What does the church think about self deffense?

s_s

Jul 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
✟7,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know that Jesus said to "turn the other cheek", but I hate having both cheeks slapped off. Myself, whether sinful or not or whether you agree with me or not, I say stand up for yourself, don't be a doormat, cripple, maim, or even kill if you have to, but only if no other course available, most important of all, try not to put yourself in situation where you have to. Being a martyr or doormat ain't my idea of a good time.

This is in direct contradiction to scripture.
Being a martyr is the best possible way to begin to live.

If you let yourself be maimed to death by an attacker, then how are you going to spread the Gospel? You ain't talkin if your dead.

Many instances can be shown of people who have been witnessed by the deaths of Christians in front of them.
Take Saul, later Paul, as your #1 example of this.

And if you aren't going to die, you just take it? All the punching and kicking?
I don't care what any church says about it- I'm gonna defend myself PERIOD! It's the other guy that best start praying! :thumbsup:

Yes, that's just what you should do.

I suspect most of you have not been in this kind of situation, and perhaps that is good, as until you rid yourselves of this wrong thinking, you would be in danger of doing more harm than good.
A full trust in God will allow you to see the truth and keep your hands by your side while being hit in the face (or whatever).

Upvote 0

Cactus Jack

Jul 12, 2011
somewhere
✟17,259.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Something about getting beaten up and not being able to defend yourself to really bug you, know what I mean? That gets worse when the cops refuse to do anything because you couldn't (in their eyes, didn't) defend yourself and the perp walks. And that is expounded even great when you have to pay over $6,000 in medical and rehabilitative therapy because of the assault.

And all you hear the cops say is "All you can do is sue".

Next time they'll have a choice. Accept Jesus as their Savoir and meet him when the time comes or mess with me again and get my help in getting the the chance to meet Him face to face in a matter of seconds.

Their call.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

woodpecker

Mar 10, 2011
✟17,212.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
S_S

I have had my life threatened.

I had 3 young boys at the time, the Lord told me to fight back, to defend myself. How ridiculous to think my death would of glorified God, the man did not even know I was a believer. I was kidnapped etc. I do not feel like giving the details.

We should be willing to die for our faith, which is what the apostles did. If the kidnapper would of pointed the gun at me and asked me to deny my faith I would of died for my faith.

For a believer to do nothing to defend others or themselves is wrong, are you saying you would not help a child who is being beaten if you were to witness this?

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
I don't care what any church says about it- I'm gonna defend myself PERIOD! It's the other guy that best start praying!

His ways are higher than our ways. Our job is to find the mind of Christ in all things. That may mean not knowing exactly what you'll do until you find yourself in that situation. It is important that we do all things from faith, or we sin doing it, and who knows, you might become seriously hurt, die, or cause the same for others. We might have to stand before a grand jury and explain ourselves and our beliefs.

I personally believe that the Word allows for some measure of self defense against the attacks of the enemy through other individuals. Sometimes it is through the name of Jesus (against a devil who would kill you out right if he could). In other times, through your own natural protection, or by the powers that be, that are there for a reason.

Other times for love's sake, we are called to turn the other cheek. If you know you are being persecuted directly for Jesus' sake, it is a great honor and a reward is prepared (a great reward). If it is for your own foolishness that you may suffer from, you may do well to admit your guilt and defer based on your faith. If need be, to defend your own self.

Either way, we should understand that their are situations that God allows us to protect ourself or to seek the protection from the police. Having a prayerful understanding, may keep you from acting outside of faith. Just pray about each unique situation you encounter. Search the scriptures. Believe God will guide you like in any other situation.

Meditate on Psalms 91 and make your life's aim to abide here.

Upvote 0

apache1

Feb 11, 2012
✟16,526.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is in direct contradiction to scripture.
Being a martyr is the best possible way to begin to live.

Many instances can be shown of people who have been witnessed by the deaths of Christians in front of them.
Take Saul, later Paul, as your #1 example of this.

Yes, that's just what you should do.

I suspect most of you have not been in this kind of situation, and perhaps that is good, as until you rid yourselves of this wrong thinking, you would be in danger of doing more harm than good.
A full trust in God will allow you to see the truth and keep your hands by your side while being hit in the face (or whatever).
I am going to say it unapologetically again ... I ain't gonna be a doormat for anyone if I can help it, I have a live and let live attitude, nobody messes with me, I ain't gonna mess with him. I ain't gonna be a jellyfish minus the tentacles with the sting. I believe in gun control...gun control is how well you aim the gun and squeeze the trigger. My admittedly arrogant un-apologetic response. Case closed.

