Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Mt. 5:28 was surely understood to encompass much more than another man's wife. They understood adultery to be a capital offence. So many wealthy older men not capable of even having sex, have for thousands of years been able to separate pretty wives from their husbands through unscrupulous means just to have her as his trophy wife. Jesus is saying that even this intent is now a capital offence.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Mt. 5:28 was surely understood to encompass much more than another man's wife. They understood adultery to be a capital offence. So many wealthy older men not capable of even having sex, have for thousands of years been able to separate pretty wives from their husbands through unscrupulous means just to have her as his trophy wife. Jesus is saying that even this intent is now a capital offence.
Really?

How much INTENT would that be? How would it be measured, so we know when to execute somebody?

edit: Does it appear St. Paul, following Christ, was very concerned to "figure out when it was adultery," to know whom to approve the killing of? Did he ever discuss how, following the point made by Jesus (whatever that was), to discover what was to be considered adultery? I don't think so.

If what Jesus said in Mt. 5:28 meant what some (and I think most) tend to think it means, would not St. Paul have said something about it?
Instead of being worried about who was looking at who, he recommended kissing, kissing at every opportunity, i.e. when greeting one another. Five times he recommended this kissing. Never did he say, "Be careful of who you look at." (Or even, of who you kiss!)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vince C

Oct 10, 2017
New York
✟7,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Interesting Posts from everyone, very insightful and knowledgeable. One sin leads to another, as Jesus said if your eye causes you to sin pluck it out, it's better to go Blind throughout life than offend God. Having said that when someone covets or has lust for something, it is already a sin, because it will most likely lead to more or worse sins. There are degrees of sins, obviously murdering your neighbor is more severe than lying to your boss about the real reason you were late for work. As Christians we must avoid the occasion for sin meaning putting our selves in a place or situation where we could easily be tempted by the Devil. For example walking into a strip club, hanging out with drug addicts etc. This is what Jesus was mentioning about committing a sin "In your heart" specifically what is your intention looking at a woman in a lustful way? Surely not a good one. Then letting oneself to be overwhelmed with lustful desires will eventually lead to committing more grave offenses towards Our Lord.
Patience and self control are great virtues on the eyes of God, The Apostles had to face great temptations while promoting and protecting Jesus' name and Holy Word, they even had to stare death in the face, but still didn't weary in their support of Our Lord Jesus. Pray to God and he will help us, as scripture says " I can do all things through Him who Strengthens me."
God Bless.

Upvote 0