What Does It Mean to Speak in Tongues While Sleeping?

dabro

A child of the living God.
Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Now here is my second true encounter with speaking in tongues. First one it felt like something grabbed my vocal cords and I just started to spew these words.......That was like eight years ago.....A couple nights ago I did it while I was sleeping....It woke me up....but, I was much to tired so I went back to bed......I remembered I did it the other day but forgot to post something on it. And just thought of it now. Wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this..

Last edited:

Juelrei

May 13, 2015
✟15,557.00
Now here is my second true encounter with speaking in tongues. First one it felt like something grabbed my vocal cords and I just started to spew these words.......That was like eight years ago.....A couple nights ago I didn't while I was sleeping....It woke me up....but, I was much to tired so I went back to bed......I remembered I did it the other day but forgot to post something on it. And just thought of it now. Wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this..

Speaking in tongues is entirely voluntary, in the same way that speaking in your learned language is voluntary. As the apostle Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 14:15, "I will pray with my spirit and will pray with my understanding also."

I have experienced strongly expressed praying in the spirit when my emotions flow with it. But usually it's expressed more quietly. Both occur when I'm yielding to the unction of the Holy Spirit.

A believer can pray in tongues while sleeping, even as anyone can mumble or speak in their learned language while sleeping.

Upvote 0

LastSeven

Amil
Site Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's amazing. I have always wanted to speak in tongues. It seems to me it would give you such an intimate connection with God. My father has done it in church but as a child I was confused by it. I used to think it was something you could force by just rambling on with non-sensical sounds and that somehow it would magically mean something. lol. I was young.

Upvote 0

majorgen

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
✟16,809.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I too have experienced the same. I always wanted to speak in tongues while awake and it troubled me that I couldn't. One night during this dream it happened. I was trying to rebuke Satan or an evil spirit in the sanctuary of our church who was creating a disturbance there, but it was in English. He was not responding to my words in the dream. Then the words changed to a different language and these words I heard with my own ears. More words were coming to me, but because I heard what I was saying I stopped speaking. To this day I still remember what they are and I'm still trying and waiting to speak in tongues while I'm awake.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i woke one time about 5 am and a man was at the end of my bed ,,he had on a plain robe and a twisted gold sash around his waste ..his hands were clasped together and he was praying ...
then i awoke clearly and it had been a dream as clear as clear .. but i recall he was praying in a tongue i did not know ..all i know is I felt so loved and so peaceful..

i believe it was the lord JESUS --our intercessor

Upvote 0

Daaa

Jan 31, 2014
✟15,395.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Now here is my second true encounter with speaking in tongues. First one it felt like something grabbed my vocal cords and I just started to spew these words.......That was like eight years ago.....A couple nights ago I did it while I was sleeping....It woke me up....but, I was much to tired so I went back to bed......I remembered I did it the other day but forgot to post something on it. And just thought of it now. Wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this..
I have been speaking in tongues for over forty years and it is a prayer language between you and God. it allows you spirit to speak to His spirit openly without human self in the way.

I will never forget my first experence. I was on an Air craft Carrier in the Gulf of Tonkin in Viet Nam in my bunk.

I had prayed for tongues for weeks with a Christian buddy and when it hit me I was all alone spiritually speaking BUT; there were 60 sailors in tha small space and it did not matter it was between me and God. I do not know how it happened but to this day I do not believe I woke up one person.

it was one of the amazing experence of my life.

I pray in tounges all the time when ever the spirit moves, be it when I am driving, laying down to sleep, or just wanting to sup with my Lord.

Upvote 0

Daaa

Jan 31, 2014
✟15,395.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
When you speak in tongues, do you purposefully make sounds like you would when speaking English, or is your tongue essentially out of your own control? I mean, do you choose what to say, and do you even know what you're saying?
The language is just there. Its like you speaking in English but the language is spiritual.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daaa

Jan 31, 2014
✟15,395.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I can't even understand the concept of speaking a language I don't understand.
Understood. No one becomes a Pentecostal until God brings you to this point. No one understands until they have experienced themselves. Its an experience I will never deny or forget.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums