What does Scripture Mean About Perfection?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think that, there is some confusion about what you are talking about.

For example....Paul says we are to "reckon our old man dead"....and we are to understand that our old man is "crucified with Christ".....
The born again, are to perceive it this way, MENTALLY.... because it is true.....yet, if it was not still alive, Paul would not need to tell us what to do with it..

So, its not a "duel nature" issue, its a duel MIND issue, or a ruined faith issue.

There is the "mind of the flesh", and there is " the mind of Christ"
To "renew your mind" is to keep yourself out of the Carnal mind, which is the mind of the Flesh.

There is the "incorruptible" part of us, the born again Spirit, that has been "circumcised" from the Flesh, according to Colossians.
So that is our Born again Spirit that has been parted, separated, circumcised FROM, the "old man"...who is to be "reckoned dead", who was "crucified with Christ".. is to be understood as we are become by spiritual birth... "A new Creation IN Christ".

Now here is deeper theology.....

There is this situation called the "dominion of the law"....and there is the fact that ""the power of sin...is the LAW".
If you are trying to keep yourself saved by commandment keeping and Law keeping, then the power of the Law will empower you to sin more.
And that is how you ruin your Christianity.
You do it by "falling from Grace", which is what we are talking about.... and that simply means to become convinced that you can lose your salvation. And if you have that mind, then Paul says you are "bewitched, and in the Flesh".
And once you have entered and are trapped inside that wrong mind, then Grace has no more ability to empower you to walk in the Spirit.
So..... by that situation in the mind subverting your faith, that is a stronghold, the Law's dominion takes over and produces a sinning and repenting and confessing, lifestyle, as this person's "christianity".
This Christian will live in that, till they deal with that theological stronghold that has ruined/corrupted their Faith.
Most never do who have entered that spiritual darkness. Most stay there for the rest of their life.

So, while the 2 nature theology is its own idea....., its always true that you can be "double minded", and once you become this regarding your faith, then "sin consciousness" is empowered by the Law's dominion and you end up powerless to stop sinning, as the law's dominion will keep activating your sin consciousness that will cause you to keep doing it.

First, believers are initially and ultimately saved by God's grace (i.e. Jesus Christ). It is why a person who comes to Jesus for the first time can have an assurance of salvation (Without doing any kind of work). Initial and ultimate salvation is a gift from God (Ephesians 2:8-9). We are not ultimately saved by works of righteousness we have done alone without God's mercy (Titus 3:5). For even if a believer were to stumble into sin, do they get clean by doing another work? No. They get clean by confessing their sins to Jesus (1 John 2:1) (1 John 1:9) and they ask Jesus to help them to overcome their sin (or to forsake it) (Matthew 26:41) (Romans 13:14) (John 15:5).

Second, Paul was fighting against "Circumcision Salvationism" (Which is Law Alone Salvationism without God's grace); A certain sect of Jews were trying to deceive some Christians into thinking they had to first be circumcised in order to be saved. This was a heresy that was clearly addressed at the Jerusalem council (See Acts of the Apostles 15:1, Acts of the Apostles 15:5, Acts of the Apostles 15:24). Paul also addressed this problem; Paul said to the Galatians that if you seek to be circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing (Galatians 5:2), and then Paul mentions how if you seek to be justified by the Law, you have fallen from grace (Galatians 5:4). This "law" is the Torah because circumcision is not a part of the commands given to us by Jesus and His followers. In other words, any time Paul referred to the “law” or “works” in a negative way, he was referring to the Mosaic Law that is no more as a whole or package deal. As a matter of fact, we read in Scripture...

“And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.” (Acts of the Apostles 13:39).​

Three, if obeying commandments as a part of eternal life is bad, then I suppose you might as well forget about obeying 1 John 3:23. 1 John 3:23 says,

“And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.” (1 John 3:23).​

In fact, the Bible teaches that obedience to God's commands is tied to eternal life from Matthew to Revelation (See Matthew 19:17-19) (Luke 10:25-28) (1 John 1:7) (1 John 3:23) (Hebrews 5:9) (Revelation 22:14).