Upvote 0

apache1

Feb 11, 2012
✟16,526.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
S_S

I had 3 young boys at the time, the Lord told me to fight back, to defend myself. How ridiculous to think my death would of glorified God, the man did not even know I was a believer. I was kidnapped etc. I do not feel like giving the details.

We should be willing to die for our faith, which is what the apostles did. If the kidnapper would of pointed the gun at me and asked me to deny my faith I would of died for my faith.

For a believer to do nothing to defend others or themselves is wrong, are you saying you would not help a child who is being beaten if you were to witness this?
What you said makes a lot of sense. Dying for your faith is not the same as dying without defending yourself from some dirtbag trying to rape or kill or injure you or your family. No, don't be a doormat.

Upvote 0

captainkate

If not me, then who?
Nov 23, 2008
Sector 001
✟17,061.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What if you're not sure you're gonna die? I mean, would one seriously ponder this question while somebody beats the living tar out of them? :confused:

Not trying to be contrary here.. well maybe I am haha Jesus ordered his disciples to arm themselves. Was that for a fashion statement or did He mean for them to defend themselves.

When the Romans threatened to beat Paul, Paul insisted on his rights as a Roman citizen. And they were afraid to touch him. He did not stand there and take it

When the some 40 Jews threatened to kill him, he used soldiers, horsemen and spearmen for protection Acts 23:12-24

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AussieVan

Jul 28, 2012
Australia
Visit site
✟7,623.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have often considered this dilemna myself too. When I am out street witnessing sometimes I can sense hostility and often wonder what I should do If I were physically attacked. Should I fight back to defend myself or just cower for His name sake? It is something that I need to give more thought and I will read some of the above posts in more details (admitting i did a skim read :)

Upvote 0

HaigCraylett

L.O.V.E
Jul 4, 2012
Norfolk
✟15,269.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
I highly support self-defense when needed to the point that I left my former denomination over the issue.

I for one recognize the difference between turning the other cheek in matters that really don't need self-defense ( name-calling, someone starting a fistfight, etc) and defending my family ( if someone's going to try to kill my husband during a robbery).

I think knowing the difference between dying in the name of The Christ when faced with forced conversion and letting a playground bully beat you up every day for 5 years is needed for understand the concept of 'turn the other cheek'. Got to love those run-on sentences.

I agree with you!

Upvote 0

HaigCraylett

L.O.V.E
Jul 4, 2012
Norfolk
✟15,269.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
S_S

Right on!!! Amen!

Upvote 0

HaigCraylett

L.O.V.E
Jul 4, 2012
Norfolk
✟15,269.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
I don't care what any church says about it- I'm gonna defend myself PERIOD! It's the other guy that best start praying! :thumbsup:

And this people is what Pride sounds like.

If you are being beat up, of course you SHOULD protect yourself - by running or blocking punches and kicks (or guarding your vulnerable areas) hopefully and not fighting back.

I would always protect my wife and son - anyone come to think about it; however I wouldn't do it with violence. Violence is never the answer.

Protection but not violence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How do you guys feel about the idea of Christians using self defense?

And what do you know of how Christians physically defended them selves in in biblical times?

Any defensive arts ? Besides the defense brought to us by Jesus via the word and the bible which helps guard our souls and keep us in the ways of the lord.

What about physical defense?

I believe this question directly relates to us . As Christians are being persecuted by the vengeful Satan who is bothered knowing he will loose his battle and wants to dam as many souls to burn with him as he can.

He's evil , he's jealous and he wants to confuse and plant the seed of doubt in the christian people people. Causing us not to physically fight . Having us get mauled over and over.

Believing in things like i walk with god and he will always protect me are very true . But if you go into places where you are walking out of the boundaries of the lords protection ,PLACES WHERE YOU CANT HEAR HIM/HIS VOICE/HIS MESSAGE clearly then there is not much that can be done when he says" hey come back this place is no good for you"

Why? because you have walked out of the areas where the lord can offer you his guidance and protection and into the domain where Satan deeply rules and abides.

you hear it all the time "the devil is trying to muffle out the message of the lords so that people do not hear the lords calling "

The bible says god helps those who help them selves. And if your not making an effort to watch where you step then you are not really doing to much of a job helping your self.

being under the protection of the lord does not mean you can walk through any place you have no business being at . Hence clubs/bars/hanging with people who do drugs or promote activities which are not wholesome to the christian body and soul.

Parts of self defense are situational awareness . Meaning learning to read social cues and being aware of sourroundings and stuff like that. watching the news observing how the crimes occured and learing how not to make the same mistakes that led victims of certain crimesto the point of being a victim(hence lately people hear more and more on the news of how people are being assualted and somestimes killed over jewlry),checking on crime statistics , etc.

self defense is not completey physical strength and techniques. That is only a small part of it (and not completely validated the part of physical strength) and even though it is a small and extremely tough part of self defense. The larger portion of self defense is being aware of things and how not to place your self in situations where you will have to use it. should the moment come then you should use it with accordance to the laws of man dictated by what ever state you reside in . and the laws of god.

