USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The hardness of your heart keeps you deaf and blind to God's voice, whilst also making you an easy target for doctrines of demons to justify your cessationist stance.

Mark13v11But when they might lead you away, delivering you up, do not be anxious beforehand what you should say; but whatever might be given to you in that hour, speak that. For you are not those speaking, but the Holy Spirit.
The above verse refers to persecution in the tribulation period, but it is a principle that the Lord still speaks to his children as he has done from the very beginning.

1Cor1v7so that you are not lacking in any gift, awaiting eagerly the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ, 8who will also confirm you to the end, blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Again, Paul makes it clear that the gifts are given to sustain us till Christ returns.
The Holy Spirit speaks through us when we quote scripture (God's Word). John wrote the Revelation of Jesus Christ bringing an end of the charismatic and apostolic gifts.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And how do you conclude that God doesn't speak to his children, today, as he spoke to them thousands of years ago.?
The bible is the complete revelation. Tongues and prophecy were fragments that became scripture giving the complete picture.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The bible is the complete revelation. Tongues and prophecy were fragments that became scripture giving the complete picture.
How did you come to that conclusion since the Bible doesn't say that? Nor does it say that God stopped speaking to his children.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How did you come to that conclusion since the Bible doesn't say that? Nor does it say that God stopped speaking to his children.
“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.” (2 Timothy 3:16–17) (KJV 1900)

• Agree
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.” (2 Timothy 3:16–17) (KJV 1900)
I agree with those verses but they certainly don't say anything about God not speaking to his children any less today than in the 1st century AD.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with those verses but they certainly don't say anything about God not speaking to his children any less today than in the 1st century AD.
He speaks thru his word. Voices in head = not good.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,156.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Off topic a bit, but it's still about hearing God's voice. I lifted this off a web site - Church puts visitors on notice over phones

For visitors to France's many churches, text alerts or ringtones from mobile phones have long been a source of annoyance.
Now, one church in Corsica has delivered a twin message that urges visitors to turn off their phones while inside the building - and delivers a road safety message at the same time.

Church puts visitors on notice over phones

Visitors to one church in Corsica urged to turn off phones - and warned what could happen if they use their phones while driving. For visitors to France's many churches, text alerts or ringtones from mobile phones have long been a source of annoyance.

Now, one church in Corsica has delivered a twin message that urges visitors to turn off their phones while inside the building - and delivers a road safety message at the same time.

The note on the door of the church in Nonza, Cap Corse, reads:

"It is possible that as you enter this church you will hear God's call. However, it is unlikely that he will contact you by phone. Please turn off your phones. If you want to talk to God, come in, choose a quiet place and talk to him.

If you want to see him, send a text message while driving…"

• Haha
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
He speaks thru his word.
He does but one needs more than having the Bible to understand what it contains. Without God's Holy Spirit to reveal the written word man cannot understand it.

Voices in head = not good.
Depends on who those voices are. Scripture says that it is a sin to blasphemy against the Holy Spirit so one must be careful about claims of who does or doesn't hear God's voice.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I don't want an argument, I was just looking for answers from you which were not forthcoming at all.

That's the first time you have said about discernment, everything else was just waffle.

Waffles are yummy. :sorry:

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
The Holy Spirit speaks through us when we quote scripture (God's Word). John wrote the Revelation of Jesus Christ bringing an end of the charismatic and apostolic gifts.

John wrote the Book of Revelation around 90 AD, and if you imagine that John's book was itself that revealing of Christ, you are a very deluded Christian. The book of Revelation describes the period in history running up to return of Christ, which will come at the very end when Jesus is revealed to all mankind.

The gifts of the Holy Spirit were explicitly given to sustain the church till that time arrives, just as Paul states below.-

1Cor1v7so as for you not to be lacking in any gift as you eagerly await the revelation (apocalypse) of our Lord Jesus Christ,
ie. The gifts have been given till the return (revelation) of Christ.
Only a complete idiot would pretend that revelation/apocalypse means John's Book of Revelation.

The very next verse shows Paul equating Christ's revelation to the end of the current era, also the day of the Lord, which was not 90AD, when John wrote his book.

8who also will sustain you to the end, blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Summary.
v7 states that the gifts of the Holy Spirit were expected to run till Jesus is finally revealed.
v8. the time of that revealing is not 90AD, but comes at the end, synonymous with the day of the Lord. (the second coming)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John wrote the Book of Revelation around 90 AD, and if you imagine that John's book was itself that revealing of Christ, you are a very deluded Christian. The book of Revelation describes the period in history running up to return of Christ, which will come at the very end when Jesus is revealed to all mankind.

The gifts of the Holy Spirit were explicitly given to sustain the church till that time arrives, just as Paul states below.-

1Cor1v7so as for you not to be lacking in any gift as you eagerly await the revelation (apocalypse) of our Lord Jesus Christ,
Only a complete idiot would pretend that revelation/apocalypse means John's Book of Revelation.