In addition, the Bible teaches that sin can separate us from God from Matthew to Revelation (Matthew 5:28-30) (Matthew 6:15) (Matthew 12:37) (Matthew 25:31-46) (Luke 9:62) (1 John 3:15) (Galatians 5:19-21) (Revelation 21:8).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eilat

Dec 17, 2020
Netanya
✟4,286.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For even if a believer were to stumble into sin, do they get clean by doing another work? No. They get clean by confessing their sins to Jesus

If we are to be honest before the Lord, then the born again have to stop pretending that all sin is an accident that you stumbled into by surprise.
See, im at this a while, and i dont play a game of..>"well, no believer willfully sins", as that is Hebrews 10, and that is DAMNATION.
So, that is NONSENSE., and the body of Christ in this Laodicean Age is just to the point of hoax.

The reality is, about 100% of you use NetFlix, Redbox, and other cable outlets.
About 100% of you, were addicted to Game of Thrones, or The Sopranos, or 50 other "R" rated cable shows that you watched for 2-7 seasons. (Years).
And you sat there and watched the fornication, and the rape, and the rest of it, and enjoyed it.
Then you go to church and play worship music games of "hallelujah" on Sunday morn, or perhaps Saturday morn, and eventually come to Forums and talk about how sin is "fell into" or its an "accident", or "stumbled into".

"well you see, it was an accident when i rented that "R" rated movie, or that "PG-13" that said..>"nudity, profanity", as its "guidance" warning.
That wasn't "willful" that was just a "stumbling accident".

So here is the reality check.
When you were online or on Cable TV watching something "R", or when you were doing whatever it is that you knew was wrong, and you enjoyed it, then God's Blood, was still active...redeeming you.

There is no out-sinning, the Grace of God, and THANK GOD for that.
There is no....confessing to stay saved, as the reason God keeps you, after you've sinned 222,678 times since you were born again.

Confessing sins is not a re-establishment of God's Grace on your behalf, as most Christians have been led to falsely believe.
ITs not getting your salvation back....and it not how you end up in heaven, as long as you keep playing that 1Jn 1:9 game with yourself.

And of course, im not talking to YOU, Reader, as im sure you've never watched any thing on Cable TV that was 'dirty", since you were saved, unless it was an "accident" that you "stumbled" into it.
Sure, all your sins, subsequent to your salvation were accidents that were not willful or planned.

Uh huh..
Right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If we are to be honest before the Lord, then the born again have to stop pretending that all sin is an accident that you stumbled into by surprise.
See, im at this a while, and i dont play a game of..>"well, no believer willfully sins", as that is Hebrews 10, and that is DAMNATION.

It's no game. It's the truth. The Bible mentions sins done in ignorance.

“Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a soul shall sin through ignorance against any of the commandments of the LORD concerning things which ought not to be done, and shall do against any of them:” (Leviticus 4:2).

“And if the whole congregation of Israel sin through ignorance, and the thing be hid from the eyes of the assembly, and they have done somewhat against any of the commandments of the LORD concerning things which should not be done, and are guilty;” (Leviticus 4:3).

“And if any one of the common people sin through ignorance, while he doeth somewhat againstany of the commandments of the LORD concerning things which ought not to be done, and be guilty;” (Leviticus 4:27).​

This is different than willful sin.

“For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,” (Hebrews 10:26).​

You said:
So, that is NONSENSE., and the body of Christ in this Laodicean Age is just to the point of hoax.

I am not sure if you are denying that we are in the Laodicean Age, or not. But in either case, we can see the following Scripture being fulfilled before our very eyes today.

This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith. But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was.” (2 Timothy 3:1-9).

Does this sound like these individuals are saved or unsaved?

You said:
The reality is, about 100% of you use NetFlix, Redbox, and other cable outlets.

