Hindu dominated India - Largest Democracy on Earth
Sep 11, 2004
New Delhi
✟3,888.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
I am creating this thread just to know and understand your views and impressions about Hinduism. What do you think of this ancient and third largest world religion with billion adherents.

1) What do you like in this religion, what you don't like, what look strange to you, any concept that attracts you most or any concept that you think is very difficult to grab.

2) and what do you think about your level of knowledge related to Hinduism. Have you really study Hinduism or your good, bad and confused impressions/Views are because of media, friends and gossips?

Aethelfrith

Cyning
May 22, 2009
Northumbria
✟15,208.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I am creating this thread just to know and understand your views and impressions about Hinduism. What do you think of this ancient and third largest world religion with billion adherents.

1) What do you like in this religion, what you don't like, what look strange to you, any concept that attracts you most or any concept that you think is very difficult to grab.

I like most features of this religion. I like the fact that one is not saved due to some belief in a dead messianic carpenter or some-such, but in the fact you as a soul (atman) will save yourself by living honourable lives and thus shall reunite with Brahman upon finding enlightenment/release (moksha).

2) and what do you think about your level of knowledge related to Hinduism. Have you really study Hinduism or your good, bad and confused impressions/Views are because of media, friends and gossips?

I have studied Hinduism greatly. I follow many of its principals as I actually see all Indo-European faiths as expressions of the same faith, just as many of the related faiths of India joined to become Hinduism. I think that if Christianity did not become the dominant faith in Europe the European faiths and maybe even both the European and Hindu faiths would have come together more closely as they share many core principles.

I find great comfort from the religions materials of India; the 'Bhagavad Gita' being on of the most read religious texts for me.

Reactions: rahul_sharma
Upvote 0

Aethelfrith

Cyning
May 22, 2009
Northumbria
✟15,208.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I don't subscribe to -Polytheism- ~ the erroneous concept of multiple "gods" . . .

That is good as I don't subscribe to -Christian "Monotheism"- ~ the erroneous concept of three "gods" that its adherents claim is one "god". . .

Upvote 0

Aethelfrith

Cyning
May 22, 2009
Northumbria
✟15,208.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I don't subscribe to -Polytheism- ~ the erroneous concept of multiple "gods" . . .

So you felt the need to post the same thing twice?

Also Hinduism is probably less Polytheistic than mainstream (note: mainstream) Christianity as Christianity pretty much has three distinct beings in "Heaven" (and it does as evidenced by 'Revelations' in the Bible) the Father, Son and Holy Ghost....not including the sacred feminine/fertility goddess that is Mary. At the topmost pinnacle of Hinduism is Brahman, the whole, the universe...oneness.

I have nothing against these concepts to be honest I just don't like the hypocrisy of mocking other faiths when your own is somewhat inconsistent in many such regards.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I have a very minimal understanding of Hinduism, and that was after taking a class in college which I took to fill a non-Western and writing requirement. I've read the Bhagavad Gita and the short versions of some of the myths in the "Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology" by Tonny Rizzo and Aurthur Cotterell.

I love the myths and the artwork is exquisite.

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟79,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I've had a lot of positive experiences with Hinduism and feel it is fascinating to study.. Years ago I was in an Ashram for about four months and learned a lot from Swami Prabhavananda one of the authors along with Christopher Isherwood of a translation of the Bhagavad Gita ...

Later I was a Yoga instructor at a Hindu Temple and learned some Sanskrit from the priest..

I take the rich symbolism of Hinduism as a kind of language in itself..

I also appreciate that India has taken in refugees from oppression such as the Tibetan Buddhists, Zoroastrains and more recently Baha'is.. Maybe the Lotus Temple of New Delhi could be seen as a thank offering...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rahul_sharma

Sep 11, 2004
New Delhi
✟3,888.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
I also appreciate that India has taken in refugees from oppression such as the Tibetan Buddhists, Zoroastrains and more recently Baha'is.. Maybe the Lotus Temple of New Delhi could be seen as a thank offering...

Its on the other side of my city, delhi. I love to visit this spiritual and peaceful temple. I still remember my school days when our school used to arrange trips to various places and lotus temple was always favourite place for us. As kids we used to ask teachers..You say its temple but where are the Gods? :D...and answer was always same, God is one and everywhere...just close your eyes, fold your hands and pray the way you always do. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rahul_sharma

Sep 11, 2004
New Delhi
✟3,888.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
I find great comfort from the religions materials of India; the 'Bhagavad Gita' being on of the most read religious texts for me.

For me "Bhagavad Gita" is like someone talking and helping me personally like Lord Krishna helped Arjuna to understand the secrets of life, spirituality, universe and beyond.

You are none other than "Arjun" when you are reading this holy book.

Upvote 0

redwards

I doubt it.
Dec 3, 2008
Atlanta, GA
✟15,272.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I have poor knowledge of Hinduism. I'm able to name a few of the gods... Shiva, Kali, Brahma, Parvati, Hanuman, Ganesh, Vishnu, his avatar Krishna... probably a few others if I thought about it for a long time. I generally know what the 'areas of expertise' of the gods I can think of are, and what they are purported to look like, but not a lot more about them than that. I recall something about the difference between the Vedic and Brahmanic, but I couldn't really tell you what it is.

My understanding is also that Hinduism is practiced in so many different ways by so many different people that, in some sense, it's pointless to call it one religion (thought the same could arguably be said about almost any religion).

What I do know of it I've learned entirely through my own reading. I've never discussed Hinduism with a Hindu, nor, to my great regret, been to India. My general impressions of Hinduism is that it seems a whole hell of a lot more interesting than any of the monotheisms, and I love the diversity of it all. Unfortunately, I also get the sense that, without intense study, I'd never be able to make heads or tails of it.

