Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Reported crimes is not the same as crimes we cannot report.

Murder and rape are very much crimes that can be reported and both are much less prevalent then they were in, direct opposition to your contention that the majority of people will commit them.

The crimes against God are growing and you do not have anyone accept God who is truly aware of such a thing.

If no humans rights are transgressed against no crime was committed.

I was not born yesterday. Things are not as good as they once were. You cannot leave your doors unlocked like back in the day.

When was back in the day?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Murder and rape are very much crimes that can be reported and both are much less prevalent then they were in, direct opposition to your contention that the majority of people will commit them.

If no humans rights are transgressed against no crime was committed.

When was back in the day?

I see you are not really interested in knowing the truth of what God's Word really says and the evil that is growing in our world today. Continue on as you were. You will not see what I am trying to tell you unless you seek forgiveness with the Lord Jesus Christ (according to His Word). For I can lead a horse to water, but I cannot force it to drink. Knowing the truth of what is really going on depends on accepting the Savior.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I see you are not really interested in knowing the truth of what God's Word really says and the evil that is growing in our world today.

Yet this growing evil, which you contend includes the majority of the population committing violent crimes, somehow does not show up in the crime rates, odd.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yet this growing evil, which you contend includes the majority of the population committing violent crimes, somehow does not show up in the crime rates, odd.

As I said, there are other sins or crimes that you do not consider as sins or crimes that have been growing in number. Surely you should know what Christians are upset with morally nowadays (Whereby they are things that are not a problem for you).

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As I said, there are other sins or crimes that you do not consider as sins or crimes that have been growing in number.

Are you retracting your assertion that the majority of people will commit violent crimes? What are these "other crimes" that are on the rise yet are not showing up in the crime statistics?

Surely you should know what Christians are upset with morally nowadays (Whereby they are things that are not a problem for you).

That varies a great deal depending on what sect of Christians one is speaking of. Conservative Christians seem most upset with homosexuality, which I doubt it really on the rise as far as numbers of people go they just no longer have to hide it for fear dire consequences, and abortion. Interestingly the abortion rate has been and still is on the decline in the US.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's called reaping and sowing. You reap what you sow. Cause and effect.
That's not quite right. You're comparing the DP to something like a natural consequence -- cause and effect. There is nothing natural about the DP and nothing that suggests we are compelled to execute people for crimes we deem worthy of death.

If you kill others, others can kill you.
What makes this justifiable and who gets to draw the lines? Can soldiers or police officers be held to account for their killings? Why is it ok to kill in one setting or profession but not others?

Consider an executioner who unknowingly puts to death an innocent person. Are we now justified in killing that executioner? After all, he killed an innocent person. Should they not pay for their crime?

What you are looking for is forgiveness.
Not at all. I want to live in a society that doesn't think killing more people is a solution to people killing each other. It's not. It's only revenge we are satisfying.

Oh, and there is. Forgiveness takes the form of Jesus Christ. This will totally transform a person so they will not want to kill anymore and they can be forgiven of their sin of murder.
Are you saying Christians cannot sin once they've accepted Christ? I don't buy that.

I see no problem in a person facing the same end that they have caused if they are not willing to repent or change before God.
What if they do repent? Should they still face execution?

If they do evil, and they always want to remain that way, then they should be put to an end so as not to cause harm to others. So as to promote a place of peace. In the end, evil will not exist.
Well then... If that's the case, nothing we do now will really matter in the end. The good and faithful will have their rewards regardless of what they suffer and the wicked will be disposed of. That's God's plan, isn't it?

The wicked will not be tortured alive in flames for all eternity. God will destroy all those who do evil so that those who have believed in Jesus and have done good will remain. So that peace, goodness, and order will only remain. Those who have chosen God and His good ways will live forever. So why would you want evil hanging around? It would just cause more heart ache and chaos.
That's a really nice sounding idea but it doesn't really apply to world we are currently living in. In this world there is evil and there are consequences for it but we can't just take that as an excuse to treat convicts as bad as we want because we feel they deserve it. That includes the punishments we decide on for crimes.

But sometimes they get out and kill more people or they kill the police guard who has a loving family.
But until they do, we can't assume someone is going to do these things. Unfortunately, we have to wait until a crime is committed before we can prosecute someone for it. If only the potential to be evil is needed to put someone to death then we should all be executed just to save time since we all have that potential.

I disagree. Punishment is always an effective deterrent for crime.
How is it effective if the crime has already been committed?

Most everyone knows you get the DP for killing someone yet, people still murder. Every murderer that commits his crime was not deterred at all by the threat of death, or they wouldn't be murderers. What makes you think it'll work with the next one?

If people knew they could go to jail for 3 months for going over the speed limit, I think more people would stop speeding. If our prison systems included torture, I think more people would stop stealing and murdering others. For who wants to be tortured? That is worse than death many times.
I agree. And if we had these punishments for all crimes no one would ever break the law at all. Right? Everything would be peaceful so, why don't we just do that?

Could it be that torturing people is wrong, no matter the circumstance? Why don't we feel that way about killing people?

Granted, I am not for torture mind you. I am just saying that bad things can be a deterrent for a person who wants to do something wrong.
But that alone does not make it the right approach to crime prevention. Sure, it's effective. So is cutting off hands for theft. But there's a reason we don't do that and it has a lot to do with the kind of society we'd like to be.

