Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
We are having computer network problems today so I couldn't watch it all. I feel that if you kill someone deliberately and unless it was an act of self defence of you or another then yes the death penalty should be a consideration.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
PragerU has recently ungone censorship here in the USA ... it was FB ... they are back now after POTUS remarked/tweeted about shadow-banning. Also, the Southern Poverty Law Center is against them. So I have to think they are conservative in their views.

God created capital punishment... murder no, putting evil people to death yes. He allows us to deliver justice for some things.

I like the fact that DNA testing can rule out not-guilty people (for no one is truly innocent before God.)

IMO 'good' video, thought-provoking which is why they create their short videos.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
David murdered and committed adultery and yet God allowed Him to remain alive (with the death of his son). Granted, I am not against Capital Punishment. According to Romans 13, we are supposed to obey the laws of the land and they are usually set into place to execute judgment upon those who do wrong, letting us know that there is a form of justice in the world. For the army and police, and are judicial system are like an arm of God (Who all carry out justice). For ultimately justice does rest in the hands of God. Criminals who think they have gotten away with their crimes and will never be caught will have to face God (even if they have evaded the word's justice system).

I am a New Testament Pacifist. This means I would seek to not kill or harm a bad person myself, but I would seek to do everything within my power (by non-violent means to stop a bad person). So I would also not approve of a Christian allowing themselves or their family to be murdered and raped (with them standing idly by). They should strive to flee and or restrain the attacker and or use any non-violent means to stop them or get away. They should also call 911 so that the attacker would not harm anyone else. However, if we as Christians were to shoot them, then that murderer cannot repent and accept Jesus if they are dead. I would think the fear of death penalty or capital punishment would be enough to get the murderer to rethink their life and accept the Lord before they die. I know Jeffrey Dahmer said he accepted Christ (before he was killed).

Is Jeffrey really in heaven for sure? Did he really mean those words? I am not God to know Jeffrey's heart. If he was sincere with God before he died, then "yes" he is saved. If he was truly saved, then Jeffrey would be a new person with a new heart and new desires in Heaven. For we are all deserving of death for rebelling against God for sinning against Him. Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life to change men's hearts from doing evil.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think if the point we are trying to make as a society is that killing people is wrong then killing people to make that point is the wrong way to do it.

There aren't too many other ancient ideas that have carried over well into our modern world. I don't see what makes capital punishment so exceptional other than the fact it satisfies our lust for revenge.

It's also not smart to give the government the power to decide when someone dies and for what reason they think they should.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think if the point we are trying to make as a society is that killing people is wrong then killing people to make that point is the wrong way to do it.

There aren't too many other ancient ideas that have carried over well into our modern world. I don't see what makes capital punishment so exceptional other than the fact it satisfies our lust for revenge.

It's also not smart to give the government the power to decide when someone dies and for what reason they think they should.

If everyone became a (Christ following) Christian on our planet, they would be under orders by Jesus Christ not to take life. So there would be peace on this world if everyone truly followed Jesus in what He says. But seeing God knows that is not going to happen, God has made it possible for His justice to be carried out on this world by men in the justice system. We do need a justice system in our sin filled world. For if there was no justice, then there would be no order. There would be no police. People would just kill and rape each other and they could get away with it because there is no form of justice to stop them. So there are laws in place to keep the order and the peace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married

Do you disagree with his reasons? Or agree?

Disagree. He appeals to the basic instincts of humanity for his arguments. The idea that evil can only be defeated by worse evil is why the world has so very many wars, bad governments and angry populations.

However, there are two ways of looking at the issue of capital punishment. The first way is for those who choose to follow Jesus and practice His teachings. For them, the only question they should consider on the issue is "Does capital punishment demonstrate self-sacrificing loving behavior?" Try as I might, I can't find any argument in which killing a human being...regardless of how much they may 'deserve it'...can be described as loving behavior toward the person being put to death.

The other way to look at it is a secular way in which pragmatic, logical and legal processes are followed regardless of any religious or spiritual concepts. This method often times simply follows long tradition and stuffy rules of evidence in which...in America at least...the system only promises that each person gets a 'fair' trial which follows all the rules. It does NOT promise that justice will be served or only truly guilty people will be convicted.

Despite what the gentleman in the video says, America's most secure prisons are virtually escape proof. The needs of society to be protected from truly evil people can be reasonably ensured with a simple life in prison sentence. And should someone be found later as having to been falsely convicted, it is easier to say, "Oops, sorry." when the person is still alive.