I primarily watch Christian films (that are truly Christian - see these threads here, and here). I may sometimes watch family friendly romance films (that support biblical marriage - and I try to look for unbiblical things within them), and educational nature documentaries (that do not promote Evolution or other false philosophies). I use Amazon video and Christian Cinema to rent new Christian movies.

You said:
About 100% of you, were addicted to Game of Thrones, or The Sopranos, or 50 other "R" rated cable shows that you watched for 2-7 seasons. (Years).
And you sat there and watched the fornication, and the rape, and the rest of it, and enjoyed it.
Then you go to church and play worship music games of "hallelujah" on Sunday morn, or perhaps Saturday morn, and eventually come to Forums and talk about how sin is "fell into" or its an "accident", or "stumbled into".
well you see, it was an accident when i rented that "R" rated movie, or that "PG-13" that said..>"nudity, profanity", as its "guidance" warning.
That wasn't "willful" that was just a "stumbling accident".

I don't watch these kinds of shows anymore. I repented (sought forgiveness) over watching these kinds of worldly entertainment that promotes sin. For me, if it is not Christian, and or labeled family friendly, I don't watch it. I also do not watch TV every day like I used to, either. For me: TV was an idol. It was my fix. Not anymore. Jesus set me free from such bondage.

You said:
So here is the reality check.
When you were online or on Cable TV watching something "R", or when you were doing whatever it is that you knew was wrong, and you enjoyed it, then God's Blood, was still active...redeeming you.

I do not believe I was saved during the time I watched extremely sinful movies. Like I said, these were idols for me (like they are for most people). A person cannot justify sin and still be saved. The Holy Spirit will convict a person in watching these kinds of shows and to put them away. If they refuse, they are rebelling against God.

You said:
There is no out-sinning, the Grace of God, and THANK GOD for that.

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.” (1 Corinthians 6:9-10).

In Matthew 7:23, Jesus told certain believers who did wonderful works in His name to depart from Him because they also worked iniquity, too. Iniquity is sin or lawlessness. To confirm this in fact what Jesus is talking about, we just skip down to verses 26-27.

Jesus says that everyone who does not do what He says is like a fool who built his house upon the sand, and when a storm came, great was the fall of that house (See: Matthew 7:26-27).

Acts of the Apostles 3:23 says that every soul who does not hear that prophet (i.e. JESUS) shall be destroyed among the people. So if we do not hear Jesus on his warnings of hellfire against doing certain sins like in Matthew 5:22, and Matthew 5:28-30, we will be destroyed.

Matthew 13:41-42 says,

“The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.” (Matthew 13:41-42).​

In other words, Matthew 13:41-42 is telling us that the Son of Man (JESUS) will send forth His angels and they will gather out of HIS KINGDOM all things that offend (anything that makes others to stumble into sin), and those who do iniquity (sin) shall be cast into the furnace of fire (i.e. the Lake of Fire). So a believer can be IN HIS KINGDOM and yet cast out and thrown into the Lake of Fire on the account of their justifying sin.

John 12:48 says,

He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.” (John 12:48).​

One part of John 12:48 (above) basically says He who does not receives the words of Jesus, those words will judge them on the last day. What words of Jesus can a Christian today reject (or not receive) that will judge them on the last day? Oh, verses like Matthew 5:28-30, Matthew 6:15, Matthew 12:37, Matthew 25:31-46, Luke 9:62, Luke 10:25-28, etc.; For many Christians have told me that these words of Jesus no longer apply, or they do not mean what they say plainly.

You said:
There is no....confessing to stay saved, as the reason God keeps you, after you've sinned 222,678 times since you were born again.
Confessing sins is not a re-establishment of God's Grace on your behalf, as most Christians have been led to falsely believe.
ITs not getting your salvation back....and it not how you end up in heaven, as long as you keep playing that 1Jn 1:9 game with yourself.

Then you are simply not believing Scripture.

1 John 1:9 says,
“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”​

It says if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins.
1 John 1:9 does not say if we confess our sins, we are already forgiven of our sins.

Proverbs 28:13 says,
“He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.”​

You said:
And of course, im not talking to YOU, Reader, as im sure you've never watched any thing on Cable TV that was 'dirty", since you were saved, unless it was an "accident" that you "stumbled" into it.
Sure, all your sins, subsequent to your salvation were accidents that were not willful or planned.

Uh huh..
Right.

After we are saved by God's grace through faith in Jesus Christ, believers need to also enter and maintain the Sanctification Process as a part of God's plan of salvation.
How so? Well, the Bible says...

1. We are justified by works and not by faith alone (James 2:24).

2. Faith without works is dead (James 2:17).

3. A person can deny God by a lack of works (Titus 1:16).

4. Jesus agreed with the lawyer that to love God, and to love your neighbor is a part of inheriting eternal life (Luke 10:25-28).

5. Those who have done good, shall come forth unto the resurrection of life; and those who have done evil, shall come forth unto the resurrection of damnation (John 5:29).

6. We have to continue in His goodness, otherwise we can be cut off [just like the Jews were cut off] (Romans 11:21-22).

7. Helping the poor, and the unfortunate relates to inheriting the Kingdom (Matthew 25:34-40), and not helping the poor, and the unfortunate relates to going away into everlasting punishment (Matthew 25:41-46).

8. Whoever does not righteousness or does not love his brother is not of God (1 John 3:10).

9. Whoever does what Jesus says is likened unto a wise man who built his house upon the rock, and when a storm came, it did not fall, (Matthew 7:24-25), but the person who does not do what Jesus says is likened unto a fool who built his house upon the sand, and when a storm came, great was the fall of that house (Matthew 7:26-27).

10. Abiding in Jesus will bear much fruit, but if a person does not abide in Jesus [thereby being unfruitful], they are cast out [or cut off] like a branch to be burned in the fire (John 15:5-6).

11. If the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing (1 Peter 4:18-19).

12. Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord (Hebrews 12:14) (NKJV).

So, I am sorry. Things are not as you say.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

“Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a soul shall sin through ignorance against any of the commandments of the LORD concerning things which ought not to be done, and shall do against any of them:” (Leviticus 4:2).

“And if the whole congregation of Israel sin through ignorance, and the thing be hid from the eyes of the assembly, and they have done somewhat against any of the commandments of the LORD concerning things which should not be done, and are guilty;” (Leviticus 4:3).

“And if any one of the common people sin through ignorance, while he doeth somewhat againstany of the commandments of the LORD concerning things which ought not to be done, and be guilty;” (Leviticus 4:27).​

This is different than willful sin.

“For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,” (Hebrews 10:26).​

I am not sure if you are denying that we are in the Laodicean Age, or not. But in either case, we can see the following Scripture being fulfilled before our very eyes today.

This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith. But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was.” (2 Timothy 3:1-9).

Does this sound like these individuals are saved or unsaved?

I primarily watch Christian films (that are truly Christian - see this thread here, and here). I may sometimes watch family friendly romance films (that support biblical marriage - and I try to look for unbiblical things within them), and educational nature documentaries (that do not promote Evolution or other false philosophies). I use Amazon video and Christian Cinema to rent new Christian movies.

I don't watch these kinds of shows anymore. I repented (sought forgiveness) over watching these kinds of worldly entertainment that promotes sin. For me, if it is not Christian, and or labeled family friendly, I don't watch it. I also do not watch TV every day like I used to, either. For me: TV was an idol. It was my fix. Not anymore. Jesus set me free from such bondage.

I do not believe I was saved during the time I watched extremely sinful movies. Like I said, these were idols for me (like they are for most people). A person cannot justify sin and still be saved. The Holy Spirit will convict a person in watching these kinds of shows and to put them away. If they refuse, they are rebelling against God.

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.” (1 Corinthians 6:9-10).

In Matthew 7:23, Jesus told certain believers who did wonderful works in His name to depart from Him because they also worked iniquity, too. Iniquity is sin or lawlessness. To confirm this in fact what Jesus is talking about, we just skip down to verses 26-27.

