provincial
✟763,513.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If I had to guess, Cor 5:9-11 warns about being a companion to those who enjoy fornication, anger, greed, intoxication, etc. Corinthians 5:12 seems to be God saying that He isn't going to judge people who are without the above sins. Personally, the rest of this passage made me think that there's less of a point in wasting time trying to change the ways of people who have no desire to live repentantly. We reflexively judge both those inside and outside the church, but our real effort should be focused on building up those within it, who DO have a desire to life like Jesus.

Just my thoughts. I might be wrong but I'll take it :crosseo:

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
First off, you need to fix your scripture reference. It is wrong in both the title (which requires a mod to fix) and in the OP (which you can fix)

Secondly, you need to read the whole paragraph and not just pull one verse out of context.

9 I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people; 10 I did not at all mean with the immoral people of this world, or with the covetous and swindlers, or with idolaters, for then you would have to go out of the world. 11 But actually, I wrote to you not to associate with any so-called brother if he is an immoral person, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or a swindler—not even to eat with such a one. 12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Do you not judge those who are within the church? 13 But those who are outside, God judges. Remove the wicked man from among yourselves.

Paul is talking about religious separation. It is for the purpose of purifying the Body of Messiah. He specifically excludes unbelievers from the separation. V13 sums it up - those outside the body get judged by God (not us); and we are to judge and remove those inside the body who are immoral, etc.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@DaveW-Ohev says this well. Those who are outside the congregation, we have no authority over. We only have authority within the walls of the congregation we are part of and to a smaller degree, the body of believers as a whole. So, if we have a "brother" who is in sin, we have a job to judge righteously (according to God's word) and then try to correct and if he doesn't change, we have protocol to deal with it from there.

• Winner
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0