What evidence do you have that God exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I have yet to encounter a Christian who has sufficient evidence to believe that God exists. So I am curious what evidence the Christians in here have to justify their belief that the Christian God exists.
If YHWH existed, what evidence would you expect that we are lacking?

Upvote 0

golgotha61

World Christian in Progress
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2011
Ohio
✟79,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If YHWH existed, what evidence would you expect that we are lacking?

Ebia,

I am glad I found you on-line. I would like to apologize for my rudeness in our last post over the week end. I normally would do this in a PM but I was publicly rude and so I publicly apologize.

In Christ,
golgotha61

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Ebia,

I am glad I found you on-line. I would like to apologize for my rudeness in our last post over the week end. I normally would do this in a PM but I was publicly rude and so I publicly apologize.

In Christ,
golgotha61

Okay.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I have given up trying to answer this question, because anything I regard as evidence atheists will try to interpret in terms of their naturalistic presuppositions. If all else fails, they will come out with something like, "that doesn't mean goddidit," by which they mean they don't want to believe that God did it.

Since all evidence involves an assessment of probabilities, and that is a subjective process, we get nowhere fast.

Upvote 0
E

Eric Hibbert

I have given up trying to answer this question, because anything I regard as evidence they will try to interpret in terms of their naturalistic presuppositions. If all else fails, they will come out with something like, "that doesn't mean goddidit," by which they mean they don't want to believe that God did it.

Since all evidence is an assessment of probabilities, and that is a subjective process, we get nowhere fast.

It's been my experience that when atheists ask for "evidence", they've already got their canned answers ready and are only asking so they can show how brilliant they are by mocking it.

Upvote 0

golgotha61

World Christian in Progress
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2011
Ohio
✟79,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have yet to encounter a Christian who has sufficient evidence to believe that God exists. So I am curious what evidence the Christians in here have to justify their belief that the Christian God exists.

There are several arguments for the existence of God but I think what I am about to give you should give you pause to take a look at some of the evidence that will no doubt be given to you in this post.

Since 567/568 B.C. until 1948 A.D. Israel was not a sovereign nation and was scattered throughout the world. Hated reviled attempted to be obliterated from existence but still remains identifiable as a separate people by their religion and nationality. No other people group in the history of mankind can claim such a distinction. This existence of Israel today is exhibit A in the lineup of convincing evidences that the Bible’s prophecies concerning the future ahead of us will be fulfilled. This, perhaps, is the most important blessing we can receive from the astounding history of the Jews. It reveals the reality of God-His overwhelming power, the authenticity of His promises, the certainty of His existence, the urgency of His call to us, and His claim on our very being.

Some of this statement belongs to me and some of it comes from a sermon by Dr. David Jeremiah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
M

Munising

There are several arguments for the existence of God but I think what I am about to give you should give you pause to take a look at some of the evidence that will no doubt be given to you in this post.

Since 567/568 B.C. until 1948 A.D. Israel was not a sovereign nation and was scattered throughout the world. Hated reviled attempted to be obliterated from existence but still remains identifiable as a separate people by their religion and nationality. No other people group in the history of mankind can claim such a distinction. This existence of Israel today is exhibit A in the lineup of convincing evidences that the Bible’s prophecies concerning the future ahead of us will be fulfilled. This, perhaps, is the most important blessing we can receive from the astounding history of the Jews. It reveals the reality of God-His overwhelming power, the authenticity of His promises, the certainty of His existence, the urgency of His call to us, and His claim on our very being.

Some of this statement belongs to me and some of it comes from a sermon by Dr. David Jeremiah.
What evidence is there that a fulfilled prophecy indicates that a god exists?

What evidence is there that the creation of the nation of Israel was predicted in a prophecy?

Upvote 0
M

Munising

I have given up trying to answer this question, because anything I regard as evidence atheists will try to interpret in terms of their naturalistic presuppositions. If all else fails, they will come out with something like, "that doesn't mean goddidit," by which they mean they don't want to believe that God did it.

Since all evidence involves an assessment of probabilities, and that is a subjective process, we get nowhere fast.
Should I take this to mean you don't have evidence that the Christian God exists?

Upvote 0

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married

If you disregard:

-The Bible and all other historical sources citing God, Jesus or the Bible's accuracy
-The argument that something cannot come from nothing
-The argument of fine-tuning
-Personal testimony
-All arguments, valid or otherwise, that suggest God may exist
-etc

Then no, there is no evidence that God exist.

The problem with atheists asking this question is that no evidence is good enough for them.

If you want rigorous, objective, scientific, repeatable, physical evidence of God's existence, then you won't find any. Conclusions can be based off other forms of evidence.

Upvote 0
M

Munising

If you disregard:

-The Bible and all other historical sources citing God, Jesus or the Bible's accuracy
Why is what is written in the Bible evidence that a God exists?

-The argument that something cannot come from nothing
I don't see this as evidence. If something cannot come from nothing, then you are defining God as a 'something'. And since something can't come from nothing, then you are on the hook for where God came from, as by definition, he can't come from nothing.

-The argument of fine-tuning
Why is fine-tuning evidence of the existence of a god?

-Personal testimony
What personal testimony provides evidence of the existence of a god?

-All arguments, valid or otherwise, that suggest God may exist
-etc

Then no, there is no evidence that God exist.

The problem with atheists asking this question is that no evidence is good enough for them.
Wrong. See my thread on "is this a reasonable request of God".