Jesus says that everyone who does not do what He says is like a fool who built his house upon the sand, and when a storm came, great was the fall of that house (See: Matthew 7:26-27).

Acts of the Apostles 3:23 says that every soul who does not hear that prophet (i.e. JESUS) shall be destroyed among the people. So if we do not hear Jesus on his warnings of hellfire against doing certain sins like in Matthew 5:22, and Matthew 5:28-30, we will be destroyed.

Matthew 13:41-42 says,

“The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.” (Matthew 13:41-42).​

In other words, Matthew 13:41-42 is telling us that the Son of Man (JESUS) will send forth His angels and they will gather out of HIS KINGDOM all things that offend (anything that makes others to stumble into sin), and those who do iniquity (sin) shall be cast into the furnace of fire (i.e. the Lake of Fire). So a believer can be IN HIS KINGDOM and yet cast out and thrown into the Lake of Fire on the account of their justifying sin.

John 12:48 says,

He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.” (John 12:48).​

One part of John 12:48 (above) basically says He who does not receives the words of Jesus, those words will judge them on the last day. What words of Jesus can a Christian today reject (or not receive) that will judge them on the last day? Oh, verses like Matthew 5:28-30, Matthew 6:15, Matthew 12:37, Matthew 25:31-46, Luke 9:62, Luke 10:25-28, etc.; For many Christians have told me that these words of Jesus no longer apply, or they do not mean what they say plainly.

Then you are simply not believing Scripture.

1 John 1:9 says,
“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”​

It says if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins.
1 John 1:9 does not say if we confess our sins, we are already forgiven of our sins.

Proverbs 28:13 says,
“He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.”​

After we are saved by God's grace through faith in Jesus Christ, believers need to also enter and maintain the Sanctification Process as a part of God's plan of salvation.
How so? Well, the Bible says...

1. We are justified by works and not by faith alone (James 2:24).

2. Faith without works is dead (James 2:17).

3. A person can deny God by a lack of works (Titus 1:16).

4. Jesus agreed with the lawyer that to love God, and to love your neighbor is a part of inheriting eternal life (Luke 10:25-28).

5. Those who have done good, shall come forth unto the resurrection of life; and those who have done evil, shall come forth unto the resurrection of damnation (John 5:29).

6. We have to continue in His goodness, otherwise we can be cut off [just like the Jews were cut off] (Romans 11:21-22).

7. Helping the poor, and the unfortunate relates to inheriting the Kingdom (Matthew 25:34-40), and not helping the poor, and the unfortunate relates to going away into everlasting punishment (Matthew 25:41-46).

8. Whoever does not righteousness or does not love his brother is not of God (1 John 3:10).

9. Whoever does what Jesus says is likened unto a wise man who built his house upon the rock, and when a storm came, it did not fall, (Matthew 7:24-25), but the person who does not do what Jesus says is likened unto a fool who built his house upon the sand, and when a storm came, great was the fall of that house (Matthew 7:26-27).

10. Abiding in Jesus will bear much fruit, but if a person does not abide in Jesus [thereby being unfruitful], they are cast out [or cut off] like a branch to be burned in the fire (John 15:5-6).

11. If the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing (1 Peter 4:18-19).

12. Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord (Hebrews 12:14) (NKJV).

So, I am sorry. Things are not as you say.
Works, works, works. That was the Pharisees problem, too.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually the Pharisees ignored the weightier matters of the Law like love, faith, justice, and mercy (See: Matthew 23:23, and Luke 11:42). Jesus rebuked them not because they were not justifying sin under God's grace, but because they were justifying sin. He called them hypocrites, etc. and he warned them against the spiritual dangers of sin. Jesus said cast the unprofitable servant into outer darkness where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Actually the Pharisees ignored the weightier matters of the Law like love, faith, justice, and mercy (See: Matthew 23:23, and Luke 11:42). Jesus rebuked them not because they were not justifying sin under God's grace, but because they were justifying sin. He called them hypocrites, etc. and he warned them against the spiritual dangers of sin. Jesus said cast the unprofitable servant into outer darkness where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth.
You’re correct. Judaizer would be more appropriate.

