What do you think impedes Christian-themed content from crossing over to mainstream?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'm working with a friend to produce some Christain themed content and we developed this video as a test case to cut our teeth a bit and to get a feel for if people like it, don't like it, etc

The question I'd like to ask you guys is, what Christian theme content that you liked crossed over (or failed to cross over) to the mainstream and why or why not in your opinion?

What are your thoughts for why some things crossed over or why some concepts don't do well or are misrepresented etc...

Lastly, if you have any feedback for the video that would be awesome as well

thanks for any and all help

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm working with a friend to produce some Christain themed content and we developed this video as a test case to cut our teeth a bit and to get a feel for if people like it, don't like it, etc

The question I'd like to ask you guys is, what Christian theme content that you liked crossed over (or failed to cross over) to the mainstream and why or why not in your opinion?

What are your thoughts for why some things crossed over or why some concepts don't do well or are misrepresented etc...

I like the video. I have had many prayers answered in my life; one of them is for what I'm doing right now; typing on CF. I've had neuropathy in my hands for a year; and I believe that prayer is why I'm able to do that, Also God thru prayer gave me back my computer and internet connection.

People in the world will not be interested in a video about prayer because they don't believe in God or if they do that He doesn't answer prayer.
They also might be scared of seeing people pray; as it might make them question why they don't believe in God or prayer.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

What does cross over is simple stuff. Not ecumenically inclusive by virtue of its overt multiple inclusion, but by its simplicity.

Take for example, Lynyrd Skynyrd's Simple Man. There's really only one line in it that refers to anything, as such, 'religious'. "...and don't forget, son, there is someone, up above." In spite of it sounding (to some), but for that one line, non-religious, it does 'preach' a good moral, that religion teaches, (or should teach): To be honest, to not pretend, present, manipulate, mislead yourself nor others. It is one of three favorites a self-proclaimed atheist friend of mine wants played at his funeral.

There have been several more overtly religious songs that go mainstream, too, but they too are simply-themed songs. "My Sweet Lord" (George Harrison); "Day by Day" (Godspell); "Kyrie" (Mr. Mister); and of course, Edwin Hawkins' "Oh Happy Day", are either of a catchy tune, or musically impressive or otherwise musically appealing, (or both). Perhaps they are some of them popular, too, for their lyric. I don't know. I like music, and don't care much about most lyrical content.

Your video content, to my guess, would be rather intrusive to someone who might otherwise appreciate the theme and words of the song.

Also, I have to say, for myself, I generally like any music better before I see any video of it, though that is not, apparently, the case for many other people.

Probably I should say that the recording of your song did not come across to me as professional-sounding. Not that it needs to be, as we know, many songs are better in their raw originals than in the polished versions. But it sounded "muddy" to me. Overdriven, or accompanied with extraneous noise.

Other than the above thoughts, though, I very much liked your song.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I agree about it preaching to the choir alone. However the production is good. The Chosen is the new bar to follow and has crossed over to half a billion people so far (many many not Christian but happy to watch a series with soul). It does not preach but simply is magnetic in that it appeals to our emotions (as this vid does). It has become the greatest global promotor, not of Christianity but of Jesus to an unfamiliar world, simply because it talks without vanity to people rather than at them. Millions have been introduced to Jesus in a way never done before since the original apostles simply told His story without an air of superiority..

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Mark Quayle
Mark Quayle
Reminds me of the 'Sermon on the Mount'. Jesus' method there was not to Preach At, but to give hope, and display goodness, righteousness, and even the need of humans for God's faithfulness. I can't tell you the comfort it has been throughout my life: "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled."
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I think it's a quality issue mostly. There are some crossovers that do very well in the modern era. I'm thinking of 'Fr. Stu' and 'The Passion of the Christ'. I think both had the power to grab people by first not turning them off by lower production values.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
and 'The Passion of the Christ'. I think both had the power to grab people by first not turning them off by lower production values.
True about production values.. but Passion came with a built in audience, although Passion II has been delayed time and again by that same built in audience over disputes about the handling of the three days in the tomb and whether it should be Jesus in the underworld or the people left behind.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
True about production values.. but Passion came with a built in audience ...
Yes, a built-in audience. Few movies come with a built-in audience, which is an advantage for a Christian movie. It's what happens once the built-in audience has seen it. Do they convince friends and neighbors to go, or do they say 'Meh'? That is the difference a great story has and that a movie with high production values has.