If you want rigorous, objective, scientific, repeatable, physical evidence of God's existence, then you won't find any. Conclusions can be based off other forms of evidence.
If God has revealed himself to people, then why wouldn't that count as physical evidence?

What about the miracles performed in the Bible. don't those count as physical evidence?

Upvote 0

John 1720

Harvest Worker
Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2013
Massachusetts
✟149,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi Munising
I don't have to justify my belief to anyone. God has already justified my belief in the many ways he has already blessed me and made me aware of His all surpassing love in Christ. No one has to verify the Spirit of God is living inside of me for I know His presence is with me by His love. Eternity has already encompassed my heart and I've tasted the Lord and know His Goodness to this day.
God also doesn't have to prove His existence to any of His creation either. All of creation is derivative of God's beauty, compassion, and love. It is man that has messed up creation and usurped what God has freely given. However creation, in and of itself, invokes what is necessary in order to contemplate the wonder of God, His all surpassing intelligence and wisdom by which He formed the universe and gave you life. There are books filled with testmonies of what God has made evident, so more evidence of God than one could count. But God doesn't need man to prove Him His reality - in fact that is insulting. The philospher Nietzche said "God is dead" but of a truth "Nietzche is dead and God is very much alive". God desires us to find Him in the time He has given us and He has given us the means by His Christ and His Gospel. He is to be found by those who diligently seek Him from a longing heart. He resists the proud but provide grace to the humble. He scorns the scorners and brings low the haughty and arrogant. If you truly desire to know God you need only show Him a true repentance and call on Him. God is rich in mercy, and forgiveness and grants repentance to many. As far as the east is from the west He removes sin. There is much evil in this world that has come as a result of man's falling from God but mercy, grace and forgiveness has come through His Son Jesus, the promised Christ, who is the Lord and Savior of all mankind. God does not coerce us to belief but He calls us to believe.
Jesus said:
John 8:24 "Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am [He], you will die in your sins."
John 3:18 "He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
John 3:36 "He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."
John 10:37-38 "If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me;
:38 "but if I do, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, that you may know and believe that the Father [is] in Me, and I in Him."

The facts that Jesus' life was prophesied many centuries before He became incarnate is also evidence of not only that God is true but that Christ is who He said He was. I could take you through each of those prophesies but I will defer doing so for now.

Perhaps if I understood your obstacles to belief I could help you but only if you are serious for I do not desire to cast the pearls of Christ openly unless this is from a since and worthy desire to know the Truth and be know by Him who is True.

Regards, John 1720

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MyLordMySavior

MyLordMySavior
Jun 25, 2012
✟8,821.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think I could ever give you the kind of evidence that you would like to hear because I believe no matter what I presented nothing would satisfy you. I couldn't open your heart to God, only God can open your heart and give you the understanding.

Other than the scientific evidence, I know personally of God's grace and love that He gives me. He answers my prayers and speaks to me through His word, I see lives changed through faith, through miraculous healing, and testimonies that I have heard that are incredible, it declares God's majesty and goodness. I know He loves and cares for me because I can feel that He is always by my side and always listening and comforting me in my troubles. Once again, this might not mean anything to you. I was blind and now I can see God's goodness and His love for me. This is a some evidence that I personally have and experienced.

Upvote 0

mandelduke

Oct 17, 2010
Choctaw Ms
✟8,881.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
When I was 13teen years old and died, my spirit was leaving my body, but Jesus was there smiling and pushed my spirit back into my body. When I was 29years old, God sent my best friend of 23 years to me from heaven to stop me from killing myself. God has given my dreams that always happen. Two months God prepared me for my youngest daughter’s death, even though she was healthy, she just suddenly died four days before her 19th birthday. And for two months after she died, God made me feel like I was his only child. Me the worst sinner I have ever known, God talked to me all the time. He got me through the worst time of my life. He heeled me from a terminal disease. Yahweh is not only my lord he is my best friend!

Upvote 0
M

Munising

I don't think I could ever give you the kind of evidence that you would like to hear because I believe no matter what I presented nothing would satisfy you. I couldn't open your heart to God, only God can open your heart and give you the understanding.
I was asking for evidence, not whether or not you think the evidence you provide would satisfy me.

Other than the scientific evidence, I know personally of God's grace and love that He gives me.
How is this evidence of God's existence?

He answers my prayers and speaks to me through His word, I see lives changed through faith, through miraculous healing, and testimonies that I have heard that are incredible, it declares God's majesty and goodness.
What evidence do you have that your prayers are being answered?

What evidence do you have that when you believe your prayers are being answered, that they are being answered by God?

I know He loves and cares for me because I can feel that He is always by my side and always listening and comforting me in my troubles.
What precisely do you feel by your side that provides you with evidence that God is always listening?

Once again, this might not mean anything to you. I was blind and now I can see God's goodness and His love for me. This is a some evidence that I personally have and experienced.
What evidence do you have that what you are calling God's goodness and love is really God?

Upvote 0

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When I was 13teen years old and died, my spirit was leaving my body, but Jesus was there smiling and pushed my spirit back into my body. When I was 29years old, God sent my best friend of 23 years to me from heaven to stop me from killing myself. God has given my dreams that always happen. Two months God prepared me for my youngest daughter’s death, even though she was healthy, she just suddenly died four days before her 19th birthday. And for two months after she died, God made me feel like I was his only child. Me the worst sinner I have ever known, God talked to me all the time. He got me through the worst time of my life. He heeled me from a terminal disease. Yahweh is not only my lord he is my best friend!
Awesome testimony!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.