Upvote 0

Eilat

Dec 17, 2020
Netanya
✟4,286.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

And i explained to you previously, that the body of Christ is full of deceitful people who pretend that all their sinning committed after they are born again, was an accident', or "not intentional", or "not willfully committed".

Thats the reality.

So, once we are honest about this, then we discover the wonder of God's Grace.
But we have to be honest to discover it.
And why not, as God already knows the facts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Billy93

Feb 24, 2021
Florida
✟22,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
(c) Unforgivable sins.

Unforgivable sins are sins that cannot be forgiven. These types of sins would be speaking bad words against the Holy Ghost (Matthew 12:31-32), committing suicide and staying dead (1 John 3:15) (1 Corinthians 3:16-17), and taking the mark of the beast (Revelation 14:9-10).​

As someone who suffers from obsessive thoughts/“urges” to do things which I don’t actually have any desire to do, this terrifies me. Do you really think this means that anyone who speaks bad words against the Holy Spirit is doomed, regardless of whether they mean it or not, or whether they repent or not?

Most interpretations of this passage seem to conclude that it is either referring to something that is not even possible today (witnessing Jesus performing miracles that are clearly of God, and then denying it and rejecting Him anyways), or that is apostasy with no repentance (so, because someone has so totally rejected the Holy Spirit, there is no other hope for them as they have rejected the one thing which could help bring them to repent). I’ve also seen it interpreted that this is impossible for a Christian to do, because he has the Holy Spirit in him. Not sure which interpretation is correct.

I’ve also read multiple stories of people who claim they spoke against the Holy Spirit years ago, but who since repented and got right with God; do you think these people are incorrect? Are they simply imagining that they got right with God, when they really didn’t?

John 6:37 “All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.”

If blaspheming the Holy Spirit really is as simple as just saying some words, wouldn’t this imply that if someone feels remorse for their sin and repents, then Christ will still accept them with open arms? This just terrifies me a lot because I am so scared of slipping up and blurting out something (that I don’t really even mean!) and being doomed forever - even though I am actively and desperately trying to do what is right. :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As someone who suffers from obsessive thoughts/“urges” to do things which I don’t actually have any desire to do, this terrifies me. Do you really think this means that anyone who speaks bad words against the Holy Spirit is doomed, regardless of whether they mean it or not, or whether they repent or not?

Most interpretations of this passage seem to conclude that it is either referring to something that is not even possible today (witnessing Jesus performing miracles that are clearly of God, and then denying it and rejecting Him anyways), or that is apostasy with no repentance (so, because someone has so totally rejected the Holy Spirit, there is no other hope for them as they have rejected the one thing which could help bring them to repent). I’ve also seen it interpreted that this is impossible for a Christian to do, because he has the Holy Spirit in him. Not sure which interpretation is correct.

I’ve also read multiple stories of people who claim they spoke against the Holy Spirit years ago, but who since repented and got right with God; do you think these people are incorrect? Are they simply imagining that they got right with God, when they really didn’t?

John 6:37 “All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.”

If blaspheming the Holy Spirit really is as simple as just saying some words, wouldn’t this imply that if someone feels remorse for their sin and repents, then Christ will still accept them with open arms? This just terrifies me a lot because I am so scared of slipping up and blurting out something (that I don’t really even mean!) and being doomed forever - even though I am actively and desperately trying to do what is right. :(

Don't be so concerned with being "doomed forever". Your post shows that a) you aren't perfect -- none of us are perfect -- and b) you feel remorse for your sin and repent. If you have accepted Jesus Christ as your savior then you are "saved" and have eternal life. Please remember this: God loves you as one of His children. He doesn't expect perfection, only that you have a heart toward Him (which you obviously do).

Upvote 0