I believe there is a direct correlation between the lord and our right as Christians to defend our self's . not saying we should walk around looking for trouble NO! definitely not. We should walk around confident while going about or daily tasks though .

As Satan has his minions poeseesing the bodies of many human beings on earth,and those deamons are causing these people to do things that strike fear in the heart of anyone looking to jesus. Via music that does not severve the lords purpose ,television,CAUSING PEOPLE TO ACT AGRESSIVE TOWARDS US AND TO NOT ACT OR THINK WITH CONFIDENCE . MAKING US FEEL WE ARE SMALL IN NUMBERES AND INFERIOR HENCE "WIERD" THAT WE ARE GOODY GOODIES AND THAT WE SHOULD GET DOWN AND DIRTY.NEXT THING YOU KNOW YOUVE GIVEN IN A BIT AND GOTTEN SO DIRTY THAT YOU HAVE WALKED WAY OFF THE PATH OF THE LORD.

I do no promote violence i do promote the work of the lord . The lord wants us to act wisely ,humble and confident. If we are confronted by a difficult situation where self defense may need to be incorporated he wants us to know that he will be by our side but needs us to further listen to him so that we way make act in the heart of love, given to us my the lord all mighty ,and see things out with the eyes he has opened for us as christian.

See things out and realize that at that moment if we really need to practice our right to physical self defense , how much of it will do how much will sufise. AND HE WANTS US TO LISTEN TO HIM THROUGH OUT IT ALL SO THAT WE DO NOT GIVE INTO THE PANG OF EVIL AND LATE AN UN JUSTLY RAGE TAKE OVER OUR MINDS AND SOULS CAUSING US TO DO UNNECESSARY HARM, OR EVEN ENGAGE IN BATTLE SHOULD IT NOT BE NEEDED.

DON'T LET THAT FROGGY FELLING RULE YOU. FEELING FROGGY? jump? NO! FEEL THE LORD HE WILL TELL YOU WHEN ITS TIME TO JUMP.

Please feel free to contact me .

We are to take a stand against all manner of evil and expose it for what it truly is ; this can be philosophies of our culture, ideologies that set themselves up against Christ, God, his Church... or evil that comes against us in the physical realm . Gods command is that we do not MURDER -- it doesnt say we are not to defend ourselves and even kill another should our life be at stake. God ordained wars in the O.T. for the betterment of his Kingdom and for protection of his faithful. We SHOULD be , as much as it depends on us, to be meek / non combative / and understanding however and never provoke violence or hatred from another.

Jesus got pretty physical with the Temple Money Changers in the N.T. and these were UNbelievers obviously who were desecrating a Holy Place of worship ; how much more for our own BODIES which are for the H.S. to reside in .

I believe it is also alright for Christians to partake in Self defense Sports such as Karate or Judo for discipline , excersise, commaraderie, and for training...also for self defense if required. Where i believe the Lord would draw a line however, is with MMA in a cage where you pummel your opponent causing extreme pain and harm to his body to get 'a win' -- I dont see this being an option .

Lastly, I see nothing wrong with Christians carrying a concealed weapon for self defense and defense of nearby innocent people in close proximity ; it is however extremely important to recognize when to draw a gun on someone and when not to , but if a CHristian can prevent an innocent person from being murdered then that is always a good thing .

Any problems with these ???

Upvote 0

AussieVan

Jul 28, 2012
Australia
Visit site
✟7,623.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If it involved loved ones (or anyone else for that matter) being threatened or victimized, then I believe it is our duty to step in and that might involve self defense and even attack. God doesn't like cowards, in fact there are a few verses that group cowards with some of the worst of sinners.

Upvote 0

woodpecker

Mar 10, 2011
✟17,212.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
have any of you watched the movie, "Machine Gun Preacher", based on a true on going story of a preacher from the US who goes over to Sadan and saves many orphans, he never intended to use violence until they attacked his orphanage,...and he realized to protect his children he has to pick up a machine Gun....great movie!

Machine Gun Preacher - Official Movie Website

Upvote 0

AussieVan

Jul 28, 2012
Australia
Visit site
✟7,623.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, its a great film (not for the faint-hearted) but I am guessing not made by Christian film-makers (due to the graphic nature and excessive bad language). This could have been suggested without explicitly played out over and over again so graphically and offensively). The strength of the powerful message still comes through clearly though and it is a brilliant testimony to God's power to transform a person and use them to do great things.

Upvote 0