Being a follower of Jesus is not always an easy path. Sometimes one needs to take a stand which is not popular with friends, family, or even one's own culture.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If everyone became a (Christ following) Christian on our planet, they would be under orders by Jesus Christ not to take life. So there would be peace on this world if everyone truly followed Jesus in what He says. But seeing God knows that is not going to happen, God has made it possible for His justice to be carried out on this world by men in the justice system. We do need a justice system in our sin filled world. For if there was no justice, then there would be no order. There would be no police. People would just kill and rape each other and they could get away with it because there is no form of justice to stop them. So there are laws in place to keep the order and the peace.
I don't know how you got to complete lawlessness and anarchy out of me saying we don't need to execute murderers to make the point murder is wrong.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't know how you got to complete lawlessness and anarchy out of me saying we don't need to execute murderers to make the point murder is wrong.

Your post implied that capital punishment was not justice but it seems more like revenge. But what if the murderers killed more people like police guards and or they escaped and killed more people? The thing is that they are a problem for keeping order and peace within a society. Things can go wrong and they can still cause more harm. Also, death being the punishment is to show the seriousness of their crime. If crimes did not go punished, then it would seem like God does not care about justice. You can do whatever you want and get away with it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Your post implied that capital punishment was not justice but it seems more like revenge.
It does to me. We want to see people pay for their crimes and I agree they should but if we are making the argument that killing another person is wrong, and not just wrong but extremely wrong, then we can't turn around and go and kill a person to make that point really stick. Otherwise, how can you say it's wrong when you condone that exact action against someone accused of a crime? Keep in mind our justice systems are not perfect. Our laws are not perfect and juries don't always make the right decision in regards to a case presented to them.

But what if the murderers killed more people like police guards and or they escaped and killed more people?
Then they'd be stopped, apprehended and found guilty of those crimes and we deal with them then or they'd be killed in the process. This is a possibility that exists with just about anybody we have in custody at the moment yet, we don't hear too much about murderers already in prison going off and murdering everyone around them all the time, do we?

The thing is that they are a problem for keeping order and peace within a society. Things can go wrong and they can still cause more harm. Also, death being the punishment is to show the seriousness of their crime. If crimes did not go punished, then it would seem like God does not care about justice. You can do whatever you want and get away with it.
Except, that already is the case. In fact, every person guilty of murder has already "gotten away" with their crime since they already did what they set out to do... Kill someone. Since we can't convict people of murders they haven't yet committed, there's no way to use the threat of death to really prevent murders from happening. We only execute people after the crime has been committed which tells me, we do it for retribution.

We are just as bloodthirsty as a society as the murderers we so despise and fear.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It does to me. We want to see people pay for their crimes and I agree they should but if we are making the argument that killing another person is wrong, and not just wrong but extremely wrong, then we can't turn around and go and kill a person to make that point really stick. Otherwise, how can you say it's wrong when you condone that exact action against someone accused of a crime? Keep in mind our justice systems are not perfect. Our laws are not perfect and juries don't always make the right decision in regards to a case presented to them.

It's called reaping and sowing. You reap what you sow. Cause and effect. If you kill others, others can kill you. What you are looking for is forgiveness. Oh, and there is. Forgiveness takes the form of Jesus Christ. This will totally transform a person so they will not want to kill anymore and they can be forgiven of their sin of murder. I see no problem in a person facing the same end that they have caused if they are not willing to repent or change before God. If they do evil, and they always want to remain that way, then they should be put to an end so as not to cause harm to others. So as to promote a place of peace. In the end, evil will not exist. The wicked will not be tortured alive in flames for all eternity. God will destroy all those who do evil so that those who have believed in Jesus and have done good will remain. So that peace, goodness, and order will only remain. Those who have chosen God and His good ways will live forever. So why would you want evil hanging around? It would just cause more heart ache and chaos.

You said:
Then they'd be stopped, apprehended and found guilty of those crimes and we deal with them then or they'd be killed in the process. This is a possibility that exists with just about anybody we have in custody at the moment yet, we don't hear too much about murderers already in prison going off and murdering everyone around them all the time, do we?

But sometimes they get out and kill more people or they kill the police guard who has a loving family.

You said:
Except, that already is the case. In fact, every person guilty of murder has already "gotten away" with their crime since they already did what they set out to do... Kill someone. Since we can't convict people of murders they haven't yet committed, there's no way to use the threat of death to really prevent murders from happening. We only execute people after the crime has been committed which tells me, we do it for retribution.

We are just as bloodthirsty as a society as the murderers we so despise and fear.

I disagree. Punishment is always an effective deterrent for crime. If people knew they could go to jail for 3 months for going over the speed limit, I think more people would stop speeding. If our prison systems included torture, I think more people would stop stealing and murdering others. For who wants to be tortured? That is worse than death many times. Granted, I am not for torture mind you. I am just saying that bad things can be a deterrent for a person who wants to do something wrong. For if a person knows that they can get eaten by sharks by swimming in a pool of sharks with chum in it, then why would they want to do that? Bad things happening to a person can be a very effective deterrent. Don't touch that hot stove. It will burn you, etc. Cause and effect. You do bad things, then bad things will come upon you.

