Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To understand the end, you must have a grasp on what Paul is speaking about. The Whole chapter speaks to the dietary options, and "Holy days" of the "Law" or what the Jew's observed as holy days, and were allowed to eat under the OT law.

The chapter goes on and speaks of what new freedoms in food, and the lack of "Sabbaths or special observances" the new Covent provides. But if you doubt or your unsure about what you eat, or how to observe a day and think the old rule still applies then it does, and to eat the new food, or not to observe a particular day will be a sin.

This rule has applications beyond food, and certain days. If you read the rest of Romans you come to realize that there are great freedoms in Christ, but not everyone can come to the point of faith to enjoy them. So for them they are as if they never existed, because of there lack of faith, and for That reason it is a sin for them. (not because eating pork is unclean or because they are not observing the Sabbath) It also says because of you being stronger in the faith, You should not eat meat or drink wine, (In there presents) or do anything to Judge or cause the one that is weaker to stumble in their faith, or what they believe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bobinator

Jul 30, 2007
✟11,899.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
First, you need to understand the definition of "sin." Sin is an English word and is terminology associated with archery. It is a word that references the distance between the landing of an arrow to the bullseye. In Christian terms, it basically means "to miss the mark". So, anything that is said or done that is not in the general or perfect will of God is sin. Sin is not merely something evil, but something that is not approved by the Holy Spirit at any given time. It could be that the Holy Spirit telling you to read the Word, but you instead go out and wash your car.

Regarding faith, Romans 10:17 says, "So thenfaith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

You can't exercise faith unless you can hear from God. This may come in several different ways- hearing that still small voice of the Holy Spirit, your conscience, intuition, and even knowing God's character and how He feels about something.

I mean, if you gotta go potty, you don't have to ask God for permission. There are practical applications of faith and knowing what you're allowed to do on your own free will without violating spiritual laws.

However, if you're not sure about whether something is sin or not, and you do it anyway, then that's sin because you didn't have faith.

I'll give you a personal example- My former job once required me to survey some government land that could only be viewed by standing on ancient temple grounds that was thick with a spiritual/demonic presence. I knew there would be consequences, unless the Lord granted me permission. It was only my second day on the job, and I didn't want to upset my employer. So, I stood there and asked the Lord. After about 30 seconds, I felt the Holy Spirit say "go". So I said a short prayer, stepped out in faith and walked across this ancient temple for a few minutes and stood upon the rocks that overlooked the land I was surveying. I literally felt the rocks vibrate under my feet and knew I was on enemy territory. However, I also felt the Holy Spirit's protection and have not had any sort of repercussion from that incident. No matter how powerful the enemy might be, If the Lord bade me, then nothing was going to stop me because I walked in faith.

Upvote 0

Expectation

Jul 12, 2008
South Africa
✟7,640.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This whole passage boils down to deciding what is right and what is not.
I'm guessing, but either you are busy with Bible study or you are having trouble to decide what is right and what is not.

The answer is easy. Do whatever you do in the Holy Spirit. Walk in the Spirit.

Yes, but now you will ask me what this means, right?

Let me explain it this way.

A man who gives his child a hiding out of anger and wrath does so very differently than a man who gives his child a hiding out of love.

And similary.

A man who eats his food out of faith in God, does so very differently than a man who eats his food out of disgust in God.

Upvote 0

Shalom1942

Jesus Is Lord!
May 3, 2008
✟7,680.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
The points before Rom 14:23 need to be noted. It's a weak believer and a strong believer. One believe...... another believe..... in (a) food (b) holy days/special days The weak believer is not to judge a strong believer and the strong believer is not to despise the weak. Whatever one eats or believe it is done to honor and glorify the Lord. Rom 14:10-13 for we shall stand before the judgment of Christ ..each of us shall give account of himself to God Therefore we must not stumble the conscience of the weak that will cause him to turn away from what is right before God. If the stumbling of his conscience cause him to unbelief and bring guilt he may do what is not right. This will cause him to do wrong. Therefore as in Rom 14:1 says (a) receive one who is weak in the faith, welcome him to the family of God (b) not to dispute over doubtful things (c) do not destroy with your food the one for whom Christ died (d)do not destroy the work of God in him that he might condemn himself to do what is not of faith and thus does wrong against God.(e)encourage him and build him up For 14:17 says"the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit."Jesus loves you.

Upvote 0

Polycarp_fan

Jun 10, 2008
✟6,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The part that says "everything that does not come from faith is sin"

I just cant grasp this at all.

Isn't this chapter about personal confidence and respect for others?

I believe that Paul is talking about being confident in why you do what you do. Read the entire chapter for the context of the matter.

"Faith," is better thought of as "trust" or "confidence."

The foods thing was a VERY big deal to the Jewish believers in Jesus and the movement that we now call "Christianity." I think Paul is just presenting common sense on the room there is for certain kinds of different opinions about what is an essential and what isn't.

"Food," wasn't that big a deal when all was seen in the light of salvation and a commited walk, but it could get fellow believers very heated. Paul seems to be encouraging believers that didn't have such a value on kosher foods to be respectful to those that did. Or, do.

If it is deeper than that, then let's go there too.

Upvote 0

MAC

Is of God's Grace
Apr 11, 2003
Stockton, Ca
Visit site
✟579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You should asked your selves what is faith!

"Faith is in general the persuasion of the mind that a certain statement is true."

1. 1. Belief; the assent of the mind to the truth of what is declared by another, resting on his authority and veracity, without other evidence; the judgment that what another states or testifies is the truth. I have strong faith or no faith in the testimony of a witness, or in what a historian narrates.

2. The assent of the mind to the truth of a proposition advanced by another; belief, or probable evidence of any kind.
I hope this will help you a little:)

Upvote 0