The very next verse shows Paul equating Christ's revelation to the end of the current era, also the day of the Lord, which was not 90AD, when John wrote his book.

8who also will sustain you to the end, blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Summary.
v7 states that the gifts of the Holy Spirit were expected to run till Jesus is finally revealed.
v8. the time of that revealing is not 90AD, but comes at the end, synonymous with the day of the Lord. (the second coming)
Paul used the same term, Apocalypse, when telling people not to come behind in no gift waiting for it. And this would also establish them till the end. So he's not speaking of the end of the world. Instead, he must speak of John's apocalypse. Which is about the time scripture became the complete revelation of which tongues and prophecy were only the parts.

• Agree
Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,447.00
Faith
Christian

Summary.

1 Cor 1:7 does not say the all the gifts would be available until Jesus returns....

Paul was directly addressing the Corinthians in this verse as it forms part of Paul's greeting to them where he lists various attributes the Corinthians possessed. One of those was they were not lacking in any of their gifts, another was they patiently waiting for the return of Christ. There is no connecting "until" between the two. In fact most major bible versions clearly separate the 2 clauses with commas:

NASB "so that you are not lacking in any gift, awaiting eagerly the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ,"

NKJV "so that you come short in no gift, eagerly waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ,"

ESV "so that you are not lacking in any gift, as you wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ,"

RSV "so that you are not lacking in any spiritual gift, as you wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ;"

KJV "So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ"

Secondly, "not to be lacking in any gift" does not mean they possess every spiritual gift available. The Greek word for 'lacking' (hustereó) means deficient.

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance

to lack, need

From husteros; to be later, i.e. (by implication) to be inferior; generally, to fall short (be deficient) -- come behind (short), be destitute, fail, lack, suffer need, (be in) want, be the worse.

So it more likely means they are not deficient in any gift that they already possess. Even if it is taken as meaning the Corinthians had all the gifts available, that doesn't mean that the universal church throughout all the church age would also have all the gifts. That is a non-sequitur.

I am not aware of any commentators who says this verse is saying all spiritual gifts would continue until the return of Christ. Not even the pentecostal Gordon Fee uses this verse to argue for continuationism.

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,447.00
Faith
Christian
KNOW that Christ can never lie...NEVER LIE. So when you read "my sheep" thats YOU... He said "y sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me"

What that means is just what HE said... He said you will KNOW HIS voice... you never have to wonder... some call it that still small voice in side.. and you KNOW its Him.. you never have to wonder.. you know that you know that you know..

When Jesus said "my sheep hear my voice" what did he mean by 'my voice'. Would we hear an audible voice? Would he put thoughts into our heads? Or what? It is interesting to do a study on God's voice in scripture. If we perform a search in the bible for the word 'voice', picking out the times it is referring to God's voice, you will notice that it is either:

1. The literal audible voice of God:

Deut 4:12 "Then the Lord spoke to you from the midst of the fire; you heard the sound of words, but you saw no form—only a voice."

Ezekiel 1:28 "Such was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the Lord. And when I saw it, I fell on my face and heard a voice speaking."

Matt 3:17 "and behold, a voice out of the heavens said, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well-pleased.”"

Mark 9:7 "Then a cloud formed, overshadowing them, and a voice came out of the cloud, “This is My beloved Son, listen to Him!”

John 12:28 "Then a voice came out of heaven: “I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.” So the crowd of people who stood by and heard it were saying that it had thundered; others were saying, “An angel has spoken to Him.”

Acts 9:4 "he fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?”"

(this is a small selection)​

or
2. God's word recorded in Scripture:

Psalm 103:20 "Mighty in strength, who perform His word, obeying the voice of His word!"

Judges 2:20 "So the anger of the Lord burned against Israel, and He said, “Because this nation has transgressed My covenant which I commanded their fathers and has not listened to my voice"

2 Kings 18:12 "because they did not obey the voice of the Lord their God, but transgressed His covenant, even all that Moses the servant of the Lord commanded;

Psalm 106:24-25 "They did not believe in His word, but grumbled in their tents; they did not listen to the voice of the Lord."

Jer 9:13 "The Lord said, “Because they have forsaken My law which I set before them, and have not obeyed My voice nor walked according to it".

Deut 13:18 "if you will listen to the voice of the Lord your God, keeping all His commandments"

Deut 15:5 "if only you listen obediently to the voice of the Lord your God, to observe carefully all this commandment"

Deut 26:14 "I have listened to the voice of the Lord my God; I have done according to all that You have commanded me."

Ex 19:5 "Now then, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant"

Ex 23:21 "But if you truly obey his voice and do all that I say, then I will be an enemy to your enemies and an adversary to your adversaries. " (this is Moses speaking)

Dan 9:10 "nor have we obeyed the voice of the Lord our God, to walk in His teachings which He set before us through His servants the prophets."