A Christian film could be as appealing as the Good News was spreading through the Roman Empire. Our culture is starved for such things. A Christian movie does not have to be a failure.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Hawthorne
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
When I read the thread title, I thought it meant Christian themes like a savior, good vs evil, redemption, resurrection, the end of the world, etc. There are aspects of Christian philosophy that are mainstream. Some think these concepts are more universal & not just Christianity, but then when people describe these stories, they directly call them a “Christ figure” for example so it’s definitely in people’s heads.

But I didn’t know you were referring to Biblical stories or stories that focus clearly on the religion.

The trend has been for fantasy & sci-fi stories lately. As someone who likes history, truth is stranger than fiction. There’s so many interesting things that actually happened they could make movies of, but they don’t. Big wars, political fights, & more. We don’t even get stuff on ancient myths. Instead we get everything set in space or w/ fake races / human-like species.

I think people like escapism. They want to get away from the truth. So stories that are clearly fantastical are easy to escape to.

Christian things can be lose-lose. Not only do the atheists & agnostics wine, but even the Christians fight amongst themselves. I’ve read a few articles from Christians condemning The Chosen, The Passion of the Christ, etc.

It doesn’t help the entertainment industry is dominated by secularists. Christians know their target demographic & know how to reach them; they know their budgets, they know which Christian sects to target. They don’t worry about anyone else. So these kinds of things don’t become mainstream b/c the ones who make them don’t target the mainstream. When they do they’er made by mainstream for mainstream, (like the Noah movie that came out a few years ago) so most Christians recognize they’re a perversion & stay away.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
...The question I'd like to ask you guys is, what Christian theme content that you liked crossed over (or failed to cross over) to the mainstream and why or why not in your opinion?...
As a non religious person, I really relate to stories, whether in literature or film, that manage to show:
- the positive effects of faith on people's whole lives
- how faith has motivated great courage or great love.

What I really dont like are displays of performative praying and altered states ritual. That stuff seems really self centered to me.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What I really dont like are displays of performative praying and altered states ritual. That stuff seems really self centered to me.
It may put across the various aspects on self of prayer yes, but it is better kept to one's own closet as Jesus says.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Christian things can be lose-lose. Not only do the atheists & agnostics wine, but even the Christians fight amongst themselves. I’ve read a few articles from Christians condemning The Chosen, The Passion of the Christ, etc.
I have never heard a non-Christian whine about the Christian stuff Simon and Garfunkel did. Come to think of it I've never heard a Christian say something positive about them! You might at first think I'm talking about their stuff that has themes that are Christian, but that are also more general. Yes those deserve praise, but I am mainly talking about their very Christian only songs:

Benedictus
You Can Tell the World
Go Tell it on the Mountian
and perhaps even 7 O'clock News/ Silent Night.

I would have hoped Christians would also be pleased with some of their other stuff, like:
He Was My Brother
Sparrow
The Sun is Burning
and perhaps even the major hits
Bridge over Troubled Waters
The Sound of Silence

• Informative
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I have never heard a non-Christian whine about the Christian stuff Simon and Garfunkel did. Come to think of it I've never heard a Christian say something positive about them! You might at first think I'm talking about their stuff that has themes that are Christian, but that are also more general. Yes those deserve praise, but I am mainly talking about their very Christian only songs:

Benedictus
You Can Tell the World
Go Tell it on the Mountian
and perhaps even 7 O'clock News/ Silent Night.