Upvote 0

GabrielWithoutWings

Strolling through Naraka
Jul 25, 2006
Gainesville, Georgia
✟9,703.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have poor knowledge of Hinduism. I'm able to name a few of the gods... Shiva, Kali, Brahma, Parvati, Hanuman, Ganesh, Vishnu, his avatar Krishna... probably a few others if I thought about it for a long time. I generally know what the 'areas of expertise' of the gods I can think of are, and what they are purported to look like, but not a lot more about them than that. I recall something about the difference between the Vedic and Brahmanic, but I couldn't really tell you what it is.

My understanding is also that Hinduism is practiced in so many different ways by so many different people that, in some sense, it's pointless to call it one religion (thought the same could arguably be said about almost any religion).

What I do know of it I've learned entirely through my own reading. I've never discussed Hinduism with a Hindu, nor, to my great regret, been to India. My general impressions of Hinduism is that it seems a whole hell of a lot more interesting than any of the monotheisms, and I love the diversity of it all. Unfortunately, I also get the sense that, without intense study, I'd never be able to make heads or tails of it.

I agree with pretty much all of this.

I'll also add that Hinduism references a lot of geographic locations specific to the Indus Valley area. The Ganges River, for example, doesn't have quite the same 'oomph' to me as it would someone who lives in India.

It seems that any godform that brings a human closer to Brahman (or Vishnu, or Shiva, whatever your choice high god might be) would be valid. If all of the gods of India are simply masks or facets of Brahman, then why wouldn't all godforms be facets of Brahman, even self-created ones?

Why couldn't the Tennessee River be a holy river?

Hinduism seems both very ethnic and culture based, yet universal at the same time. Gives me a headache.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dharma Wheel

Wandering Hermit
May 21, 2009
England
✟16,267.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
That is good as I don't subscribe to -Christian "Monotheism"- ~ the erroneous concept of three "gods" that its adherents claim is one "god". . .

Exactly, though I personally do not subscribed to any gods in the mainstream theological sense, however, I believe that some gods are more enlightened than others and thus worthy of respect.

I find the monotheistic supremacy of Christianity to be erroneous and rather hostile.

Upvote 0

Dharma Wheel

Wandering Hermit
May 21, 2009
England
✟16,267.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I have nothing against these concepts to be honest I just don't like the hypocrisy of mocking other faiths when your own is somewhat inconsistent in many such regards.

Christians should not be allowed to say such blasphemies against other faiths in this forum, just as non-Christians are not allowed to in Christian sections; in fact I am sure that they are not.

Hinduism is the oldest continuous faith in the world. It contains many wisdoms concerning enlightenment and life and though I do not agree with all of it, I respect it greatly and enjoy reading Hindu holy texts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dharma Wheel

Wandering Hermit
May 21, 2009
England
✟16,267.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The Nicene Creed clearly states One God.

And?

I don't anyone here agrees with the Nicene Creed and certianly you have NO prove that your religion is the truth. It seems to me that you are merely a Christian agitator.

Upvote 0

Penumbra

Traveler
Dec 3, 2008
United States
✟18,536.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
From what I know, I respect Hinduism more than the western religions. I like how many Hindu groups don't condemn all other religions as false and useless. I think reincarnation is a bit more reasonable and a better explanation about life than judgment. Karma is an interesting concept. Arjuna's character in the Bhagavad Gita resonates with me more than Moses or Jesus or other figures in western religious stories.

What turns me off is how distant and unapproachable it seems. There are so many names of devas, so many different cultural practices throughout India's history. It's such a diverse religion that it seems untouchable. I feel like I'd have to be born in India's culture to understand it with any depth. There are (were?) caste system issues. Nearly every time I talk to a Hindu, they go against everything I heard the last Hindu tell me about Hinduism, including the very core, most fundamental concepts like what the end goal is or what god really is.

My only knowledge comes from reading the Bhagavad Gita twice, from taking a class on world religions in college, and from talking to Hindus.

From what I understand, there are many, many different scriptures so I only know a sliver of what makes up Hinduism. I try to understand religions as best as I can, and since Hinduism is one of the larger ones, I've put a reasonable amount of effort into it.

-Lyn

Upvote 0

Penumbra

Traveler
Dec 3, 2008
United States
✟18,536.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private

The Nicene Creed clearly states One God.
What the Nicene Creed says and what is described and believed in appear to be two different things.

How do you define a "god"?

In Christianity, there is God the Father, who is the creator. Then there is Jesus, his son, who says the Father is greater than him. But he's God also, apparently. Then there's the Holy Spirit. These three are called "God", yet they interact with each other (like, Jesus prays to the Father), and sacrifice themselves to each other or themselves or however it is defined.

Then there is Satan, this enemy of God that is powerful enough to lead millions of people away, create false religions, oppose God for thousands of years, and cause all sorts of trouble.

So far that looks like four gods.

Then for a Catholic and some Orthodox, there is also Mary, the mother of God. The last pope that was shot claimed Mary saved him. There are prayers to her, "Hail Mary, mother of God". Then there is an entire array of saints that you can pray to help you out. Some believe they go through god to help you, but still, they are prayed to.

Taking all this into account, how is Hinduism polytheistic and Christianity Monotheistic? If anything I'd say Hinduism is more inclined towards monotheism than Christianity, because most Hindus I've talked to believe that at the center of all the devas, there is one underlying essence. Some call it Brahman, Vishnu, Krishna, Ishvaru, or other things, and that this essence is what is really god. Christianity, at it's heart, is a triune god. It can't be further condensed than three-in one separate personalities. It's not monotheistic in the sense that Islam and Judaism are strictly monotheistic.

-Lyn

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.