1 Sam 12:14 "If you will fear the Lord and serve Him, and listen to His voice and not rebel against the command of the Lord"

1 Sam 12:14 "If you will not listen to the voice of the Lord, but rebel against the command of the Lord,"

Jer 26:12-13 "The Lord sent me to prophesy against this house and against this city all the words that you have heard. Now therefore amend your ways and your deeds and obey the voice of the Lord your God".

Jer 40:2-3 "The Lord your God promised this calamity against this place; and the Lord has brought it on and done just as He promised. Because you people sinned against the Lord and did not listen to His voice, therefore this thing has happened to you".

Psalm 81:11 “But My people did not listen to My voice, And Israel did not obey Me.

Now when Jesus said my "sheep hear my voice" we are told this was a figure of speech (John 10:6). Jesus is not literally a shepherd; we are not literally sheep; and we not literally hear his voice. It is a metaphor. So if it not the audible voice of God, then it must surely be other option. The Lord's voice is his speaking to us in scripture. Not thoughts popping into our heads.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But then, what is an audible voice?

I've heard audible voices. In my experience, they are other types of beings, demons or angels.

I am led to believe by scripture and by experience that if the Holy Spirit abides within a person, He will speak from within that person. No one else will hear that.

Other spiritual beings, unable to be within a person while the Holy Spirit abides within that person, must manipulate air waves externally.

However, on one occasion, the Holy Spirit gave both my wife and I discernment of the presence of a demon. I saw it, but my wife heard it. But that was discernment given by the Holy Spirit.

Great point. But, can you agree that we perceive things with our senses?

What if the Holy Spirit speaks in a way internally that sounds perfectly audible and clear to the person He speaks to that others can't hear? Is it any less audible to the person He spoke to, because outside parties couldn't verify what was said--especially if no outside parties were there?

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Paul used the same term, Apocalypse, when telling people not to come behind in no gift waiting for it. And this would also establish them till the end. So he's not speaking of the end of the world. Instead, he must speak of John's apocalypse. Which is about the time scripture became the complete revelation of which tongues and prophecy were only the parts.
If you had read the post properly, you would see that Paul completely discounts that theory.

So please read it again below, and you will see that Paul directly links the word "apocalypse" with "the day of the Lord" in the next verse. ie. It cannot possibly be the Book of Revelation.

Summary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,804.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Great point. But, can you agree that we perceive things with our senses?

What if the Holy Spirit speaks in a way internally that sounds perfectly audible and clear to the person He speaks to that others can't hear? Is it any less audible to the person He spoke to, because outside parties couldn't verify what was said--especially if no outside parties were there?

A couple of years ago, I walked into a Walmart and was immediately hit by an immense wave of dizziness (which may not be surprising, depending on your opinion of Walmart).

Immediately after I recovered from the dizziness, I noted a huge new "floater" in my right eye. It was (is) the shape of a cowboy's lasso and takes up about 5% of my vision in that eye. Right away, I went to the optometrist office in that Walmart to be checked out.

The optometrist confirmed the floater--it was so large he could see it and agree with my description. His explanation for the wave of dizziness was this:

The nerves lining the interior of my eyeball noted the incident that caused the floater and sent impulses to my brain. But my brain had no standardized designation for the impulses it was getting from that singular event. So, essentially, my brain said, "I don't know what the heck that was. I'll just call it 'dizziness.'"

So, yes, the Holy Spirit could manipulate brain reactions in such a way as to make the brain identify an impulse as heard sound even though it wasn't. And I have experienced that kind of thing, which I alluded to in the last paragraph of the post you quoted.

In that circumstance, the Holy Spirit cause my wife and I to discern a demon in two different ways. The Holy Spirit enabled me to see the demon, it enabled my wife to hear it. But I'm sure there were no physical sound waves being generated or reflected light waves to be seen, because I didn't hear it and my wife didn't see it. It was all perception in our minds, generated by the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Mostly just like your own inner voice. That is why people have such a hard time knowing if what they "heard" was them or God.
One would have to be fully convinced and not doubt and not know they are wrong in any way in it, which takes great faith... Which would take a testing and discerning of Spirits to get there also...

That inner voice that comes from a person's "core" sometimes buried deep down, is God in some form, at least one member of the trinity...

Hearing God is more perceiving God and discerning God, in you, with you, ect, more than anything, when you do or ever get to the point of ever having the "mind (and heart) of God, you will "hear" (quote/unquote) very clearly... Until then it is like looking through a glass dimly or darkly...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
One would have to be fully convinced and not doubt and not know they are wrong in any way in it, which takes great faith... Which would take a testing and discerning of Spirits to get there also...

That inner voice that comes from a person's "core" sometimes buried deep down, is God in some form, at least one member of the trinity...

Hearing God is more perceiving God and discerning God, in you, with you, ect, more than anything, when you do or ever get to the point of ever having the "mind (and heart) of God, you will "hear" (quote/unquote) very clearly... Until then it is like looking through a glass dimly or darkly...

God Bless!
Too many qualification in that description. It reads like a legal agreement to buy a used car.

Upvote 0