✟7,627.00
Faith
Atheist
As a former staunch professed Atheist of 10 adult years and now a Christian...ive yet to encounter an Atheist/Agnostic who can provide ANY evidence that everything could come from the singular source of materials by natural, accidental causes. Atheism is by far the least plausible explanation for a WorldView ; in fact, I find it a topic that all but a few professed Atheists are willing to engage in because they cant justify their position thru the affirmative default position of anti-supernaturalism (which is : non-intelligent materialism and naturalism) .

If i were to give you an example from cosmology , biology, or the animal kingdom...would you care to give a cogent atheistic explanation for it ? If so, pick which area you would like me to formulate my question to you on . Thanks.

Just because we don't understand it, and probably never will, does not mean that it must be supernatural. It can simply be a case that we don't understand it. Atheism will never have all the answers and never pretends to. Religion does claim to have all the answers. That is the difference, Christians have a supernatural answer, Atheists have no answer. There doesn't need to be an answer, therefore there doesn't need to be a supernatural explanation.

Upvote 0

Joshua260

Oct 30, 2012
North Carolina
✟9,504.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeDave As a former staunch professed Atheist of 10 adult years and now a Christian...ive yet to encounter an Atheist/Agnostic who can provide ANY evidence that everything could come from the singular source of materials by natural, accidental causes.

Just because we don't understand it, and probably never will, does not mean that it must be supernatural.

I believe TheyCallMeDave was asking for "ANY evidence that everything could come from the singular source of materials by natural, accidental causes." Specifically, "an example from cosmology , biology, or the animal kingdom".

Upvote 0

Stormwave

Feb 10, 2013
✟7,627.00
Faith
Atheist
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeDave As a former staunch professed Atheist of 10 adult years and now a Christian...ive yet to encounter an Atheist/Agnostic who can provide ANY evidence that everything could come from the singular source of materials by natural, accidental causes.

I believe TheyCallMeDave was asking for "ANY evidence that everything could come from the singular source of materials by natural, accidental causes." Specifically, "an example from cosmology , biology, or the animal kingdom".

I believe the point I was trying to make was that just because it can't be explained, or proven via "evidence", does not mean there must be a supernatural explanation.

There is no evidence that it could have happened via natural causes, because we have yet to understand how it works, and therefore cannot replicate it. That does not mean it isn't the most rational, plausible, explanation. Claiming supernaturalism due to lack of evidence is looking at the problem from the wrong direction. We should be claiming naturalism unless there is sufficient evidence, as we know naturalism is real. There is lots of evidence that naturalism exists, but none that supernaturalism exists.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.