I would have hoped Christians would also be pleased with some of their other stuff, like:
He Was My Brother
Sparrow
The Sun is Burning
and perhaps even the major hits
Bridge over Troubled Waters
The Sound of Silence
Many Christians are pleased with them, as a matter of fact.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hawthorne

CF Singles High Council
Sep 1, 2005
Going to and fro and up and down in the earth.
✟44,826.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
I think it's a quality issue mostly. There are some crossovers that do very well in the modern era. I'm thinking of 'Fr. Stu' and 'The Passion of the Christ'. I think both had the power to grab people by first not turning them off by lower production values.
Yes, a built-in audience. Few movies come with a built-in audience, which is an advantage for a Christian movie. It's what happens once the built-in audience has seen it. Do they convince friends and neighbors to go, or do they say 'Meh'? That is the difference a great story has and that a movie with high production values has.
It doesn’t help the entertainment industry is dominated by secularists. Christians know their target demographic & know how to reach them; they know their budgets, they know which Christian sects to target. They don’t worry about anyone else. So these kinds of things don’t become mainstream b/c the ones who make them don’t target the mainstream.

Then you've got a film like A Hidden Life from esteemed director Terrence Malick. It was well acted, beautifully photographed, and explicitly Christian, but did very poorly in the box office. I remember some great anticipation before it was released but it doesn't seem like very many people still talk about it or remember it. Now, I understand Malick veers somewhat in the direction of arthouse territory and (IIRC) A Hidden Life had a somewhat limited theatrical release, but what was the real problem? Were people turned off by some prejudice against Malick? Was it its European setting, players, and pace?

Frankly, sometimes I wonder if Christians expect Christian films to be lower budget and aren't really sure what to make of a "big budget" (I hate that term) production when one miraculously lands in their lap.

We don’t even get stuff on ancient myths.

. . . .

When they do they’er made by mainstream for mainstream, (like the Noah movie that came out a few years ago) so most Christians recognize they’re a perversion & stay away.

Respectfully, Darren Aronofsky's Noah is an ancient mythic retelling. It doesn't claim to be based on the Bible as much as on various Second Temple Jewish apocalyptic writings and legends. I suspect many Christians would have had a better time with the film had they known beforehand it was based more on 1 Enoch than on Genesis.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Then you've got a film like A Hidden Life from esteemed director Terrence Malick. It was well acted, beautifully photographed, and explicitly Christian, but did very poorly in the box office. I remember some great anticipation before it was released but it doesn't seem like very many people still talk about it or remember it. Now, I understand Malick veers somewhat in the direction of arthouse territory and (IIRC) A Hidden Life had a somewhat limited theatrical release, but what was the real problem? Were people turned off by some prejudice against Malick? Was it its European setting, players, and pace?
Two things. One is timing. Covid apprehension may have harmed it before total Covid lockdown. It was generally released in early 2020.

Second is Disney now owns it and seems maybe to have buried it. A search of Disney+ does not seem to have it available any longer. How would one even watch it now if one wanted to?

It seems a truly worthy Christian film, and one that should be in the repertoire of good films everyone should see well into the future.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There are thousands of movies and songs based on the simple Christian notion of good triumphing over evil (Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth). Is it not possible to put the ideals across without blatant advertising of a denomination? It was common to hear references to God in pop songs until the turn of this century when the me generation took over and quite frankly the tv evangelical industry ruined it for everyone. Too many Christian movies and songs today are too full of themselves to teach Jesus' simple Gospel of the Kingdom. It sadly comes off more like my ol' man can beat your ol' man or worse yet.. look at me. But also take into consideration that people are not going to invest time or money in something cheaply made, what we used to call B movies, unless it would be an economical Saturday afternoon matinee style long gone from theatres. but still finding a home in churches or say on TUBI.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.