What does the church think about self deffense?

woodpecker

Mar 10, 2011
✟17,212.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, its a great film (not for the faint-hearted) but I am guessing not made by Christian film-makers (due to the graphic nature and excessive bad language). This could have been suggested without explicitly played out over and over again so graphically and offensively). The strength of the powerful message still comes through clearly though and it is a brilliant testimony to God's power to transform a person and use them to do great things.

I do not believe people should be protected from seeing the truth of the horrific violence that is taking place in this world against children, in the real world people swear, and people kill.

people, (especially Americans), need to see the truth in all its gory realism,...here in America we do not talk about the war anymore, our young men and women are coming back from Afghanistan and killing themselves. They are forgotten, no one wants to see the gore, and suffering this war has caused, they stick their heads in the sand, and just go about their lives.

Upvote 0
C

conamer

"When a strong man, fully armed, defends his house, his possessions are safe." Luke 11:21

"If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also." Matthew 5:39

So Jesus is contradicting himself? No.

If you strike the right cheek that means you're left-handed. Most people, (about 86%) are right-handed. To strike someone with your right hand would mean you use the back of you hand- a back handed strike is an insult. Even as late as the 17th century a back hand was a way to start a duel.

So this is more along the lines of "Do not return evil, with evil."

Btw, the bible does not state "God helps those who help themselves." That was Ben Franklin.

As Jesus quoted " Do not put the Lord your God to the test." Matthew 3:7

Doing nothing to defend you and yours and praying that God will protect you is testing Him. Not only is it sinful but, down right foolish!

Not defending yourself or family is a sin. As a man part of your role in God's plan is to be the protector!

Jesus defended his Father's house. (Mark11:15-17)

When Jesus prophesied his suffering and death Peter rebuke him because he couldn't rap his mind around what Jesus was here for(Matthew 16:22). Peter was acting in the flesh.

"Jesus turn to Peter and said,' Get behind me Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men." Verse 23

So another famous verse used against Christians is Matthew 26:52, but again this has to do with Jesus's followers acting in the flesh. The fact that they had swords and Jesus commanded them to buy them should be clear that Jesus wants use to defend our temple as Paul described our bodies in dwelt with the Holy Spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0