For if a person knows that they can get eaten by sharks by swimming in a pool of sharks with chum in it, then why would they want to do that? Bad things happening to a person can be a very effective deterrent. Don't touch that hot stove. It will burn you, etc. Cause and effect. You do bad things, then bad things will come upon you.
Again, you are comparing a totally unnatural consequence (the DP for X crime) with a natural cause and effect (burning yourself on a hot stove). These two things are not comparable. I get the point you're making that murders should be punished harshly and let me be clear that I am not suggesting we let them go free. But the punishment of death for a crime is not a natural consequence. That is something we literally made up because it made sense to early, more barbaric societies. There's nothing that suggests the proper punishment for murder has to be yet another, state sanctioned murder.

Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I'm thinking logically. There is no immediate inference from "murder" to..... anything except unlawful killing. But from "unlawful killing" one can't infer death penalty, or its opposite. So the OP introduces some elements of processing (feelings are considered, a scale of more and more penalties for more severe crimes is introduced).

Any mathematicians here?

Is moral reasoning polynomial?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,587.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I like the way subtle background ambience and the animation is used to create a feeling of dread.

That guy should stop talking about politics and just teach influencing, it would be far more informative.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,587.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately, most people are sinful and they are going to kill, rape, and do all manner of sick things.
Christians often have such a depressing view of humanity.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Loren T.

Jun 26, 2018
Hadley
✟24,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am a New Testament Pacifist. This means I would seek to not kill or harm a bad person myself, but I would seek to do everything within my power (by non-violent means to stop a bad person). So I would also not approve of a Christian allowing themselves or their family to be murdered and raped (with them standing idly by). They should strive to flee and or restrain the attacker and or use any non-violent means to stop them or get away. They should also call 911 so that the attacker would not harm anyone else. However, if we as Christians were to shoot them, then that murderer cannot repent and accept Jesus if they are dead. I would think the fear of death penalty or capital punishment would be enough to get the murderer to rethink their life and accept the Lord before they die.
This sounds rather unrealistic to me. How do you non violently restrain a violent person? God forbid we ever have to make the choice, but if it's to protect the innocent, I'm going to pull the trigger and let God be my judge.

Upvote 0

Loren T.

Jun 26, 2018
Hadley
✟24,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, most people are sinful and they are going to kill, rape, and do all manner of sick things.
I don't know what people you associate with. I agree that we are all sinful. I don't agree that the majority of people that I'm acquainted with would ever murder someone or rape anyone. Even the majority of the non christians have certain standards that they abide by. They might have no problem with sex outside marriage, for example, but would condemn rape. Perhaps it's just that I live in a rural area. It seems the more people are put together in a small area, the more their sinfulness comes out. One thing that has increased even in rural america is drug use and the resulting rise in petty thievery.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Listen. If you are atheist, humanist, or a paganist I am not going to read your post at this point. I am not interested in discussing the Bible at length with those who reject the Bible. So please stop replying to me. I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Listen. If you are atheist, humanist, or a paganist, I am not going to read your post at this point. So please stop replying to me. Thank you.
That is quite a juxtaposition between your post and your signature line.....

• Agree
Reactions: Tanj
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,587.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Listen. If you are atheist, humanist, or a paganist, I am not going to read your post at this point. So please stop replying to me. Thank you.
Discordianist, too?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Listen. If you are atheist, humanist, or a paganist I am not going to read your post at this point. I am not interested in discussing the Bible at length with those who reject the Bible. So please stop replying to me. I would appreciate it. Thank you.
I would suggest using the christians only portions of the website if out presence offends you so.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The death penalty is something that affects our entire society, not just Christians. If you are making arguments for laws in my society then I get to voice my criticism of your arguments.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
David murdered and committed adultery and yet God allowed Him to remain alive (with the death of his son). Granted, I am not against Capital Punishment. According to Romans 13, we are supposed to obey the laws of the land and they are usually set into place to execute judgment upon those who do wrong, letting us know that there is a form of justice in the world. For the army and police, and are judicial system are like an arm of God (Who all carry out justice). For ultimately justice does rest in the hands of God. Criminals who think they have gotten away with their crimes and will never be caught will have to face God (even if they have evaded the word's justice system).

I am a New Testament Pacifist. This means I would seek to not kill or harm a bad person myself, but I would seek to do everything within my power (by non-violent means to stop a bad person). So I would also not approve of a Christian allowing themselves or their family to be murdered and raped (with them standing idly by). They should strive to flee and or restrain the attacker and or use any non-violent means to stop them or get away. They should also call 911 so that the attacker would not harm anyone else. However, if we as Christians were to shoot them, then that murderer cannot repent and accept Jesus if they are dead. I would think the fear of death penalty or capital punishment would be enough to get the murderer to rethink their life and accept the Lord before they die. I know Jeffrey Dahmer said he accepted Christ (before he was killed).

Is Jeffrey really in heaven for sure? Did he really mean those words? I am not God to know Jeffrey's heart. If he was sincere with God before he died, then "yes" he is saved. If he was truly saved, then Jeffrey would be a new person with a new heart and new desires in Heaven. For we are all deserving of death for rebelling against God for sinning against Him. Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life to change men's hearts from doing evil.

Thank you very much. That is thought provoking.

Upvote 0