Upvote 0

ThievingMagpie

Jun 5, 2018
London
✟64,205.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Eh, I think his arguments around murdering innocents are disingenuous. He says its virtually impossible to achieve a false conviction but there are countless cases where people have been falsely convicted and in recent memory too. Even if you were to set abnormally high standards of evidence technology has progressed to the point where fabricating video and photographic documentation is relatively easy.

I looked at the comments under his video, there're a lot of people advocating for torturing murderers for a lifetime before killing them... which gave me a daily dose of internet sadness, but also suggests that what they think is most important is revenge. I believe the justice system exists for justice and reform not revenge, and by killing convicts you take away any chance that they can be reformed.

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,029.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
If everyone became a (Christ following) Christian on our planet, they would be under orders by Jesus Christ not to take life. So there would be peace on this world if everyone truly followed Jesus in what He says.

And if everyone decided as I’ve done, using non religious methods, that taking a life is wrong to them, there would be peace on this world. Without the need of religion.

For if there was no justice, then there would be no order. There would be no police. People would just kill and rape each other and they could get away with it because there is no form of justice to stop them. So there are laws in place to keep the order and the peace.

I don’t refrain from killing people because I might get caught by the police and punished. I refrain from killing people because I’ve decided that it’s wrong to me.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And if everyone decided as I’ve done, using non religious methods, that taking a life is wrong to them, there would be peace on this world. Without the need of religion.

Unfortunately, most people are sinful and they are going to kill, rape, and do all manner of sick things.

Also, you can still be sinful and bad without being a major problem to others. Our sin is ultimately hurts God and in ways we cannot possibly know in regards to those who are suffering without God. You may have convinced yourself of the lie that you do not need God, but you do need Him. This life is never truly satisfying if you don't have the Lord in your life. You will think you are morally good when in reality, you are not. God will judge all wicked men who reject Him and who do sinful things (Whether those sins be big or small).

You said:
I don’t refrain from killing people because I might get caught by the police and punished. I refrain from killing people because I’ve decided that it’s wrong to me.

That is good. God placed that inside of you and it is good that you recognize it. Many bury their moral conscience these days and commit horrible acts of sin. But you are not off the hook as far as being good is concerned just because you don't kill, and or do other major horrible things. God's standard of what is good and righteous needs to be met. You have sins that can condemn you according to God. They need to be forgiven. So you need to go Jesus and seek His forgiveness in order to be forgiven of them. This will then eventually lead to a changed heart whereby your life of being selfless in serving the Lord and in loving all people (Including the poor and your enemies).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThievingMagpie

Jun 5, 2018
London
✟64,205.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, most people are sinful and they are going to kill, rape, and do all manner of sick things.

That's quite an assertion. My experience of most people is that they just want to live peacefully. Sure I've witnessed acts of cruelty but they've been far outweighed by small acts of kindness.

Who have you been hanging out with?

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's quite an assertion. My experience of most people is that they just want to live peacefully. Sure I've witnessed acts of cruelty but they've been far outweighed by small acts of kindness.

Who have you been hanging out with?

Just turn on the news. It's always bad. I always hear about a gun shoot out or some kind of break in happening in my city. Go out and take a drive into traffic in a big city and they are going to cut you off and or almost kill you by the way they drive. They ride on your bumper at highway speeds. Well, I live in a big city in Texas and it is always like this:

full

The Bible says, "And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold." (Matthew 24:12).

Also, the standard of holiness is not by your standard; But it is by God's standard; And God says that men shall be lovers of their own selves, who blaspheme the name of God, who are unthankful, without natural affection, despise those who are good (Christians), are lovers of pleasure more than lovers of God. They have a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.

1 "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
9 But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was." (2 Timothy 3:1-9).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,185,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If the majority of people committed murder society would collapse.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,185,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Just turn on the news. It's always bad. I always hear about a gun shoot out or some kind of break in happening in my city. Go out driving into traffic in a big city and they are going to cut you off and or almost kill you by the way they drive.
A better choice would be to look at the crime rates in the US and how they are declining and have been for decades.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A better choice would be to look at the crime rates in the US and how they are declining and have been for decades.

Reported crimes is not the same as crimes we cannot report. The crimes against God are growing and you do not have anyone accept God who is truly aware of such a thing. Then there are the sins that you don't think are sins, too (That have grown in our nation). I know. I was not born yesterday. Things are not as good as they once were. I have seen immoral acceptance in our culture as it being okay. You also cannot leave your doors unlocked like back in the day. You cannot just trust people like you used to. There is a reason for that. The Bible is true.

Upvote 0