May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I didn't know until just now that it is a law that you have to place your hand over your heart and face the flag when the National Anthem is played.

So what do you think about this?

37A04A89C34AF12DBEA8E6029D82F.jpg

Some conservative bloggers are furious about a photo showing Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama without his hand on his heart during the playing of "The Star-Spangled Banner." Obama has countered that the photo was taken during the national anthem, not the Pledge of Allegiance—so he didn't have to. Is that true?
No. According to U.S. law, a civilian like Obama is supposed to stand up when the anthem is played, take off his hat, face the flag, and put his right hand over his heart. Members of the military can keep their hats on and salute instead of placing their hands on their hearts.

Tinkerbell33

Feb 24, 2007
✟34,871.00
Marital Status
Private
I didn't know until just now that it is a law that you have to place your hand over your heart and face the flag when the National Anthem is played.

So what do you think about this?
no opinion on it, but that might be because I'm not American.

Upvote 0

deliciousBass

Contributor
Oct 1, 2006
DC Metro
✟27,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I knew this because I was in the Army and we always had to salute the flag and the civilians would place their hands over their hearts.

I'm not voting for Obama anyway so it doesn't really matter to me. Personally, I feel that if you aren't loyal to your country, you need to get the hell out of here. It's kinda pathetic that a U.S. Senator doesn't know this though.

Upvote 0

Tinkerbell33

Feb 24, 2007
✟34,871.00
Marital Status
Private
So how would you feel about it if it were your country? Are there any laws regarding protocol for when the anthem is played?

Just curious. :)
I don't think there are any laws about it.

What do you think of it?

I think it's a bit weird to be honest, because you should only pledge your allegiance to God and not to a country.

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
The Star Spangled Banner was written as an ode to the war with the British Troops after the pilgrims left for America b/c they no longer wanted to be ruled under the Church of England. It is, in essence, a hymnal about this nation's religious war. Because of that, I see it as a tribute to God, too. When we sing it, we are proclaiming that we were/are proud to fight for our right to worship Him the way we choose. America has evolved over the years into many different forms of freedom being sought here, but religious freedom was the cornerstone on which America was built.

JMHO

Upvote 0

Tinkerbell33

Feb 24, 2007
✟34,871.00
Marital Status
Private
The Star Spangled Banner was written as an ode to the war with the British Troops after the pilgrims left for America b/c they no longer wanted to be ruled under the Church of England. It is, in essence, a hymnal about this nation's religious war. Because of that, I see it as a tribute to God, too. When we sing it, we are proclaiming that we were/are proud to fight for our right to worship Him the way we choose. America has evolved over the years into many different forms of freedom being sought here, but religious freedom was the cornerstone on which America was built.

JMHO
I didn't know that, thanks for posting.

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
You're welcome. It's one of the reasons that I get frustrated with people trying to remove the pledge from our schools b/c it has God's name in it. I just think it's really ironic that they are condemning something that is directly tied to the very history that gives them their right to come here and enjoy religious freedom, etc. They're so offended by "God" but not offended by the freedom that they have been given that Christians fought for originally.

Again - JMHO. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

traingosorry

I'm what Willis was talkin' bout.
Mar 10, 2004
✟14,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Personally, I think it's irreverent, but I'm more concerned about those who act patriotic, but don't truly have the countries best interest at heart, only their own selfish political motives.

Yeah, I'm with this guy.

It doesn't bug me so much if someone doesn't follow all the rules to a T like Obama, but it irks me when people are disrespectful during the anthem and don't at least take off their hats.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It certainly wasn't a smart move on Obama's part...you'd think he'd know to be sure to show respect for our country even if he didn't know it was a law...

Yeah but you see a lot of people who just stand up straight though.

I'm not going to vote for Barrack "Lets invade Pakistan" Obama anyways but I really think that this kind of thing is way overrated.

There are a lot better reasons to dislike Obama and every other candidate then this.

Reactions: Wren
Upvote 0

dluvs2trvl

What You See Is What You Get!
Nov 9, 2006
Washington
✟46,536.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Yeah but you see a lot of people who just stand up straight though.

I'm not going to vote for Barrack "Lets invade Pakistan" Obama anyways but I really think that this kind of thing is way overrated.

There are a lot better reasons to dislike Obama and every other candidate then this.
I never said that I disliked him...where did you get that from :scratch:

I just said that it wasn't a smart move on his part...if you're running for the office of the President - then I would think that you would know to place your hand on your heart to show your loyalty and respect to the country that you some day hope to hold the number one office of...

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green

I just said that it wasn't a smart move on his part...if you're running for the office of the President - then I would think that you would know to place your hand on your heart to show your loyalty and respect to the country that you some day hope to hold the number one office of...
Agreed, but better that he show his true colors now, rather than after he would be in office.

I never cared for John Kerry - then after his slam against the military, I knew why.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Oh ok yeah I understand.

Upvote 0